Free Agency/Trades

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Free Agency/Trades

Postby obiken » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:31 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:No, it wasn't. Getting hurt when you're needed in the playoffs is seriously problematic. Seahawks no longer want that risk or that problem. They gave him 5 years. That was plenty. Not sure why you think otherwise.

Thats it, RP was a walking MASH unit every season, see ya and we wish you well.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:38 am

[quote="NorthHawk"]They clearly don't think either QB on the roster is the long term answer with the signings being for only a few years for Geno and 1 year for Lock. QB at 5 is still a strong possibility.
I still don't get why they would add $3M to Lock's salary ($1M to $4M or more) without expecting him to play.

We signed a LB in Devin Bush. He looked good coming out of college but after his ACL he wasn't the same player. In reading comments from some Steeler fans they seem to think that he now avoids contact. Perhaps a change of scenery will give him a fresh start. So we are currently short 2 ILBs at the moment after losing Barton and Muse and Brooks might not be ready for the year. Maybe someone in the draft will be there, but it does fill some of the void.[/quote ]

Geno is signed for 3 years. Russ demanded only 4 years so he could be back at the feed trough a year sooner(till it was time to fleece the waltons)
. So whats the difference? Oh yeah 1 year and the money half as much or less. We could have a Lombardi in a year or 2 if we build this team around defense and smash mouth offense. Looks like a good start. Signed a center too BTW.

As for Lock he said before free agency he loves it here but he wants a chance to start. After Genos signing he knows its not likely barring Geno collapsing or getting hurt.
How do we know some other QB poor team didn't want to come kick the tires for more than Seattle was offering in this QB starved league? 4 million for an experienced in this system backup with the kind of physical tools he has isn't too bad. QBs are scarce. Mayfield got 8.5 from Tampa.

Kinda like my hypothesis Penny wanted to GTFO of this house of horrors and away from the ruthless fans which is why he took 1.2, certainly less than Seattle had offered. Its not always about what our FO wants.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:23 am

You're right. $4 Million for a backup QB these days isn't that bad as QB salaries have been going through the roof.
I failed to consider that last year was the last on his entry level contract so it was valued like it was 4 years ago and not a negotiated 2nd contract.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:42 am

NorthHawk wrote:You're right. $4 Million for a backup QB these days isn't that bad as QB salaries have been going through the roof.
I failed to consider that last year was the last on his entry level contract so it was valued like it was 4 years ago and not a negotiated 2nd contract.

Yes within the last 18 months its gone insane. I heard Lamar Jackson turned down 5 years 290 million due to not enough guaranteed money .A guy who has missed a lot of time hurt. This Rogers to the Jets saga is surreal. What fan in either GB or NY would want the head case?
I feel like Pete and John are going to try a different model, at least next couple years of bypassing the elite whatever you call it, *franchise* guy and everything that goes with it. Spend it elsewhere.
With the light cap hit of our 2 QBs we're at the banquet table in FA. As bad as it is for qb talent around the league I frankly expected someone to take a run at Drew. I was glad for Genos success but still intrigued by Lock.

Hooker in the second would be perfect but dont be shocked if someone reaches on him in the first. His tape and numbers are that good. I've heard he would be top 10 at worst without getting hurt.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:46 am

[quote="obiken" ]J A is a bust, we got took by the Jets, they saw Pete coming and that is not Jamal's fault, but we need to move on.[/quote]

Really?? No doubt it hasn't worked out, but you think the Jet's saw injuries coming? The guy showed his talent on the field when healthy....
TriCitySam
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:48 am

I think they set themselves up for drafting a top QB when they traded Wilson. There's no reason to not select a QB who could start for the next decade or more if that player is available. QB is far too hard to find so giving that chance up to build a base would be out of character for JS. After all, even when we had Wilson he was sniffing around Mahomes and Allen to the point that there were reports of trading Wilson for the #1 pick when Allen was draftable.
We'll see how it ends up.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:17 am

NorthHawk wrote:I think they set themselves up for drafting a top QB when they traded Wilson. There's no reason to not select a QB who could start for the next decade or more if that player is available. QB is far too hard to find so giving that chance up to build a base would be out of character for JS. After all, even when we had Wilson he was sniffing around Mahomes and Allen to the point that there were reports of trading Wilson for the #1 pick when Allen was draftable.
We'll see how it ends up.

Thats it!! IN the age of QB's we resign Geno and Lock, give me a break, its bad enough for the Niners to do the QB by committee we are not the Niners, not even close.
obiken
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:45 am

Julian Love is now a Seahawk. I think this makes Adams a post June 1 cut for sure. https://nypost.com/2023/03/17/seahawks- ... lian-love/
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:33 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Julian Love is now a Seahawk. I think this makes Adams a post June 1 cut for sure. https://nypost.com/2023/03/17/seahawks- ... lian-love/

Seems so, or maybe his recovery isn’t going so well.
I heard somebody say (can’t remember who) that we played a lot of 3-3-5 Defense last year. This could also fit if they intend to do more of that this year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:43 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I heard somebody say (can’t remember who) that we played a lot of 3-3-5 Defense last year. This could also fit if they intend to do more of that this year.

Yeah we want to play with 3 safeties so even if Adams is healthy this can work, but Love is a great fit. Great signing. He fits our system well and was a very good player in NY. This excites me way more than Devin Bush.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:56 pm

It's not that there isn't a fit for all of our safeties with Love on board, it's a money thing; cutting Adams after June was is more that $8M cap savings. Love's not a better player than Adams necessarily but he's a quality starter and defensive team captain last year so he makes carrying Adams at that cost a luxury as opposed to a necessity.

We're killing FA this year!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:43 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:It's not that there isn't a fit for all of our safeties with Love on board, it's a money thing; cutting Adams after June was is more that $8M cap savings. Love's not a better player than Adams necessarily but he's a quality starter and defensive team captain last year so he makes carrying Adams at that cost a luxury as opposed to a necessity.

We're killing FA this year!

I agree that Adams contract is an albatross and needs to be dealt with. Diggs, Love, and Neal would be a good trio. The only problem with cutting Adams this year is two years worth of dead money (10 mil this year and 14 next year). I would almost rather pay him 8 mil this year and see if he can play at a high level again and then cut him next year... it would still hurt finically but at least it would only be 14 mil in dead money total instead of 24.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:59 pm

mykc14 wrote:
I agree that Adams contract is an albatross and needs to be dealt with. Diggs, Love, and Neal would be a good trio. The only problem with cutting Adams this year is two years worth of dead money (10 mil this year and 14 next year). I would almost rather pay him 8 mil this year and see if he can play at a high level again and then cut him next year... it would still hurt finically but at least it would only be 14 mil in dead money total instead of 24.

I'm reading now that we may use Jamaal at Will LB if Love starts.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:15 pm

I am totally OK with Jamal at WLB. Hopefully that is the plan. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to cut him before June 1 or after June 1. He can be a very dominant player and maybe weak side linebacker will be his niche.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:24 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Julian Love is now a Seahawk. I think this makes Adams a post June 1 cut for sure. https://nypost.com/2023/03/17/seahawks- ... lian-love/

Adams and Diggs could both go and we would still not be in the top 5 of "dead cap space" -- It really is a game. How can Love have great stats from last year, 124 tackles, 2 Int, a sack... and get paid peanuts compared to Adams and Diggs. Reputation is a b****.

The last couple of days, keeping Ryan Neal, Bush and now with Love, that's a nice present for the team and fans ending the first week of FA.

I like that the management team seems to have the same opinion of last years team and what we needed going forward. Only big loss to me is Homer.
I hope we see Poona and Bruce come back, too.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:32 pm

Devin Bush looks like a real solid signing. Be nice to see him get back to his rookie season levels.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:55 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:I'm reading now that we may use Jamaal at Will LB if Love starts.

Oh thats good Cbob, lets put JA at LB and see how long he last vs safety, come on its time to cut bait with JA and be done with it!!!!
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:26 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I'm reading now that we may use Jamaal at Will LB if Love starts.

Oh thats good Cbob, lets put JA at LB and see how long he last vs safety, come on its time to cut bait with JA and be done with it!!!![/quote]
I tend to agree with Obi here . Adams #1 issue is injuries , by a mile . This is an awful one on a non contact injury . In theory he could lose a bit of speed and still play the position . He’s just too light in general . He will be hurt again . I don’t understand the cap ramifications etc but I don’t think we can ever count on him again after this last one .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:24 am

If we cut him we would have to pay the rest of his guaranteed salary.
But if we do cut him with a designation of post June 1st then we can spread the Cap hit over two years.
So let's say he's owed $20M.
If we cut him without the post June 1st designation then our Cap gets hit for $20M this year. If we use the post June 1st designation we suffer a Cap hit of $10M this year and next.
For a team like the Bears with I think had about $60M in Cap space it might make sense to use $20M this year to not get hit by the $10M charge next year if they have some big contracts coming up for renewal.
For most cases it works better to spread out the Cap hit over time, but like the Bears example not always.

If you go to Spotrac you can see the difference in pre and post June 1st cuts regarding the Cap. Just click on the red x on the 2023 line and it will show it..

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-sea ... ams-21747/
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:06 pm

I just read about this trade proposal with Washington for our #5 overall:

Seahawks receive: 2023 first-round pick (No. 16), 2023 fourth-round pick (No. 118), 2024 first-round pick

Commanders receive: 2023 first-round pick (No. 5)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/100 ... -each-team

The Commanders, thinking that they're just a player or two away from being a legitimate contender, are in the market for a quarterback, the penciled in starter being the uninspiring Sam Howell. However, as we've all noted, there is a risk that all 4 of the top QB's could all be gone by the time Pick #5 rolls around.

From our POV, I really like this proposal. For one, we would still have two top 20 draft picks and should come out with at least one if not both of them becoming reliable starters. Secondly, it gives us a #1 pick to put in the bank, and playing in a tough division, there's a chance that the Commanders could do a Denver-like face plant in 2023, plus a 4th rounder isn't anything to sneeze at.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:22 pm

That would be a draft day trade if it were to happen, and then only if one of the three top passers were still available and if we didn't want one for ourselves. Almost certainly a top edge rusher could still be had at 16.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:57 pm

RiverDog wrote:I just read about this trade proposal with Washington for our #5 overall:

Seahawks receive: 2023 first-round pick (No. 16), 2023 fourth-round pick (No. 118), 2024 first-round pick

The Commanders, thinking that they're just a player or two away from being a legitimate contender, are in the market for a quarterback, the penciled in starter being the uninspiring Sam Howell. However, as we've all noted, there is a risk that all 4 of the top QB's could all be gone by the time Pick #5 rolls around.

From our POV, I really like this proposal. For one, we would still have two top 20 draft picks and should come out with at least one if not both of them becoming reliable starters. Secondly, it gives us a #1 pick to put in the bank, and playing in a tough division, there's a chance that the Commanders could do a Denver-like face plant in 2023, plus a 4th rounder isn't anything to sneeze at.

But its pure fantasy.....Alex Kay has no knowledge of what the Commanders or the Seahawks might want to do. Actually, it's repeated on several sites, so not sure if it's Alex's fantasy or someone elses.
TriCitySam
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:06 pm

The Seahawks are also in the market for a QB, so why would they do that?
If the QB they are interested in is there at 5, there’s a good chance we will take him.
That chance won’t come along again for a long time. There are lots of DL and others that can be found throughout the draft.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:44 am

NorthHawk wrote:The Seahawks are also in the market for a QB, so why would they do that?
If the QB they are interested in is there at 5, there’s a good chance we will take him.
That chance won’t come along again for a long time. There are lots of DL and others that can be found throughout the draft.

Oh they would, they are that dumb, we are talking about the same folks that gave up 2 first and a 2 for Adams!! When are we ever going to be bad enough to get a top 10 pick little own a spot at #5; even when we are paid to be bad, we are mediocre!! 9-7 7-9, I got so tired of football purgatory all those years I wanted to perpetually puke!
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:32 am

But the evidence shows 2 QBs on short term contracts. It suggests they are setting the table for a young QB to learn for a year without the pressure normally foisted upon top QB draft picks.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:46 am

NorthHawk wrote:But the evidence shows 2 QBs on short term contracts. It suggests they are setting the table for a young QB to learn for a year without the pressure normally foisted upon top QB draft picks.

I’m not sure about this . They have Geno signed mid term their choice . While we agree Locks deal at 4 million isn’t bad it’s serious backup money . I’d be curious if there’s any out in the contract for less money . If not I’m not aware of a time we carried 3 QBs into a regular season . Correct me if I’m wrong on that . I am aware of a coach who started a third round runt over the #2 free agent signing . So who knows what they do .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:12 am

NorthHawk wrote:But the evidence shows 2 QBs on short term contracts. It suggests they are setting the table for a young QB to learn for a year without the pressure normally foisted upon top QB draft picks.

Agreed. Doesn't rule out drafting a QB. It may mean they aren't married to getting a QB at #5. Draft a later prospect with tools and promise, and he gets to sit for a year behind two experienced qbs and just learn. Participates in the all the off season stuff, training camp, pre season, practices, and film room study; all that with zero pressure to start in his rookie year. Not bad at all.

The FO is setting themselves up very nicely for the draft.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:14 am

RiverDog wrote:I just read about this trade proposal with Washington for our #5 overall:

TriCitySam wrote:But its pure fantasy.....Alex Kay has no knowledge of what the Commanders or the Seahawks might want to do. Actually, it's repeated on several sites, so not sure if it's Alex's fantasy or someone elses.

Oh, I understand that it's pure fantasy. But I do think it's an indication of what kind of offer we might receive should a team want to move up 10 or so slots to our spot, ie a nice trade for us but not anywhere near the scale of what the Niners gave up to move up 6 spots to draft Trey Lance.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:12 pm

I don't know how good PFF's Draft Simulator is, I assume not very good: just traded down 3 times and wound up with: Nolan Smith, Bijan Robinson, Mazi Smith, Steve Avila, Jack Campbell, John Michael Schmitz and Hendon Hooker, Garrett Williams AND I still have #'s 83, 86, 122, 125, 127, 152, 155 left....let me correct that I KNOW their simulator is not very good :D
TriCitySam
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:40 pm

So we signed Julian Love at S for what’s reported to be 2 years for $12 Million.
Something has to give as that puts the cap hit to be around $42M for the 3 Safeties and if we add in Neal’s tender it’s around $44M for 2023.
I would expect some contract restructuring or cuts before it’s all said and done.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:06 pm

Collier to the Cardinals.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:09 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:Collier to the Cardinals.

In a trade? Or they signed him to try for what? The guy did nothing here. He absolutely sucks.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:20 pm

He was a FA. One year deal. New scene not withstanding, I don’t think the expectations are high.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:33 am

It looks like we've replaced most of, if not all of the DL this off season.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HawkSis » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:22 pm

I apologize that my first three posts are repetitive & a bit dated, but I’ve been waiting to say something for sooooooo long, I’m gonna do it before I get washed away in CA flood waters. I like the way FA has gone so far and see that PCJS are setting up nicely for a good draft. The more I try and read the tea leaves, the more incorrect I’ll be (most likely). I’d be surprised if we finish day 1 of the draft without a hopeful QBOTF. Maybe Levis, more likely Hooker.
HawkSis
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:57 pm

NorthHawk wrote:It looks like we've replaced most of, if not all of the DL this off season.

No doubt. Pete was fairly emphatic in his comments after the season that performance wasn't up to par that it needed to be addressed. We signed some guys, but not enough, so who knows how this draft plays out at the top. Certainly we need DL help, and if given the opportunity both Anderson and Carter (gotta get comfortable with off the field stuff) are outstanding football players. At the same time, if JS sees what he believes is a top tier QB - can you pass? Could be a long-long time before we get another pick this high. With the signings so far, you kinda think JS wants to be in a position to be flexible and take the BPA - but does LT need trump immediate?
TriCitySam
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum