Seahawks release Al Woods

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Seahawks release Al Woods

Postby trents » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:41 pm

https://www.seahawks.com/news/seahawks-release-al-woods

I'm a little surprised at this because it seems to me he was still playing effectively. And he gave us some beef up front which we were short of. Age was probably a factor but there was nothing mentioned about his contract or salary cap dynamics.
trents
Legacy

Re: Seahawks release Al Woods

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:41 pm

That is a bit surprising.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:32 am

He’s 36 and played hurt and also missed time . I wish he were 5 years younger he’s been great . Does this mean they have to add a dog in the interior line ? Seems like it .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:43 am

Hawktawk wrote:He’s 36 and played hurt and also missed time . I wish he were 5 years younger he’s been great . Does this mean they have to add a dog in the interior line ? Seems like it .

They're gonna have to.

That's the intriguing thing about these signings and releases, that they're giving us some hints as to what they may have planned for the rest of free agency and the draft.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby govandals » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:27 am

Yeah, surprising move. Big Al was a team captain and a real leader, even though his snaps were pretty limited. I wonder why they didn't release him around the time they let Shelby Harris and QJeff go. There has to be another move coming, I cannot imagine they go into the draft with Dre'mont Jones, Jarran Reed and Myles Adams as the only guys on the Dline.
I've been hearing a lot about A'Shawn Robinson as an option. Maybe Poona is coming back? (not a good fit in my book).
I hope this move doesn't force their hand at the 20 pick. PCJS operate best when not forced into taking a certain position (LJ Collier). Mazi Smith at 20 would be fine, Maybe Keeanu Benton in round 2/3. I don't want to see them forcing a pick like Siaka Ika at 20.
govandals
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:02 am

From what I can gather there are only a few top DT/NT in this draft Smith is one of the more athletic ones if you look at his combine/workout numbers and it shows on film. I wouldn't have a problem taking him at 20. He could play NT in a 3-4 and be a very good DT in a 4-3 at around 320 - 325 LBS if we should revert back to a 4-3 at some point. Iaki is a bigger player but I've read a couple of comments that he isn't the big run stuffer we would expect.
So with so few big men in this draft, I would be fine with taking Smith at #20 and possibly set the interior of our DL up for the next decade.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:39 am

I am surprised at the timing of this as well and am sort of expecting to hear about another move in the next day or two. The Hawks have been doing a great job of hedging for the draft so it would be weird for them to go into it with such a glaring need as they really don't have a NT on the roster right now. If your plan is to draft a NT to replace Al Woods you definitely keep him on the roster until you at lest draft the next guy, it would be pretty reckless not to. Have there been any rumblings about going back to the 4-3 under? If so that might make some sense, but Woods has played in that system. I have to think we're going to hear of another signing soon.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby govandals » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:03 am

NorthHawk wrote: Iaki is a bigger player but I've read a couple of comments that he isn't the big run stuffer we would expect.

This is true in my eyes. I've watched a couple of his games, he gets pushed around too much for a guy his size.
govandals
Legacy

Postby govandals » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:06 am

mykc14 wrote: Have there been any rumblings about going back to the 4-3 under?

Pete himself said they are staying with the 3-4. I prefer the 4-3 myself, though. If they have another crappy year against the run game, maybe they will revert back.
govandals
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:40 am

As well, if Smith's career lasts 10 years, it's doubtful that Pete will still be here. For all we know he might not be here 3 years from now.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:04 am

govandals wrote:
Pete himself said they are staying with the 3-4. I prefer the 4-3 myself, though. If they have another crappy year against the run game, maybe they will revert back.

Got it thanks... If they were switching back it would have seemed like keeping Poona Ford would have been a priority.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby govandals » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:51 pm

mykc14 wrote:
Got it thanks... If they were switching back it would have seemed like keeping Poona Ford would have been a priority.

I think so too
govandals
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:33 am

They don't seem to be switching back this year, but a player like Mazi Smith could play DT or NT which is big value down the road should there be a coaching change.
Athletic 320 lb ers aren't found in this draft, it would seem unless a player taken later on surprises us.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HawkSis » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:05 pm

I loved Big Al and am surprised as well. Given that DT is a high need position for us and the FA market and draft are not littered with beasts at the position, I thought we’d keep him, even if just as a rotational/depth guy. Maybe we pick him back up?? I agree 100% that we’d keep Poona if we we’re migrating back to the 4-3. I know too that PCJS are all too aware of the woes on D, and I’m sure they are planning to address it.
HawkSis
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:56 pm

We only have about $2.4 Million in effective Cap space, according to over the cap.com so it would suggest cutting Woods was a numbers move.
We have about $40 Million invested in 3 Safeties so that might change in some manner like restructuring or cutting someone.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum