Lamar Jackson; snake oil salesman?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Lamar Jackson; snake oil salesman?

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:10 am

This is just weird, don't care how talented he is wouldn't want him on my team.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-warns- ... 07894.html
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Re: Lamar Jackson; snake oil salesman?

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:41 am

I hope he’s not headed down the rabbit hole regarding associating with hucksters or other questionable people.
But what defines negotiating? Is just contacting teams and reminding them that Lamar is available considered negotiation under NFL rules? We don’t know what the actual words were used by his business partner.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:29 pm

The snake oil salesman has requested a trade, but he hasn't generated very much enthusiasm as no one has taken a very keen interest in trading for him. It's no wonder if this is the deal he turned down:

On March 1, Baltimore general manager Eric DeCosta said he was "optimistic" the club would reach a deal with its star, who reportedly turned down an offer from the Ravens last September that included $133 million guaranteed at signing, $175 million guaranteed for injury and $200 million in total guarantees.

A $200 million deal would rank only behind the $230 million fully guaranteed five-year deal quarterback Deshaun Watson signed with the Cleveland Browns last year.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/qu ... smsnnews11
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:21 pm

He’s put himself in a no win situation.
Teams are reaching their Cap ceilings and have longer range plans so any team that thinks they would want him would have to change their plans. As well, giving up talent in the draft means they would have to do with less in the next few years.
So how many teams would want to take a massive Cap hit and cut the talent required to get under the cap and lose good draft picks for a QB that might not be happy when it’s all done?

As well, his negotiations with Baltimore seems to have created a personal rift between him and the team. It’s why good Agents are used as negotiations can get quite brutal during the process and feelings can get hurt. Would another team want to risk going through that, too after paying so much? One might think it’s worth it, but a lot won’t want to get involved in anything like it.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:50 pm

He has botched this whole thing and totally overvalued himself. He is a very good QB but teams other than the Browns are smart. They are not going to give you 50 million a year guaranteed. Speaking of the Browns they are the stupidest franchise in professional sports. The contract they gave Watson keeps getting worse and worse. It is going to cost them start players at key positions. Here are his cap hits for the rest of his contract: 19 mil, 64 mil, 64 mil, 64 mil, 9 mil (voidable year).He has three years where he is almost going to count 30% against the cap and there is nothing they can do about it because they guaranteed all of it!! I imagine they will keep adding to the voidable years and trying to lower that cap hit, but he is going to be on their books for a long time. Such a stupid contract.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:30 pm

mykc14 wrote:He has botched this whole thing and totally overvalued himself. He is a very good QB but teams other than the Browns are smart. They are not going to give you 50 million a year guaranteed. Speaking of the Browns they are the stupidest franchise in professional sports. The contract they gave Watson keeps getting worse and worse. It is going to cost them start players at key positions. Here are his cap hits for the rest of his contract: 19 mil, 64 mil, 64 mil, 64 mil, 9 mil (voidable year).He has three years where he is almost going to count 30% against the cap and there is nothing they can do about it because they guaranteed all of it!! I imagine they will keep adding to the voidable years and trying to lower that cap hit, but he is going to be on their books for a long time. Such a stupid contract.

Not only that, but he hadn't played football for well over a year and they signed him not knowing if he'd play at all in his first season due to his looming suspension.

The market for quarterbacks does seem to be topping out. Aaron Rodgers appears to be stuck in neutral, too. No one wants to be the next Denver.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:16 am

mykc14 wrote:He has botched this whole thing and totally overvalued himself. He is a very good QB but teams other than the Browns are smart. They are not going to give you 50 million a year guaranteed. Speaking of the Browns they are the stupidest franchise in professional sports. The contract they gave Watson keeps getting worse and worse. It is going to cost them start players at key positions. Here are his cap hits for the rest of his contract: 19 mil, 64 mil, 64 mil, 64 mil, 9 mil (voidable year).He has three years where he is almost going to count 30% against the cap and there is nothing they can do about it because they guaranteed all of it!! I imagine they will keep adding to the voidable years and trying to lower that cap hit, but he is going to be on their books for a long time. Such a stupid contract.

Not only that, but he hadn't played football for well over a year and they signed him not knowing if he'd play at all in his first season due to his looming suspension.

The market for quarterbacks does seem to be topping out. Aaron Rodgers appears to be stuck in neutral, too. No one wants to be the next Denver.[/quote]

Yeah Russ made lots of short former late rounders a lot of money . With how the swindling of Denver went along with Russels putrid play that gate is swinging closed . Rodgers is hung up over compensation to the packers . He’s made that plain along with his wish to be in New York . I see no way the pack can keep him regardless of what’s offered after this pr disaster . Same with Jackson saying he wants out .

And can I vent ? Of course :lol: :lol: .

When Rodgers last went to and won his only Sb Russ was a college freshman . He’s almost 40. He’s lost his last 3 playoff games and a play in game at home vs Detroit . Oh but he’s the missing piece. How ????

Lamar has missed something like 14 starts last 2 years , both seasons end . He had a diagnosis of 2-3 games and missed the last 5 plus a competetive playoff loss . There are suspicions he grounded himself healthy from a playoff game .
He’s never won a divisional and looked dreadful the year he won MVP. Where’s the beef. Josh Allen hasn’t done squat yet either WC winner divisional loser . And all theses guys are the missing piece “ franchise “ QBs . I hate the term . What is it ? Tom Brady and Pat Mahomes and everyone else is a poser till proven otherwise .
I’m rooting for Seattle and other teams not surrendering to the blackmail. We could be paying Russ 50 per to be bad on a bad team . Thanking my lucky stars for our good fortune .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:06 am

In Rodgers defense he hasn't had a good team around him - at least not good enough to win it all.
The Jets are in quite a different place. They are close to where we were in 2012/13 with an up and coming Defense but with a better Offensive scheme and some players who could be great but are young. Sometimes teams are just a very good QB away from really being a force in their conference. This might be one of those times if Rodgers really wants to make the sacrifice to get there. There's the possibility that he's not the player they think they are getting so it will be interesting to see what happens.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:50 am

NorthHawk wrote:In Rodgers defense he hasn't had a good team around him - at least not good enough to win it all.
The Jets are in quite a different place. They are close to where we were in 2012/13 with an up and coming Defense but with a better Offensive scheme and some players who could be great but are young. Sometimes teams are just a very good QB away from really being a force in their conference. This might be one of those times if Rodgers really wants to make the sacrifice to get there. There's the possibility that he's not the player they think they are getting so it will be interesting to see what happens.

I think lots of teams are “ good enough to win it all . “ it’s just there’s only 1 Lombardi per year .

Rodgers team was in the conference title game 3 years ago vs Brady who threw 3 picks and still won . Kinda like in 2014 when he wasted 4 picks by Wilson and a Baldwin fumble to boot to lose .
I think in a given year a third of the league could possibly win it all .

Gotta be good , lucky with injuries and officiating and wierd bounces . Some are bigger favorites than others but just cause QBs don’t win it’s not all the team . As a fan I would not touch Arod . What he was is gone . He is Wilson with a more annoying personality . Maybe more arm talent but not what it was and head case to the max . I have no idea what the jets are thinking .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:13 pm

I’m not sure he’s all in. He just doesn’t seem to be focused like he was earlier and last year with some new receivers he didn’t do any work with the receiving corp until TC. If he does the same with the Jets, he won’t have the success people expect even if Hackett is the OC and he knows the playbook.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:28 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I’m not sure he’s all in. He just doesn’t seem to be focused like he was earlier and last year with some new receivers he didn’t do any work with the receiving corp until TC. If he does the same with the Jets, he won’t have the success people expect even if Hackett is the OC and he knows the playbook.

There were whispers of that in gb. Wasn’t putting in the time , wasn’t in the greatest condition when he reported and that was last year. Maybe the jets will wake him up . The best pure thrower of the ball in history , incredibly gifted but it’s what’s going on in between his ears is the question .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:32 pm

There is a great player to be had there but if mismanaged you Cam Newton with an arm. I just think unless your dumb the Watson contract was an outlier.
obiken
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum