Bobby’s back!

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Bobby’s back!

Postby Stream Hawk » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:32 pm

Per Tyler, but can’t get more legit than No E.
https://twitter.com/tdlockett12/status/ ... pMkhpLC7ng
It’s on:
https://sports.yahoo.com/bobby-wagner-r ... 42812.html
This is a nostalgic and needs move. Run D immediately improves.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Re: Bobby’s back!

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:02 pm

We needed someone in the middle with Brooks rehabbing.
He should add some stability at that position, but I wonder how much he has left after so many years of superior play.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:34 pm

Everybody wondered how much he had left last but was still same tackling machine he's always been. To be clear he's not the sideline to sideline blanket he used to be but he still understands what is going on in front of him and can get to the ball like no one else!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:13 pm

From the few games I saw of the Rams he seemed to be tackling players beyond the LoS unlike in his early years where he stuffed them at or behind it. Either way it will allow Brooks to not feel pressured to return (more than normal top athletes mindset) earlier than he might otherwise do. It might also affect draft strategy this year, too.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:51 pm

Cortez Kennedy was only totally unblockable for about three years, but the rest of his time in the league he was still one of the best interior linemen in the league. You cant expect HOF caliber players to maintain that 1st team all pro level of play every year in the league. So Bobby's not the best linebacker in the league anymore, that doesn't make him useless,
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:06 pm

Not what he used to be, of course, but he knows more about LBing than anybody on the roster. He can captain the defense on the field and help bring guys along off the field. If the Seahawks bring in some rookies at LB, Wagner will pay dividends there. Given the state of the roster, I’m much happier to have him than not.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:29 pm

Cool.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:44 pm

I wonder what they’re going to do for Cap space. They are currently nearly out and won’t have any money left to pay for the draft picks. I suspect we will see some restructuring/extending and maybe cuts before it’s all over.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:14 am

Meh, not all that excited. Outside the romantic notion that he might retire as a Seahawk, there's not a lot about this signing for any of us to be spinning cartwheels and turning hand springs. There's a reason why we let Bobby walk two years ago and why the Rams are letting him walk this season, and only part of the answer has to do with money.

With all this FA splurging, it's a foregone conclusion that we're going to be doing something with Adams and/or Diggs.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:58 am

The resigning of Wags allows a "proper" healthy return of Jordyn Brooks and leadership/veteran presence on the field and in the locker room. As a future HOF he can be a "key" to unlocking a young Devin Bush (who was a monster in college) as a guiding influence...as well as any LB we draft soon?
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:14 am

Bush was really good before he got injured. Then his play kind of fell off a cliff and he hasn't been the same since.
Maybe Wags can help - we all hope he does, but some players can't get past the trauma of a serious injury and I hope Brooks isn't one of them.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:44 am

NorthHawk wrote:I wonder what they’re going to do for Cap space. They are currently nearly out and won’t have any money left to pay for the draft picks. I suspect we will see some restructuring/extending and maybe cuts before it’s all over.

No, we're good. Before the Wagner signing we had about 25 mil. If we keep all of our draft picks in their original slot it will be about 15 mil. That doesn't mean we won't make any other moves to free up cash, but it does mean we are good right now, and could still bring in a veteran DT, which I think we will do unless we draft one early.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:47 am

I'll have to see the cap hit before I get too excited about this signing. I imagine it will be close to what Levante David got (1 year 7 mil all guaranteed).
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:00 pm

Wags has become a finesse linebacker , slipping blocks and running around them instead of taking them on . He’s still getting tackles but further downfield now . He’s still a massive upgrade over Barton . We need him . Irvin was good in the locker room last year . Maybe Bobby can be that guy . I love Bobby but not expecting the reincarnation of Dick Butkus here . A guy that can help.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:01 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Wags has become a finesse linebacker , slipping blocks and running around them instead of taking them on . He’s still getting tackles but further downfield now . He’s still a massive upgrade over Barton . We need him . Irvin was good in the locker room last year . Maybe Bobby can be that guy . I love Bobby but not expecting the reincarnation of Dick Butkus here . A guy that can help.

I agree. Tackling stats are one of the most misleading graphics they track. Sure, Bobby led the Rams in tackles last year, but the Rams had a huge backslide from last year's Lombardi season, too, which has to be factored in. He led the league in tackles in the last season he was with us, but we also had what was by far the worst time of possession in the league, meaning that he had a lot more opportunities.

I'm with ya about Barton. He was a huge disappointment and one of the worst starting LB's in the league. But 'massive' upgrade? That might be a bit of a stretch. As you and others have noted, Bobby isn't nearly the same linebacker he was 5 or 10 years ago. He might be able to help take some pressure off the other guys or assume a role of a player/coach, but he's not the missing link that's going to put our defense over the top.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:36 pm

mykc14 wrote: No, we're good. Before the Wagner signing we had about 25 mil. If we keep all of our draft picks in their original slot it will be about 15 mil. That doesn't mean we won't make any other moves to free up cash, but it does mean we are good right now, and could still bring in a veteran DT, which I think we will do unless we draft one early.

According to Overthecap, we had $8.9MM of cap space BEFORE we signed Wags....not sure of the number now, but you usually figure $10MM to sign draft picks, but we have 2 first rounders. Last year the #5 and #20 totaled a little over $6MM, so I doubt $10MM does it. So, no doubt some contract restructuring....Bobby played well last year (he was the team MVP, so yes, the Rams cap situation was a factor and BW wanted to move on) and while not the old Bobby, he will provide some quality plays.
TriCitySam
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:53 pm

I believe the number Over the Cap uses is adjusted for expected expenditures.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:19 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:I believe the number Over the Cap uses is adjusted for expected expenditures.

Correct the OTC number usually has things like draft picks already accounted for. I like to use sportrac, but both are pretty good, although they almost never have the exact same number.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:56 pm

mykc14 wrote: Correct the OTC number usually has things like draft picks already accounted for. I like to use sportrac, but both are pretty good, although they almost never have the exact same number.

I guess I don't know enough about what they're doing. The '23 cap is $224.8MM per team as I understand it. If I'm reading it correctly, SportTrac lists our current top 51 at $212.1, that includes current contracts and $17.6MM of dead money. It would not include the '23 draft picks (about $16MM they say) or Wags.
TriCitySam
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:01 pm

TriCitySam wrote:
I guess I don't know enough about what they're doing. The '23 cap is $224.8MM per team as I understand it. If I'm reading it correctly, SportTrac lists our current top 51 at $212.1, that includes current contracts and $17.6MM of dead money. It would not include the '23 draft picks (about $16MM they say) or Wags.

There are definitely a lot of things I don't understand and although it seems like it should be pretty basic it is actually quite complicated, although Spotrac and OTC do a pretty good job of getting it close. An example of this is Spotrac lists the 23 cap at $224.8 million and gives us $1.5 mil in rollover cap from last year so our effective cap should be 224.8 plus 1.5 so a little over $226 million, but then it has "adjustments" and that has us at -4 mil meaning that we only have 222 million as our real cap number this year. I assume that those "adjustments" account for escalators or something written into contracts that were met but weren't accounted for last year. I'm pretty sure that if there are "escalators" or "bonuses" in contracts they only count against your cap if they are "likely to be met." Which, I believe means that they were met in the previous year. Like if somebody has a $1 mil bonus for 70 receptions that escalator would only count on this year's cap if they had 70 receptions last year. If they achieve those 70 receptions and it wasn't accounted for on that years cap it would go on the next years cap. I assume those "adjustments" for us have to do with Geno's contract from last year. With all of that being said you are right, we are close to maxed out in our cap. We need to make room for our rookies but those don't count against our cap until the contract is actually signed and I believe we need to probably sign another Free Agent DT. I assume that we will make cap room by transferring some salary into signing bonus for a player like Lockette or DK or possible Diggs if we don't release him (which doesn't look likely).
mykc14
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:49 pm

mykc14 wrote:[

There are definitely a lot of things I don't understand and although it seems like it should be pretty basic it is actually quite complicated, although Spotrac and OTC do a pretty good job of getting it close. An example of this is Spotrac lists the 23 cap at $224.8 million and gives us $1.5 mil in rollover cap from last year so our effective cap should be 224.8 plus 1.5 so a little over $226 million, but then it has "adjustments" and that has us at -4 mil meaning that we only have 222 million as our real cap number this year. I assume that those "adjustments" account for escalators or something written into contracts that were met but weren't accounted for last year. I'm pretty sure that if there are "escalators" or "bonuses" in contracts they only count against your cap if they are "likely to be met." Which, I believe means that they were met in the previous year. Like if somebody has a $1 mil bonus for 70 receptions that escalator would only count on this year's cap if they had 70 receptions last year. If they achieve those 70 receptions and it wasn't accounted for on that years cap it would go on the next years cap. I assume those "adjustments" for us have to do with Geno's contract from last year. With all of that being said you are right, we are close to maxed out in our cap. We need to make room for our rookies but those don't count against our cap until the contract is actually signed and I believe we need to probably sign another Free Agent DT. I assume that we will make cap room by transferring some salary into signing bonus for a player like Lockette or DK or possible Diggs if we don't release him (which doesn't look likely).

Anyway I cut it, would seem with Wags $7MM and $16MM for draft class, we are short. Diggs was pushing hard for him, so he may very well be the guy to restructure his contract.
TriCitySam
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:56 pm

mykc14 wrote:[

TriCitySam wrote:Anyway I cut it, would seem with Wags $7MM and $16MM for draft class, we are short. Diggs was pushing hard for him, so he may very well be the guy to restructure his contract.

You guys are forgetting about the biggest salary hog on the team and the worst return on investment, Jamaal Adams. It's a foregone conclusion that he'll be asked to restructure his albatross of a contract if not cut outright.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:27 pm

I thought the team can restructure without the player’s approval. This never made sense but I know that it was mentioned year or two back with Russell’s contract.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:41 pm

Stream Hawk wrote:I thought the team can restructure without the player’s approval. This never made sense but I know that it was mentioned year or two back with Russell’s contract.

I think they call it a "simple restructure" and it turns into a pro-rated signing bonus (payable now) with the term of the existing contract. If I understand it, you could get both Diggs and Adams down to the league minimum, but the difference is payable now, and all would roll onto '24 (cap) for Diggs and '24/'25 for Adams
Last edited by TriCitySam on Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TriCitySam
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:45 pm

Stream Hawk wrote:I thought the team can restructure without the player’s approval. This never made sense but I know that it was mentioned year or two back with Russell’s contract.

They can convert salary to cash which gives this year cap relief but it pushes that number to future years (amortized over the remaining years of the contract). If the player is cut or traded that cash total is added to the dead cap total.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:57 am

He was on the ol downslide last season and probably will continue toward social security this season, Rams have a roster built to last
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:30 am

Rambo2014 wrote:Rams have a roster built to last

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:06 am

RiverDog wrote:
You guys are forgetting about the biggest salary hog on the team and the worst return on investment, Jamaal Adams. It's a foregone conclusion that he'll be asked to restructure his albatross of a contract if not cut outright.

I'm not forgetting about him I just don't think there is anyway we can do much with his contract- yes we can outright cut him as a post June cut, but that is a huge 2 year dead money charge at almost 10 mil per year (it would free up 8 this year), but you would end up paying 24 million over two years in dead money. The best option is to keep him on the roster and hope that he fits into our new defense (remember we didn't really get to see him play in it last year). If he under performs you can get out of that contract for a one time dead money charge of 14 million or a post June charge of around 7 mil for two years. That's way more doable. If you do anything to his contract, like restructure to free up money this year all you are doing is adding more to next years dead money if you end up releasing him. an example would be lets say you take his cap hit this year (18 mil of which 11 mil is base salary). You can take that 11 mil and turn in into a signing bonus spreading it out over the final 3 years of his contract giving him cap hits of about 10 mil this year, 27 next year, and 28 in the final year. If you are OK with those cap hits it makes sense, but there is no way the Hawks are OK with that so they are going to have to cut him or add void years later on. Doing that would take his 14 million dead money charge next season and turn it into a $21 million charge that they would have to either pay at once or over 2 years. There just really isn't anything good that they can do with his contract. It's why I was frustrated when they did that with Wilson the year before they let him go. It added millions to the dead money charge when they traded him. I hope they don't touch Adams contract this year and then we see what it looks like next year. That's why Diggs is a better option because his cap hit next year is only 15 million with a 4 million dead cap if we have to release him. You can easily take his 13 salary this year, turn it into a signing bonus and save 6 million this year, while only creating 10 mil in dead cap next year if you have to release him.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:07 am

TriCitySam wrote:
I think they call it a "simple restructure" and it turns into a pro-rated signing bonus (payable now) with the term of the existing contract. If I understand it, you could get both Diggs and Adams down to the league minimum, but the difference is payable now, and all would roll onto '24 (cap) for Diggs and '24/'25 for Adams

Exactly and it makes no sense to do that with Adams and a ton of sense to do that with Diggs.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:25 am

The bottom line is we have to find $10 to $15 Million by the time the season starts. Who do we cut/trade/extend/restructure to get there?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:47 am

According to Spotrac, Bobby's contract is for $5.5 Million, not the original reported value of $7.5 Million.
It's a one year deal.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:31 am

NorthHawk wrote:According to Spotrac, Bobby's contract is for $5.5 Million, not the original reported value of $7.5 Million.
It's a one year deal.

With $1.5M incentives. I have no doubt there are other such incorrect assumptions about recent signings as well. There is such a hurry to be the first with the "updated" numbers that many such details get overlooked till later.

Several years ago (and for several years prior) I tried to play capologists too but I gave it up as just not worth the trouble as I (and everyone else) was almost never spot on until the day the teams actually had to be under the cap and full information was released.

Life's a lot less stressful now.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:07 pm

As a fan alone I see no stress in a running cap update...its a reasoning behind some difficult cuts...but John Schneider is paid very well to have a sound plan to put the best team forward in 2023. Many outside sources have given him kudos when details get released...and he does it all without league wide recognition of being one of the NFL top performing GM's in fielding a winning team consistently. I want to see the end product reflected in the team that takes the field in 2023...not stress over speculation of transparency in how our GM is operating. Go Hawks
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:33 pm

Most teams have someone in the FO who advises on and manages the Cap. I sometimes wonder if we don’t.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:38 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Most teams have someone in the FO who advises on and manages the Cap. I sometimes wonder if we don’t.

So most teams don't have a GM who controls the "purse strings"? Consider me confused...isn't cap trouble how GM's "get the axe"??
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:30 pm

They hire the people who know all of the strategies. It takes a lot of workload off of GMs so they can concentrate on player evaluations and development. They are in on how the Cap is managed but the minutia is done by others who keep the numbers up to date. Kind of like a CEO and CFO or Sr Accountant.
I don’t know if we do this or not.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:54 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Several years ago (and for several years prior) I tried to play capologists too but I gave it up as just not worth the trouble as I (and everyone else) was almost never spot on until the day the teams actually had to be under the cap and full information was released. Life's a lot less stressful now.

Colin Cowherd was talking about that yesterday CB, that and Compensatory picks! How do teams suddenly get 3 6 round picks!!
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:25 am

Beginning in the 3rd round teams are awarded compensatory picks to account for players lost to Free Agency (minus players acquired) along with extra 3rd round picks if minority coaches get hired on in either HC or GM roles.
It's not just 3rd round picks as the value of the new contract is considered in the calculations for what round the extra pick is slotted.
For instance if we had kept Wilson and not been able to re-sign him and the Broncos signed him for $160Million guaranteed we would have got a 3rd round comp pick unless we picked up a comparable FA and paid that player a similar $ amount.
We picked up Dre'Mont Jones in FA so that would impact Denver's chance at getting a Comp pick. If they haven't picked up a comparable FA then they could be awarded and extra pick from rounds 3 to 7.
It's a complicated formula, and I don't know the details of the calculations but basically if a team loses a FA and doesn't sign a comparable player in FA to replace that roster spot a Comp pick is awarded.
It doesn't apply to players being cut, just FA's that are lost.
So if we lose Ryan Neal, we won't get a Comp pick because of the addition of Jones, but if we hadn't signed any FA's we might get a 6th or 7th round comp pick.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:50 pm

Wow man, I am impressed!!
obiken
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum