Weird Beard to the Jets

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Weird Beard to the Jets

Postby RiverDog » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:51 pm

The Jets and Packers agreed to a trade Monday, a source confirmed, exactly 40 days after Rodgers publicly declared his desire to come to New York.

The trade includes a swap of first-round picks in this year’s draft. The Packers will now pick 13th overall on Thursday night and the Jets will move to 15th.

The Jets are also sending Green Bay a second-round pick (No. 42 overall) and a sixth-round pick (No. 207 overall) in this year’s draft as well as a 2024 conditional pick that will be a first-round pick if Rodgers plays 65 percent of the plays for the Jets in 2023 or a second-round pick if he does not.

In addition to Rodgers, the Jets will receive a fifth-round pick (No. 170 overall) in this year’s draft.

https://nypost.com/2023/04/24/aaron-rod ... ockbuster/

I'd give the advantage to the Jets. It's significantly less than what Denver gave us for Russell, and Rodgers is quite a bit more accomplished.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Weird Beard to the Jets

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:32 pm

Like was said when Wilson was traded, we’ll see once the draft picks are spent.
So far we seem to be ahead, but the Packers could miss on all the extra picks. Or maybe Rodgers has lost that edge and he’s just an average QB this year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby trents » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:36 pm

Rogers will be playing in a new system with new receivers. If nothing else, he might get off to a slow start.
trents
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:40 am

If he follows his last 2 years path, he won't go to OTA's, won't workout outside the team with his new wide receivers, he'll make no attempt to work with the coaches to adapt to Salah's offense and on a side note, if they lose the first 2 games, the NYC press will eat him alive (compared with GB!) and he'll retreat to only giving info to his 'buddy' Pat McAfee.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:13 am

The Jets obviously feel that they're a player away from contending and that Rodgers can get them over that hump, but I have my doubts. They finished last season losing 8 of their final 10 games, including the last 6 in a row. They play in a tough division, with the Bills and Dolphins already fielding legitimate playoff quality teams and the Pats that, even when they're not a contender, never seem to have a really bad season.

But they're the Jets, and they haven't had a decent QB for over half a century. Their head coach, Robert Saleh, will be entering his 3rd season, and obviously feels pressure to start showing results. He was 4-13 in his first season, 7-11 last year while free falling in the last half of their schedule. It's likely playoffs or bust for him.

Weirdy Beard threatened retirement if he didn't get his way, and that indicates to me that his heart is no longer in the game. However, the Jets have protected themselves somewhat by adding a stipulation that Rodgers has to play 65% of the available snaps if they are to surrender their 2024 first rounder. That likely means that if they implode, they won't lose out on a top 10 pick next year and could be in line to draft a QB. Given how flaky the Weird Beard is, I don't see him biting the bullet in a Denver-like face plant. And if they do get it turned around, that first rounder will be in somewhere in the 20's, taking some of the pain out of losing their #1. From the Jets perspective and given that it's most likely their head coach's head if they fail, I like the trade.

From the Packers' POV, they faced the likelihood of not getting anything for Rodgers if they couldn't cut a deal, and the quality of his play last season was way below par, a strong indication that he's a fading star. And as was pointed out, Rodgers had pretty much burned his bridges. This is the best that they could have hoped for.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:22 am

The Jets hired Nathaniel Hackett after he was fired from the Broncos.
He was Rodgers OC his last MVP year and has a good rapport with him. He will know the Offense better than the other players because of history with Hackett and has said he wanted to go to the Jets because of him.
He's also committed to being at all of the pre-season activities to get to know the other players.
So barring physical limitations of getting old and maybe having lost his desire to compete he should be OK playing for the Jets.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:07 am

Russel Wilson cost the Pack a lot along with Rodgers boneheaded “ 90% retired “ remarks . Where’s the beef ? He’s lost his last 3 playoff games and showed up for camp last year out of shape. Sound familiar ? 7-10 getting booed by week 4. Lol
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:24 am

It all depends on if he's motivated this year. He wasn't last year and has been at odds with the Packers GM for a few years now.
Who knows if it will make a difference this year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:37 am

NorthHawk wrote:It all depends on if he's motivated this year. He wasn't last year and has been at odds with the Packers GM for a few years now.
Who knows if it will make a difference this year.

That's just it. When a player openly talks about retiring, they don't have their heart in the game. Take a look at how Tom Brady performed after he un-retired compared to his career average. I think Rodgers is done, with one foot out the door.

But we'll see. I still think it was a good decision by the Jets to pull the trigger on the trade as the risk is relatively mild compared to similar trades yet the potential upside is huge.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:50 am

Aaron Rodgers won his only super bowl 4 years before Russel was drafted . He’s lost a conference championship to a qb who threw 3 picks (Brady ) and 1 who threw 4 as part of a 5 turnover game by his opponent Seattle . Last year he lost at home to Detroit in a play in game. Jarred Goff was better . He’s Kirk Cousins with a bad atttude these days . Jets are DUMB but it didn’t start recently . 7-10 . Maybe :D
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:29 am

NorthHawk wrote:The Jets hired Nathaniel Hackett after he was fired from the Broncos.
He was Rodgers OC his last MVP year and has a good rapport with him. He will know the Offense better than the other players because of history with Hackett and has said he wanted to go to the Jets because of him.
He's also committed to being at all of the pre-season activities to get to know the other players.
So barring physical limitations of getting old and maybe having lost his desire to compete he should be OK playing for the Jets.

Where did you hear that he committed to the JETS offseason? Did it come from Aaron or his agent (Pat McAfee), if not I won't believe it until I see it.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:44 am

It was a comment from I think Adam Schefter but maybe I’m wrong on who. I remember it because it surprised me at the time.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:23 pm

I think the Jets get one good year at best, if that.
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:33 am

With Rodgers already in NY and working with the young players, it seems he wants to make this work and he's probably excited to work with Garrett Wilson and the other WRs.
It's surely going to help Zack Wilson by just watching what Rodgers does and how he approaches teams and adversity. He may never become a great QB, but he could be a lot better than he has been. He's another one of those young QBs that would have benefited from practicing for a year and watching how the NFL and their defenses work before being thrown into the fire.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:26 am

NorthHawk wrote:With Rodgers already in NY and working with the young players, it seems he wants to make this work and he's probably excited to work with Garrett Wilson and the other WRs.
It's surely going to help Zack Wilson by just watching what Rodgers does and how he approaches teams and adversity. He may never become a great QB, but he could be a lot better than he has been. He's another one of those young QBs that would have benefited from practicing for a year and watching how the NFL and their defenses work before being thrown into the fire.

Yeah, well he's dating a new girlfriend. Let's see how long the novelty effect lasts and if he doesn't wake up in the morning staring at the 2am princess.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu May 04, 2023 9:47 am

Reported today weird beard has informed the jets he will participate in about half of off season activities as he’s flitting around attending baseball and hockey games and making appearances in sports talk media .
Green Bay may get a better pick then we did . Seriously.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu May 04, 2023 10:21 am

I can’t say I blame him for taking advantage of some of the activities available to him. There’s a lot more to do there than most places and it’s probably new to him for the most part.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat May 06, 2023 4:42 am

NorthHawk wrote:I can’t say I blame him for taking advantage of some of the activities available to him. There’s a lot more to do there than most places and it’s probably new to him for the most part.

There were more people then not saying similar things about Russ when he was jetting around in his lear all summer a year ago . Man’s got a right to have a life . Well???? How about priorities ?

you demanded a trade now you don’t want to work . You’re not going to a better more talented team then the one you went 8-9 on . You have a worse coach who has done nothing as a HC and you want to mail it in year one . Don’t say you weren’t warned .
This will be a 7 win team max. Another ugly flameout . Russ 2. Green Bay may suffer in the meantime as I don’t know if love is the answer but I’m sure everyone in that building is high fiving getting rid of that Jackass .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat May 06, 2023 6:47 am

Maybe.
But they have a far better team than Denver had and with better and more experienced coaches. They won with a couple of bad QBs so even a Rodgers with a mediocre performance could and should put them in the playoffs.
It boils down to whether he's motivated and not being at all OTA's doesn't really mean a whole lot.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat May 06, 2023 7:42 am

Hawktawk wrote:There were more people then not saying similar things about Russ when he was jetting around in his lear all summer a year ago . Man’s got a right to have a life . Well???? How about priorities ?

you demanded a trade now you don’t want to work . You’re not going to a better more talented team then the one you went 8-9 on . You have a worse coach who has done nothing as a HC and you want to mail it in year one . Don’t say you weren’t warned .
This will be a 7 win team max. Another ugly flameout . Russ 2. Green Bay may suffer in the meantime as I don’t know if love is the answer but I’m sure everyone in that building is high fiving getting rid of that Jackass .

That's certainly a possibility. But I do know that once the trade was announced, the Vegas odds for the Jets making the Super Bowl increased exponentially. Not that the bookies know anything more about football than we do, just that there are a lot of people that think that the Jets will be dramatically better.

The Jets season last year was a Jekyll and Hyde. They went into their bye week at 6-3 and in the middle of the hunt for the division title then went 1-8 the rest of the way. As the season progressed, their starting quarterbacks were Flacco for 3 games, Wilson for 7 games, White for 3 games, then Wilson for 2 games, White for a game, and finally Flacco in the finale. It's pretty hard for an offense to establish any kind of continuity when you have 6 changes at quarterback. If nothing else, Rodgers should bring some stability to the team.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat May 06, 2023 10:50 am

Bookies don't need to know football, they need to know football bettors.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat May 06, 2023 11:52 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Bookies don't need to know football, they need to know football bettors.

Absolutely true. Bookies set point spreads/odds according to how many people they think are going to bet on Team X. They don't necessarily know chit about the sport they're handicapping.

My point was that there must be a lot of people that Rodgers is going to make a big difference this season if the odds swung that much.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat May 06, 2023 3:05 pm

What happened to Denver odds a year ago ? There were pundits putting them in the Super Bowl . And Seattle was gonna win 5.5 over under . Green bag almost certainly was top 4 or 5 in the conference rankings . They went 3-8 to start the year and then won 5 to put themselves in the enviable position of needing only a win at home over a Detroit team already eliminated by Seattles win earlier in the day . They lost at home to Detroit .

I get kinda crazy hearing “super bowl winning qb , franchise must have to win qb” yeah when ? When Wilson was playing baseball ?
At one time Aaron was the best in the league , Incredible arm and even more incredible ability to slide around staying clean in the pocket . But he was never a leader . White Cam Newton pouting when it wasn’t going good . Now he’s 40, not in great shape as he reported out of shape last year . He is a complete narcissist who can’t wait to see the reaction to his latest comments on Pat Mcafees show.
I look at it from an egocentric lens. What if it were me ? Moving to a new job with whispers I couldn’t cut it anymore ? I’d work as hard as it took . I did and I did . I worked 65 hours last week at 63 years old but I have the best course in the area . Better than the one that didn’t want me . These whining pro athletes really Jack me up .

He said he was 90% retired . Then he said the pack was holding up the deal when his idiot comments held it up . Now new team skipping at least half of OTAs by his own words .

This is about look at me I’m Aaron Rodgers . Not winning . It won’t go well imo .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat May 06, 2023 4:18 pm

Hawktawk wrote:What happened to Denver odds a year ago ? There were pundits putting them in the Super Bowl . And Seattle was gonna win 5.5 over under . Green bag almost certainly was top 4 or 5 in the conference rankings . They went 3-8 to start the year and then won 5 to put themselves in the enviable position of needing only a win at home over a Detroit team already eliminated by Seattles win earlier in the day . They lost at home to Detroit .

I never said anything about the oddsmakers being accurate predictors of on the field results. I mentioned it only in passing, that since the Rodgers signing, a lot of people have changed their opinion of the Jets chances. Would I put any money on the Jets making the SB? Hell, no! I'd bet on half the other teams in the league making it before I'd bet on the Jets. But for no other reason other than he's Aaron Rodgers, it increases their chances, and that was reflected in the betting lines.

Hawktawk wrote:I get kinda crazy hearing “super bowl winning qb , franchise must have to win qb” yeah when ? When Wilson was playing baseball ?
At one time Aaron was the best in the league , Incredible arm and even more incredible ability to slide around staying clean in the pocket . But he was never a leader . White Cam Newton pouting when it wasn’t going good . Now he’s 40, not in great shape as he reported out of shape last year . He is a complete narcissist who can’t wait to see the reaction to his latest comments on Pat Mcafees show.
I look at it from an egocentric lens. What if it were me ? Moving to a new job with whispers I couldn’t cut it anymore ? I’d work as hard as it took . I did and I did . I worked 65 hours last week at 63 years old but I have the best course in the area . Better than the one that didn’t want me . These whining pro athletes really Jack me up .

He said he was 90% retired . Then he said the pack was holding up the deal when his idiot comments held it up . Now new team skipping at least half of OTAs by his own words .

This is about look at me I’m Aaron Rodgers . Not winning . It won’t go well imo .

I guess that's a roundabout way of saying that Rodgers is unlikely to succeed with the Jets because he's stuck up on himself and doesn't have his heart in it. I would tend to agree, at least that's what it seems like on the surface. There's no doubt that he had a decline in production last year. Was it the start of a trend or was it just an anomaly?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat May 06, 2023 4:42 pm

It’s possible but it’s also possible that he sees this as a chance to succeed where he might not have in GB.
The Jets have a much better Defense and their Offense looks like with the right QB, they could be dangerous.
Even if he’s only half the player he was in his prime, it’s possible that he takes them deep into the playoffs.
I get the impression he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder and that can be a motivation in itself.

I don’t see a Denver type of crash and burn because they have a much more structured environment in place.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat May 06, 2023 5:08 pm

NorthHawk wrote:It’s possible but it’s also possible that he sees this as a chance to succeed where he might not have in GB.
The Jets have a much better Defense and their Offense looks like with the right QB, they could be dangerous.
Even if he’s only half the player he was in his prime, it’s possible that he takes them deep into the playoffs.
I get the impression he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder and that can be a motivation in itself.

I don’t see a Denver type of crash and burn because they have a much more structured environment in place.

The Jets play in a pretty competitive division with two bona fide playoff teams and the third being the Pats and Belichick. They completely imploded at the end of last season, which could carry over into this season. I'm not joining Hawktawk in his gloomy forecast, but I wouldn't be shocked if they did a Denver-like face plant.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat May 06, 2023 11:37 pm

A lot of their success might depend on whether Breece Hall, their RB is healthy at the beginning of the year.
He was looking pretty good and was a big part of their Offense, but their QB situation was tragic even thought White did his best to right the ship.
Rodgers is much more capable of winning without a run game than two inexperianced QBs so that should help, but it's the run game that will make or break their season.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun May 07, 2023 6:16 am

It's going to make for an interesting drama, watching how this all plays out. It won't be as impactful as last year's situation with Denver as we won't have any skin in the outcome of the games, but nevertheless, it's going to be entertaining. Same with the Rodgers-less Packers as they'll have a new starting QB for the first time in 15 years.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon May 08, 2023 5:30 pm

15 years . Wow I’m getting old . I went to a game Rodgers first year . We were starting Charlie fry . 2008 maybe ? Rodgers abused us like a red headed stepchild . I was one that was sceptical of Rodgers and he’s truly been a great player . But his decline began a couple of years ago coming off an mvp year and being so innefective he lost to basically SF special teams . I think he’s lost his last 3 home playoff games . Might be wrong about that but I see he’s the 5 ranked nfc ab in the power rankings . I don’t see it .
He is one that could make me eat my words , mercurial , never know what you’re gonna get . But I feel like I should bet the under I feel so certain .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon May 08, 2023 7:35 pm

It’s quite possible.
Athletes do hit the wall at different ages so who knows when that will or if it has happened to Rodgers.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum