It's been a long time!

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

It's been a long time!

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:04 am

Checking in - I see lots of familiar handles still posting here, which is cool! I haven't posted in 6 years lol.

For those I haven't met, I go WAYYYY back to the Seattle PI Forum days - back in the dark ages when we picked on Tim Ruskell all the time. I even did a Seahawks column for the PI for awhile. I am retired from the Navy, living in beautiful Colorado Springs (and terrorizing Broncos fans every chance I get). I still go to at least one Seahawks home game, and a road game every season (with RiverDog). We even had c_hawkbob join us for the game in Indy a few seasons ago.

I still love to travel - my fiancee and I just got back from London, Glasgow and Amsterdam. It was awesome!

The Seahawks are 7-0 in the last seven road games Mark (RiverDog) and I have attended, including the London game: Giants, Lions, Colts, Steelers, Raiders, and the Cardinals twice.

I am still working to see a game in every NFL stadium. I have Cleveland, Las Vegas, Washington, Chicago, Minnesota, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, SF and LA left. Saving the last two for the end of the quest since we play there every season - much easier.

Going to knock off Chicago this season, and hopefully Atlanta too depending on the schedule.

Anyways, I plan to spend more time here talking Seahawks as the Discord channel I am part of is kind of a crap show now.

Hope you are all well! Lots to be excited about with the franchise these days.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Re: It's been a long time!

Postby Old but Slow » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:15 am

Wow! Irish Greg in the flesh, or at least in type. Welcome home. We have all missed your input and your mind. Are you still in the military?

More importantly, what do think about how the Seahawks are progressing and the moves they have made?

I am excited to have you back.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:26 am

Old but Slow wrote:Wow! Irish Greg in the flesh, or at least in type. Welcome home. We have all missed your input and your mind. Are you still in the military?

More importantly, what do think about how the Seahawks are progressing and the moves they have made?

I am excited to have you back.

OBS! Awesome to see you here.

I retired from the Navy in 2018. They got 30 years from me, that was enough!

I have liked a lot of what the Seahawks have done this off-season. I felt it was time to move on from Pete a few seasons ago, and only sentimental ignorance was keeping him around. We just weren't clicking with him. I love Pete, but it was time. Look at our post-season record since 2015, that's all you need to know. It wasn't all on him, clearly, but he wanted to be the BMFIC and the buck stops there.

LOVE the Macdonald hire. I think Grubb will be much better than that doofus Waldron (he was TERRIBLE). The franchise desperately needed fresh blood on the staff, and innovation. Hurtt was awful, and teams licked their chops when they got to put together game plans for that crap scheme we were trotting out.

It was also time for B Wagz to go. He is a Top 5 all-time Seahawk for me, but boy was he a liability in coverage (just watch how McVay and Shanahan beat our brains in on Middle Of Field routes last season).

Same goes for Adams and Diggs. Adams will never be the same, and while Diggs can still play there is no way we could have that much cap space tied up in two older Safeties.

I am still iffy on Schneider as a GM, so we will see how things fall into place without Daddy Pete here to keep him on the rails.

Now, are all the fans who jumped on the wagon after the LOB era ready for some hard spots? This is a winning franchise, despite lack of success recently in the post-season. A whole new staff and scheme, a brand new HC who has never been a HC before, lots of young players. Are the fans ready for a 7-10 type season??
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:38 am

I am fully ready for an awful season ahead. This is not a time for a championship run, it is time to reorganize and fill the team with players and depth.

The new coaching staff is exciting and see that as a positive, but there is serious work to be done before we can look for another title. Bolstering the defensive line as well as finding an offensive lineman seem critical, but when not looking for an immediate success, it seems most important to find difference makers rather than position fits. Passing on an impact player because of what we have is a step back. We need dawgs!
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:47 am

Yep - we have been kicking the can a bit on a hard reset.

I am still baffled that Schneider refuses to invest in interior OL, and absolute game wreckers on the DL.

However, that is tempered some with Macdonald as he has had incredible results with decent players in his system.

Interested to see Grubb's adjustment to the NFL game. And very interested to see who we draft, although I fully expect a trade down from #16 since we have less capital.

Lots of rumors about trading DK and moving up to snag one of the Top 4 QBs, but I am not sure I buy it. There were rumors we tried to trade him last draft also.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:54 am

Happy to see you back hereabout Greg! Stick around a while this time, 3 Deep is coming up!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:58 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Happy to see you back hereabout Greg! Stick around a while this time, 3 Deep is coming up!

Will do, brother! Hope you are well.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:59 am

Welcome back, IG. It's good to hear from you again and I'm glad to hear you are enjoying life.

Yah, we were in a big time rut with PC and I share your concerns about the IOL with Schneider. I wonder about whether it was Carroll and his philosophies that caused the Seahawks to never really develop the OL, but I read about Schneider saying the other day that he thought Guards were overpaid and over drafted. With our continuous turnstile at Center, it would seem he includes that position as well. If that's truly how he feels and he isn't just saying that because it's 'Lying Season' then we will never reach our potential on Offense. If he does have that view maybe MacDonald and Grubb can change his mind and we can finally get a Center who isn't just a one year plug in.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:33 am

NorthHawk wrote:Welcome back, IG. It's good to hear from you again and I'm glad to hear you are enjoying life.

Yah, we were in a big time rut with PC and I share your concerns about the IOL with Schneider. I wonder about whether it was Carroll and his philosophies that caused the Seahawks to never really develop the OL, but I read about Schneider saying the other day that he thought Guards were overpaid and over drafted. With our continuous turnstile at Center, it would seem he includes that position as well. If that's truly how he feels and he isn't just saying that because it's 'Lying Season' then we will never reach our potential on Offense. If he does have that view maybe MacDonald and Grubb can change his mind and we can finally get a Center who isn't just a one year plug in.

Good to see you here too!

I have lots of hope for Olu at C, but I will never forgive Schneider for taking frigging Dee Eskridge over Creed Humphrey. That was a fireable offense, IMO.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:04 am

That's a good example of the mismanagement of the IOL. But I wonder if it was Pete saying he wanted a player that could become the next Deebo or something along those lines or was it JS not valuing the IOL?
We'll find out in the next 2 years if we continue to ignore that part of the Offense or not. And maybe Olu is the answer but just a case of Pete not wanting to play a rookie as he often avoided doing along the LoS.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:16 am

NorthHawk wrote:That's a good example of the mismanagement of the IOL. But I wonder if it was Pete saying he wanted a player that could become the next Deebo or something along those lines or was it JS not valuing the IOL?
We'll find out in the next 2 years if we continue to ignore that part of the Offense or not. And maybe Olu is the answer but just a case of Pete not wanting to play a rookie as he often avoided doing along the LoS.

Not just the LOS, either. McIntosh was a ghost last season. If you are a rookie and got hurt in camp, it was hard to even get on the field with Pete. Taylor was like that his rookie season, too.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:27 am

Like many players, put in the right situation I think McIntosh could have a big impact on an Offense.
Maybe Grubb sees that too and will use him more.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:01 am

NorthHawk wrote:Like many players, put in the right situation I think McIntosh could have a big impact on an Offense.
Maybe Grubb sees that too and will use him more.

I certainly hope so. The offense was in desperate need of a viable 3rd down back to throw to, and hopefully he can be that guy.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Oly » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:55 pm

Great to see you IG! Glad you found your way back. I always appreciate your analysis.
Oly
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:37 am

Oly wrote:Great to see you IG! Glad you found your way back. I always appreciate your analysis.

Same to you!
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:10 pm

Good to hear from you again, Irish! I used to post more regularly in the PI forum but haven’t quite done so lately. Maybe raising a family etc. had a lot to do with that! I too am thrilled about the direction of the coaching and Macdonald.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:27 am

Stream Hawk wrote:Good to hear from you again, Irish! I used to post more regularly in the PI forum but haven’t quite done so lately. Maybe raising a family etc. had a lot to do with that! I too am thrilled about the direction of the coaching and Macdonald.

Life has a tendency to get away from us all!

Yep, it was time for a change. Pete is a legend, but his message just wasn't connecting anymore.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum