Ok, who are we drafting?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Ok, who are we drafting?

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:23 am

The draft is finally here!

You can either list the pick at #16, or that you think we will trade down. Or, even up! (that would be a wrinkle). If you think trade down, who do you think they will take? Same for trading up.

Everything screams trade down, but I will predict we stay at #16 and select DT Byron Murphy. Unless, something crazy happens and Bowers drifts down to us -- then he is the pick.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Re: Ok, who are we drafting?

Postby River_Dog » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:27 am

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:The draft is finally here!

You can either list the pick at #16, or that you think we will trade down. Or, even up! (that would be a wrinkle). If you think trade down, who do you think they will take? Same for trading up.

Everything screams trade down, but I will predict we stay at #16 and select DT Byron Murphy. Unless, something crazy happens and Bowers drifts down to us -- then he is the pick.

Since I'm fresh off of probation, I just got to work yesterday afternoon on my entry for Cbob's 3-deep draft, so in the unlikely event that someone wants to know who I think we'll draft, they can venture into that thread. But I will say that I hope to hell that we don't draft anymore running backs or wide receivers, at least not in until Day 3, and start investing some capital in the big uglies. I'm also guessing that we'll pull the trigger on a tight end fairly early since we lost two in free agency.

I wouldn't be surprised if we trade down from our #16 overall and try to recoup that 2nd round draft pick we spent on Leonard Williams. That seems to be Schneider's MO.
River_Dog
Legacy

Postby Oly » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:03 pm

I think the goal will be to trade down and pick up a R2 in the process, but I'm a bit pessimistic they can get that. I'm similarly pessimistic that one of the top OL (Alt, Fautanu, Fuaga, and Latham) will be there at #16. If one is miraculously there, I think they stick and pick. But in the likely event that doesn't come to pass, I'm a bit cynical in thinking that we'll end up reaching and overdrafting an OL. Whether that's a guy like Guyton at 16 or Powers-Johnson after a trade down, I'm not sure.

But in the interest of pulling a more specific prediction out of my ass, I'll predict a trade to 23 and picking Barton (OL).
Oly
Legacy

Postby River_Dog » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:25 pm

Oly wrote:I think the goal will be to trade down and pick up a R2 in the process, but I'm a bit pessimistic they can get that. I'm similarly pessimistic that one of the top OL (Alt, Fautanu, Fuaga, and Latham) will be there at #16. If one is miraculously there, I think they stick and pick. But in the likely event that doesn't come to pass, I'm a bit cynical in thinking that we'll end up reaching and overdrafting an OL. Whether that's a guy like Guyton at 16 or Powers-Johnson after a trade down, I'm not sure.

But in the interest of pulling a more specific prediction out of my ass, I'll predict a trade to 23 and picking Barton (OL).

The Vikings are currently sitting on the #23 overall, and they also own the #11 pick, so trading up 7 spots to #16 when they have a pick 5 slots earlier seems unlikely. IMO if we're looking for a dance partner to trade with, it's probably going to occur with one of the three teams that are w/o a first round pick, ie the Texans, Browns, and Panthers.

With the possible exception of the Browns, whose Deshawn Watson trade has been nearly as disastrous for them as the Russell Wilson trade was for the Broncos, those teams are pretty well set at quarterback, the position that is most likely to generate interest in a trade-up scenario. The problem for the Browns is that they don't have a lot of draft capital to work with. Their first two picks are at #54 and #85 overall.

The Lions' first pick is at #29, so maybe they trade their #29 and #61 for our #16? Like us, they could use some help on the interior OL.

That's one of the things I like about draft day, is when trades happen.
River_Dog
Legacy

Postby Oly » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:00 pm

River_Dog wrote:The Vikings are currently sitting on the #23 overall, and they also own the #11 pick, so trading up 7 spots to #16 when they have a pick 5 slots earlier seems unlikely. IMO if we're looking for a dance partner to trade with, it's probably going to occur with one of the three teams that are w/o a first round pick, ie the Texans, Browns, and Panthers.

With the possible exception of the Browns, whose Deshawn Watson trade has been nearly as disastrous for them as the Russell Wilson trade was for the Broncos, those teams are pretty well set at quarterback, the position that is most likely to generate interest in a trade-up scenario. The problem for the Browns is that they don't have a lot of draft capital to work with. Their first two picks are at #54 and #85 overall.

The Lions' first pick is at #29, so maybe they trade their #29 and #61 for our #16? Like us, they could use some help on the interior OL.

That's one of the things I like about draft day, is when trades happen.

Crap, I was thinking a trade with Dallas and misremembered their position. So I'd amend my post to trading down to #24 (and picking up Dallas' R3 and R5 picks). Jerry can be aggressive on draft day, and while I wouldn't do that trade if I were Dallas (they come out ahead on points but they don't have a R4 pick so they'd have a very thin draft class) I could see them moving up. But if not Dallas, another team in that range. I admit I haven't thought that much about who would move up to #16, but that feels like the kind of range we could expect.
Oly
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:09 pm

Might as well stay consistent: JC Latham, OL, Alabama.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby River_Dog » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:56 pm

The Broncos, one of those QB-needy teams that are picking a few slots ahead of us at #12, just made another Wilson quarterback trade...Zach Wilson of the Jets.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... r-AA1nt6PK

Does that mean that the Broncos aren't taking a QB in the first round? Could that mean that Penix or Nix might be available at #16?
River_Dog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:10 pm

I'd probably be happy with Byron Murphy. A good DT we can use. I want to see this defense finally turnaround. It's been pathetic for so long that we would have to have a ridiculous offense to contend with this defense.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:30 pm

As much as I loved Penix in college, we better not take him in the first. This team needs some talent in the trenches. Mike’s defenses rely on big stud defensive lineman. Let’s go defense, except maybe I’m OK with some OL. I don’t like the idea of trading down unless it’s only a few spots back in the first. We really need blue chips.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby River_Dog » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:38 pm

Stream Hawk wrote:As much as I loved Penix in college, we better not take him in the first. This team needs some talent in the trenches. Mike’s defenses rely on big stud defensive lineman. Let’s go defense, except maybe I’m OK with some OL. I don’t like the idea of trading down unless it’s only a few spots back in the first. We really need blue chips.

I doubt that Penix is on our short list for QB's, but I'm going to defer to John Schneider when it comes to quarterbacks. If he wants Penix, then I'm good with it.

Our priorities have to be the offensive line and/or defense. I'm sick and tired of seeing us burning draft picks on RB's and WR's as if it were fantasy football then be forced to watch teams throw us around like rag dolls.
River_Dog
Legacy

Postby govandals » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:37 am

I'll save my pick for bob's 3 deep mock.

I just want a difference maker at 16. I don't care who it is, Murphy, Verse, Fuaga, doesn't matter. Schneider has patched the holes in the roster so they can take the best available at 16. I don't want a situation where the "stick and pick" guys are gone and they reach for a player or take an unfavorable trade down.

A couple random things:
Reports about Troy Fautanu medical red flag for his knee. I had not heard about this until the other day. I would love him at 16 but IDK now. How serious is it? Will he fall because of it? With Abe Lucas knee situation will the Seahawks dare go there?

Byron Murphy stating he does not want to go to a cold weather city, he specifically named Indianapolis. Now I don't consider Seattle a cold weather city, but maybe he does.

My favorite player in the draft is Quinyon Mitchel. He is just a stud, love his style of play.
govandals
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:41 am

I think the most probable trade down partner would have 2 2nd round selections.
So if there is a good OT left or one the Packers really like, they might be one to trade down even though Gutekunst just said he likes to have more picks.
They lost Baktiari (sp) last year and although they have a starter, a dominating OT would help both their run game and pass protection. A player like Fautanu who could also play Guard would help a lot
as he could be a starter on the first day at either position as GB also lost one of their starting Guards, too.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:58 pm

Who I would like for us to draft vs who we will actually draft.. hmm

My Hope: If for some freak reason Brock Bowers has not been selected by the 10th pick I say trade up and get him. This is whom I would like the Hawk's to get.

The Reality However, the reality is most likely trading down to garner more draft capital later in the draft and build up the roster with young talent and develop them.

The Pick If the Hawks have to make a pick at 16th, I would go with Troy Fautanu. He would have instant connection with Grubb and can play guard as well as tackle.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby River_Dog » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:41 am

4XPIPS wrote:Who I would like for us to draft vs who we will actually draft.. hmm

My Hope: If for some freak reason Brock Bowers has not been selected by the 10th pick I say trade up and get him. This is whom I would like the Hawk's to get.

The Reality However, the reality is most likely trading down to garner more draft capital later in the draft and build up the roster with young talent and develop them.

The Pick If the Hawks have to make a pick at 16th, I would go with Troy Fautanu. He would have instant connection with Grubb and can play guard as well as tackle.

Yeah, I have Fautanu at the top of my list as most likely picks at #16, but he might not be there. IMO the most likely scenario is that we trade down.
River_Dog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:34 am

I think it will be either Talese Fuaga, OT or Byron Murphy, DT. But both might be gone at 16.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:14 am

4XPIPS wrote:Who I would like for us to draft vs who we will actually draft.. hmm

See, I also think we should trade up for Bowers. Everyone is talking about us trading down, but nobody is saying what if the Seahawks trade UP??

Probably why I am not a GM haha.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:26 am

The problem with trading up is giving up more draft capital to do so. We already don't have a 2nd rounder this year and it might take another next year plus a pick or two in this years draft like a 3rd or 4th - and that's just to move up a few spaces.
I'm not sure doing that at the beginning of a rebuild is that good of an idea when we could probably get a real good player at 16 and a couple of good players with granted lower floors, but very high ceilings if we traded down.
But it depends on which players are there and who falls as one of them probably will.

For me, this draft has more intrigue than most others even if we were drafting 32nd. It's going to be an interesting evening.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby River_Dog » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:05 pm

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:See, I also think we should trade up for Bowers. Everyone is talking about us trading down, but nobody is saying what if the Seahawks trade UP??

Probably why I am not a GM haha.

NorthHawk wrote:The problem with trading up is giving up more draft capital to do so. We already don't have a 2nd rounder this year and it might take another next year plus a pick or two in this years draft like a 3rd or 4th - and that's just to move up a few spaces.
I'm not sure doing that at the beginning of a rebuild is that good of an idea when we could probably get a real good player at 16 and a couple of good players with granted lower floors, but very high ceilings if we traded down.
But it depends on which players are there and who falls as one of them probably will.

For me, this draft has more intrigue than most others even if we were drafting 32nd. It's going to be an interesting evening.

I'm with North Hawk on this one. Like he said, we don't have the draft capital unless we want to trade away future picks. Secondly, Schneider has traded down far more often than he's traded up, the only player I can think of that we traded up for in the first or second round was Metcalf. And lastly, it seems to me that teams haven't been successful when they've traded up. No matter what, it's still a crap shoot, and there's no sense making it any riskier than it already is.

That's going to be one of the interesting things about this draft. I'm assuming that Schneider doesn't like to trade up, but was it always his decision or was it Pete that was hesitant to do so?
River_Dog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:01 pm

River_Dog wrote:
I'm with North Hawk on this one. Like he said, we don't have the draft capital unless we want to trade away future picks. Secondly, Schneider has traded down far more often than he's traded up, the only player I can think of that we traded up for in the first or second round was Metcalf. And lastly, it seems to me that teams haven't been successful when they've traded up. No matter what, it's still a crap shoot, and there's no sense making it any riskier than it already is.

That's going to be one of the interesting things about this draft. I'm assuming that Schneider doesn't like to trade up, but was it always his decision or was it Pete that was hesitant to do so?

If we are talking about draft capital it wouldn't make a difference if you trade up in a draft or throw away 1st round picks on a player trade. How many picks did we waste on Jamal Adams? I mean everything is a gamble, and yes our current draft capital is important, but for someone like Brock Bowers who I believe will be the next George Kittle/Travis Kelce in this league would be worth mortgaging the future for. If Brock turns out to be a generational talent at TE in the next 3 to 4 years, we would look back and say wish we had given up more picks to get him. However, it's just a gamble and I think in today's offense a dynamic TE can really help your offense grow in a rebuild.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby River_Dog » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:42 pm

River_Dog wrote:

4XPIPS wrote:If we are talking about draft capital it wouldn't make a difference if you trade up in a draft or throw away 1st round picks on a player trade. How many picks did we waste on Jamal Adams? I mean everything is a gamble, and yes our current draft capital is important, but for someone like Brock Bowers who I believe will be the next George Kittle/Travis Kelce in this league would be worth mortgaging the future for. If Brock turns out to be a generational talent at TE in the next 3 to 4 years, we would look back and say wish we had given up more picks to get him. However, it's just a gamble and I think in today's offense a dynamic TE can really help your offense grow in a rebuild.

Let's not talk about Jamal Adams. I'm just now getting over the nightmares.

If we consider a natural draft pick a 10 as far as risk goes, trading a 5th round pick to move up two spots makes it an 11, a 4th round pick would make it a 12, and so on. Trading up places an additional premium on the selection. In other words, you'd better be damn sure that this guy is going to produce. The other thing here is that if you're going to trade up and add that additional premium to your selection, it has to be for a high value position. I'm not sure if a tight end fits that bill.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there have been more bad trade ups than good ones. The Chiefs traded up to get Mahomes, the Ravens traded up for Lamar Jackson, and the Bills to get Josh Allen. Those are the good ones. But the Niners sold the farm to trade up for Trey Lance, Jets traded up to get Sam Darnald, the Cards traded up to get Josh Rosen, the Bears traded up to get Mitch Turdisky, and so on, and so on. Those are all quarterbacks, and the subject is a tight end, but you get the point.

I always cringe at these high-profile trades because we've never seemed to be the winner in them. It's kinda like Pavlov's dog, a conditioned response.
River_Dog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:15 pm

Julio Jones was a trade up scenario for big draft capital. Made a bit more sense for the Falcons as they already had solid team with an established franchise QB. The Falcons were in the playoffs 4 times with Julio on the roster; 2011,2012,2016,2017. Bounced out of the WC round by the Giants in 2011. They narrowly lost to the 49ers in NFCCG in 2012 and then lost the super bowl in 2016. Made it to the divisional round in 2017 and lost to the Eagles.

He was a top flight talent at WR and was a part of two of three best shots at a Super Bowl for the Falcons. Was that worth the price they paid? Hard to say, but I think a team needs to be better established before making move like this. The Falcons were; the 2024 Seahawks are not, in my opinion. I'd feel better about a trade up if the team had trended up from 2022 to 2023. Instead it was regression.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:38 am

Murphy it is!
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:18 am

Nice call!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby River_Dog » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:53 am

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:The draft is finally here!

Yeah, the GOAT of Seahawk posters strikes again. Great call, IG!
River_Dog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum