Jamal Adams A Seahawk Again?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Jamal Adams A Seahawk Again?

Postby River_Dog » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:15 am

Please, say it ain't so!

Seattle Seahawks 'Have Kept In Touch' With Jamal Adams

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/se ... interested

When we released him last month, I thought that we had finally purged ourselves of this POS. I can see no upside to bringing him back, even on a vet minimum deal.

Adams is a liability in coverage, and his pass rushing contributions come at the expense of leaving the secondary a man short. We overused him in 2020 because our front 7 was so inept at applying pressure on the quarterback that Adams was able to thrive in the void. In 2021, when Adams was still relatively healthy, his sack totals dropped from a record setting 9.5 to zero. Offenses had gotten wise and started to account for him anytime he threatened to blitz, and as a consequence, our defense was ranked 28th against the pass

He's too small to be lined up at OLB where he'd be going up against players that are 2-4" taller and 50-80 lbs heavier. They'd run straight at him, and Adams would look as if he's wearing roller skates. Besides, after his injuries, he was playing tepid, avoided contact like any normal human being would if they'd been hurt as much as he has.

Plus, he doesn't play on special teams. There are only 53 spots on a roster, and the best he'd be able to contribute would be some sort of third down nickel or dime back package where he could rush the QB. He'd be occupying a spot at the expense of some up-and-coming unproven rookie.

And that's not to mention that the guy is a first-class jerk. I see no upside whatsoever in bringing him back.
River_Dog
Legacy

Re: Jamal Adams A Seahawk Again?

Postby curmudgeon » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:45 pm

No. NO. And Oh yeah, NO………
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:51 pm

I guess a veteran minimum contract to try to revive his career would be ok. Not like we're deep at safety right now. It will be a few drafts to rebuild given how empty the cupboards were in Seattle due to five years of pretty poor drafting prior to the last two.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby River_Dog » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:05 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:I guess a veteran minimum contract to try to revive his career would be ok. Not like we're deep at safety right now. It will be a few drafts to rebuild given how empty the cupboards were in Seattle due to five years of pretty poor drafting prior to the last two.

He's not worth the roster spot. No matter what, he's not part of our long-term future, so why deprive an up-and-coming rookie of an opportunity for an injury prone, one trick pony/situational player who doesn't participate on special teams and has an attitude?
River_Dog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:43 pm

River_Dog wrote:He's not worth the roster spot. No matter what, he's not part of our long-term future, so why deprive an up-and-coming rookie of an opportunity for an injury prone, one trick pony/situational player who doesn't participate on special teams and has an attitude?

If he wants to compete for a job on a veteran minimum contract, what do I care? If the rookie beats him out, he loses his spot. Not like it sounds like we're signing him to some guaranteed long-term contract as a starter. If he wants a vet minimum contract to compete, then I don't have a problem with it.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:03 pm

There is a reason why no teams have signed him yet to a minimum contract. Injury prone and his lack of off field discipline is something a team doesn't want in their local headlines. I would say let him go to the 49ers, and they can squeeze what is ever left out of him. I would rather not see him as a Hawk going forward.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:30 pm

We don’t have much Cap space-somewhere around $1.5 Million so another player would have to be cut.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby River_Dog » Wed May 01, 2024 4:54 am

River_Dog wrote:He's not worth the roster spot. No matter what, he's not part of our long-term future, so why deprive an up-and-coming rookie of an opportunity for an injury prone, one trick pony/situational player who doesn't participate on special teams and has an attitude?

Aseahawkfan wrote:If he wants to compete for a job on a veteran minimum contract, what do I care? If the rookie beats him out, he loses his spot. Not like it sounds like we're signing him to some guaranteed long-term contract as a starter. If he wants a vet minimum contract to compete, then I don't have a problem with it.

As North Hawk said, we don't have that much cap space even for a veteran minimum contract. We're ranked 31st in the league in cap space at $2.2m. We sign Adams and it deprives a rookie of a chance.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/_/year/ ... mum_space2

What is already known about Adams takes him out of the mix: He's injury prone. He can't cover. He's not a ball hawk. He's apprehensive in his tackling. He doesn't play on special teams. He has an attitude. The minute Adams sets foot on the field, someone has to step off to make room for him.

I'm hearing rumors that the Adams deal was more Schneider's doing than it was Pete's, which if true, would go a long ways in explaining why Pete would say over a year after the trade that they really hadn't figured out how to use him. Why would one of the best defensive minds of this era trade for/resign a player and not know how best to use him? Maybe because his GM insisted?

My take is that Pete had veto authority and could have stepped in and said no to both the trade and the resigning, and it's a mistake that he alone has to bear. But if John Schneider signs him and trots him out on the field, it will confirm those rumors and I'll lose a ton of respect for Schneider.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
River_Dog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed May 01, 2024 6:28 am

This Defense has a chance to be much improved and I don't see where he would fit in.
The interior of the DL should be able to provide a lot more pressure which would make the Edge rushers more effective, so any pass rush skills Adams brought to the table wouldn't necessarily be an improvement as like you said another player would have to be cut to make room. It doesn't mean they would cut a pass rusher, but somewhere on the roster would be diminished.
Besides it would be nice to see him disrupt the 49ers locker room.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Thu May 02, 2024 9:52 pm

I am rapidly becoming doubtful about Schneider. He seems to trend to mediocrity, and I think the job is maybe a step beyond his abilities. He presents well, is likable, and is able to adapt to changes, but does not seem to understand the basic needs. Besides never taking a shot a later round QB, or trading for Adams, or putting a decent O-line together, he does not seem able to make the kinds of moves that make the team better.

But, we all love him. Don't we?
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby River_Dog » Fri May 03, 2024 4:22 am

Old but Slow wrote:I am rapidly becoming doubtful about Schneider. He seems to trend to mediocrity, and I think the job is maybe a step beyond his abilities. He presents well, is likable, and is able to adapt to changes, but does not seem to understand the basic needs. Besides never taking a shot a later round QB, or trading for Adams, or putting a decent O-line together, he does not seem able to make the kinds of moves that make the team better.

But, we all love him. Don't we?

Not me. I support John Schneider only because I don't really know how much of the past 14 seasons was truly Pete's and how much of the perpetual mediocrity can be blamed on JS.

I don't think it would have been wise to enter the new era with a rookie GM. Schneider knows the ropes, and his initial results seems to be satisfactory, the way he's put this new staff together and the way our draft went. I would go ahead and start Geno, but unless we come out looking like gangbusters, I'd give Howell a shot at some point in the season.
River_Dog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri May 03, 2024 9:38 am

I was under the impression that it was Carroll's 'Hand of God' in the mix that made some of the worst trades in team history, but just maybe it was Schneider.
In any event we will have a couple of years to see how things develop and any continuing trends or traits regarding player acquisitions/departures.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Mon May 06, 2024 5:47 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:I guess a veteran minimum contract to try to revive his career would be ok. Not like we're deep at safety right now. It will be a few drafts to rebuild given how empty the cupboards were in Seattle due to five years of pretty poor drafting prior to the last two.

I mean, we have six safeties on the 90 right now. Whether the depth is quality of just in numbers remains to be seen.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon May 06, 2024 7:04 am

It's being talked about that if Adams is re-signed he would play LB and not Safety.
It would make some sense but he would just get beat up quicker when teams run right at him. I don't think he's worth the roster spot and possibly losing a younger player for 8 or 9 games of Adams playing average football.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Oly » Mon May 06, 2024 7:25 am

NorthHawk wrote:It's being talked about that if Adams is re-signed he would play LB and not Safety.
It would make some sense but he would just get beat up quicker when teams run right at him. I don't think he's worth the roster spot and possibly losing a younger player for 8 or 9 games of Adams playing average football.

Spot on
Oly
Legacy

Postby River_Dog » Mon May 06, 2024 7:52 am

NorthHawk wrote:It's being talked about that if Adams is re-signed he would play LB and not Safety.

Oly wrote:Spot on

Times 3 (at least, I suspect).

Adams is 6'1", 213 lbs. The average weight of an NFL linebacker is 245 lbs, which likely comes down a few pounds when you're talking about OLB, but even still, that puts Adams at least 30 lbs lighter than the average at that position. Going up against tackles and tight ends, he'd look as if he were playing in roller skates.
River_Dog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum