Thursday FB

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Thursday FB

Postby Uppercut » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:32 pm

Wow I agree to get rid of it but the comments after the article are brutal! LOL
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2016/11/28/should-the-nfl-consider-ditching-thursday-night-football/
Uppercut
Legacy

Re: Thursday FB

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:50 pm

Call me selfish I love NFL ball any day.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:43 am

You have a point as certainly I will watch it! But I think it leads to more injuries diminishing the effectiveness on any give Sunday!
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:08 am

Like everyone else, I'll watch it because football.

But yeah, I can see why they'd get rid of it- two games in 4 days is kinda ridiculous, and screws up the competitive balance, increases risks of injury, etc.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Jjones84 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:49 am

I really only watch one NFL game a week. The Seahawks. I find it insufferable watching bad football when I do not have an emotional connection. Give me college ball any day. I would like to see the Seahawks never have to play on a short week, so would not mind to see tnf gone. I think most players and coaches would rather not play on thursday as well. That is ultimately what it should come down to, do the players want to play. Take it from someone with an extensive injury history, they suck ass. Granted, I don't have millions of dollars to ease the pain, but that shouldn't matter.

Not pointing fingers at anybody, just in general. I think people sometimes think because these guys make millions and we don't, that they are somehow accountable to us, because we pay their salaries essentially. But that is bs. 90 percent of these guys are good dudes, philanthropists, and have families waiting at home. If removing a game a week can even slightly protect them so they have a better future, do it.
Jjones84
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:39 am

TNF, IMO, has become hard to watch. I know it's football, so we will all mostly watch it.

I personally don't like it, mainly for fantasy reasons. Hard to dress a player coming off a 4 day rest.

And also, I find the games are pretty sloppy at times. Less prep time, less recovery time. I find it hard to believe they still do it. There was a season recently where something like 90% of the TNF games ended in double digit victories.

I for one would be glad to see it go.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:22 am

Get rid of it.
Lousy games aside, I thing Sherman is right and it's a negative when considering the health of the players.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:04 pm

You boys nervous about your Thursday Night Smackdown coming up soon?
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:23 pm

Rambo2014 wrote:You boys nervous about your Thursday Night Smackdown coming up soon?

Nope, and nope.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/boxscore?id=7849
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:37 pm

I used to LOVE TNF. The more football the better. But with the 5:30 start time (I know, it's only fair to the east coasters)....I can NEVER get home by half time, let alone start time. And the more I have heard from players concerned about safety, I'm all for reverting back to Sunday and ONE game Monday night. The health of the players is the most important factor, to me. Also - as some above have noted, the games are usually lame for all of the stated reasons. We all have so much to do in life that giving up three of 7 evenings a week is a tough sell... for me anyway.

And JJones 84... Great points:
Not pointing fingers at anybody, just in general. I think people sometimes think because these guys make millions and we don't, that they are somehow accountable to us, because we pay their salaries essentially. But that is bs. 90 percent of these guys are good dudes, philanthropists, and have families waiting at home. If removing a game a week can even slightly protect them so they have a better future, do it.

There is this feeling that players should play 18 games + preseason and playoffs (if lucky/good enough). We have heard from the players themselves that as it is, it is a grind. Players are bigger, faster, with better protective equipment that also serves as projectile/missle like devices (helmets). These are very gifted athletes who work very hard to entertain us for 3 years if they are lucky. The player's skill-sets/talents make owners and execs extremely wealthy people and I think it is time that these same owners and execs work to not put their star assets in any more harms way than the game itself.

I know keeping relevant means change. Change to meet the times; change to meet growing demands. But games in Mexico and Europe put an even greater tax on players than TNF. Imagine having to fly to Mexico City and England in a season and one of those is a "home" game. I'm not opposed to change in general, but the direction the league seems to be headed is to hit a $$$ figure by a certain year and be damned the consequences.
Last edited by Hawk Sista on Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:57 pm

I love TNF. I hate the goofy color rush uni's.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:01 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I love TNF. I hate the goofy color rush uni's.

Thursday Night needs to go guys. Pain killer line is Monday, Jacuzzi's are Tuesdays Wednesday you are starting to recover and you have to play a game? Really. Its usually not a very good game anyway.
obiken
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:36 pm

It doesn't "need to go" at all, that's just the flavor of the week social media complaint.

There is nothing on any weeknight other than Monday and Thursday that is "must see TV" for millions of NFL fans, myself included. Even with the down numbers this year it still wins it's time slot consistently and anything they replace it with is guaranteed not to perform as well.

Tweak it, don't get rid of it. Better games would help, so instead of forcing teams to play on a 4 day week, trim it back to only games that can be arranged between teams coming off a bye, even if that means only 8 TNF game s a year, it's a better option than just dumping it.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:22 pm

I haven't been a proponent of TNF since its inception. The play on the field is clearly affected, and they are traditionally garbage games anyway. When they did do this for only half a season (2nd half), it seemed to work a lil better. At a minimum, don't start TNF games until week 9. I think something will change about it, because it's consistently generating some noise that isn't complimentary.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:44 am

c_hawkbob wrote:It doesn't "need to go" at all, that's just the flavor of the week social media complaint.

There is nothing on any weeknight other than Monday and Thursday that is "must see TV" for millions of NFL fans, myself included. Even with the down numbers this year it still wins it's time slot consistently and anything they replace it with is guaranteed not to perform as well.

Tweak it, don't get rid of it. Better games would help, so instead of forcing teams to play on a 4 day week, trim it back to only games that can be arranged between teams coming off a bye, even if that means only 8 TNF game s a year, it's a better option than just dumping it.

Why Cbob is TNFB so darned important?? Dump it! It sucks, its bad for the players, the league, and fans, its just time to admit the experiment went off the rails.
obiken
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:29 am

obiken wrote:Why Cbob is TNFB so darned important??

Because it's football, on a night with crap else going on.

Why is all the sudden so important to get rid of it?

Overexposure? Bullcrap, NBA games are on every night of the week, it's not overexposed, people just choose to watch or not and they're OK with a lesser share because it still performs well enough to turn a profit.

If you don't want TNF just don't watch on Thursdays, problem solved.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:39 am

c_hawkbob wrote:It doesn't "need to go" at all, that's just the flavor of the week social media complaint.

This I could go for. It certainly needs tweaking, and the biggest issue is the 4 days rest. If they could make it work so anyone playing on Thursday was coming off 9 or 10 days rest, it would help the cause.

I did like it much better when it started mid season rather than right at the beginning of the year. Also, they should stop putting so much emphasis on making it division games, I get they are thinking these "rivalries" will be good games, but they are often not.

Tweak it, don't get rid of it.........yes, hey, who doesn't like watching NFL football, I wish there were more nights with games. I shouldn't have said I will be glad to see it go, rather, fix it and carry on.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:20 am

I started out thinking that it was a good idea. I love football, especially NFL football, even if the contest is between two dead from the neck up teams like the Browns and Jags.

But the color rush was high schoolish. It was an obvious gimmick to attract viewers and increase merchandise sales. I don't need to go back to the days of the jerseys without names or the helmets without emblems (ala the Browns), but that color rush crapola looks simply out of place for a professional football team.

The players and coaches hate the short week, and it makes scheduling that much more complicated and unfair. I can't remember which team it was, but they recently made a long trip to the west coast then had to play a TNF game in 4 days. Toss the TNF game in with the International Series and calls for an 18 game season and I can see why the players and coaches are feeling exploited.

Like Sis, I don't get much of a chance to watch it, at least this season, do to work commitments. But for those of us that need a football fix 4 or 5 days a week, there's plenty of college teams that will step in to fill that void should the NFL decide to chit can TNF.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:37 am

Only teams on Thursday coming off a bye would help on the performance front, I suspect and it would also help in healing as they would have 2 extended weeks between games.
You might end up in a scenario where teams are complaining that they aren't getting games on Thursdays, as it in some cases be seen as an advantage for those who are competing for a playoff spot or maybe HFA.
At the end of the year, it's a fight against attrition as much as talent for those that survive to the Super Bowl and a Thursday game that a team lucked into at the right time.

A player recently said that Sunday night, Monday, and Thursday games should be for those teams that earned the right to be in the spotlight. Maybe that's a way of doing it if it comes to limited Thursday night games - prior year records.
We'll see how the NFL addresses it.

I wouldn't be upset if it was eliminated, though.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:55 am

Tweak it, don't get rid of it. Better games would help, so instead of forcing teams to play on a 4 day week, trim it back to only games that can be arranged between teams coming off a bye, even if that means only 8 TNF game s a year, it's a better option than just dumping it. - BOB

Now that, I could support. Fewer games after a bye week to protect the players and increase the level of competition. Good solution. Call Roger.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:42 pm

After further thought I would like to see all games played on Sunday, and the by week after the 8th game for all teams. The game played on the bye week would be an oldtimers game.
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:17 pm

May I play devils advocate? Yes I know its a violent game. But it isn't on patrol in Afghanistan. It isn't being a cop in south chicago. I daresay it cant be much harder than being a 57 year old blue collar worker who gets his ass kicked 40+ a week.
I think its reasonable for the league to look at ways to balance the schedule of teams playing on thursday but come on dudes you're making multi millions. Buck up
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:03 am

Hawk Sista wrote:"Tweak it, don't get rid of it. Better games would help, so instead of forcing teams to play on a 4 day week, trim it back to only games that can be arranged between teams coming off a bye, even if that means only 8 TNF game s a year, it's a better option than just dumping it. - BOB"

Now that, I could support. Fewer games after a bye week to protect the players and increase the level of competition. Good solution. Call Roger.

Not going to work. The NFL already has 3 games in their international series and are promising more. Those games are followed with a bye for each participating team in order to account for their long plane flights.

Also, bye weeks don't start until Week 4 and end in Week 13.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:20 am

RiverDog wrote:Not going to work. The NFL already has 3 games in their international series and are promising more. Those games are followed with a bye for each participating team in order to account for their long plane flights.

One does not effect the other. what they do the week before their bye week is not part of the proposal

RiverDog wrote:Also, bye weeks don't start until Week 4 and end in Week 13.

Thus the allowance that there be as few as 8 TNF games a week.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:22 pm

I do not see how they would be able to create a fair schedule by introducing another factor (bye weeks before TNF) into its development.

I'm pretty non committal about TNF. Except for the season opener, which I think is fantastic, and Thanksgiving Day, of which Cowboys and Lions are as much a part of the holiday as sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie, it's a non starter with me. I'm certainly not going to tune in just to see the hideous uniforms.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:26 pm

So this offseason Sherm and the players Union is gonna be fighting for a bye week before TNF ... who'd a thunk.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum