FANT - ACL :-(

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

FANT - ACL :-(

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:54 pm

Damn. Listening to Pete. He's out for the season. Damn!!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Re: FANT - ACL :-(

Postby Zorn76 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:57 pm

*Sigh*
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:58 pm

Figured as much about 3 hours back. Sucks for him, especially since he worked so hard to become an LT. I think Reese did fine or even great. Time to move on and use this LT from Boise State who already had potential
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:06 pm

Stream Hawk wrote:Figured as much about 3 hours back. Sucks for him, especially since he worked so hard to become an LT. I think Reese did fine or even great. Time to move on and use this LT from Boise State who already had potential

Reece didn't look very good IMO. The ONLY good thing about this injury is that the Hawks still have 3 weeks before the season to figure out what they are going to do at LT. I hope Reese his the guy and he plays great but he hasn't inspired a ton of confidence in me
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:01 am

I feel badly for Fant, but the backup may end up being just as effective anyway. The OL bar hasn't been raised much going on several years now.

The bigger picture for me is Coaching. I'm done w Cable and his experiments. Start drafting guys who actually played legit OL in college, like the Pocic kid. Our offense is already challenged enough with its scheme and game plan lacking imagination overall, so we'll see how the rag tag line handles it up front.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:13 am

Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:26 am

Crap, this team can't catch a break on O-Line.

Starter at the most important position gone for the year. UGh.

Odhiambo???? I dunno about that, they are going to need to find someone in a hurry.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:58 am

It's terrible for the team but I really feel for Fant. What he was succeeding at doing is a pretty damn impressive feat. I like the guy and I'm rooting for him as much for him as for us.

And can we please be clear that this doesn't all the sudden make him "fragile" or "accident prone" or mean that he's got "glass knees". There's not a player in the NFL who's knee is going to hold up to a 300 lb man jumping sideways into it like that.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:21 am

Trade Lacy for a replacement of Fant

What I see of lacy he is slow off the mark and stays slow

Trade him before it shows in real games
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:52 am

Ugh. More bad news this preseason. It seems like every week has it's killer.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:18 am

He was really starting to look better at LT, so it's too bad.
He has Joeckel and Graham to help him get over some of the bad days as they have both been through major surgeries recently.
As well, he has a full 8 months before OTA's and almost 12 months until next years TC to recover.
I hope he works as hard in rehab as he has obviously done this past off season to get ready for next year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:59 pm

I dunno...this also seems like the Perfect opportunity to force our game plan to maybe include...a short passing game that worked really well when we remembered to do it. Build the OL's confidence by allowing them to see some results, instead of relying on them to hold a pocket for a lil over 2 seconds.

I'm really rooting for these guys to come together, but this is so damn frustrating to see an issue be in such a flux for several years now. I think Cable passed the point of being long on ambition, but short on results.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:07 pm

This is how promising seasons unravel.

I keep telling myself this wasn't Big Walt we lost for the season, so how big a step down can it be going to Ifedi (or whoever is next up)?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:53 pm

burrrton wrote:This is how promising seasons unravel.

I keep telling myself this wasn't Big Walt we lost for the season, so how big a step down can it be going to Ifedi (or whoever is next up)?

I hope they don't move Ifedi to the left side. That would only make things worse IMO. My guess is that Joeckel will step into the LT slot.

And yea, this season is shaping up really badly in more ways than one, with McDowell not playing, Ifedi and Clark getting into it, Bennett's protest, and now losing our starting LT for the season.

But we'll see. I can remember thinking the same thing during Harvin's time, but we ended up going to two straight SB's without that ass clown.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:11 pm

Make no mistake, Big George was a work in progress and the o-line was tenuous at best. Now, Seattle is flat out f8cked.....
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:21 pm

I hope they don't move Ifedi to the left side.

Oh- I'm probably thinking of Odhiambo. Or someone else. Or maybe not.

Outside of Britt, I've lost track of who plays where with this unit if that isn't obvious.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:28 pm

No need to worry! Cable working the phones this weekend looking for more B-ball players or maybe hockey players
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:28 pm

burrrton wrote:Oh- I'm probably thinking of Odhiambo. Or someone else. Or maybe not.

Outside of Britt, I've lost track of who plays where with this unit if that isn't obvious.

You are thinking of Odhiambo and he is bad, like worse than a player who had only played 12 snaps of college football and that was at TE bad. Seriously he couldn't beat out Fant last year and now he is supposed to be the next guy up, I don't think so. I'm with River, I think (and hope) they move Joekle to LT and let Odhiambo, Glowinski, and maybe Amboushi (sic) battle it out at LG while hopefully adding another Guard to compete there. Other than that Ifedi has looked really bad at RT. Pocic really could be a guy to watch in either of those 2 spots. I do worry that Cable likes Joekle so much at guard (he said he was the best LG in football last year before he got hurt) that they keep him there and try to force fit somebody like Reece at LT.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:52 pm

I think the Seahawks are going to have Jokel at LT and get a great player when everyone cuts to 53.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:04 am

You are thinking of Sowell, but I do understand. He was that forgettable.

My first assumption, too, is that they move Joeckel to LT, but I can also get with the sentiment that if the middle three are playing very well, I'd rather keep him at LG. There's a lot to be said for an interior line that can generate push in the run game and keep the pocket from collapsing on passing plays. The run game is even more important now as it being effective takes a lot of pressure off the tackles.

FA is really not an option; any body left on the couch at this point can't be that much better than what is on the roster now. Here's a fool's hope that one of the guys currently on the team can shape up to a serviceable LT.

And I want to send a gift basket to Fant. Too good a guy who worked is arse off to get ready and own that LT spot. Fingers crossed he comes back strong next season.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:32 am

If they can decide on an RG, I say leave Joeckel at LG and have a good middle of the line at least for push in the run game. I re-watched the game specifically to focus on the line and who was in there and quite Obviously Cable wanted to see what Rees is made of.

What I saw was terrible footwork and technique. Could he improve????/, We have 3 weeks to figure that out then the first game in GB.

Suckage.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:46 am

It's sad for Fant to have that type of injury, but to be a little cold about it, he wasn't a solid starter for the last 3 years, rather he was the equivalent
of a high draft pick at this point in his career. I hope he fully recovers and is ready for next year's OTA's and TC.
There is some talk about Roos and how they like what they see of him. If he enters the picture, I don't know how it might shuffle the deck.
Regarding Odhiambo, I don't think he was mentally prepared to play LT. From what I've read, most of his work has been at Guard this year
with Joeckel playing both positions.
They do have some extra linemen at this point in the pre-season, so we'll see what happens.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:18 am

NorthHawk wrote:It's sad for Fant to have that type of injury, but to be a little cold about it, he wasn't a solid starter for the last 3 years, rather he was the equivalent
of a high draft pick at this point in his career. I hope he fully recovers and is ready for next year's OTA's and TC.
There is some talk about Roos and how they like what they see of him. If he enters the picture, I don't know how it might shuffle the deck.
Regarding Odhiambo, I don't think he was mentally prepared to play LT. From what I've read, most of his work has been at Guard this year
with Joeckel playing both positions.
They do have some extra linemen at this point in the pre-season, so we'll see what happens.

No, he wasn't, he was a rookie last year.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:28 am

Equivalent, meaning he had no clue last year and this year his development was such that he would be at about the same level of a player who had played 3 years of college at LT.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:11 am

Ah, I see now.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:10 pm

C-bob, I could be wrong, but to me Fant was a waste of time from the very begining. Now the ACL is not his fault, andI think if Jokey can come back we might salvage, if not doom, RW in hospital.
obiken
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:38 pm

Well I disagree on Fant Obi, while I believe he was way over his head last year and would have been better served playing back-up for a year I think he had/has some pretty damn good potential and I was excited to see if he could pull it all together this year.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:09 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Well I disagree on Fant Obi, while I believe he was way over his head last year and would have been better served playing back-up for a year I think he had/has some pretty damn good potential and I was excited to see if he could pull it all together this year.

Ok, you and River watch line play more than I do; I see the bad result not the great blocks!
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:11 pm

obiken wrote:Ok, you and River watch line play more than I do; I see the bad result not the great blocks!

You're giving me way too much credit, Obi.

Fant graded out as the worst starting LT in all of football last season, and under normal conditions, his injury might be regarded as a blessing in disguise. But continuity is a real concern with the OL, and his departure only complicates an already complicated situation. Jockel sliding out to LT opens up the LG spot, so we're likely to have two newbies to break in as a result of one injury.

I'm sincerely worried that this season's OL is looking a whole lot like our last two seasons OL's vs the OL's we had in our two consecutive SB runs.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:56 pm

Apparently Pete says Odhiambo will get first crack at LT.
Maybe a week of work will result in an increase in proficiency.
We'll see in a few days what the future holds.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:42 am

This isn't a new situation for us since Walt retired.
Okung never played a whole season in Seattle with the closest being in 2012 when he played in 15 and 2014 when he played in 14 and missing 24 games total in his 6 years here.
However, he was a solid LT when playing, so we just have to expect something less than solid again this year and if whomever ends up with the job does well it will be a bonus.
I can't see us picking up Albert for two reasons - 1 he is very expensive and 2 there is doubt he is all in on playing.
After Webb last year, I don't think we will make a bigger mistake this year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:50 am

According to Cable, Odhiambo and Tobin will compete to start at LT.
Cable doesn't want to move Joeckel as he thinks he's played great so far and doesn't want to make more changes than necessary.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/08/22 ... s%E2%80%9D
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:22 pm

I'm really hoping the (LT) auditions don't end with Od & Tobin being the only considerations.
Otherwise, it won't take much 'selling' by the line on screen plays.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:52 am

Zorn76 wrote:I'm really hoping the (LT) auditions don't end with Od & Tobin being the only considerations.
Otherwise, it won't take much 'selling' by the line on screen plays.

That's been a staple of our Offense the last couple of years.
It looks like that's what they are going to do, though with Joeckel as the fallback should they both fail miserably.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... ne-intact/
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:33 pm

I hope this doesn't act as another excuse for Cable's lousy O-line drafting and play. We need new blood at O-line coach or at least making the picks. Something needs to change when you have this many O-line draft picks and so few turn out to be productive players.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:18 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:I hope this doesn't act as another excuse for Cable's lousy O-line drafting and play. We need new blood at O-line coach or at least making the picks. Something needs to change when you have this many O-line draft picks and so few turn out to be productive players.

I agree Completely.

The projects of turning DL to OL, or banking on a guy who played more basketball than football to be our LT is a joke. I would have liked to see Fant this year, but am not devastated by his injury in the least. I wish him a full recovery, but hope we've moved on by the time he's healthy. He might be good for depth since they've put time into him already, but that's likely his ceiling.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:59 am

Cable's philosophy has simply never worked, and certainly isn't worth keeping now.
His insistence on Over thinking the position and seeing talent that isn't there has wasted too much time.

He's been around long enough to know that nothing will really improve under his teaching.
The fact that he doesn't get any HC offers at the NFL level speaks volumes over any argument on his behalf. Same with his pal, Darrell.

I understand giving passes to Pete and John - since they had Everything to do with us winning a SB - but Cable and Bevell were merely along for the ride in comparison.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:34 am

Zorn76 wrote:Cable's philosophy has simply never worked, and certainly isn't worth keeping now.
His insistence on Over thinking the position and seeing talent that isn't there has wasted too much time.

He's been around long enough to know that nothing will really improve under his teaching.
The fact that he doesn't get any HC offers at the NFL level speaks volumes over any argument on his behalf. Same with his pal, Darrell.

I understand giving passes to Pete and John - since they had Everything to do with us winning a SB - but Cable and Bevell were merely along for the ride in comparison.

If we're talking about just the O-line I think you kinda have to "blame" Pete and John. Blaming Cable for our O-line being sub par is like blaming the Manager of a McDonald's for not putting out 5 star cuisine. He may be no Howard Mudd but he may well be just exactly the guy a team needs to make something of the guys we give him to work with. Until we start devoting resources more in line with the NFL average on our line we really can't blame Cable.

I agree wholeheartedly with the "but it's working" caveat though, at least as it relates to the team.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:23 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:If we're talking about just the O-line I think you kinda have to "blame" Pete and John. Blaming Cable for our O-line being sub par is like blaming the Manager of a McDonald's for not putting out 5 star cuisine. He may be no Howard Mudd but he may well be just exactly the guy a team needs to make something of the guys we give him to work with. Until we start devoting resources more in line with the NFL average on our line we really can't blame Cable.

I agree wholeheartedly with the "but it's working" caveat though, at least as it relates to the team.

Sorry, c-bob. He's been given a lot of draft capital he has had a hand in choosing. None of them have turned into great O-lineman. This argument is false. That many O-line misses is another reason he should be gone. Most O-line's build with 2nd and 3rd round picks. That is what he has gotten for many years. He hasn't built any into amazing players. Our best O-line guys and only Pro Bowlers have been the picks from previous O-line coaches. Okung had one Pro Bowl and was chosen by that guy didn't last training camp. I can't even remember the old guy's name. And Max Unger who was chosen by Unger. All of Cable's picks have been average to subpar performers.

Cable needs to be held accountable. If the groceries aren't good, Cable's partially at fault because he has had major input since he arrived. They've given him a lot of higher round picks whether a 2nd and 3rd round with Carpenter and that guy who became a dope head from Wisconsin. There have been numerous picks for Cable and none of them have become amazing players. Britt's move to center seems to have helped him, but even he wasn't a great guard or RT. Cable's had his chances. His ability to pick groceries hasn't been very good. Cable has admitted himself he has major input on picking the groceries since he arrived.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:43 pm

Nobody points at the players. It's always the coaches fault.
Largent80
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum