Staring down the barrel.....

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Staring down the barrel.....

Postby curmudgeon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:56 pm

...of 8-8. Just short 2017.
curmudgeon
Legacy

Re: Staring down the barrel.....

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:32 pm

And losing doesn't help us too much. We gave up so much draft capital at this point, we're helping other teams by losing and giving them higher draft picks. Pete and John bet heavy on this year and it's unraveling.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:26 pm

We're a one-and-done playoff team if we get in.
Does anybody honestly see this team suddenly being able to run the ball - besides RW?
Not likely.
It's just been like the last 2 yrs now, good enough to qualify, but we're not a legit threat to make a deep run in January.
We're approaching the biggest off season since Pete arrived.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:09 am

I don't even believe we get it now. We have at least 2 future losses in the bag.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:10 am

I've said it once or twice this year, but this is not a SB contender. We are a very pedestrian, .500ish team. And the worst of it is that we've played a very soft schedule to this point, as the combined W/L record of our opponents is a paltry 42-58. The only way I see us making the playoffs is if the Rams implode worse than we do, which realistically means them going 2-4 down the stretch.

And as ASF pointed out, we've spent a lot of draft capital in the Richardson and Brown trades, so we've pretty much gone all in (a strategy I happen to agree with btw).

With 2/3 of the LOB on the shelf, no running back worth their weight, and an offensive line that's no better today than it was 2 years ago, our window could be closing. If Pete hangs around another year, he's going to have to make some wholesale changes in his coaching staff, namely Bevell and Cable.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:19 am

Davis was running and catching well before he got hurt.

This team is snakebitten with injuries yet again. It's actually amazing that it can be competitive even with all of the injuries actually.

RW was insanely good last night except for the one throw.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:32 am

Largent80 wrote:Davis was running and catching well before he got hurt.

This team is snakebitten with injuries yet again. It's actually amazing that it can be competitive even with all of the injuries actually.

RW was insanely good last night except for the one throw.

RiverDog wrote:I've said it once or twice this year, but this is not a SB contender. We are a very pedestrian, .500ish team. And the worst of it is that we've played a very soft schedule to this point, as the combined W/L record of our opponents is a paltry 42-58. The only way I see us making the playoffs is if the Rams implode worse than we do, which realistically means them going 2-4 down the stretch.

And as ASF pointed out, we've spent a lot of draft capital in the Richardson and Brown trades, so we've pretty much gone all in (a strategy I happen to agree with btw).

With 2/3 of the LOB on the shelf, no running back worth their weight, and an offensive line that's no better today than it was 2 years ago, our window could be closing. If Pete hangs around another year, he's going to have to make some wholesale changes in his coaching staff, namely Bevell and Cable.

It actually might be a good thing for next year but disasterous this year. Here's why:

MAYBE they will get back to "compete" for your job. I think the only safe positions on this team right now is ET, Bwags and RW. Everyone else is going to have to compete for their job. That includes Bennett, Baldwin, Lockette, PRich, Graham, all the Oline, all the RBs since we've seen some flashes there, LBs both corners now that we have a number of them that have shown flashes and the DL since we have Reed, Jones, Jordan, etc there.

Time to get their big boy pants on and quit taking days off during the week. Time to compete again for your job.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:43 am

Seattle still controls their destiny in the division.
Last night in spite of injuries across the board and defensive breakdowns and an idiotic decision to fake an extra point field goal they were right there at the end a couple of feet from extra innings .

In Russ I trust.any team he leads is never out of it.if Eli Manning can lead a 10-6 giants team to Lombardi then Russ p Wilson sure as hell can do the same with seattle
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:50 am

Agree with you, Hawktawk. And I think it was a 9-7 Giants team that Eli took to the Super Bowl.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:04 pm

But it wasn't all Eli that year. He had a reasonable Offense around him.
I don't know if any team has ever made it let alone won because of a single player.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:55 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:Agree with you, Hawktawk. And I think it was a 9-7 Giants team that Eli took to the Super Bowl.

I thought it was Mack . I wasn’t sure so I didn’t want to over exaggerate like usual :) I stand by what I said.im actually pretty optimistic. This team was 4-5 in 2015
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:08 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:Agree with you, Hawktawk. And I think it was a 9-7 Giants team that Eli took to the Super Bowl.

Wasn't that with a pass rush from hell? That was when the Giants pass rush was the best in the league. QB killers across the line.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:47 pm

They were in the super bowl both times, especially in 2007 shutting down a record setting offense .

They were getting home on Brady with 4 and blanketing the receivers.
Spagnola was a one team wonder calling that defense but that team was the pats last game of the year twice....
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:56 pm

NorthHawk wrote:But it wasn't all Eli that year. He had a reasonable Offense around him.
I don't know if any team has ever made it let alone won because of a single player.

I actually think our offense is pretty good when it is allowed to be so. Who saw those two screen passes coming that we all of sudden found? If the oline would have picked up that one guy who took out Davis, he might have scored. It was wide open to the goal line. Not sure why the two olinemen ran past the one guy who could take Davis down...
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:08 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Eli Manning can lead a 10-6 (9-7) giants team to Lombardi then Russ p Wilson sure as hell can do the same with seattle

The 2007 Giants were one of only 5 wild card teams to make the Super Bowl and the last one to do so. With a 9-7 record, they were the first and only team with fewer than 11 regular season wins to advance to the SB. Before then, the other wild card teams to make it were the 11 win 2005 Steelers, the 12 win 2000 Ravens, the 12 win 1997 Broncos, and the 11 win 1980 Raiders, so while it is always possible and I won't give up hope until we are mathematically eliminated, it's not very reassuring to buoy our hopes based on a historical anomaly.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:43 pm

“History is bunk “
Henry Ford
History won’t take a single snap. The giants had to have played wild card weekend in 2011 at 9-7 anyway. 12-4 is still mathematically possible right now . I’ll keep the faith.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:39 pm

Hawktawk wrote:“History is bunk “
Henry Ford
History won’t take a single snap. The giants had to have played wild card weekend in 2011 at 9-7 anyway. 12-4 is still mathematically possible right now . I’ll keep the faith.

I'm certainly not trying to discourage you or anyone else, and so long as we're still mathematically alive, I'll continue to watch and root like hell. As much as I piss and moan, I still love my team and the players on it.

But after having a taste of some really good football teams, in particular, the 2012, 2013, and 2014 squads, these last 3 editions have taken some of the passion out of it for me. It's a different feeling. Even the Clink doesn't seem as loud as it used to be.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:00 pm

The journey to the top is always more exciting than the struggle to stay there.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:06 am

Nothing will change until Pete Fires Cable and Bevell, period.
F those guys.
Zorn76
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum