OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby Futureite » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:06 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Futurerite already bet big on Colin Kaepernick, believing all the hype about him, and lost that argument as well believing stupidly CK was far better than he was.

This is sports. Futurerite and Niner fans can make their argument. Seattle fans can disagree. It doesn't matter because it will all be decided on the field. All that matters to Seattle fans is that if Jimmy G fails, the Niners fail. If Jimmy G succeeds, then we have a rival we must respect. We'll see over the next few years.


You are right, I judged CK to be better than he ended up being. But the truth is, he was a good QB - no matter how people try to twist and make him appear awful. And he should still be a starter in this league, an above 90 rating QB in the right situation. Did he turn out to be as good as RW? No. I give the man his due. He has now put up the numbers and is generally great in the clutch situations. He is an upper level talent and the difference between him, CK and others is that he can succeed under adverse situations, doesn’t need the “right” situation.

And you are right about JG. We will see over time. We like all the legit things we’ve seen so far. Time will tell.
Futureite
Legacy
 
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby RiverDog » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:09 am

Futureite wrote:You are right, I judged CK to be better than he ended up being. But the truth is, he was a good QB - no matter how people try to twist and make him appear awful. And he should still be a starter in this league, an above 90 rating QB in the right situation. Did he turn out to be as good as RW? No. I give the man his due. He has now put up the numbers and is generally great in the clutch situations. He is an upper level talent and the difference between him, CK and others is that he can succeed under adverse situations, doesn’t need the “right” situation.


I'm not sure about Kaepernick's being a starter. Once he lost his fig leaf in the form of his offensive line disolving and Pro Bowl running back departing, Kaepernick was very pedestrian at best. Maybe if he went to someplace like Dallas, a team with a great OL and a starting QB that has a similar skill set to that of which Kaepernick had during his best years. But you could say that about a lot of wannabe quarterbacks, ie that they could be a starter if all the stars lined up for them.

But I do agree that under normal circumstances, Kaepernick is good enough to be on an NFL roster. The trouble is that his talent is not good enough to offset the legitimate concerns that teams have over the PR circus that would ensue. He chit in his own nest. It will be interesting to see if his collusion lawsuit goes anywhere.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:24 am

I think the "PR Circus" is overblown. It'd be done after the first week. It's taken on a life of its own now and evolved into something that spreads the focal point to other players and teams.
However, I read an article that said his last year (or maybe his last few games) he had as good stats as Garropolo in his first few games in SF.
He didn't have much help around him then, either if I recollect, but I didn't look at any of the stats to confirm 'cause I don't really care much about SF.
NorthHawk
Legacy
 
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 am

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby mykc14 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:34 am

NorthHawk wrote:I think the "PR Circus" is overblown. It'd be done after the first week. It's taken on a life of its own now and evolved into something that spreads the focal point to other players and teams.
However, I read an article that said his last year (or maybe his last few games) he had as good stats as Garropolo in his first few games in SF.
He didn't have much help around him then, either if I recollect, but I didn't look at any of the stats to confirm 'cause I don't really care much about SF.


He was on a championship quality team when he became a starter in SF. They made it to the NFCCG the year before and the SB in his first year as a starter. The team he took over is nowhere near the team that SF has right now. Also, he was in his second season when he took over so he knew the system. One reason SF is so high on Jimmy is because he was able to play at a high level after a mid-season trade, pretty remarkable. Also, Kaepernick's game was based on athleticism and mis-direction (zone read, etc..). He ran a simplified passing attack that really only required him to make one or two reads and only read half the field for the most part. He was successful because he played behind the best OL in the league.
mykc14
Legacy
 
Posts: 1407
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:45 am

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby RiverDog » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:42 am

NorthHawk wrote:I think the "PR Circus" is overblown. It'd be done after the first week. It's taken on a life of its own now and evolved into something that spreads the focal point to other players and teams.
However, I read an article that said his last year (or maybe his last few games) he had as good stats as Garropolo in his first few games in SF.
He didn't have much help around him then, either if I recollect, but I didn't look at any of the stats to confirm 'cause I don't really care much about SF.


I'm not saying that the "PR Circus" is or isn't overblown. What I am saying is that it is a factor as to why Kaepernick doesn't at least have a job as a backup. We know that at least two teams, the Giants and Ravens, where it was a factor.

And you're right about Kaep's last few of games with the Niners. They were pretty decent. In his last 4 games, he threw for 6 TD's and just one INT and his last two games his completion percentage was above 75%. But it's hard to justify those numbers as the last game of the season was against us and a virtual mail-it-in and one of the games was in a blowout loss to the Falcons. Bottom line was that his 2016 performance was the bottoming out of a three year slide.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby Futureite » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:41 pm

River;

His last full season he put up 16 TDs 4 INTs, which is a better ratio than more than half the starters in the league. What he lacked was consistency. He never developed into a consistently accurate QB or one that could adapt to different schemes thrown at him on the fly. He wasn't a guy who could perform in the Tomsula/Kelly O. A truly upper level QB would have, but he did not turn out to be that. Look around the league though. Alex Smith had an incredible statistical year and yet he looked like a bust almost the entire time I watched him here. He needed the right situation. It's not really unique for a QB to "need" a particular system or surrounding talent to thrive. There are only a few that can put up numbers in adverse conditions (Wilson would be one of the few) and even fewer that can elevate the rest of the team to be consistent SB contenders regardless of the subpar talent around them (I'd say, Rodgers and Brady). But overall, I see your points.

Mykc makes a lot of good points. I don't know what JG will become but he did demonstrate the qualities we want at QB. He's a pure pocket passer who is consistently accurate, even under duress. He has good leadership skills. We haven't seen that mold of QB here since the early 90's. I don't think Jeff Garcia counts.
Futureite
Legacy
 
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby RiverDog » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:21 am

Futureite wrote:River;

His last full season he (Kaepernick) put up 16 TDs 4 INTs, which is a better ratio than more than half the starters in the league.


I think you're a little guilty of cherry picking. Yes, Kaepernick's 2016 TD/INT ratio was very good, but just about every other statistical category was well below the norm for starting QB's. He ranked 29th in total yards, 24th in yards per attempt, 26th in completion percentatge, 30th in yards per game. And that followed a 2015 season where he put up very similar numbers.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:19 am

The problem with stats is what they don't answer.
Who was he throwing to and how many YAC did they get and how many drops? What was the Offense asking of him and did the receivers run the proper routes?
16/4 is a pretty good ratio regardless of the other stats and is probably the only one that's meaningful without the other info. It shows he was taking care not to throw INT's but there were probably a few drops by defenders and maybe some TDs dropped by the WRs, so it's not perfect either.
NorthHawk
Legacy
 
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 am

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby RiverDog » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:12 pm

NorthHawk wrote:The problem with stats is what they don't answer.
Who was he throwing to and how many YAC did they get and how many drops? What was the Offense asking of him and did the receivers run the proper routes?
16/4 is a pretty good ratio regardless of the other stats and is probably the only one that's meaningful without the other info. It shows he was taking care not to throw INT's but there were probably a few drops by defenders and maybe some TDs dropped by the WRs, so it's not perfect either.


I'm no more or less enamored over a TD/INT ratio as I am a completion percentage. There's more than what you mentioned that can affect a TD/INT stat. There's a number of interceptions that are not on the QB but rather the receiver, either having a pass bounce off their hands or by running a bad route. And I wouldn't rate a TD pass like the one Foles caught in the Super Bowl as I would a 60 yard strike with defenders hanging all over the QB. The fact that touchdowns and interceptions are much more rare events than other stats like attempts and completions means that it's going to be influenced more by the anomaly or fluke play.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby Futureite » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:37 pm

River;

I agree with most of what you posted, other than the cherrypicking part. I was not cherrypicking - just pointing out that 16 TDS 90.7 QB rating should be good enough to start on a good number of NFL teams. When you consider Tom Savage, Jay Cutler, Tyrod Taylor on and on started, it's a pretty tough argument to say Kap shouldn't have started somewhere as a 15-20ish tier QB. But yes, I agree that he was erratic, did not sustain drives and was not consistently accurate. All of the other stats you listed are extremely important to the success of an O. Pretty much the meat and potatoes of it (at least for the pass game). I loved Kap but much more confident in who we have now at this point.
Futureite
Legacy
 
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby RiverDog » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:53 am

Futureite wrote:River;

I agree with most of what you posted, other than the cherrypicking part. I was not cherrypicking - just pointing out that 16 TDS 90.7 QB rating should be good enough to start on a good number of NFL teams. When you consider Tom Savage, Jay Cutler, Tyrod Taylor on and on started, it's a pretty tough argument to say Kap shouldn't have started somewhere as a 15-20ish tier QB. But yes, I agree that he was erratic, did not sustain drives and was not consistently accurate. All of the other stats you listed are extremely important to the success of an O. Pretty much the meat and potatoes of it (at least for the pass game). I loved Kap but much more confident in who we have now at this point.


Part of the problem is his demeanor, and that's more than just his anthem protests. If he wants to go to a team and compete for the starting job, he has to look and act like a Face of the Franchise player. He's the quarterback, not a wide receiver. The only QB in the league that can get away with that kind of behavior is Cam Newton, and even his antics don't approach what Kaepernick has done while he was with SF. Growing his 'fro out hurt his ability to land a job, as was the headphones issue, his disrespect for his fans, his piggy socks, Castro tee shirt, and so on. The guy is a dipchit, doesn't seem to recognize the environment within which he and every other wannabe NFL quarterback must operate in. The guy has turned himself into this huge PR risk, and his marginal quarterbacking skills doesn't justify taking that risk, at least not for most teams that are in the market for a starting QB....and no one is going to take that chance if all he's going to be is an insurance policy.

By donating his first ever NFL paycheck to hurricane relief, Deshaun Watson seems to have recognized that a starting quarterback has an unwritten obligation to craft an image of himself that all fans can rally around. Russell Wilson has that attribute in spades. Kaepernick still doesn't get it, and thus he's still without a job.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:43 am

No. That's simply not true.
He's being blackballed because of his stand. He's better than many of the starting QBs in the league and most of the backups, but he couldn't even get a tryout.
It has nothing to do with his afro, socks, or tee shirt, and everything to do with the league owners sending a message that it's their show and players better toe the line.
NorthHawk
Legacy
 
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 am

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby RiverDog » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:06 pm

NorthHawk wrote:No. That's simply not true.
He's being blackballed because of his stand. He's better than many of the starting QBs in the league and most of the backups, but he couldn't even get a tryout.
It has nothing to do with his afro, socks, or tee shirt, and everything to do with the league owners sending a message that it's their show and players better toe the line.


Then we should expect his collusion lawsuit to bear fruit. Right?
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:15 pm

If it's not turned into a sham, then yes.
NorthHawk
Legacy
 
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 am

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby Futureite » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:25 pm

River;

The Face of The Franchise stuff is great for selling tickets and marketing (hence, it is important) but it doesn’t mean much for Ws and Ls. What matters is how well you play. Eli Manning never said a whole lot but he won two SBs. People follow other people who demonstrate compentency at what they do.

And, I’d say it also matters in the sense of the energy the QB brings to the team. If players view the QB as the alpha or the leader, they’ll play for him - regardless of whether the media or fans like his haircut or sox or hiw he speaks in front of a mic. Philip Rivers is kind of an A-Whole, but players love him. Why? He’s very good, very competitive. it’s pretty hard to be the “alpha” or leader at anything though when your skills don’t match the job description. You just end up looking like Brock Osweiler, screaming to deaf ears on the sideline. Bottom line, when we were winning, Kap was leading. He was confident. When the team, staff and ownership became a clustereff and we started losing, he wasn’t good enough to carry the entire Org - and his confidence took a hit. Thus, he couldn’t lead. I’m not sure too many QBs would have excelled in that mess. I know Alex Smith never did.
Futureite
Legacy
 
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby Futureite » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:35 pm

NorthHawk wrote:No. That's simply not true.
He's being blackballed because of his stand. He's better than many of the starting QBs in the league and most of the backups, but he couldn't even get a tryout.
It has nothing to do with his afro, socks, or tee shirt, and everything to do with the league owners sending a message that it's their show and players better toe the line.


I agree. Though it’s true he hasn’t helped himself in terms of getting another QB job with any of this stuff. People tend to forget though that he said he was done kneeling and would not discuss it further on another team. When you consider that, it’s hard to explain why he can’t even get a tryout. Felons and thugs have done far worse and received 2nd, 3rd and 4th tries in this league. Still blows my mind that this guy had a 4.0 GPS in highschool, graduated Nevada with honors, has no criminal record and honestly, has never really said even a tenth of the things numerous players in this league have (can you really remember him insulting anyone directly?), and yet some people just hate him. Not dislike, but full on hate. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on personalities though, and NFL owners have made their opinion loud and clear without saying a single word.
Futureite
Legacy
 
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby Old but Slow » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:52 am

Unusual that I am agreeing with a Niner, but Kap is being held under a different standard. Because he was the first? I don't know. And, meanwhile how much will his skills suffer from no game action for a long time. It is disgraceful, and I only hope that there can be some chance for him to succeed or fail.
Old but Slow
Legacy
 
Posts: 905
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:05 pm
Location: Bellingham, WA 98225

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby RiverDog » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:44 am

Whether you consider the practice to be right or wrong, the reality is that there are some owners/GM's that do consider character aspects when signing players, particularly the quarterback, who no matter how good, bad, or indifferent they turn out to be, are going to be under intense scrutiny. Anyone here remember Tim Ruskell? Do you think he would have brought in Kaepernick? Or how about Miami? Do you think that the GM there would be willing to bring Kaepernick and his Castro tee shirt to South Florida?

I have my doubts as to whether or not Kaepernick could be a Week 1 starter for a lot of teams in the NFL. With his skill set, the only place he'd fit in would be with a team that has an above average OL and a good running game. Jacksonville might be one such place. Is Kaepernick better than Blake Bortles? Perhaps. But are you going to bench Bortles, a top 10 pick that you've invested heavily in? If it failed, it could be a career ender for the HC/GM, much more so than if Bortles struggled, so it'd take a set of nuts.

Dallas would be a good landing spot...great offensive line, outstanding running back..but is Jerry Jones going to bench Dak Prescott and hand the job over to Kaepernick? At least Jones doesn't have to worry about getting fired if it failed, but still, it's not likely.

So bottom line is that (1) I do think that Kaepernick could start for a few teams and do well. Whether they'd be willing to change quarterbacks is another matter. (2) I do believe that his non football behavior has affected his prospects, and (3) I seriously doubt that a large number of teams have conspired to "blackball" him due to his political activism.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby Old but Slow » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:50 am

Character issues. What a loaded term. An icon, Ray Lewis, was reputed to hang with gangs and was implicated in a shooting, A number of players and coaches have been involved in domestic violence issues. Drug issues have arisen. So, a player takes an unpopular political stand, and suddenly has "character issues". I heard he was a good student, never been in trouble with the law, but he has that big afro, and he's angry. So…it's where we live.
Old but Slow
Legacy
 
Posts: 905
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:05 pm
Location: Bellingham, WA 98225

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby RiverDog » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:09 am

Old but Slow wrote:Character issues. What a loaded term. An icon, Ray Lewis, was reputed to hang with gangs and was implicated in a shooting, A number of players and coaches have been involved in domestic violence issues. Drug issues have arisen. So, a player takes an unpopular political stand, and suddenly has "character issues". I heard he was a good student, never been in trouble with the law, but he has that big afro, and he's angry. So…it's where we live.


Yes, indeed, "character" is a loaded term. It can mean many different things and apply to a wide variety of people and actions, from a rapist like Mike Tyson to a party animal like Johnny Manziel to an accused murderer like Ray Lewis. No doubt about it, there's a lot of things that can fall under the category of "character issues."

Being stupid can be considered a character issue, too, and as a starting quarterback, Kaepernick was stupid for continuously thrusting himself into controversial situations for years, from his refusal to take off his headphones in post game pressers, his getting mixed up with a strange woman that ended up in a hospital and a little brush with the law, to his disrespecting Niner fans by sporting a Dolphins cap, to his piggy socks, his Castro tee shirt, his anthem protests, his admission that he didn't vote, and yes, stupid for growing out his '70's 'fro (Michael Vick, of all people, called him out on it). Then he was stupid to opt out of his contract.

Stupid is as stupid does.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:45 pm

Kap started a movement to denigrate the national anthem in a league that bills itself as America's game. If you're stupid enough to attack your job's major marketing point, you better be Tom Brady or Peyton Manning if you want to stay in that job. He's not. He's a backup QB at best or a fill in for the short-term. A player like that isn't worth signing when he attacks one of the major marketing points of your league and business. You do not have a right in this nation to attack the business you work in a manner that is damaging to their marketing. No person has that right while retaining their job. Kap only had a platform for his message because he played in the NFL, now the NFL has decided that they don't want their platform used for that message. Kap isn't a good enough player to make signing him worth the damage to their marketing message, that's why he isn't in the league.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 12:38 am

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby idhawkman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:45 pm

Zorn76 wrote:It's a business.
You're worth whatever your agent can get you.

minus his cut obviously...
User avatar
idhawkman
Legacy
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:00 am

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby Old but Slow » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:33 pm

I guess what we need is a league full of suits and ties, and flags , and no rainbows…sorry, just a little bitter tonight.
Old but Slow
Legacy
 
Posts: 905
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:05 pm
Location: Bellingham, WA 98225

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby RiverDog » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:48 am

Old but Slow wrote:I guess what we need is a league full of suits and ties, and flags , and no rainbows…sorry, just a little bitter tonight.


A little bit of an extreme example, wouldn't you say? Although it wouldn't be what I'd wear, Cam Newton's rather eccentric attire cannot be classified as suits, ties, and flags.

All I'm saying is that if you go out looking for a job, which Kaepernick has been doing for over a year, it is good advice to adjust your appearance and in the case of high profile jobs like NFL QB's, your behavior, to expected standards if you want to make a good impression on your prospective employer. I have no doubt that if after leaving college and entering the job market that I would not have gotten even a 2nd interview in any of the jobs that I had applied for had I not cut my nearly shoulder length hair, trimmed my sideburns, and worn something besides tennis shoes and Seafarers to the interviews. When in Rome, do as the Romans.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby Futureite » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:21 pm

I've avoided posting on this so that it does not turn into a political or social debate (they don't seem to end well). But if we are really talking about "image", consider the image of the NFL owners. They are predominantly wealthy, old, fat white men. What they view as "acceptable" attire or behavior is not necessarily what the public at large views as acceptable.

Also, the NFL has built and marketed its entire image off of violence - not patriotism. Hence the reason Joe Mixon gets drafted in the 2nd RD and there's nary a complaint from anyone. If there weren't graphic video of Ray Rice, he'd still be in a uniform today. On and on. Let's not fool ourselves into believing their's some lofty moral standard set by those in control of NFL Football.
Futureite
Legacy
 
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby RiverDog » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:02 pm

Futureite wrote:I've avoided posting on this so that it does not turn into a political or social debate (they don't seem to end well). But if we are really talking about "image", consider the image of the NFL owners. They are predominantly wealthy, old, fat white men. What they view as "acceptable" attire or behavior is not necessarily what the public at large views as acceptable.

Also, the NFL has built and marketed its entire image off of violence - not patriotism. Hence the reason Joe Mixon gets drafted in the 2nd RD and there's nary a complaint from anyone. If there weren't graphic video of Ray Rice, he'd still be in a uniform today. On and on. Let's not fool ourselves into believing their's some lofty moral standard set by those in control of NFL Football.


Sure, the owners are hypocritical as all get out. Jerry Richardson is a real weirdo, asking young, attractive female employees for foot massages, insisting that they wear a certain attire that enhances their features, and so on. And you're absolutely right about the Ray Rice incident. The Ravens were 4 square behind him until the video surfaced. But that's not the point.

The money goes from the owners to the players, so like it or not, fair or not, the players..unless they are very, very good, which Kaepernick is not...have to live by a bunch of old, white fat cat's rules. They are the ones that sign the checks and as such, you must play by their rules if you want a job. If you're a player that's on the bubble of sorts, you don't want to give them a reason to say no thanks, which is what Kaepernick has done. He chit in his own nest.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby Futureite » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:24 pm

Fair enough River. I cannot argue there.
Futureite
Legacy
 
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:20 pm

Futureite wrote:I've avoided posting on this so that it does not turn into a political or social debate (they don't seem to end well). But if we are really talking about "image", consider the image of the NFL owners. They are predominantly wealthy, old, fat white men. What they view as "acceptable" attire or behavior is not necessarily what the public at large views as acceptable.

Also, the NFL has built and marketed its entire image off of violence - not patriotism. Hence the reason Joe Mixon gets drafted in the 2nd RD and there's nary a complaint from anyone. If there weren't graphic video of Ray Rice, he'd still be in a uniform today. On and on. Let's not fool ourselves into believing their's some lofty moral standard set by those in control of NFL Football.


Who said anything about a moral standard? I explained their marketing. Your team has like how many "America's Games" specials? Five? One for each Super Bowl.

Its basically like a guy that worked for McDonald's expecting to be a high level manager or CEO of the company while he promotes health food and creates documentaries about how horrible Big Macs are. It doesn't matter that McDonald's owners don't care about American's health. McDonald's does not have to employ a guy that is a negative for their business. This could apply to any business from cars to computers to guided missile systems. If someone is damaging your business with their message using the money and fame they've obtained from their business, that business doesn't have to employ them.

I'm sure if Kaep were in the NBA, no one would really care. Baseball might care, not sure. The NFL definitely sells itself as "America's Game." This kneeling for the anthem he started is awful for their marketing.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 12:38 am

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby RiverDog » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:42 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:I'm sure if Kaep were in the NBA, no one would really care. Baseball might care, not sure. The NFL definitely sells itself as "America's Game." This kneeling for the anthem he started is awful for their marketing.


You pose an interesting twist on the subject. I haven't paid that much attention to what players in the other leagues are doing when the anthem is played. I do know that one of the concerns being expressed by parents and teachers is that the trend was being copied by some high school football players across the country. The league has always been concerned about their impact on the high schools, which is one of the reasons why they for so long were considered the "No Fun League" as they were afraid of being copied by high schoolers.

You're absouletely right about the marketing angle on all of this, which is the point that Futureite and ObS are missing. The point isn't whether or not you agree with kneeling, if you like Kaepernick's 'fro, or what you think about players publicly expressing their views on social issues. What the owners care most about is making money. Start doing something that hits their wallets and you won't be playing for them for very long, unless you can make them enough money to offset that which they lost by allowing you to express yourself.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby Largent80 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:34 am

There is a lot of judging going on here.

Seriously?...begrudging a person for their hair style?...This sounds like the 60's.

Also, the very same people slamming others political view in the off topic forum at the same time, while saying it's ok to unload on an athlete because of their "status" as an athlete, what utter B.S.

What realm or plane in this universe holds onto this type of thought process?

I would say a very smug, opinionated douche. I feel sorry for you.
User avatar
Largent80
Legacy
 
Posts: 1475
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: Magnolia, Texas

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby Futureite » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:42 pm

ASF;

I guess I do not buy into the theory that Kap or any other athlete has hurt the image of the game or driven down its ratings. Ratings are down across the board in all forms of media - not just football. I believe the NFL just signed a $500 mil contract with Verizon. It’s still a healthy, thriving business. I do agree that any business can make a decision that a potential media circus outweighs the onfield benefits, and that’s a fair point. But all 32 teams feel that way, to the point he cannot even get a tryout with one of them? To my knowledge that’d be the first time in NFL history its happened to a player who has a clean crminal record. It’s going to be nearly impossible to prove the NFL owners colluded to prevent him from being employed, but it sure feels that way.
Futureite
Legacy
 
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:41 pm

Futureite wrote:ASF;

I guess I do not buy into the theory that Kap or any other athlete has hurt the image of the game or driven down its ratings. Ratings are down across the board in all forms of media - not just football. I believe the NFL just signed a $500 mil contract with Verizon. It’s still a healthy, thriving business. I do agree that any business can make a decision that a potential media circus outweighs the onfield benefits, and that’s a fair point. But all 32 teams feel that way, to the point he cannot even get a tryout with one of them? To my knowledge that’d be the first time in NFL history its happened to a player who has a clean crminal record. It’s going to be nearly impossible to prove the NFL owners colluded to prevent him from being employed, but it sure feels that way.


I don't know if or how much it hurt their ratings. Look, if Kaepernick were better, he'd get his shot. I'm not ignorant that a some QBs worse than Colin K. have jobs as backups in this league. Those guys know to tow the line at that position. QB is the one position you don't want bringing bad press to your team. Starting QBs need to stay as squeaky clean as possible even more so than any other position on the team. Backup QBs need to be unnoticed. Nature of the position Kaep plays. I wouldn't be surprised if Kap played LB or O-lineman, he would have a job right now. QBs are held to a higher standard than other positions because even the backup is supposed to be capable of leading the team and being the face of the franchise for a short-time if needed. QBs and Head coaches are the only guys that always talk to the press after games. Their jerseys sell the most. They get paid more, even as backups.

Kap took a stand on a divisive issue that America is very divided on in a manner detrimental to one of the NFL's major marketing points while playing the most visible position in the league. If anyone wants to know what happens to a marginal player that does this, then Kap is now their case study. Muhammad Ali experienced a lot of pain to his career for taking an unpopular stand and time proved him right. We'll see if the same is done for Kaepernick. When you take an unpopular stand in a business like the NFL, this is what happens to you. Learn to live with it or shut your mouth.

What did Kap think? His career would be ok after this? If he thought that, then he's as dumb as a box of rocks. You make a stand, you pay the price. You better push it as far as you can off the field as well. Maybe he'll convert to Islam and choose a new name to follow the Ali model to a tee.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 12:38 am

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby RiverDog » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:47 pm

Futureite wrote:ASF;

I guess I do not buy into the theory that Kap or any other athlete has hurt the image of the game or driven down its ratings. Ratings are down across the board in all forms of media - not just football. I believe the NFL just signed a $500 mil contract with Verizon. It’s still a healthy, thriving business. I do agree that any business can make a decision that a potential media circus outweighs the onfield benefits, and that’s a fair point. But all 32 teams feel that way, to the point he cannot even get a tryout with one of them? To my knowledge that’d be the first time in NFL history its happened to a player who has a clean crminal record. It’s going to be nearly impossible to prove the NFL owners colluded to prevent him from being employed, but it sure feels that way.


It's not a theory, it's a fact: The ratings are down and at least one survey shows that the top reason is the protests:

National anthem protests were the top reason that NFL fans watched fewer games last season, according to a new survey released by J.D. Power.


http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2017 ... -nfl-games

If I'm Kaepernick's lawyer trying to prove a collusion charge, that's the first thing I'd bring up in order to establish a motive: That the anthem protests started by Colin Kaepernick resulted in a significant drop in revenue for the owners and that they retaliated by blackballing him.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby Largent80 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:44 pm

What a crock. As a football fan the protests had NOTHING to do with my viewing or anyone else I know's viewing habits and in fact not one of me or my friends gave a rip about it.

We are fans of FOOTBALL and tune everything else out.

That being said, I only watch Seahawk games now because I can't stand what the NFL has done with the rules and THAT is the major reason viewing is down and don't even kid yourself with any useless website or polls or any other BS.
User avatar
Largent80
Legacy
 
Posts: 1475
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: Magnolia, Texas

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby mykc14 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:46 pm

Largent80 wrote:What a crock. As a football fan the protests had NOTHING to do with my viewing or anyone else I know's viewing habits and in fact not one of me or my friends gave a rip about it.

We are fans of FOOTBALL and tune everything else out.

That being said, I only watch Seahawk games now because I can't stand what the NFL has done with the rules and THAT is the major reason viewing is down and don't even kid yourself with any useless website or polls or any other BS.


Lol! Don’t look at the results of that poll, look at me and my buddies. Come on! Just because the protests didn’t affect you or your buddies doesn’t mean that it didn’t affect tens of thousands of other fans. I know people who did actually boycott the NFL due to the protests. I wouldn’t call them. Die-hard fans like myself but they certainly would watch NFL football every Sunday and stopped in the last few years, only watching it socially now (like coming to watch the Hawks with me).
mykc14
Legacy
 
Posts: 1407
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:45 am

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:14 pm

I don't know how much the protests had an effect on NFL ratings. I do know people tend to watch football to get away from the trials and tribulations of daily life including politics. When you go to your happy place to forget life and the players are shoving a divisive issue in your face, you might not want to view any longer. If I'm watching my favorite weekly TV show or going to a movie or restaurant with friends, would I want to go to that place if the workers there first shoved in my face this divisive issue? As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't go to those places. I'd avoid those restaurants, movie theaters, or TV shows. Not the place to push the agenda at all. All it seemed to do was focus people on NFL players kneeling than the intended issue, which further shows it wasn't the proper venue for the protest as it did not have the desired effect.

Doug Baldwin's efforts will bear more fruit than Colin K. in my opinion. Doug took real action to increase communication between the police and the affected community as a whole. Colin K. was just a grandstander with no real plan, a fake that didn't vote or pursue any real action.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 12:38 am

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby RiverDog » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:09 am

Largent80 wrote:What a crock. As a football fan the protests had NOTHING to do with my viewing or anyone else I know's viewing habits and in fact not one of me or my friends gave a rip about it.

We are fans of FOOTBALL and tune everything else out.

That being said, I only watch Seahawk games now because I can't stand what the NFL has done with the rules and THAT is the major reason viewing is down and don't even kid yourself with any useless website or polls or any other BS.


Wow. Just wow. Now you're behaving like you-know-who and calling anything you don't like fake news.

I do know people that refused to watch ESPN due to the protests. Several of them made posts about it on Facebook and were trying to recruit others to join them. The fact that the POTUS called for people to boycott the NFL is enough to cause at least some to have to heeded his request.

But, it didn't cause me not to watch, and part of my reasoning was because I wasn't going to let a few jerks cause me to tune out something that I enjoyed. Besides, unless I'm at the game, in which case I can't see a few specific players along the sideline anyway, I seldom watch the anthem being played and will use the time to do something else.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:37 pm

RiverDog wrote:Wow. Just wow. Now you're behaving like you-know-who and calling anything you don't like fake news.


Glad I'm not the only one that sees it.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 12:38 am

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby Old but Slow » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:37 pm

Sincere question: why do we need the national anthem to open sporting events? I've always felt that a whistle was enough.
Old but Slow
Legacy
 
Posts: 905
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:05 pm
Location: Bellingham, WA 98225

Re: OT: Jimmy G signs massive deal with niners

Postby RiverDog » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:35 am

Old but Slow wrote:Sincere question: why do we need the national anthem to open sporting events? I've always felt that a whistle was enough.


Since tv stations no longer sign off at 2:00am, we'd never hear it if not played at the start of sporting events...except at a medal ceremony at the Olympics, and only if we happened to win a gold, which hasn't been happening very often in the past few weeks.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mykc14 and 2 guests