Penny for you thoughts

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Penny for you thoughts

Postby The POPE » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:15 pm

Isn’t this guy like the 5th or 6th rated running back? Pete likes long arms on corners and long arms in the draft, cause the Hawks reach a lot

The Pope
The POPE
Legacy

Re: Penny for you thoughts

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:27 pm

I suspect they couldn't find a suitable partner to trade down with.
Penny is also a good return guy, so he can also I'll that need or at least give Lockett some relief.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:29 pm

Most had him rated as a 2nd. rounder but we didn't have a second rounder so this is what we end up with.

I like the guy though, a north-south runner instead of an east-west type.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:37 pm

Amazing how the NFC west will now have top 3 NFL QB's Rosen, Goff, Garapalo all young and tall and good

Don't worry Seahwks will get alot of talent in the 8th round
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby Oly » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:40 pm

I see the same thing: couldn't find a team willing to give up a pick in the top of the 2nd round and so just took the guy they liked. Even playing against 2nd tier competition, leading college runners in yards after contact gets Pete pretty happy. Also, the nugget from the broadcast about playing in a pro-style offense may be important. Remember that Rawls fell out of favor for not being able to make his reads quickly enough. Perhaps they felt Penny would be better there.

I don't have thoughts one way or the other. If he produces, then I'll like it. If he doesn't, I won't. I don't care about where he was drafted.

Go Hawks!
Oly
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:59 pm

There is no sure thing in any draft.

We picked Curry 4th overall. He busted. Same with Marcus Tubbs picked 22nd. Okung was 6th and he couldn't stay on the field. Carpenter abou the same. Malik McDowell will never take the field. Christine Michel was a failure.

Baldwin was undrafted and is our best receiver. Britt became a better center than a guard or tackle. 2nd round pick Clark is pretty damn good. Earl Thomas is a borderline Hall of Famer. Wagner is amazing. Russell Wilson is the best QB we've ever had in Seattle.

It don't matter where we draft a guy. It don't matter who else was available. Penny is a Seahawk now. Let's hope he succeeds and succeeds big. The guy's a banger. Marshawn set the standard for the kind of back we want to see in Seattle. We like north-south bangers that will grind yards and wear down a defense. We'll see what kind rage this kid has in him and more importantly, how much punishment he can take and give.

The kid has a lot of TDs. Seems quite a few were long runs because he can really move.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:11 pm

As mentioned, we had no second rd to use. PFF report on you tube raves about him. His highlight reel is impressive. A great goal line TD in the armed forces bowl just running over people
TriCitySam
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:26 pm

Love his highlight reel. He is electric with the ball. I actually like the pick, and seems like he has the potential to really help fix the running game. Ran a 4.46 40 at 220.

Seahawks draft blog has a highlight video up:

http://seahawksdraftblog.com
mykc14
Legacy

Postby trents » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:31 pm

Besides Penny, what running backs so the Hawks still have in the fold from last year? Who was the back that looked so good early last year and then got injured and couldn't play the rest of the season? Was that Davis or Carson? It's been such a revolving door I can't keep up with it all.
trents
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:01 pm

All things considered I believe Penny was a good pick, inspired even. I can't wait to see Penny carry the ball.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:42 pm

I think the Pat's were going to take him at 31.

JS said later a team called him after they took him and wanted to trade for him. He had never had that happen.
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:56 pm

I'm wondering if they are going to stay at 76 or try to package a couple of their 5th round picks + 76 to move up?
There's still a lot of room between 28 and 76 so barring a player trade, they will have a long time to wait.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:02 pm

There's a story from CBS sports that Hawks resumed communication with Cowboys concerning Thomas.
And it could be we stayed at #27 since F.O. might be anticipating trade for ET that gets us at least a 2nd rounder, and I'd imagine another pick as well.

Regardless, Earl's situation just feels like both are ready to part ways. He's a class guy and I do believe he's enjoyed his time here, but it seems like something is gonna get done soon. Ultimately, I'd rather get something now than lose him to FA coming up.

I like the Penny Pick, though.
If we had to go that side of the ball, I was actually in favor of RB.
The line...blah, blah, blah.
I guess Pete is gonna see what Solari can do with our mess there, see if he can salvage a few pieces, and move forward with some probable day 3 selections to work with.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:28 am

Zorn76 wrote:There's a story from CBS sports that Hawks resumed communication with Cowboys concerning Thomas.
And it could be we stayed at #27 since F.O. might be anticipating trade for ET that gets us at least a 2nd rounder, and I'd imagine another pick as well.

Regardless, Earl's situation just feels like both are ready to part ways. He's a class guy and I do believe he's enjoyed his time here, but it seems like something is gonna get done soon. Ultimately, I'd rather get something now than lose him to FA coming up.

I like the Penny Pick, though.
If we had to go that side of the ball, I was actually in favor of RB.
The line...blah, blah, blah.
I guess Pete is gonna see what Solari can do with our mess there, see if he can salvage a few pieces, and move forward with some probable day 3 selections to work with.

Could be true. Fact is Earl's crew is gone. Maybe Kam comes back healthy, but maybe not. Sherm and Browner are gone. He and Kam are the last of the original LoB. Kam is almost done for sure. Earl's got some good years in him. Sad truth is if we trade Earl, Pete's defense will require the he find another Earl or our secondary will be severely compromised.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:05 am

I liked the fact that we traded down 9 spots and picked up a 3rd. But this was a need pick, which is what you do when you think you're a player or two away, and we've pretty much decided that we're in a rebuild mode. I don't trust Pete and John with offensive selections nearly as much I do on the defensive side of the ball, and this guy conjures up memories of Christine Michael.

But we'll see. I agree with Zorny, the reason we stayed at #27 could be that a deal to move Earl is imminent.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:43 am

RiverDog wrote:I liked the fact that we traded down 9 spots and picked up a 3rd. But this was a need pick, which is what you do when you think you're a player or two away, and we've pretty much decided that we're in a rebuild mode. I don't trust Pete and John with offensive selections nearly as much I do on the defensive side of the ball, and this guy conjures up memories of Christine Michael.

But we'll see. I agree with Zorny, the reason we stayed at #27 could be that a deal to move Earl is imminent.

Interesting... what about him conjures up memories of Michael? I see them as opposites in a lot of ways. Michael was an athletic freak (over 152 SPARQ score) whose on field production never lived up to his athletic profile. In college he never had more than 800 yards rushing or 900 yards from scrimmage and had injury concerns and big character concerns . Penny is similar in size and speed but not as explosive as Michael. Against lesser competition he rushed for over 1,000 yards as a junior and over 2,000 as a senior to go along with multiple return TDs without any real medical concerns or character issues I don’t worry about him being CM 2.0.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:50 am

RiverDog wrote:I liked the fact that we traded down 9 spots and picked up a 3rd. But this was a need pick, which is what you do when you think you're a player or two away, and we've pretty much decided that we're in a rebuild mode. I don't trust Pete and John with offensive selections nearly as much I do on the defensive side of the ball, and this guy conjures up memories of Christine Michael.

I can guarantee you that Penny is no Michel, Riv. Penny is respectful, diligent and smart. Time will tell on him but I've watched this kid play the last 3 or more years as he played against my BSU team. He's another Doug Martin (Muscle Hamster) type of runner. I think he's going to make the oline better, too because he reads blocks like no one I've seen lately. His jump cuts are wicked sometimes and he has speed. Add in that he catches the ball well and he's going to be a nightmare for a number of teams to have to game plan.

Of course all this depends on the game plans and schemes we run with him. If our new OC and Oline coach don't get it right, it won't matter who we have running the ball.

I wanted us to get Penny but didn't think we had a shot at him since he was projected high and we had no 2nd or 3rd rounder. I'm glad we got him and if we reached for him, it was only a handful of spots as I had him early 2nd round.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby ptthor109 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:58 am

SDSU fan here and, of course, I am biased but I think the Seahawk fans are going to love having Penney. He has strong legs, is big enough, is fast, hard to tackle, great patience on the hole, durable, good receiver, great returner and best of all, his attitude is unmatched. Also, I think the Seahawks just picked up a San Diego fan base that was looking for a new NFL team to support. I say good move.
ptthor109
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:21 am

Here's what the Mountain West Conference knows about Penny. Great article about Penny's intelligence, power and elusiveness.

Reading about the yards after contact being better than Saquon Barkely's and that he's never missed a game in his career speaks volumes. I am so stoked on this kid being here.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/columnists/bryce-miller/sd-sp-miller-rashaad-penny-aztecs-draft-20180422-story.html
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:46 am

ptthor109 wrote:SDSU fan here and, of course, I am biased but I think the Seahawk fans are going to love having Penney. He has strong legs, is big enough, is fast, hard to tackle, great patience on the hole, durable, good receiver, great returner and best of all, his attitude is unmatched. Also, I think the Seahawks just picked up a San Diego fan base that was looking for a new NFL team to support. I say good move.

Welcome to the board, ptthor109. Good to have you on board.
I liked him early because of his versatility, but was moved towards more of a hammer at RB with players like Chubb and maybe later Scarborough, however in finding out more about Penny, he looks like he
might be a pretty good fit. In watching some of his film, he looks to me like he has some similarities with last years picks Kamara and Dalvin Cook. Each RB is different of course but there were some flashes
that I thought of one of those guys. The issue up here is if the OC can find ways to get him into space where he can get some chunk yardage but he might be a good start at reviving the Seahawks running game.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:49 am

At least we won't have Bevell to use him for something he is not. Bevell would make him into his bubble screen catcher LOL!!!

BTW Bevell is still on the unemployment rolls
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby trents » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:09 am

At 5'11" and 220 lbs. (https://www.nfl.com/prospects/rashaad-p ... 8b2759ec0c), unless those numbers are exaggerated, he's as big as Marshawn Lynch (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4186/marshawn-lynch).
trents
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:35 am

trents wrote:At 5'11" and 220 lbs. (https://www.nfl.com/prospects/rashaad-p ... 8b2759ec0c), unless those numbers are exaggerated, he's as big as Marshawn Lynch (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4186/marshawn-lynch).

Pete and John have a particular size and power range for their RB's. Speed isn't as much a factor, but quickness and explosion (vertical/long jumps) seem to be.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:45 am

I'd pump the brakes an all the Lynch comparisons just yet. 13 reps on the bench is pretty slight. Beast put on a lot of muscle as a pro and Penny may as well, but not everyone can and still maintain their quicks. I like the way he keeps his legs churning after contact like Lynch but his gait isn't as wide and he runs more upright. He's a shade faster though and excels at special teams (they say the best among this years backs) but i also read that he needs to improve his pass pro, something Beast was a beast at.

If we were going RB in the first i wanted Guice, but I'll trust Pete and Jon on Penny, they identified Marshawn as the guy that was capable of carrying our offense, I'm anxious to see how they build around Rashaad.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:58 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I'd pump the brakes an all the Lynch comparisons just yet. 13 reps on the bench is pretty slight. Beast put on a lot of muscle as a pro and Penny may as well, but not everyone can and still maintain their quicks. I like the way he keeps his legs churning after contact like Lynch but his gait isn't as wide and he runs more upright. He's a shade faster though and excels at special teams (they say the best among this years backs) but i also read that he needs to improve his pass pro, something Beast was a beast at.

If we were going RB in the first i wanted Guice, but I'll trust Pete and Jon on Penny, they identified Marshawn as the guy that was capable of carrying our offense, I'm anxious to see how they build around Rashaad.

Schneider said yesterday that another team called and asked if they wanted to trade him after the selection, so at least another team thought he was a valuable pick at that point.
It doesn't mean both teams aren't wrong, though and the OL still has to be productive for him to succeed, but at least it looks like a start for re-charging the run game.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby trents » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:07 am

I wasn't intending to compare Penny with Lynch except in the height and weight category. People are saying Penny has a lot leg strength which I would think is more important for a running back rather than what he can bench. Same thing with Prosies and Pete/John really liked that guy's potential. Hopefully, Penny can stay on the field more than Prosies.
trents
Legacy

Postby ptthor109 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:22 am

Welcome to the board, ptthor109. Good to have you on board.
I liked him early because of his versatility, but was moved towards more of a hammer at RB with players like Chubb and maybe later Scarborough, however in finding out more about Penny, he looks like he
might be a pretty good fit. In watching some of his film, he looks to me like he has some similarities with last years picks Kamara and Dalvin Cook. Each RB is different of course but there were some flashes
that I thought of one of those guys. The issue up here is if the OC can find ways to get him into space where he can get some chunk yardage but he might be a good start at reviving the Seahawks running game.

The negative comments about Penney, if any besides not having had to pass block in college, was his level of competition. Of course we saw him go against the likes of Stanford and ASU and he did as good or better than any star their defenses faced. And the Seahawk GM noted how he tore it up at the Senior Bowl against others players who were playing for their life - effectively. So there is nothing to that argument regarding competition level.

Please note that SDSU did not have a passing attack to speak of and the defenses they faced were not afraid of it. They stacked the box against Penney with 8 or 9 guys keying on him alone. No options to fool the LBs, just here he comes. They were blitzing the running back vs SDSU, not the QB. Draws were worthless. And he still led the nation in rushing.

In the Pros, receivers are too fast and the passing games to dangerous to stack the box for one guy save for goal line, 4th down, etc. With just some added separation and one or two steps, Penney will be lethal.
ptthor109
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:37 am

trents wrote:I wasn't intending to compare Penny with Lynch except in the height and weight category. People are saying Penny has a lot leg strength which I would think is more important for a running back rather than what he can bench. Same thing with Prosies and Pete/John really liked that guy's potential. Hopefully, Penny can stay on the field more than Prosies.

The Bench Press doesn't really relate to Football like the running drills. He was lifting his body weight or thereabouts, but as long as he doesn't fumble, he could work out fine here.
Besides, if it is an issue, a few months with the strength coach and he could improve to a better level. It's not like trying to teach vision or speed. It's a solvable problem if it even is one.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:40 am

Penny was the second best back on the board, I have no problem with him per sea, the problem is its a luxury pick. Its going out and having steak, when you need a bag of potatoes. We need Offensive lineman!! Who is going to block for him??
obiken
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:44 am

NorthHawk wrote:The Bench Press doesn't really relate to Football like the running drills.

Not true.

More true if you're saying it doesn't apply to skill positions perhaps, but as a blanket statement about how it relates to football, it's just not true .... Linemen are football players too.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:50 am

mykc14 wrote:Interesting... what about him conjures up memories of Michael? I see them as opposites in a lot of ways. Michael was an athletic freak (over 152 SPARQ score) whose on field production never lived up to his athletic profile. In college he never had more than 800 yards rushing or 900 yards from scrimmage and had injury concerns and big character concerns . Penny is similar in size and speed but not as explosive as Michael. Against lesser competition he rushed for over 1,000 yards as a junior and over 2,000 as a senior to go along with multiple return TDs without any real medical concerns or character issues I don’t worry about him being CM 2.0.

This is how I see it too. He's been highly productive against lower level competition. He's from a small school and was still 5th in Heisman voting because his production was so good. He's what I call a good football player rather than a athletic freak that Pete thinks he can turn into a football player.

I don't know if the kid will make it against NFL level competition. I do know he's the type of runner we've grown to like here. He plays the game right. He has a bunch of long runs for TDs as a RB and Kick returner because he can kick up a gear once he gets by the line.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:55 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I'd pump the brakes an all the Lynch comparisons just yet. 13 reps on the bench is pretty slight. Beast put on a lot of muscle as a pro and Penny may as well, but not everyone can and still maintain their quicks. I like the way he keeps his legs churning after contact like Lynch but his gait isn't as wide and he runs more upright. He's a shade faster though and excels at special teams (they say the best among this years backs) but i also read that he needs to improve his pass pro, something Beast was a beast at.

There isn't another Beast in the league right now. He was a throwback in mind and body to an older football period. I doubt we'll see a Beast in Seattle in our lifetime again. He was once in a franchise player.

That being said Penny looks like a good runner. I hope he's ready for the brutality of the NFL. For RBs that's the biggest change coming from a small school. He'll see players bigger, faster, and stronger on defense looking to murder him and punish him like he's never seen. That's where you find out how tough and committed you really are to playing RB in the NFL, the hardest physical position in the league.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:53 pm

Not true.

More true if you're saying it doesn't apply to skill positions perhaps, but as a blanket statement about how it relates to football, it's just not true .... Linemen are football players too.

It doesn't not really apply to linemen, either because it's not a test of strength and there is a variation of body weight.
If it was how much could they lift in one explosive move, then it might mean something, but with the weight being 225 lbs for all, it just turns into a test of endurance and not strength.
And playing football is a series of explosions with at least 40 seconds between plays, so the test isn't that relevant unless the player can't even do one rep.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:08 pm

If you honestly think bench press is not a valid and valuable evaluation tool for NFL linemen I don't know how to respond. Couldn't possibly disagree with you more.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:50 pm

mykc14 wrote:Interesting... what about him conjures up memories of Michael? I see them as opposites in a lot of ways. Michael was an athletic freak (over 152 SPARQ score) whose on field production never lived up to his athletic profile. In college he never had more than 800 yards rushing or 900 yards from scrimmage and had injury concerns and big character concerns . Penny is similar in size and speed but not as explosive as Michael. Against lesser competition he rushed for over 1,000 yards as a junior and over 2,000 as a senior to go along with multiple return TDs without any real medical concerns or character issues I don’t worry about him being CM 2.0.

Because he's a reach. There was at least two and as many as five higher ranked RB's on the board at the time we selected. There was some concern expressed at the Senior Bowl that Penny was a little slow to learn a new offense, and that definetly conjures up memories of CM.

I sure hope he's worth it. I was expecting us to trade down again out of the first round, and since the Eagles were able to trade out of their #32 pick, you would assume that there were opportunities for us to get out of #27 and accumulate some more bodies.

But we'll see. I don't want to start talking negative about this pick. I just don't trust this regime when it comes to their judgment of offensive talent, and when they make a reach like this, it causes a shiver to run up my spine.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:18 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:If you honestly think bench press is not a valid and valuable evaluation tool for NFL linemen I don't know how to respond. Couldn't possibly disagree with you more.

Right CB, bench and squats are the measure of strength for an OLineman. Its footwork however, that separates the Walter Jones' and Joe Thomas's of the world.
obiken
Legacy

Postby trents » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:25 pm

Wow! Just learned that Nick Chubb was taken in the 2nd round by the Browns. Kind of surprised that the Hawks didn't go for him before Penny. Chubb is a Beast type running back.
trents
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:38 pm

trents wrote:Wow! Just learned that Nick Chubb was taken in the 2nd round by the Browns. Kind of surprised that the Hawks didn't go for him before Penny. Chubb is a Beast type running back.

Same type T, but you have to have blocking for either one.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:10 pm

All right PT109 ! You know about SDST FB and you were right on time with the low down on Penny. Glad you are here and glad to know Penny is a good pick.

BTW; Does Penny already have a nick name? Because, we CAN give him a nick name LOL!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby ptthor109 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:26 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:All right PT109 ! You know about SDST FB and you were right on time with the low down on Penny. Glad you are here and glad to know Penny is a good pick.

BTW; Does Penny already have a nick name? Because, we CAN give him a nick name LOL!

Haha. You know, Rashaad was so unassuming, I don't think he maintained any sort of nickname that I can recall. Fire away!
ptthor109
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum