MNF BILLS @ SEAHAWKS

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: MNF BILLS @ SEAHAWKS

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:59 pm

Hawkstar wrote:The first guy isn't making the tackle tonight. Way to many yards after contact.

Too true, not wrapping up.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Oly » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:02 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Too true, not wrapping up.

It's been a long time since I've seen the defense play with fundamentals this bad. Yeah, the Bills have some shifty ballcarriers, but you're right that there is some bad tackling right now.
Oly
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:20 pm

bad challenge
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:29 pm

Hurry Back Bennett!!

Close it out RW. 2 first downs
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:29 pm

Now let's see if we can eat some clock
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Oly » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:33 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Now let's see if we can eat some clock

Chucky called it; there is no confidence in the running game, and for good reason. It's amazing to see how far that running game has fallen since just a couple of years ago.
Oly
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:35 pm

FFS
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:35 pm

F this team.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:36 pm

Lamest offensive series since XLIX
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:37 pm

New kid playin alright
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:40 pm

There's our defense!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:41 pm

On the other hand ...
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:44 pm

The officials have pulled out all of the stops to help the Bills win this game.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:45 pm

I mean, the Bills defense throw RW to the ground after every throw, how many flags have the officials thrown for that???
Last edited by Seahawks4Ever on Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:47 pm

Earl Thomas closes out the Bills!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:49 pm

MVP's: Wags and Jimmy!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:55 pm

I didn't love the PC timeout calls - then letting the clock run on 4th down. Don't get it.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby Oly » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:17 pm

Hawkstar wrote:I didn't love the PC timeout calls - then letting the clock run on 4th down. Don't get it.

I recall thinking that but seeing the on-screen graphic showing no timeouts. He lost one on the stupid challenge, then called the remaining 2 on 1st and 2nd downs.
Oly
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:19 pm

I think he called the TO's to give the defense time to rest and regroup. They looked far better on the last 4 plays than the first few plays on that drive.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:00 pm

And now we get Richard Sherman Night on social media...

RE: the FG try- watch it again if you think he cheap shot the kicker. He had a hand on the ball going in- not sure if that counts as potentially "tipping" it (when contact would be allowed), but getting there with no whistle PLUS that, it's not as obviously roughing as I thought.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:30 pm

But we let Tyrod fcking Taylor throw for almost 300 yards on 71% passing. A QB who was in the 50% completion neighborhood gashed us.

Brady is going to have a fcking heyday without Kam or Bennett.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:11 am

we'd have trouble winning next week even with all 22. Monday Night game on the West Coast, short week, fly across the country and play the best team in football. You're expecting too much if you think the NFL didn't plan this upcoming night for us. Oh, and the Pat's are coming off their bye week, too.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:47 am

Take 'em as they come.

We caught a break, yes, and...it goes both ways for every team. I do think that, overall, we've received more than taken away from us, at least as far as the regular season is concerned:)

We're not where we want to be yet, but we finally saw some offensive rhythm and flow, especially in the 1st half. To add only 3 to that in the last two quarters...eh, we need to do better there in closing this kind of game out sooner.

Still, we are right in the thick of it. Many teams around the league have issues. The character and resolve the Seahawks possess allows them to work through it, while others let their struggles dictate their attitude. GB & Minny in particular are in interesting territory. The Packers look as if McCarthy's message and motivation have run their course. Rodgers is still plenty good, but his timing in calling out others for their performances is peculiar.

The Vikings losing Norv is having an acute negative effect on that entire team. I'm not sure if they have the wherewithal to work through what's clearly a distraction. Bradford is in uncharted waters, since he's never been called upon to rally a team that is still very much in the playoff hunt.

We're in a good spot, folks. We are a 2nd half regular season team. RW looks better, and we're reminded - though we shouldn't have to be - that Graham is one heck of an offensive weapon, as long as we remember to keep him involved.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:31 am

Have to balance that TOP... For two weeks Seattle offense absolutely dragged that defense down forcing them to play insane minutes. Finally, the offense contributes, and the defense can't get off the field, creating an obscene amount of disparity.....

Would it be so bad for BOTH sides of the ball to play, and let us enjoy a fourth quarter for a change?

Sat near the top of the Hawks nest, which was a GREAT view, fun to watch the game unfold from above...

Grades.

Offense overall : B

Line : B-

Pass protection overall solid, against continuous blitzes, and against the number one pass rush, they in general protected Wilson well as evidenced by 8 pressures and 4 sacks ( 2 of which had to do with leaving a clean pocket and running into an edge rusher). The run blocking was poor, then again it will always be poor when attempting to block 8 with 5 or 6. Just isn't conducive to success. Fant for playing his second game was unbelievably good against the top sack man in the league this season.

Passing : A-

Everything we THOUGHT we would get game 1. Wilson was accurate ( 20 of 26) and more often than not decisive and sharp.

Running game : D-

Against an 8 man front odds are you're not going to be real successful, that said even in the rare occasion they caught Buffalo in a six man box, the couldn't find room. Both Micheal and Prosise constantly found little running room and constantly tried to find the outside, which obviously wasn't a good idea. They tended not to lower their shoulder and plow for yards, instead waiting for holes, that never materialized.

Defence : D+

Pass rush : A

Constant pressure ( FAR more than Buffalo provided all night) 5 sacks against a big, physical talented line, with an insanely mobile QB isn't anything to dismiss, especially down a key cog, and acknowledging the amount of times there were holding calls ignored. Avril literally could have had 6 or 7 sacks without the grabbing it tackling by Buffalo's line.

Coverage : D-

Sherman's gift pick is literally the ONLY thing keeping this from an F. The ENTIRE defense from Richard on down should be embarrassed by the softness of their zones, and inability to cover pretty much the walking wounded if Buffalo. It was bad, maybe the worst game I've seen from them collectively, ever.

Tackling : D

Again, a shocking failure to secure tackles ran amok across the board. From Wagner, to Sherman to Thomas, McCray, shead, Kj and Coyle.... It got so bad that literally all of us were Joking about them being covered in Crisco ( sort of)... Perhaps the worst I've ever seen this team play in this regard since Carroll arrived.

Special Teams: B

Ultimately one of the few bright spots ( well after the second ST play of the game) nice returns, and coverage was awesome. That said, the blocked punt was bad zones like really stupid bad.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:01 am

Nice read. Yes I'm sick of heart attack specials week after week. And yes the defense is dreadful. Kam and Bennet want paid. Maybe they deserve it. At one point the Hawks surrendered scores on 9 consecutive drives between last game and this. They are beat up and tired. And it wont get easier. But the Russ to Graham connection was sweet. Graham vs Gronk should be interesting...

Its a thrilling win whining about Shermans uncalled penalty notwithstanding. Did they see last weeks game?
Good lord there is something to complain about though. The officiating in this league is dreadful. They need to clean house.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:36 am

My thought on the D was maybe they were on a short leash last night except when it counted. They have been abused by TOP over last 3 games and need rest. Maybe they can rest against NE next week. But would be nice to see a game again where the offense burns time by running, scores every quarter and the D holds the other team to nothing. 28-0 or something like that. No instead its a fire drill at the very end of most games.
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:06 am

I think last night showed how important Mike B. is to the Defense. There was often no pressure up the middle by the front 4 when it counted and not much disruption of run plays that Bennett often causes. That lack of consistent pass rush meant more problems for the secondary.

This game was a turnaround. The Offense played well enough to win and the Defense almost didn't.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:39 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I think last night showed how important Mike B. is to the Defense. There was often no pressure up the middle by the front 4 when it counted and not much disruption of run plays that Bennett often causes. That lack of consistent pass rush meant more problems for the secondary.

This game was a turnaround. The Offense played well enough to win and the Defense almost didn't.

I wasn't able to watch the game but we were lucky to win. They beat us in every category except the scoreboard. 33 yards rushing to 163?? Really guys WTF happened???!!
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:21 pm

It seems to me they need a bigger RT to get the running game going and that was probably the intention with signing Webb, but that hasn't worked out. Gilliam looks to be struggling in both pass protection and run blocking which is strange as most teams learn to run block quicker than pass block and he did fairly well last year. Maybe he's lost a little confidence.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:12 pm

I can't agree with lucky. It was troubling to see the run game struggle yet again, but luck had nothing to do with Wilson returning to form and Graham absolutely dominating. The T.O.P. battle was lost for a 3rd week in a row, yet the defense came up with the stop when needed. A lot of hand-wringing has occurred over Sherman not being penalized, but Buffalo got away with plenty of holding against the pass rush.

I get the frustration, I really do, but Seattle didn't need bounces to go their way or gifted turnovers or any other luck to win.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:45 pm

My wild & meandering observations - we should PAY Mike B and Kam as we just are not the same without them. I realize every team has injuries...including the bills at WR, but DAYUM.

Things I loved seeing: Fant pass block (they may really be on to something), Graham (and Baldwin) - Effin WOW, a healthier Wilson (75% + accuracy + a lil more movement), the final stop (WHEW...I nearly S*** a kitten).

Things that I hated seeing: the yards Buffalo racked on our boys AT HOME, T.O.P. is a still a big problem, missed tackles, not being able to get off the field on 3 and 21???? WTF?, run blocking sucked, C-Mike is not the answer either, the impact of the lack of a run game (TOP + not being able to grind one out in the damned 4th) & my least fave - the call/no call on Sherm - the lack of hankies for blatant offensive holding was ridiculous but all anyone will see/remember is the loud mouthed Sherman getting away with one again. I HATE THAT. I wish their stupid kicker would have made it and we would have won anyway.... but a W is a W.

Things I need to see: Rawls, Bennett, Kam (I think lane gets better the second Bam Bam gets back), improvement in run blocking, & an even healthier Wilson. I think we lose to the Pats next week and then we don't lose again all season. (yes....I've amended my picks.)

GO HAWKS
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:28 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:My wild & meandering observations - we should PAY Mike B and Kam as we just are not the same without them. I realize every team has injuries...including the bills at WR, but DAYUM.

Things I loved seeing: Fant pass block (they may really be on to something), Graham (and Baldwin) - Effin WOW, a healthier Wilson (75% + accuracy + a lil more movement), the final stop (WHEW...I nearly S*** a kitten).

Things that I hated seeing: the yards Buffalo racked on our boys AT HOME, T.O.P. is a still a big problem, missed tackles, not being able to get off the field on 3 and 21???? WTF?, run blocking sucked, C-Mike is not the answer either, the impact of the lack of a run game (TOP + not being able to grind one out in the damned 4th) & my least fave - the call/no call on Sherm - the lack of hankies for blatant offensive holding was ridiculous but all anyone will see/remember is the loud mouthed Sherman getting away with one again. I HATE THAT. I wish their stupid kicker would have made it and we would have won anyway.... but a W is a W.

Things I need to see: Rawls, Bennett, Kam (I think lane gets better the second Bam Bam gets back), improvement in run blocking, & an even healthier Wilson. I think we lose to the Pats next week and then we don't lose again all season. (yes....I've amended my picks.)

GO HAWKS

I agree 100% HS, I think our season hinges on how recovered Rawls is. CM is ok but just ok.
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:56 pm

I wonder if Rawls is injury prone. I hope not, but he's missed more games than he's played.
We need him to get the run game rolling.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:25 am

NorthHawk wrote:I wonder if Rawls is injury prone. I hope not, but he's missed more games than he's played.
We need him to get the run game rolling.

The problem with the running game isn't limited to just the guy packing the rock. There are two other big differences between this year's team and past years when we were in the top 5 in the league at running the ball:

1. Russell Wilson is injured and no longer a threat that teams have to respect. Until he gets healthy and starts making plays like he did Monday with that naked bootleg TD run, we are going to struggle no matter who's carrying the mail.

2. The offensive line, while marginally better at pass protection, is far worse as a run blockers than past OL's. They just don't get any push.

I don't see either of these two conditions changing. But that doesn't mean we can't win as currently configured. The message should be that even with virtually no running game, we still scored 31 points and won the game. If we are to continue to have success, we have to be able to move the ball via the short passing game taking advantage of favorable matchups, ie Jimmy Graham, not turn the ball over, and score touchdowns vs. field goals when we get into the red zone like we did Monday: 4 trips to the red zone, 4 TD's.

But the defense has to improve. IMO New England is going to smoke us, perhaps put an end to our streak of not losing a game by more than 10 points. We need Michael Bennett back in the lineup if we are to have any success against top tier teams like New England.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:26 am

Was going to post something about the pass protection, but what's the point? Anyone claiming being top ten in sacks allowed with a less mobile QB, coming off a game against the number one pass rush in the NFL, when the team couldn't ( or wouldn't) run the ball, and scored over thirty points primarily through the air compared to last season when they ranked 31st at this point is "marginally" better, simply has made up their mind and refuse to see what is actually occurring.

( I guess I said most of it anyway, sue me).
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:11 am

Like others, I'm less worried about our offense than our defense right now.

The O seems to be following the pattern I expected (slowly rounding into form, with Rawls' return imminent), but the D seems to be regressing.

I know it's easy to put too much weight on what you've seen most recently, but geez it's hard to see New England having much trouble scoring when I just watched Buffalo rack up 150 yards more than we did with over 400 yards of offense.

Taylor is better than advertised, but he's no Brady.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:02 am

The New England game would be a tough call with Bennett, of whom I've always felt that he...not Sherman, Thomas, or Wagner...is our defensive MVP, in the lineup. But after watching our performance Monday, I'm afraid that we'll lose by more than two scores for the first time in eons.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:20 am

NE isnt smoking us. Seattle can go in there and win.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:52 am

Hawktawk wrote:NE isnt smoking us. Seattle can go in there and win.

No, not to sound faithless but they are going to actually smoke us. They are a WAAAAAY better football team than we are right now. We win this game and we could run the table. I just hope we don't get hurt.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:49 am

Hawktawk wrote:NE isnt smoking us. Seattle can go in there and win.

I like your attitude. I'm going to steal some of your faith if you don't mid.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks Forum