Super Bowl LVII

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Super Bowl LVII

Postby obiken » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:17 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:It is clearly a problem. Saints vs Rams divisional round, Rams vs Bengals Super Bowl, Chiefs vs Bengals AFCCG, Chiefs vs Eagles Super Bowl. All the losing teams had the opportunity to play well enough to win despite the inconsistent officiating, that's true, but that doesn't mean the issue isn't valid. On the flip side, why didn't the winners play well enough to not need the call/no call to go in their favor?
The refs need to be consistent throughout the game with what they call and don't call.

No doubt MSIMH, but HT was saying the refs cost them the game, that is bunk. Its the like the Eagle defense had no answer on after 2 weeks to prep. Here's my issue with the Chiefs, WHY do they not 2X cover Kelsey on 3rd and 5's or longer!! Its getting to be ridiculous, how many times the guy goes to him and no one does anything!! They need to crack him in the chops, as Brady said, why is it the defenses responsibility for the safety of an offensive player!
obiken
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:04 pm

obiken wrote:No doubt MSIMH, but HT was saying the refs cost them the game, that is bunk. Its the like the Eagle defense had no answer on after 2 weeks to prep. Here's my issue with the Chiefs, WHY do they not 2X cover Kelsey on 3rd and 5's or longer!! Its getting to be ridiculous, how many times the guy goes to him and no one does anything!! They need to crack him in the chops, as Brady said, why is it the defenses responsibility for the safety of an offensive player!

Exactly. You think Kam Chancellor would have let Kelce run free like that? Hell no. He would have felt pain every catch Kam could inflict it on him. Kam would have never let Kelce run free or unopposed. He would have set up to level that dude.

Eagles were all yelling and pointing fingers like they didn't know who was supposed to cover him.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:55 pm

The game was mostly enjoyable, although I hated the ending. Did chores during the half time (remodeled the bathroom, rotated my tires and installed a new transmission and still saw the end of the show before the 2d half), and endured some awful commercials. There was some great tight end play, and both offensive lines were impressive. Not a lot of penalties, although the one was pretty bad. Over all not a bad game.

One major complaint: The Seahawks were not playing.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:20 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Yep. Legion of Boom were great at handing off coverage. You rarely saw that many breaks.

It is bittersweet to know how good we had it; loved and lost sort of thing. You're definitely right; the LOB would have been prepared and have placed Kam in position to punish those Kelce crossers. I would think it is not a secret that 1. they like to throw to Kelce and 2. they like him to run crossing routes.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:27 pm

Old but Slow wrote:The game was mostly enjoyable, although I hated the ending. Did chores during the half time (remodeled the bathroom, rotated my tires and installed a new transmission and still saw the end of the show before the 2d half), and endured some awful commercials. There was some great tight end play, and both offensive lines were impressive. Not a lot of penalties, although the one was pretty bad. Over all not a bad game.

One major complaint: The Seahawks were not playing.

Is that all you were able to get done at halftime? You must be slowing down, living up to your ObS handle. :D

I watched the first quarter with my wife, the 2nd quarter from my treadmill, and at halftime, I showered then drove over to my best friend's place to watch the 2nd half. He hates commercials so he'll wait for an hour or so before he starts watching so he can fast forward through the commercials. I'm a little more traditional when it comes to football.

I agree about the tight ends. The last few games I've watched the Eagles, that's the one player who has really stood out, Dallas Goedart.

The Eagles defense disappointed me. I'm like Obi. I don't know how in the hell they can leave Travis Kelce so wide open. He's the heart of their offense, might go down in history as the most prolific receiving tight end, and it seemed as if he had walked off the sidelines and into the secondary after the play had started.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:15 pm

Yeah, I would be pretty upset at their defense if I was a Philly fan. It’s ironic/fitting that their D coordinator, Gannon, is likely the next head coach of the Cardinals. Sure, bring him to our division!
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:42 pm

Andy Reid just gave a master class in how to nullify the Eagles Defense.
He had the game plan that showed how the Eagles would react to different plays, then countered that scheme
by causing confusion or putting a defender in a no win position of having to cover 2 players. He was at the top
of his game as a play caller and had the perfect QB to pull it off. I would expect that we will see some other
innovations next year even if they don’t make it back to the Super Bowl.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:28 am

NorthHawk wrote:Andy Reid just gave a master class in how to nullify the Eagles Defense.
He had the game plan that showed how the Eagles would react to different plays, then countered that scheme
by causing confusion or putting a defender in a no win position of having to cover 2 players. He was at the top
of his game as a play caller and had the perfect QB to pull it off. I would expect that we will see some other

The field conditions might have had an effect on both defenses. The Chiefs registered just two sacks for a minus 2 yards (not really sacks on a running QB) and the Eagles didn't get home once, and they led the league with 70 sacks on the season, an average of over 4 per game. The Chiefs defense was 2nd to the Eagles in sacks in the regular season with 55, or over 3 per game. It's pretty hard for an edge rusher to get leverage if they can't plant their push off foot, not as critical to an offensive lineman trying to protect the QB.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:30 am

NorthHawk wrote:Andy Reid just gave a master class in how to nullify the Eagles Defense.

Belichick would have never allowed that. Their D-coordinator was weak. Carroll would not have allowed that if he had the talent to stop it. Not having a plan for Kelce was an egregiously bad plan by their D-coordinator and their defense.

Exactly why I prefer a defensive coach. You put Bill B in there with that defense, I doubt the Chiefs put up 20 points.

I can't stand watching crap defense in a game. And that was crap defense letting Kelce run free like that.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:33 am

RiverDog wrote:The field conditions might have had an effect on both defenses. The Chiefs registered just two sacks for a minus 2 yards (not really sacks on a running QB) and the Eagles didn't get home once, and they led the league with 70 sacks on the season, an average of over 4 per game. The Chiefs defense was 2nd to the Eagles in sacks in the regular season with 55, or over 3 per game. It's pretty hard for an edge rusher to get leverage if they can't plant their push off foot, not as critical to an offensive lineman trying to protect the QB.

What was up with that terrible field? How do you have a field like that in the Super Bowl? Really made the game kind of lame watching people slip.

Still, the Eagles defensive plan was so terrible. No blitzes. Bad coverage switches. No game plan for Kelce, their number one offensive weapon.

I think it was more a show of how weak the NFC teams are. Eagles were the best we can send and they were against a KC team that gave up 35 points.

This is exactly why I hope Carroll can get the D-line fix. Send a real defense against either of these teams with a defensive coach with talent, they will get clowned.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:56 am

RiverDog wrote:The field conditions might have had an effect on both defenses. The Chiefs registered just two sacks for a minus 2 yards (not really sacks on a running QB) and the Eagles didn't get home once, and they led the league with 70 sacks on the season, an average of over 4 per game. The Chiefs defense was 2nd to the Eagles in sacks in the regular season with 55, or over 3 per game. It's pretty hard for an edge rusher to get leverage if they can't plant their push off foot, not as critical to an offensive lineman trying to protect the QB.

Aseahawkfan wrote:What was up with that terrible field? How do you have a field like that in the Super Bowl? Really made the game kind of lame watching people slip.

Hawktawk and I had a bit of a debate about it earlier in the thread. For some reason, that field in Glendale has never been to NFL standards. It's the world's first retractable field as it sits on a giant, movable pallet that will slide outdoors. The field was brand new, specially grown for the event, and the experts were supremely confident that it was the best surface possible for a football game. I'm sure that it will be a prominent subject for the league as we head into the offseason.

Aseahawkfan wrote:Still, the Eagles defensive plan was so terrible. No blitzes. Bad coverage switches. No game plan for Kelce, their number one offensive weapon.

I think it was more a show of how weak the NFC teams are. Eagles were the best we can send and they were against a KC team that gave up 35 points.

I agree that there were more things wrong with the Eagles defense than the field conditions can explain, and to their credit, the Eagles have come out and said that they aren't using the poor playing surface as an excuse. But I do think that it was a factor that likely put the Eagles at more of a disadvantage than their opponent, and in a close game like that, could have been a factor that tipped the balance.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:30 am

The field conditions might have had an effect on both defenses. The Chiefs registered just two sacks for a minus 2 yards (not really sacks on a running QB) and the Eagles didn't get home once, and they led the league with 70 sacks on the season, an average of over 4 per game. The Chiefs defense was 2nd to the Eagles in sacks in the regular season with 55, or over 3 per game. It's pretty hard for an edge rusher to get leverage if they can't plant their push off foot, not as critical to an offensive lineman trying to protect the QB.[/quote]

The field was the biggest problem for both defenses . The eagles with over 70 sacks third most in history get none ?

It’s impossible to come off the edge or blow up the pocket if you can’t explode against larger men who only have to hold their ground . Speaking of holding it might be educational to analyze 60 minutes to see how much the celebrity ref let go . But a bad field negates a pass rush .
Like the fastest team in the league averaging 5 sack last 4 and leading the keagur in pressures got one pressure on an immobile qb who was taking g a season high 2.75 seconds to release the ball . Lousy field and the one killer fall was the game ending one . Terrible game . A great game is 60 minutes or more .it’s not 58 and kneel downs after a ref plays god again.

. Another masterpiece . Great work Goodell . You SUCK.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:15 am

Mahomes was getting the ball out quickly enough that the pass rush would be largely negated anyway. The play calling made the difference.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:45 am

From what I saw the complete mishandling of Kelce made the difference and a fumble TD by Hurts. Either one of those change, Chiefs lose.

I'd be looking for a new D-coordinator next year myself or secondary coach.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby govandals » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:49 am

My $0.02:
The hold call was ticky tack but by the letter of the law, it was the correct call. I haven't seen a camera angle from the back side of the play, I'd like to see if the db's right hand pulled some jersey. The hold didn't appear to impede the wr progress, so I'd let it go and not throw the flag. Did the flag cost Philly a SB? Of course not, but it did rob us of a potentially a greater ending to what was already a great game. If I'm a Philly fan of course I'm pissed, but I'd be more pissed at the second half defense.

Heck, Andy Ried deserves the MVP as much as Mahomes. lol Very creative playcalling once again.

At least now the narrative of you cannot win a SB with a QB making big bucks should die. I always thought that was a ridiculous argument.

And congrats to Carlos Dunlap, He seemed like a good dude when he was here.
govandals
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:58 am

Here's a youtube of NFL Live where they explain what was going on.
They discuss it twice once at around the 8:30 mark and again at around 23:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzqlqZP3B9E
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:07 am

There was a reason the teams were tied . Yeah Hurts made mistakes but he more then covered for them with a record breaking performance . There is no way to know what would have happened had the ref left the flag where it had been all night . Maybe Philly scored . Maybe they don’t . Maybe it’s an overtime thriller . We know and that ref knew when the flag went down it’s ballgame . Kind of like in 2019 they knew a flag would end the game and ate it even with a ref putting his hand on the flag on a tackle of a receiver . Pick a side . Which is it ?

It’s the Don Deckinger of oficiating only it’s 121 refs and whoever the thieves in New York on replay are .

And as for Reid he’s brilliant but he scored with a muddy field . I criticize Philly zero for not being able to pressure Mahomes . It’s ridiculous to say it would have been the same on a dry firm field .
I’m sick of it .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:56 am

I have no idea why the only vids and pictures you can find only show the left had on the back and say that wasn't holding, clearly it wasn't. It was a clear tug on the jersey with the right hand that preceded it that was the actual infraction.

Finally found a picture of it!:
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:04 am

govandals wrote:My $0.02:
The hold call was ticky tack but by the letter of the law, it was the correct call. I haven't seen a camera angle from the back side of the play, I'd like to see if the db's right hand pulled some jersey. The hold didn't appear to impede the wr progress, so I'd let it go and not throw the flag. Did the flag cost Philly a SB? Of course not, but it did rob us of a potentially a greater ending to what was already a great game. If I'm a Philly fan of course I'm pissed, but I'd be more pissed at the second half defense.

Heck, Andy Ried deserves the MVP as much as Mahomes. lol Very creative playcalling once again.

At least now the narrative of you cannot win a SB with a QB making big bucks should die. I always thought that was a ridiculous argument.

And congrats to Carlos Dunlap, He seemed like a good dude when he was here.

The hold was ticky tack, something that I wish they would have picked up the flag on, and it was one of the factors that tipped the balance to KC. But there were a ton of other factors as well. I'm not sure what the percentage is, but as a rule, the team that wins the turnover battle wins the game, and that Hurts fumble that resulted in a scoop and score can't be understated.

Agreed about Reid. The Eagles definitely got out coached, something you'd expect when a veteran future HOF coach is matched up against a virtual rookie. If I were to pick another factor, it was the difference in coaching, both offensively and defensively, that contributed to the outcome.

All in all, it was a very good game, not unlike last year's game. For some reason, this century's Super Bowls have been a lot more competitive and fun to watch. Commercials thumbs down, halftime show thumbs down, but the important thing, the game itself, was a big fist pump. IMO those were the best two teams in the league.

Both teams had a fantastic season. Not too many picked the Eagles to have the year they had.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:25 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Finally found a picture of it!:

Thanks, Cbob!

As govandals said and as your picture shows, it definitely was a hold, but when you view it in real time, it wasn't that egregious and didn't affect the receiver's route. But in defense of the ref, if they see the jersey come away from the player as your picture shows, it's likely going to draw a flag. Tough break for the Eagles, but they only have themselves to blame.

In any case, it pretty much defeats Hawktawk's predictable rant about the officiating.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:59 am

Once again you run your mouth and call me out in that third person when probably 90% of fans and a majority of analysts agree with me . Jason Whitlock who is from KC and a huge fan overjoyed with the win thought it was an awful call , ruined a great game on a ball 20 yards overthrown . If he’s with me you’re on the outs buddy .

Posting a blown up still shot that’s a blip of a quarter second in real time proves nothing and misses the point . Technically . Yeah…..barely .but HOW WAS THE GAME BEING CALLED for 58 minutes ?????

I’d bet I can find you offensive linemen holding ( damn curious between 130 plus sacks Between the defenses not one in the big game . I know I saw receivers redirected which didn’t happen on the last celebrity flag toss .

Your wrong river . Minority opinion .
And stop your 3rd person pot shots . Say it to me not others .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:51 pm

RiverDog wrote:In any case, it pretty much defeats Hawktawk's predictable rant about the officiating.

Not in the least. They probably could have called other DPI/DH but didn't for 58 minutes; ticky-tack penalties by nature could be called regularly. That's issue many have with it. Not that it wasn't a hold. Not that the Eagles didn't do enough with the chances they had.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:42 pm

RiverDog wrote:In any case, it pretty much defeats Hawktawk's predictable rant about the officiating.

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:Not in the least. They probably could have called other DPI/DH but didn't for 58 minutes; ticky-tack penalties by nature could be called regularly. That's issue many have with it. Not that it wasn't a hold. Not that the Eagles didn't do enough with the chances they had.

Sort of like the argument about being given a speeding ticket for doing 55mph in a 45mph speed zone: But officer! Someone just passed me doing 10mph faster than I was!

I have zero sympathy for the Eagles on that one. Their DB was holding and he got caught. The fact that there were other holds that didn't get caught doesn't mean the ref shouldn't have thrown the flag on that play. To be honest, I don't think it should have been called, either, but anytime a DB grabs a receiver's jersey and causes it to stretch, it's a big attention getter. It's pretty hard to blame the ref for throwing the flag when he sees the DB with a handful of jersey.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:07 pm

That picture changes my mind. Judging from the viewing angles, the judge near the goal line would have seen it clearly, even though it was not easy to see from anywhere else. A good call. Unfortunate, but justified.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:13 pm

RiverDog wrote:Sort of like the argument about being given a speeding ticket for doing 55mph in a 45mph speed zone: But officer! Someone just passed me doing 10mph faster than I was!

I have zero sympathy for the Eagles on that one. Their DB was holding and he got caught. The fact that there were other holds that didn't get caught doesn't mean the ref shouldn't have thrown the flag on that play. To be honest, I don't think it should have been called, either, but anytime a DB grabs a receiver's jersey and causes it to stretch, it's a big attention getter. It's pretty hard to blame the ref for throwing the flag when he sees the DB with a handful of jersey.

I have zero sympathy because Jalen Hurts gave up a fumble 6 and the Eagles secondary lost Kelce so many times that he might as well have been no name player number 10 on the Chiefs. Their defensive game plan was weak and they paid the price for not being able to handle Kelce.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:10 pm

RiverDog wrote:Sort of like the argument about being given a speeding ticket for doing 55mph in a 45mph speed zone: But officer! Someone just passed me doing 10mph faster than I was!

Aseahawkfan wrote:I have zero sympathy because Jalen Hurts gave up a fumble 6 and the Eagles secondary lost Kelce so many times that he might as well have been no name player number 10 on the Chiefs. Their defensive game plan was weak and they paid the price for not being able to handle Kelce.

Kelce was definitely a significant factor, but you might be assigning a little more credit to him than he deserves. He had 6 catches for 81 yards and a TD scored in the first quarter, a good day for sure but far from an eye popping, clutch MVP-type performance like Cooper Kupp had last year. The Eagles had 2 receivers with Kelce-like numbers, AJ Brown with 6 catches for 96 yards and a TD and DeVonta Smith had 7 catches for 100 yards.

The Eagles 2nd half defense definitely hurt them, giving up 24 points in 30 minutes, and Hurts unforced fumble/scoop and score was the difference in the game. The Eagles literally spotted the Chiefs 7 free points they didn't have to work for.

In any event, we're agreed that the Eagles are in no position to complain about the officiating. If I'm an Eagles fan, there'd be a tear in my beer about the refs, particularly that last holding penalty, but at the end of the day, it wasn't as poorly officiated as some are making it out to be.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:20 pm

Old but Slow wrote:That picture changes my mind. Judging from the viewing angles, the judge near the goal line would have seen it clearly, even though it was not easy to see from anywhere else. A good call. Unfortunate, but justified.

Yeah, but you have to look at the play in real time. Sure, technically it was a hold, but it didn't affect the receiver's route at all and wasn't what caused the pass to be incomplete. If I had my druthers, I would have preferred that penalty not be called. As others have pointed out, there wasn't very many penalties on either team so there was likely a lot like that one that they were letting go, and I hate to see such a ticky tack one like that called in such a critical situation as that one was.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:52 pm

Very similar to that. And LEO are just as questionable for that behavior. *side note: I often wonder if it's because it's easier to run down the slower speeder.

I couldn't see the whole field for the entirety of the game, but if you're going to let it go for 58 minutes, then let it go for 60 minutes. Don't be the state trooper that goes their entire shift letting drivers go 90 in a 70 and then pull over the driver going 78 before you knock off. It can be justified, but it still looks really bad. He could have and did call the penalty, and it is defensible by the letter of the law, but he shouldn't have in context of how the whole game was called.

No sympathy for the Eagles here either; they had their chances (so did the Chiefs if they didn't get that flag), and they may not have won anyway. Bad look for the officiating though.

Edit: and 100% agree the Hurts fumble and then the big punt return were two plays the Eagles allowed that were huge. And the officiating was like dropping your buttered bread on the floor. That last penalty was the bread landing butter side down.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:09 pm

Old but Slow wrote:That picture changes my mind. Judging from the viewing angles, the judge near the goal line would have seen it clearly, even though it was not easy to see from anywhere else. A good call. Unfortunate, but justified.

RiverDog wrote:Yeah, but you have to look at the play in real time. Sure, technically it was a hold, but it didn't affect the receiver's route at all and wasn't what caused the pass to be incomplete. If I had my druthers, I would have preferred that penalty not be called. As others have pointed out, there wasn't very many penalties on either team so there was likely a lot like that one that they were letting go, and I hate to see such a ticky tack one like that called in such a critical situation as that one was.

You can't really say that because this was immediately after the snap, before the receiver had gone into his route. You can say that the left had on the back that everyone is so up in arms about didn't but it's very possible that this little tug allowed the defender to stay glued to the receiver through his route. Besides, if the official sees the jersey pulled away from the body he's supposed to throw the flag, in week one or in the Super Bowl.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:16 pm

The receiver isn’t redirected at all and the balls 20 feet over his head . Terrible ticky tack call . I called it at the start of the thread when I was contemplating whether to watch Rogers cluster at all . Ref will probably decide it . Sure enough .

It’s a sucker bet though it’s something every game now . WWF don’t float my boat . I’m not some blind rube .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:20 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:Very similar to that. And LEO are just as questionable for that behavior. *side note: I often wonder if it's because it's easier to run down the slower speeder.

I couldn't see the whole field for the entirety of the game, but if you're going to let it go for 58 minutes, then let it go for 60 minutes. Don't be the state trooper that goes their entire shift letting drivers go 90 in a 70 and then pull over the driver going 78 before you knock off. It can be justified, but it still looks really bad. He could have and did call the penalty, and it is defensible by the letter of the law, but he shouldn't have in context of how the whole game was called.

No sympathy for the Eagles here either; they had their chances (so did the Chiefs if they didn't get that flag), and they may not have won anyway. Bad look for the officiating though.

Edit: and 100% agree the Hurts fumble and then the big punt return were two plays the Eagles allowed that were huge. And the officiating was like dropping your buttered bread on the floor. That last penalty was the bread landing butter side down.

It’s not about sympathy for the eagles . It’s love of the game . Let the players decide it instead of a ref pulling the plug with 2 minutes left . I’ve heard a zillion times you can call pass interference and holding every play .
Why that one right there ? Dick head celebrity ref like all of them .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:24 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Why that one right there ? Dick head celebrity ref like all of them .

He threw the flag because he just happened to be at the right angle and looking at the right moment to see the DB with a handful of jersey that is a huge signal to any ref that a penalty just occurred. We just heard from ObS, who is one of the most astute fans in our group, say that he changed his mind after seeing that picture that Cbob posted. To a ref, seeing a jersey pull is like seeing a receiver's head snap back and assuming that it's a personal foul, such as Kam Chancellor's hit on Vernon Davis from over a decade ago. Refs don't get a chance to see things in slow motion and replayed a thousand times like we do.

You know absolutely nothing about the ref that threw that flag, yet you assume that he's a dick head celebrity j/b he made a spur of the moment decision to throw a flag that he didn't spend more than a split-second thinking about. Hell, no one even knows the guy's name, so how can he be a celebrity?

Do I think the penalty should have been called? No. The jersey pull isn't what caused the pass to fail. It's like calling a block below the waist on a player 10 yards behind the play with zero chance of tackling the ball carrier. Was the ref justified in calling it? No question! It was clearly a foul.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:20 pm

Hawktawk wrote:It’s not about sympathy for the eagles . It’s love of the game . Let the players decide it instead of a ref pulling the plug with 2 minutes left . I’ve heard a zillion times you can call pass interference and holding every play .

I understand that HT, but if they dont call it you end up like the Saints-Rams NFC title game one year. I agree with you on Mahomey btw, I think he looks like a little punk. I just want to see him take one good Charles Martin, Turkey Jones, or a Leonard Marshall hit on Montana, just to make a man outta him!! :lol:
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:54 pm

RiverDog wrote:Yeah, but you have to look at the play in real time. Sure, technically it was a hold, but it didn't affect the receiver's route at all and wasn't what caused the pass to be incomplete. If I had my druthers, I would have preferred that penalty not be called. As others have pointed out, there wasn't very many penalties on either team so there was likely a lot like that one that they were letting go, and I hate to see such a ticky tack one like that called in such a critical situation as that one was.

c_hawkbob wrote:You can't really say that because this was immediately after the snap, before the receiver had gone into his route. You can say that the left had on the back that everyone is so up in arms about didn't but it's very possible that this little tug allowed the defender to stay glued to the receiver through his route. Besides, if the official sees the jersey pulled away from the body he's supposed to throw the flag, in week one or in the Super Bowl.

I mostly agree with you, that they are 'supposed' to throw the flag when they see a jersey tug like that, whether it be the Super Bowl or the preseason. But I disagree that the tug allowed the DB to stay with the receiver as it was too brief and there was no change in the receiver's speed or ability to get out on his route. It was a very close call, and the ref could have held onto the flag and been justified in doing so.

Don't get me wrong, I am not faulting the ref whatsoever. He made a snap judgement and did what he was trained to do. But given the circumstances, very late in the game like that, I would prefer that any penalty clearly be one and clearly had an effect on the play. From the ref's perspective, you call things tight early in the game in order to set a tone and let players know that you're watching. It makes their job easier in the long run as players aren't as likely to push the envelope and put pressure on you to throw the flag. But late in the 4th quarter, I hate to see a game tip like that due to a very close call.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:04 pm

Hawktawk wrote:It’s not about sympathy for the eagles . It’s love of the game . Let the players decide it instead of a ref pulling the plug with 2 minutes left . I’ve heard a zillion times you can call pass interference and holding every play .

obiken wrote:I understand that HT, but if they dont call it you end up like the Saints-Rams NFC title game one year.

Obi makes an excellent point. The Rams-Saints no call PI had to be in the back of the minds of every ref on that field.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby govandals » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:23 pm

Thank you C hawkbob for posting that pic. I had not seen it before. Whenever you get a jersey pull like that, it will get called. No longer a ticky tack call in my book. NFL should have shown that in the post game show, there would have been much less backlash.
govandals
Legacy

Postby govandals » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:28 pm

Hawktawk wrote:

Posting a blown up still shot that’s a blip of a quarter second in real time proves nothing and misses the point .

Actually, it proves it was a legit hold and called correctly.
govandals
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:01 am

Almost nobody is saying there wasn't a potential penalty. And show the still shot all you want . In real time its impossible to see a significant grab.

I agree with Greg Olsen who played well over a decade when he said in effect in real time after several replay angles , Yeah but....on this stage? That what you are gonna do?
I've read all over this forum well it was ticky tack. You think? Is that how a superbowl should end? That's the point of the 90% who think it was wrong. As I said Jason Whitlock national sports journalist from KC thought it was an awful call, thought between that and the field it was an example of what's wrong with the league. This is a guy celebrating his teams world championship.

Someone said a while back there had been a meeting with officials where it was decided to give DBs more freedom. Not on that one :D
For an entire game nothings been called. Then a play where the guy IS NOT RE DIRECTED OR HINDERED IS FLAGGED TO END THE GAME. I'm sure worse fouls of various types were ignored in the game, referees making decisions.

Lets rewind to the end of the giants commanders that set me off a few weeks ago where in a span of 3 plays a receiver is tricked into an illegal formation penalty by a ref on a 1 yard TD run that was 50 feet away . 2 plays later its 4th and goal from the 6 instead of TD 2 points from tying in essence a playoff game. The perfect pass for the tying TD has no chance as the receiver is completely locked up, both the defenders arms wrapped around him long before the ball. Both announcers said it was an egregious foul that should have been called. But tough the Giants were off to the postseason and Commanders off to the offseason. Call, no call.

Hell watch any game DK plays. They grab him and take their chances. A couple of his PFs were frustration at being fouled constantly.I see cloth grabbed numerous times a weekend with no call unless it impedes the guy. Sometimes when it does.

Rewind to Dee Jay vs the Rams last year reaching around a defenders body as the guy is tackling him while the ball hits him in the back. Yeah they missed it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :x They dont miss much. Sure didn't miss Dee Jay kicking the ball in utter frustration.
Last year in the AFC title game a KC defender grabbed a Cincinatti receiver with both hands and used his body to propel himself past him to pick the ball , no call, no way they missed it.
They make decisions like celebrity ref did. Lots benefit the Chiefs these days it seems.

I always hear how hard it is for the refs with the speed of the game blah blah blah 250 K a year to work 20 days a year and F it up worse than the weatherman.

You know who its hard on? Guys trying to stand up , especially defenders on a jello field for the world championship. Bradbury on an island 1 on 1 with a guy who runs a Z route on a sloppy field. He might have tugged a little to keep from falling on his ass. Its the way the game has been called all night. The entire thing was a disgrace . terrible game
Ive been tip of the spear calling for major NFL officiating overhaul for 17 years now. At some point if it doesn't improve Im out of there. And when 113 million watch and complain and watch again and again it aint ever gonna change.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:39 am

Hawktawk wrote:Almost nobody is saying there wasn't a potential penalty. And show the still shot all you want . In real time its impossible to see a significant grab.

It's difficult for us to see in real time because we're at the mercy of the camera angles and not 10 feet away from it like the ref was. If that photo that Cbob posted doesn't convince you that a penalty occurred, nothing will. You have your mind made up, that the game is fixed, and the officials are corrupt. I'm not sure why you even bother watching let alone get as involved as you are.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:58 am

It's one of those calls that happens throughout the year and didn't determine the outcome of the game.
What did determine the outcome?
How about Jalen Hurts unforced fumble and resulting scoop and score. 7 Points
How about the bad punt and big punt return. 7 Points
How about one TD by KC where the Defense didn't adjust followed by the same play to the other side where the Defense did the same thing. At least 7 points.

So there's 21 points that were determined by the Eagles failures and not the Refs.
NorthHawk
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks Forum