Something strange about Harvin's return

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Something strange about Harvin's return

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:22 pm

Apparently early this morning, Pete was his usual gloomy self when the question about Percy Harvin arose. In the morning, Pete continued his assessment from recent interviews, ie that Percy might be done for the season. However, by mid afternoon, he announced that he's returning to practice and might play in our first playoff game.

What happened? Can anyone explain this abrupt change?
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Something strange about Harvin's return

Postby HawkWow » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:27 pm

Manopause?

Actually, if you listen to the clowns at .net, it was me that should be credited for this abrupt turn-around. Harvin's tweet (I paraphrase) "you haters added fuel to my fire" is what got him off the couch. I gladly accept responsibility but will be eating no "crow". As I said over there, when he can prove his past transgressions were actually committed by his evil twin...then I will eat crow.
Last edited by HawkWow on Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:31 pm

RiverDog wrote:Apparently early this morning, Pete was his usual gloomy self when the question about Percy Harvin arose. In the morning, Pete continued his assessment from recent interviews, ie that Percy might be done for the season. However, by mid afternoon, he announced that he's returning to practice and might play in our first playoff game.

Maybe he sees a super bowl win in his future.
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:44 pm

RiverDog wrote:Apparently early this morning, Pete was his usual gloomy self when the question about Percy Harvin arose. In the morning, Pete continued his assessment from recent interviews, ie that Percy might be done for the season. However, by mid afternoon, he announced that he's returning to practice and might play in our first playoff game.

Yes - Some folks here on the Shack and apparently some other places accross the internet began asking the questions that the local (worthless) Press is responsible for asking about 9 days ago related to the Harvin situation.

Our questions asking for the accountability of Harvin to his teammates and also to the terms of his contract that he has collected over $10 million so far this year alone looks to have shamed Percy into returning to the field.

Mission accomplished - We now return you to your regular programming of sports journalism such as King 5 Paul Silvi and his "always smiling positive nice compliments" - KIRO Danny O'Neil apologies to Pete Carrol for asking a question of Percy Harvins availability and Clair Farnsworth "Puff Pieces" of Seahawk PR.
Last edited by savvyman on Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby PACHawk » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:55 pm

It's put up or shut up time...and anyone who will play the Hawks has to dread the match-up!
PACHawk
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:01 pm

I listen to 710 Seattle every day and I agree that people really aren't asking the correct questions about Harvin. I can see that clearly in this forum. I really do think that this is a case of setback after setback on a surgery. Percy only makes 4.9 Mil this year, it's the smallest part of his contract that is more back loaded. So realistically, we could cut him after the SB and he would make very little compared to that very big contract he signed.

I honestly do not believe this is some jackass trying to make a ton of dough and sit on a couch like a fat Albert Haynesworth. Like Pete said, it takes some people years to get right with hip surgeries and Harvin is doing that in mere months. Harvin is so darn talented it's unreal, and it feels like you have a brand new Ferrari sitting in the driveway and you can't drive it because it has some electrical issues.

I totally understand where people are coming from on this topic especially considering his past, but some things simply are what they are and nothing more. I think this is one of those situations.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:13 pm

Steady_Hawk wrote:I listen to 710 Seattle every day and I agree that people really aren't asking the correct questions about Harvin. I can see that clearly in this forum. I really do think that this is a case of setback after setback on a surgery. Percy only makes 4.9 Mil this year, it's the smallest part of his contract that is more back loaded. So realistically, we could cut him after the SB and he would make very little compared to that very big contract he signed.

I honestly do not believe this is some jackass trying to make a ton of dough and sit on a couch like a fat Albert Haynesworth. Like Pete said, it takes some people years to get right with hip surgeries and Harvin is doing that in mere months. Harvin is so darn talented it's unreal, and it feels like you have a brand new Ferrari sitting in the driveway and you can't drive it because it has some electrical issues.

I totally understand where people are coming from on this topic especially considering his past, but some things simply are what they are and nothing more. I think this is one of those situations.

Harvin's motivations wouldn't be as suspect as they are if he hadn't acted like such an A-hole in Minnesota. You can't help but wonder.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:14 pm

Can't argue with that logic RD. Harvin made his own bed.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:26 pm

Steady_Hawk wrote:I listen to 710 Seattle every day and I agree that people really aren't asking the correct questions about Harvin. I can see that clearly in this forum. I really do think that this is a case of setback after setback on a surgery. Percy only makes 4.9 Mil this year, it's the smallest part of his contract that is more back loaded. So realistically, we could cut him after the SB and he would make very little compared to that very big contract he signed.

Yours is a very fair and balanced position, SH. But questions surrounding the Harvin situation, are also asked in the book "The boy that cried wolf". IS he lying or is he telling the truth? We know that he has lied in the past, and a liar shouldn't be stunned if he is not believed. This is wayyyy more on Harvin than it is on any of us that questioned him, or his motivation. Apparently Harvin never read the book, so he can thank us for reading it to him.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:30 pm

HawkWow wrote:

Yours is a very fair and balanced position, SH. But questions surrounding the Harvin situation, are also asked in the book "The boy that cried wolf". IS he lying or is he telling the truth? We know that he has lied in the past, and a liar shouldn't be stunned if he is not believed. This is wayyyy more on Harvin than it is on any of us that questioned him, or his motivation. Apparently Harvin never read the book, so he can thank us for reading it to him.

Actually the "Little Boy That Cried Wolf" isn't a book, it's a fable. But your point is dead on. I wouldn't trust Percy Harvin any further than I can spit.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:33 pm

What's strange to me is how a professional athlete would give a s*** what the general public thinks in the 1st place, so much so that they pay attention to twitter remarks or even have one of those accounts to begin with.

Of all the social media out there, it is the single biggest p.o.s., and one that a lot of public figures should shutdown, let alone read.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:37 pm

Zorn76 wrote:What's strange to me is how a professional athlete would give a s*** what the general public thinks in the 1st place, so much so that they pay attention to twitter remarks or even have one of those accounts to begin with.

Of all the social media out there, it is the single biggest p.o.s., and one that a lot of public figures should shutdown, let alone read.

You mad, bro?

LOL! I agree. It's no wonder some coaches have tried to prohibit their players from going onto the social media.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:05 pm

RiverDog wrote:
Zorn76 wrote:What's strange to me is how a professional athlete would give a s*** what the general public thinks in the 1st place, so much so that they pay attention to twitter remarks or even have one of those accounts to begin with.

You mad, bro?

LOL! I agree. It's no wonder some coaches have tried to prohibit their players from going onto the social media.

lol, I know, I sounded pizzed there, and it definitelly irks me. It reads more dramatic than it really is, actually. I just don't get it (twitter).
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:23 am

So maybe I missed something here, but it seems people are implying some sort of "lying" problem Harvin has had in the past. What lie was he telling? Just curious, because I don't remember a huge problem with lies being his issues in Minnesota. There was rumblings of injury prone, or primadonna, or even a malcontent with the coaching staff, but lies? Not that I heard of. So if you all could just fill me in on his lying problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure how many times people have to hear "major surgery" before they grasp what that entails, but not sure making stuff up ( which to be honest is a BULK of what fans disappointed with his ability to play is) helps in any way, nor is it just telling it like it is. I've heard every silly made up thing I can think of. From he's a puss, to he is lying, to he doesn't want to play. NONE of it is backed up with anything but speculation, bias ( usually that is just a continuation of a dislike of the original trade) or frustration.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:42 am

I have questions for the forum: What makes it 'our right' to know what is driving Percy? If the team was 'holding him back' for the playoffs... would you feel cheated that he didn't play sooner?

Maybe he really is hurt. is it our right to ask the doctors if we don't get the answer's from him or Pete? If the team 'conspires' to make it up to help the team, will you call them out? (By the way, Pete makes stuff up all the time. He gives great press conferences if you listen to the unedited versions. So does Russell).

If we find out that he really did just get pissed off with the torment on the internet, then good for all of us... but is this really the way we want it to go down?

Bo Jackson could never play again after his hip went out. It's one of those injuries that makes it hard to cut, turn, stride. It's like turf toe for a lineman. It's just one of those injuries.

js
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:30 am

HumanCockroach wrote:So maybe I missed something here, but it seems people are implying some sort of "lying" problem Harvin has had in the past. What lie was he telling? Just curious, because I don't remember a huge problem with lies being his issues in Minnesota. There was rumblings of injury prone, or primadonna, or even a malcontent with the coaching staff, but lies? Not that I heard of. So if you all could just fill me in on his lying problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure how many times people have to hear "major surgery" before they grasp what that entails, but not sure making stuff up ( which to be honest is a BULK of what fans disappointed with his ability to play is) helps in any way, nor is it just telling it like it is. I've heard every silly made up thing I can think of. From he's a puss, to he is lying, to he doesn't want to play. NONE of it is backed up with anything but speculation, bias ( usually that is just a continuation of a dislike of the original trade) or frustration.

"Lies" isn't a good term, and I don't believe I used it. "Trust" seems a better fit for my feelings towards Percy.

The problem is one of credibility. He's had such a checkered past with all the issues he's had from his college days, his time with the Vikings, and the short amount of time he's been with us that it makes it difficult to believe him when he says he can't even practice 5 weeks after he blew us away with his performance in a live game without suffering any apparent injury. He had similar unverifiable 'injuries' at MN, hence the "little boy who cried wolf" analogy. I don't trust him, and I won't trust him until he's on the field consistently and contributing at a level we have been led to expect.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Oly » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:07 am

jshawaii22 wrote:I have questions for the forum: What makes it 'our right' to know what is driving Percy? If the team was 'holding him back' for the playoffs... would you feel cheated that he didn't play sooner?

Maybe he really is hurt. is it our right to ask the doctors if we don't get the answer's from him or Pete? If the team 'conspires' to make it up to help the team, will you call them out? (By the way, Pete makes stuff up all the time. He gives great press conferences if you listen to the unedited versions. So does Russell).

If we find out that he really did just get pissed off with the torment on the internet, then good for all of us... but is this really the way we want it to go down?

Bo Jackson could never play again after his hip went out. It's one of those injuries that makes it hard to cut, turn, stride. It's like turf toe for a lineman. It's just one of those injuries.

js

This.
Oly
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:19 am

I used the term "lies" and stand behind the use of that term. Lies about migraines (after Moss' release) , lies about drug use (failed piss tests at UF and the combine), lies about missing not 1 but 2 mandatory combine meetings (said he "overslept" for both). Lies about his absence at the rookie symposium, lies about an undetected virus' (that forced the team plane to land and him subsequently missing game)...etc etc.

Didn't know there wasn't a book called "The boy that cried wolf", RD. I understand it's been a story frequently used to point out a person wouldn't be believed if he kept lying. I guess the fact nobody ever pointed me in that direction bodes well for me. ; )
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:35 pm

The only possible way you could know that any of that was a "lie" was if you yourself is Percy Harvin, or there was some type of proof to the contrary, which there isn't. Nothing you posted has anything backing it up. I am POSITIVE that Harvin HAS lied, just like I am POSITIVE so has every single person that has ever existed. Lying is part of Human Nature, it happens. Claiming Harvins migraines don't exist, or that an injury doesn't exist because he skipped some pre draft meetings is the height of silliness. This was SURGERY that is a MAJOR problem. I love how people that sit on their sofa's on Sundays watching players get hit can claim they wouldn't do it, they would be on the field, LMFAO, sure maybe you would, doubtful, but maybe, maybe you would be willing to risk your career to play in a couple games ( games that did not matter ultimately), course you might also be a person that calls out sick occasionally when you feel fine, or runs to the doctor when you stub a toe. No way to know for sure, but what IS clear to ANYONE paying attention, is Harvin WAS hurt, bad enough to require surgery to repair the problem, and that either Harvin, OR the SEAHAWKS didn't feel he was ready to play. Pretending like this was ALL Harvins decision shows how little people know about how the NFL works.

It absolutely shocks me how people can accept the Concussions that stretch on for a month or more as the "right thing to do" and lose their minds over a serious surgery taking time to heal. Whatever, call them lies, call him a pussy, claim to know things you fellas don't. Stand behind them all you want. It doesn't matter ultimately as you have no say in what happens. I'll trust the staff and player to make the call, not a bunch of speculative talking heads.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:26 pm

I know very well what I'm talking about. So do the Gators, the combine officials, Casserly, Childress, Frazier and the Vikes. I refuse to argue a subject with someone that refuses to research the subject. Have a blast.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:04 pm

Regardless of his past, we do have some guidelines for recovery from this type of surgery - which from what I've heard could have been as long as January or as short as November. Some have even said elite athletes aren't 100% for a full year.
I tend to think he came back too soon and suffered or is suffering the consequences.
Perhaps the disappointment we see in PC's demeanor is in himself for not being conservative with the injury and getting talked into letting him play.

Whatever it is, we'll never know the real story.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:11 pm

I'm not arguing a thing, I am pointing out that unless you are Harvin, or the FO you are speculating, and nothing more. I am pointing out the fact that 99% of society has taken time to recover from things far less serious than major hip surgery, and do so without having to face getting pummelled on a football field against world class athletes, I am pointing out the fact that while it easy for anyone not named Harvin, to judge, speculate and insinuate whatever they want, not a ONE. Of them knows jack crap about what was decided by Harvin, what was decided by Carroll, the medical staff or anyone else with first hand knowledge of the situation. Unlike a claim to "know" that he is or has or was lying, my statements are true, not speculation, or conclusion drawn from what I "think", they are drawn on what is accurately been divulged. From those actually dealing with his recovery and ability to perform and play.

I remain in the "innocent until proven guilty crowd" and will continue to be so. Condemn him all you want, not a bit of it is backed up by anything but suspicions, speculation or bias, either by you or something you read in the press or on the television. Since I don't waste time on rumours or guesses, I'll continue to operate on what I actually KNOW, which is he had surgery, and is attempting to recover in time to play this year in the playoffs.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:54 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:I'm not arguing a thing, I am pointing out that unless you are Harvin, or the FO you are speculating, and nothing more. I am pointing out the fact that 99% of society has taken time to recover from things far less serious than major hip surgery, and do so without having to face getting pummelled on a football field against world class athletes, I am pointing out the fact that while it easy for anyone not named Harvin, to judge, speculate and insinuate whatever they want, not a ONE. Of them knows jack crap about what was decided by Harvin, what was decided by Carroll, the medical staff or anyone else with first hand knowledge of the situation. Unlike a claim to "know" that he is or has or was lying, my statements are true, not speculation, or conclusion drawn from what I "think", they are drawn on what is accurately been divulged. From those actually dealing with his recovery and ability to perform and play.

I remain in the "innocent until proven guilty crowd" and will continue to be so. Condemn him all you want, not a bit of it is backed up by anything but suspicions, speculation or bias, either by you or something you read in the press or on the television. Since I don't waste time on rumours or guesses, I'll continue to operate on what I actually KNOW, which is he had surgery, and is attempting to recover in time to play this year in the playoffs.

You're right, there are suspicions, rumors, and speculation surrounding Percy Harvin. But it would be disingenuous to suggest that's all the opinions expressed here are based on as there are a number of indisputable facts that are being used to support much of the speculation that has occurred.

If this were Russell Wilson recovering from an injury, there wouldn't be a fraction of the suspicion that's being expressed around 12th man country. It's only because it involves a player with a very questionable past that these rumors are getting traction and are being seen by some as a viable explanation to a very mysterious set of circumstances.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:37 pm

You're right, I guess I still adhere to the thought of treating people equally until such time they prove that they are dishonest. I would treat Wilson and Harvin the same, as the "facts" you say are "backing" up the opinions, aren't facts at all but accepted truths among a group of people. Extrapolating something to match peoples speculation, IMHO isn't a fact. The facts are he has had problems with migraines, fans are the ones calling it bunk, he missed time after surgery, fans are the ones calling it lies, he was shut down last season, and no one knows why, as it has never been made public, he was in fact injured last season, does that mean he was hurt, that the staff didn't want him, or that he was a cancer? You all draw your own conclusions and profess them as "fact", they aren't, but that is really my point. Saying missed pre draft interviews, saying he over slept is a lie is all fine and dandy, but no one on this board can claim that as "fact" unless they were with him when it occurred.

I see LOTS of guesses, speculation and claims, in this and many other threads over the course of the season and even before the trade, but very little in the way of fact.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:00 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:You're right, I guess I still adhere to the thought of treating people equally until such time they prove that they are dishonest. I would treat Wilson and Harvin the same, as the "facts" you say are "backing" up the opinions, aren't facts at all but accepted truths among a group of people. Extrapolating something to match peoples speculation, IMHO isn't a fact. The facts are he has had problems with migraines, fans are the ones calling it bunk, he missed time after surgery, fans are the ones calling it lies, he was shut down last season, and no one knows why, as it has never been made public, he was in fact injured last season, does that mean he was hurt, that the staff didn't want him, or that he was a cancer? You all draw your own conclusions and profess them as "fact", they aren't, but that is really my point. Saying missed pre draft interviews, saying he over slept is a lie is all fine and dandy, but no one on this board can claim that as "fact" unless they were with him when it occurred.

I see LOTS of guesses, speculation and claims, in this and many other threads over the course of the season and even before the trade, but very little in the way of fact.

Facts are that he had major, multiple personality conflicts in Minnesota, fact that he rejected the opinion of team doctors and opted for a second opinion on his hip, fact that he played lights out then couldn't even practice for 5 weeks... need I go on?

The only thing that is going to stop this speculation and guys like me from trying to put 2 and 2 together is him getting on the field and producing consistent results to the degree that we've been led to expect.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:22 am

LOL, which just another way of saying YOU expected something, allowed yourself to believe those expectations, and are disappointed, so instead of being introspective, seeing it was you placing those expectations, not the player or the team, you ( and by that I mean the fans expecting the surgery not to happen, and once it happened there to be no delays, or set backs what so ever) decide to put 2 and 2 together, and come up with the "facts" you want. Got it.

LOL. Maybe they should just cut the guy, be done with it, course then when he wins a couple MVPS somewhere else fans will be griping about what a dumb move it was, or complaining how they wasted a high pick, when they could have had some mediocre player instead of Harvin. LOL, hedge your position fella's the guy is amazing, period, no matter your opinion on the guy, talent shows, it has and will always be that way and he has it to spare. Most Talented receiver to ever put on a Hawks uniform, and yes that includes my all time favorite Mr. Largent, what he does with it remains to be seen.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:58 am

HumanCockroach wrote:LOL, which just another way of saying YOU expected something, allowed yourself to believe those expectations, and are disappointed, so instead of being introspective, seeing it was you placing those expectations, not the player or the team, you ( and by that I mean the fans expecting the surgery not to happen, and once it happened there to be no delays, or set backs what so ever) decide to put 2 and 2 together, and come up with the "facts" you want. Got it.

LOL. Maybe they should just cut the guy, be done with it, course then when he wins a couple MVPS somewhere else fans will be griping about what a dumb move it was, or complaining how they wasted a high pick, when they could have had some mediocre player instead of Harvin. LOL, hedge your position fella's the guy is amazing, period, no matter your opinion on the guy, talent shows, it has and will always be that way and he has it to spare. Most Talented receiver to ever put on a Hawks uniform, and yes that includes my all time favorite Mr. Largent, what he does with it remains to be seen.

I expected no more than what Pete has been telling us since he traded for this guy. If I was expecting too much, then go talk to Pete. He's the one that has been adorning the guy with every superlative in the English language. If my expectations were too high, it wasn't me that was "allowed" myself to believe in them. I am only going on what I was told.

I'm not sure which of my facts you are saying I am arriving at. Is it not a fact that Harvin got an opinion not to have surgery and opted for a second opinion, of which he accepted? Is it not a fact that he had major personality conflicts at Minnesota and could not get along with two head coaches? Is it not a fact that he returned to play, looked fantastic, then with a condition described as only "soreness" or "stiffness" and no "structural damage", could not even practice for 5 weeks? Specifically, which of these facts is it that I getting wrong?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:37 am

Harvin, based on the stuff that I have read about him is a potential liability to this team. Yet Pete didn't think so. Should I agree with every decision PC makes. No. And also, should I believe everything I read? Hell no.

All I can say is that I hope the guy comes back and plays b to the wall! We need that as a team.

It's not that I don't believe in the guy, I have doubts. Its like what I learned from a bible story in Sunday School:

Thomas received word that Jesus appeared before the apostles. Thomas said " Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe."

I guess that's me. Remember Jesus never rebuked Thomas either for his doubts.

I am not a religious man, these days though. (Just so you know my angle).

What does this mean? I will have doubts about Harvin until he proves me wrong. Then I will STFU and sing his praises. Having doubts about his character(certainly not his athletic ability) is my opinion and not necessarily based on facts because as was pointed out, none of us was there when these so called incidents occurred, but instead based on what I have read, which may be bogus or true. Problem is as was stated, we don't know which is true or not.

So I will just reservedly doubt the guy's character until he proves me wrong. Something tells me that he could very well prove me wrong. I'd be happy with that.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:58 am

I think one of 2 things is happening. Either Pete has been playing Okeydoke with potential opponents, fudging on the injury report and holding Percy back ala Bill Billacheat, or the threat of ir has forced PH to make a choice. Again, I have a hard time believing he could look as explosive as he did vs the Vikes and then need to shut it down for 5 games. And as we know they were 5 pivotal games where Seattle nearly gagged away HFA with our reciever corps absolutely decimated by injury. I suspect the latter but will hope for the best. Regardless, I hope Harvin shows enough in the postseason to garner interest from some other sucker GM. Not comfortable with him on our roster.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:28 am

Harvin is toast, he was a good gamble but we lost. Next year we have to cut him loose, period. Its game time, either he contributes in the Playoffs or he is down the road.
With the 9ers its all hands on deck, IF I was betting with my own money that I couldn't afford to lose I would take the 9ers in the coming game. I have been wrong before, and I really, really hope I am wrong on that. Too many weapons, even for our defense.

obi
obiken
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:35 pm

obiken wrote:Harvin is toast, he was a good gamble but we lost. Next year we have to cut him loose, period. Its game time, either he contributes in the Playoffs or he is down the road.
With the 9ers its all hands on deck, IF I was betting with my own money that I couldn't afford to lose I would take the 9ers in the coming game. I have been wrong before, and I really, really hope I am wrong on that. Too many weapons, even for our defense.

obi

I hear what you're saying, but in the end the Seahawks still beat SF at The Clink if it comes to that.
The 49ers barely got by a 4-10 Falcons team - in SF no less - and Palmer threw for 400+ yds against that secondary last week.

They are on a win streak, yes, but are hardly invincible, especially in Seattle, where we have Owned them the last 2 yrs.

No guarantees, but the smart money would be on the Seahawks, IMO.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:45 pm

I'm not sure which of my facts you are saying I am arriving at. Is it not a fact that Harvin got an opinion not to have surgery and opted for a second opinion, of which he accepted? Is it not a fact that he had major personality conflicts at Minnesota and could not get along with two head coaches? Is it not a fact that he returned to play, looked fantastic, then with a condition described as only "soreness" or "stiffness" and no "structural damage", could not even practice for 5 weeks? Specifically, which of these facts is it that I getting wrong?

Tagging along to Riverdogs Comments.....

What is also a "Fact" is that in Pete Caroll's Monday Morning Press Conference he described Percy Harvins Situation as a "Personal Thing" and stated that it looked like it would take "Until Next Season" for Percy to "Be Right" again.

Fact - Then four hours later Pete does a complete 180 and states that Percy will be on the Practice field this week with the intention of playing.

Fact - In between those four hours Percy showed up at the Hawks facility where he ran routes for Russell Wilson and he was described as "Amazing" by observers of the events.

So how much more evidence do some people need to conclude what we concluded in that thread about Percy? That Pete and the team thought he was ready to play - or 'good enough' to play like a lot of banged up NFL players are at this time of year - and he has been ready for a period of time but since Percy did not think his condition was "Perfect" he did not want to participate and he had note from his own doctor excusing his absence.

So the previous week Percy was so bad he could not even make it to practice or the game - but the next day his route running was called "Amazing" by those who saw it?

Now this is a Guess based on Facts why Percy showed up to practice - two reasons:

1. He was shamed into it by some people across the internet who were doing the job (ie asking questions) that the local sports journalist are supposed to be doing (verified by percy comments on twitter to the "Haters")

2. Because after the Superbowl the Hawks were going to use the six day window to first try and trade him and if they were not successful then they were going to cut him.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:10 pm

His route running was "Amazing".
Do you really believe any comments like that? I don't, unless I know and trust the speaker.

Regarding the after effects of the game he played.
It's a fact that they were draining fluid from the hip. It's also a fact they said he had extra movement in the hip which according to the Doctor at the blue could mean an issue had surfaced.

I think he came back too early, but the possibility remains he has been dogging it.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:54 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxFVSLbQq-I
Just saying....

I mean, there's not another athlete in football quite like him, and if he is able to be nothing more than a decoy, he's a great decoy.
He may very well dog it from time to time, it certainly appears like it at times, I cannot say one way or another, but his actual play on the field sure doesn't look like it comes from someone who "dog's it"! He never "dog's it" on the field. No one fights and plays and tries harder than Harvin, unless it's Lynch.
It's hard to believe that someone who plays that hard "dog's it"....but then again, he has had mysteriously appearing and disappearing headaches and various other boo-boos throughout his career, so I can understand why there are some who might question it.
monkey
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:04 pm

monkey wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxFVSLbQq-I
Just saying....

I mean, there's not another athlete in football quite like him, and if he is able to be nothing more than a decoy, he's a great decoy.
He may very well dog it from time to time, it certainly appears like it at times, I cannot say one way or another, but his actual play on the field sure doesn't look like it comes from someone who "dog's it"! He never "dog's it" on the field. No one fights and plays and tries harder than Harvin, unless it's Lynch.
It's hard to believe that someone who plays that hard "dog's it"....but then again, he has had mysteriously appearing and disappearing headaches and various other boo-boos throughout his career, so I can understand why there are some who might question it.

Yep, special talent, period.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:36 pm

monkey wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxFVSLbQq-I
Just saying....

One reason some of us feel Harvin's been dogging it is since his (admitted) mentor, Randy Moss, preached to him (in front of many witnesses) "I practice when I want to practice and I play when I want to play"...Harvin proceeded to miss 60% of Minnesota's practices and camps with maladies that could not be proved...or disproved. As stated 1,000 times, Percy brought this on himself. Why are we the bad guys for calling him on it? We are doing what Urban Meyer should have done. Percy would be a better man today if he had.

Just so many people in this thread, with their eyes open, that I am astonished. Happily. Probably the most irritating thing for me in this whole fiasco is the number of fans that turn a blind eye to a player's track record as soon as he dons the blue and green. I hold us to a higher standard and do so unapologetically. The question I've encouraged people to ask themselves is very simple: What would you be saying about Harvin today, if he were a 9er? Nobody wants to answer that question. My opinions do not change just because a guy is on our team.

With that...he's 25. He can make change. That time is now. For all the crap myself and several knowledgeable fans here have endured because of our educated opinions on the subject, some fail to see none of us our hoping for Harvin's failure. If you believe we are, then believe we are hoping for Wilson's failure as well. Harvin is a Hawk and IIRC, the highest paid player in Hawk history. If we are expecting too much from him, then so was he and his agent.

One thing that troubles me about this abrupt turn-around: In the morning, Pete suggests Harvin is toast. But then Wilson and Harvin go out and Wilson has Harvin running "amazing" routes and Harvin just looked "amazing". I find it pretty damn hard to believe that Wilson would put Harvin through this "amazing" work-out without Pete's knowledge, perhaps risking further or even permanent injury. Just bizarre...but all good now, at least.. for now. Going forward, I will do my best to avoid trash talking Harvin. All any of us wanted was for him to be on the field. Now that it looks like that might happen, Go Hawk Harvin. Go out there and kill it so we can win a SB and hopefully find ourselves a trade partner. And no Minnesota, we will not take our 7th back for him. Don't even ask.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:32 pm

Let me just say that I'm as mixed now as when we traded for him. His talent is undeniable. If we had a guy like that on our team, who was a team guy, I think we work HARD to keep the game changin' sombitch. The Vikings didn't - while they collected a hefty ransom, there are just certain players you don't let go.

I worry about the one bad apple deal, the negative mojo seeping in... Etc. at the same time I believe in What the Hawks have working. I guess I think (warning -wishy washy way out coming) that bits and pieces of all of the above are true, some misunderstood, and some are false (but feel true given the history). Here's to 2014 being the year Harvin let's himself mature. God knows if my actions from age 20-25 were followed by the media, y'all might want some distance from me.

Go Hawks!
Last edited by Hawk Sista on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:46 pm

Hawk Sista wrote: God knows if my actions from age 20-25 were followed by the media, y'all might want some distance from me.

Go Hawks!

"Might" being the operative word, Hawksis. Personally, I'd like to hear more.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:49 pm

LOL Sis yeah none of us would have wanted to have the press following us around in our late teens, early 20s. I still wouldnt frankly:-) One thing I know about myself is that I always had a strong work ethic. I might have stayed up all night drinking or snorting blow as a young wild man but I showed up for work on time with my hard hat on, even if I had to go puke behind the dumpster sometimes. Now Im a supervisor and I remember those days so I give some latitude to my employees IF THEY HAVE TALENT. Thats the deal with Harvin. He oozes so much talent that he routinely gets away with crud that would get a backup cut a hundred times over. Yes he is explosive when he takes the field. Thats talent, madly so. But a strong work ethic is grabbing your hard hat and lunch pail and coming to work when you dont feel like it, when you are sick, when you are sore. IMO Harvin lacks a strong work ethic.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:07 pm

Hawktawk wrote:LOL Sis yeah none of us would have wanted to have the press following us around in our late teens, early 20s. I still wouldnt frankly:-) One thing I know about myself is that I always had a strong work ethic. I might have stayed up all night drinking or snorting blow as a young wild man but I showed up for work on time with my hard hat on, even if I had to go puke behind the dumpster sometimes. Now Im a supervisor and I remember those days so I give some latitude to my employees IF THEY HAVE TALENT. Thats the deal with Harvin. He oozes so much talent that he routinely gets away with crud that would get a backup cut a hundred times over. Yes he is explosive when he takes the field. Thats talent, madly so. But a strong work ethic is grabbing your hard hat and lunch pail and coming to work when you dont feel like it, when you are sick, when you are sore. IMO Harvin lacks a strong work ethic.

Great post (aside from the disturbing visuals, LOL).

I believe we are dead on about Harvin. An unbelievable, undeniable talent that was coddled and allowed to get away with too much because of that talent. It's made him rich, but not respected. You may not be Harvin-rich, but because of your work ethic, you likely have the respect he does not. So the easy question is; what matters more...money or respect? It's a question I've wrestled with my entire life...and have concluded both are attainable. I am hopeful Harvin will earn respect as he earns his money. As the rest of our team does.
Last edited by HawkWow on Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HawkWow
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum