Offensive Strategy

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Offensive Strategy

Postby Futureite » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:15 pm

I want to talk Hawks O strategy. I have touched on some of these concepts before, but I am now beginning to see some of them surface in Bleacher reports and national media. I wanted to get your take to see if you witness the same;

(1) Oline splits are above average. This may be inline with and common to all zone blocking schemes - I don't know. But about a year ago I did notice that the Oline splits were quite large. This is key to the O strategy, IMO.

(2) WRs are flanked as far out to the sideline as possible. This works in tandem with the Oline splits and increases the amount of field that the D needs to defend.

(3) Press the edge with WR/RB screens and R/O. Seattle attempts to press the edge with as much speed as possible. Russell Wilson is key to this strategy, as his speed is one of the first options in pressing the edge. We also see a lot of WR screens even after Harvin, and at least in my limited time watching they appear to be much more effective than some other teams at executing them. Carroll/Schneider have made a concerted effort to draft or sign FA athletes - guys that can fly. Examples are Harvin, Michael, and Richardson. Again, I believe this is key to the strategy.

(4) Now (1), (2) and (3) are really a prelude to setting up what the Hawks do best - and that is pound the ball inside. With (1) and (2) you have spread the D out and made them defend a lot of space. Now you have a bull with incredible lateral quickness pounding straight at you, with an explosive lateral quickness that allows him to exploit the extra space to an even greater degree. The zone blocking scheme allows Lynch to pick and choose his spots and explode through them. With his physicality and burst it is nearly impossible to keep him from gaining 3 or 4 yds on any given play.

(5) Is the icing on the cake to this strategy. Once the D has loaded up to stop Lynch from consistently moving the chains, Hawks take calculated deep shots. Russell Wilson throws one of the best deep balls in the game, and well timed shots down the field often break close games open.

I know I am not stating anything revolutionary, but do you guys see the same things? I have noticed and thought about the Oline splits/WR alignment for a good 1 or 2 now. But I rarely heard people bring this up, until very recently.

Thoughts?
Futureite
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum