The Price for RW just went up!!

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

The Price for RW just went up!!

Postby Anthony » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:50 pm

For those of you who thought we might get RW for 16 mil, forget it, We cannot even talk to him for another 1.5 years and Cutler just signed for an avg of 17.6 mil a year.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/ ... r-contract

Clayton just said on the radio 710 earlier he believes it will be in the 20 mil a year range by the time we can even talk with RW. HE also said by then they should be able to do it and still filed a great team.
Anthony
Legacy

Re: The Price for RW just went up!!

Postby HawkWow » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:45 pm

17.5 for Cutler? Dayum.

20 mil to RW. Let's see how unpopular I can make myself with this one:

I would trade away our 1st this year to a team we feel will likely fail (Jax?) for their 1st next year. With 2 picks in the 1st rd of the 2015 draft, one very high, the other very low, I would then use them in any way necessary to draft Marcus Mariota.

I would groom Mariota under RW next year, then trade RW to the highest bidder at season's end (with at least 1 title under our belt!). As much as I love RW, and I do, I believe Mariota has similar qualities and perhaps even more upside. We would have him on a rookie deal for the next 4 years using saved money to take care of other players that are coming to the end of their contract and also to bring in FAs. Like many of you, I've seen a ton of college QBs and believe Mariota has the potential to be an all timer in the pros. And yes, I believe he has the potential to be even better than RW.

Before you get started, I encourage you to think analytically, with emotions aside. There is nothing "stupid" about what I am suggesting. People called my desire to draft Foles "stupid", too. Keep in mind, knowing RW isn't enough to intelligently argue this, you would need to know quite a bit about Mariota, too. I've watched his every play and know his background very well (going back to St Louis HS, Oahu).

RW is awesome but just because he's the best QB we've ever had, doesn't mean he's the best QB in history....or the future. Obviously I know this is not going to happen, just presenting what I think would be a sensible, if not great option. BUT..it wouldn't shock me if RW was a bit more gentle on us. If Buffalo (etc) is offering him 20...and we offer him 17, I think he stays in Seattle. That would also make me happy...especially if Mariota ends up in the AFC.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:49 pm

I'm a bit miffed the Bears resigned Cutler. I had hoped they'd let him walk, which would have upset the sometimes volatile Brandon Marshall. I was hopeful we could work a trade for Marshall thereafter. He would fit beautifully in our line-up...exactly what we need (since he's grown up a bit).
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:01 pm

Among other things, RW is the PROVEN QB at the NFL level.
He has all the intangibles in his favor, Period, on top of being a very productive quarterback.
It's a moot point to come up with any scenario that would see him traded.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:03 pm

Although I know I have brought this up before, I still believe that the NFL or the next CBA should put in a cap on what a NFL player can make based on a percentage of the cap. Eccentric owners ruin the salary cap by giving insane contracts to players that others want. Now all good QB's run around 20 Mil.

Honestly, I think 10-12% should be the monetary cap for any player in the NFL. This would allow for a more balanced cap per position and give teams a better shot at retaining their talent and prevent these moron owners from creating these unrealistic pay scales.

HawkWow,

Dude, I can't even imagine getting rid of Wilson. I wouldn't get rid of him for 5 first round picks. He very well may become the premier QB in the entire NFL.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:07 pm

Love RW but 20 mil a year? Na, that will be to big of a cap hit. If you look at his stats for his first 2 years, no way he gets 20 mil. That said he still has one more year to show what he has. Take your Hawk fan glasses off and really think about it. Paying a QB that much limits the ability of the FO to surround RW with a solid O line and good receivers. It's pro football and it's real,.. tough decisions will have to made over the next few years!

Football is a business and it will be interesting how this thing plays out over the next few years.

IMO, this is the best opportunity to get the Lombardi. After this year there will be tough decisions to be made.
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:22 pm

Distant Relative wrote:Love RW but 20 mil a year? Na, that will be to big of a cap hit. If you look at his stats for his first 2 years, no way he gets 20 mil. That said he still has one more year to show what he has. Take your Hawk fan glasses off and really think about it. Paying a QB that much limits the ability of the FO to surround RW with a solid O line and good receivers. It's pro football and it's real,.. tough decisions will have to made over the next few years!

Football is a business and it will be interesting how this thing plays out over the next few years.

IMO, this is the best opportunity to get the Lombardi. After this year there will be tough decisions to be made.

My thought process exactly. Someone will have to go and it would make sense to maximize that departure. I may be mistaken, but don't we have a 4th year option on RW? Someone would likely give us a 1st for that final year.

I should say here again that I love Wilson. I just watched that NFLnet special with Phish and Wilson. I laughed out loud at times and got misty at others. Players / QBs come and go. It's something that has to be contended with...like losing a pet. If the number for RW is 20...we would save 15 mil a year by drafting Mariota, while adding another #1 in the RW trade. That's buys some serious weaponry. But I do understand people not wanting to move RW....aside from money, there's zero reason to. He's very special, like Mariota, but 6" shorter. ; ) here's a few of Mariota's accomplishments...after barely playing in HS. He played a generous portion of 2013 on a partially torn ACL...never used it as an excuse, though it probably cost him the Heisman. As fine as a young man as you would ever care to meet. So out of place on that UO team. ; )

Pac-12 Offensive Freshman of the Year (Pac-12 Coaches)
Pac-12 All-Conference 1st Team (Pac-12 Coaches, ESPN.com, Phil Steele)
Pac-12 Academic All-Conference Honorable Mention
Honorable Mention All-America (SI.com)
Manning Award Finalist
Team’s Most Outstanding Player (Skeie’s Award)
Fiesta Bowl Offensive MVP (January 3, 2013)

Pac-12 All-Conference 1st Team (Pac-12 Coaches)
Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week (Pac-12 Coaches) Oct. 7
Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week (Pac-12 Coaches) Oct. 14
Team's Most Outstanding Player (Skeie's Award)
Team's Most Inspirational Player (Wilford Gonyea Award)
Alamo Bowl Offensive MVP
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:35 pm

HawkWow,

You know exactly what you have in Wilson, you have no idea what Mariota will do in the NFL. Why risk it? The QB is the most critical position on a team.

Plus, what happens if Mariota turns out to be great but his contract comes up and he wants market value? Get rid of him too? Take another chance that another QB will turn out ok?

You're always going to have at least one player who commands a top tier contract on any given team. I just can't believe you would want to play musical chairs with something we have never had before.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:36 pm

HawkWow wrote:
Distant Relative wrote:Love RW but 20 mil a year? Na, that will be to big of a cap hit. If you look at his stats for his first 2 years, no way he gets 20 mil. That said he still has one more year to show what he has. Take your Hawk fan glasses off and really think about it. Paying a QB that much limits the ability of the FO to surround RW with a solid O line and good receivers. It's pro football and it's real,.. tough decisions will have to made over the next few years!

My thought process exactly. Someone will have to go and it would make sense to maximize that departure. I may be mistaken, but don't we have a 4th year option on RW? Someone would likely give us a 1st for that final year.

I should say here again that I love Wilson. I just watched that NFLnet special with Phish and Wilson. I laughed out loud at times and got misty at others. Players / QBs come and go. It's something that has to be contended with...like losing a pet. If the number for RW is 20...we would save 15 mil a year by drafting Mariota, while adding another #1 in the RW trade. That's buys some serious weaponry. But I do understand people not wanting to move RW....aside from money, there's zero reason to. He's very special, like Mariota, but 6" shorter. ; ) here's a few of Mariota's accomplishments...after barely playing in HS. He played a generous portion of 2013 on a partially torn ACL...never used it as an excuse, though it probably cost him the Heisman. As fine as a young man as you would ever care to meet. So out of place on that UO team. ; )

Manning Award Finalist

Alamo Bowl Offensive MVP

Nice post HawkWow and I feel ya! But how in the Hell do you figure we would be able to pick up Mariota? Either a really bad 2014 season or giving up some high draft picks huh?
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:52 pm

HawkWow wrote:17.5 for Cutler? Dayum.

I would trade away our 1st this year to a team we feel will likely fail (Jax?) for their 1st next year. With 2 picks in the 1st rd of the 2015 draft, one very high, the other very low, I would then use them in any way necessary to draft Marcus Mariota.

I would groom Mariota under RW next year, then trade RW to the highest bidder at season's end (with at least 1 title under our belt!). As much as I love RW, and I do, I believe Mariota has similar qualities and perhaps even more upside. We would have him on a rookie deal for the next 4 years using saved money to take care of other players that are coming to the end of their contract and also to bring in FAs. Like many of you, I've seen a ton of college QBs and believe Mariota has the potential to be an all timer in the pros. And yes, I believe he has the potential to be even better than RW.

Before you get started, I encourage you to think analytically, with emotions aside. There is nothing "stupid" about what I am suggesting. People called my desire to draft Foles "stupid", too. Keep in mind, knowing RW isn't enough to intelligently argue this, you would need to know quite a bit about Mariota, too. I've watched his every play and know his background very well (going back to St Louis HS, Oahu).

RW is awesome but just because he's the best QB we've ever had, doesn't mean he's the best QB in history....or the future. Obviously I know this is not going to happen, just presenting what I think would be a sensible, if not great option. BUT..it wouldn't shock me if RW was a bit more gentle on us. If Buffalo (etc) is offering him 20...and we offer him 17, I think he stays in Seattle. That would also make me happy...especially if Mariota ends up in the AFC.

So we should give up our Franchise QB to gamble that Mariota is as good or better, and then if we are lucky and he is as good, when his deal is up do we trade him too, or pay him what at that pint would be 25+ mil for a QB. Yeah makes no sense at all, you give up a known entity for an unknown and either end up with nothing, or something that will cost you more then what you have, or you continue this game and keep hoping you get a franchise QB every 4 years, which as we all know they just grow on trees, and presume we can always trade up to get that hopeful franchise QB.

Yeah that makes no sense at all, please name me a team that has been able to win and do that, I am pretty sure the answer is no one.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:57 pm

Distant Relative wrote:
HawkWow wrote:

Manning Award Finalist

Alamo Bowl Offensive MVP

Nice post HawkWow and I feel ya! But how in the Hell do you figure we would be able to pick up Mariota? Either a really bad 2014 season or giving up some high draft picks huh?

I'm advocating us trading this year's 1 to a team that will likely falter, for their next year's 1. That gives us a very high #1 and a low #1...hopefully enough to get us the top spot, which is where Marcus will go. He put up 5,000 yrds this year (passing and rushing) and messed up his ACL back in October.

Mostly economics, Steady Hawk. Moving RW is not something I would want to do, but I wouldn't want to lose anyone on this team (almost). And I am so certain Mariota would be a our guy that yes, we would have to pay him market value at the end of his deal. Frankly, I really would make this trade if possible. We only have college to look at on Marcus...I agree. But his style will fit anywhere. I think he averages like 9 YPP and almost 8 YPC. Like Wilson, and to some degree Kaep, he don't take chances and seldom takes the direct hit. As rare as RW is, I believe Mariota's skill set is even more so. He's like the best of Tom Brady crossed with the best of Russell Wilson. The fact he went back for his sr year, because he felt he let UO down (with the ACL), also speaks volumes about him. He coulda' been the first player off the board in this draft...but stayed in school. Love the kid.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:03 pm

Anthony wrote:

So we should give up our Franchise QB to gamble that Mariota is as good or better, and then if we are lucky and he is as good, when his deal is up do we trade him too, or pay him what at that pint would be 25+ mil for a QB. Yeah makes no sense at all, you give up a known entity for an unknown and either end up with nothing, or something that will cost you more then what you have, or you continue this game and keep hoping you get a franchise QB every 4 years, which as we all know they just grow on trees, and presume we can always trade up to get that hopeful franchise QB.

Yeah that makes no sense at all, please name me a team that has been able to win and do that, I am pretty sure the answer is no one.

Breeeeathe Anthony, breeeeeathe. Don't get so upset. Pete and JS didn't ask me into the war room last year, so I'm thinking they won't ask me next year, either. You throw phrases like "franchise QB" around as though you believe there will never be another. I've been watching football now for about 45 years. I think I know a QB when I see one. I've seen very few better than Marcus Mariota...and he's just getting started. Have you considered Xanax, Anthony?
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:05 pm

Actually as of now given his first 2 years is way ahead of just about every top QB making 20 mil in their first 2 years yeah he does.

I mean he already holds the record for most wins in first 2 years, most rode wins, most home wins, end in most TDs. He has out played most of the 20 MIl QBs when you compare his first 2 years to their first 2 years. o me its pretty simple, Rw is better than Cutler and Romo, there for he should be paid better and that will be around 20 mil and if that is the going rate then pay him.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:09 pm

HawkWow wrote:
Anthony wrote:

Breeeeathe Anthony, breeeeeathe. Don't get so upset. Pete and JS didn't ask me into the war room last year, so I'm thinking they won't ask me next year, either. You throw phrases like "franchise QB" around as though you believe there will never be another. I've been watching football now for about 45 years. I think I know a QB when I see one. I've seen very few better than Marcus Mariota...and he's just getting started. Have you considered Xanax, Anthony?

Condescending remark aside you made a statement and I countered, glad you have been watching football for 45 years that puts you 5 behind me, but I am not going to tell you I am an expert, even though I even played the position. I am telling you franchise QBs do not grow on trees, if they did then every team would have one and they do not. I am glad you have seen very few better than Mariota, I believe some said the same about Leaf, remind me what happened there, oh year he was aweful. We have seen time and time again great college QB does not mean great Pro QB, so again glad your sure, but the reality is, it is just as possible he is not a good pro QB as he is. Until we see him in the a pro game we will not know. Now back to the point at hand, you do not give up a young Franchise QB in the hopes of finding another one, especially given that would mean in the draft and for us to even have a chance of getting a high enough pick or trading for it, we would need to be very very bad. So again really bad idea, you want to compete in the NFL today you need a franchise QB and we have one, as long as it is the going rate you keep him.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:19 pm

Honestly, I would be shocked if we are able to sign Wilson for anything under 20 Mil when we negotiate with him. As Anthony mentioned, he's broken records, may win a SB or even two before his first contract(ambitiously optimistic I know). I think you're probably looking at 22-25 Mil a year. I would do whatever it takes to retain him as well. That might spell the end of Sherman but I'd take Wilson over Sherman without hesitation.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:21 pm

Anthony wrote:

Actually as of now given his first 2 years is way ahead of just about every top QB making 20 mil in their first 2 years yeah he does.

I mean he already holds the record for most wins in first 2 years, most rode wins, most home wins, end in most TDs. He has out played most of the 20 MIl QBs when you compare his first 2 years to their first 2 years. o me its pretty simple, Rw is better than Cutler and Romo, there for he should be paid better and that will be around 20 mil and if that is the going rate then pay him.

Thanks for playing Anthony.
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:35 pm

Anthony wrote: So we should give up our Franchise QB to gamble that Mariota is as good or better, and then if we are lucky and he is as good, when his deal is up do we trade him too, or pay him what at that pint would be 25+ mil for a QB. Yeah makes no sense at all, you give up a known entity for an unknown and either end up with nothing, or something that will cost you more then what you have, or you continue this game and keep hoping you get a franchise QB every 4 years, which as we all know they just grow on trees, and presume we can always trade up to get that hopeful franchise QB.

Condescending remark aside you made a statement and I countered, glad you have been watching football for 45 years that puts you 5 behind me, but I am not going to tell you I am an expert, even though I even played the position. I am telling you franchise QBs do not grow on trees, if they did then every team would have one and they do not. I am glad you have seen very few better than Mariota, I believe some said the same about Leaf, remind me what happened there, oh year he was aweful. We have seen time and time again great college QB does not mean great Pro QB, so again glad your sure, but the reality is, it is just as possible he is not a good pro QB as he is. Until we see him in the a pro game we will not know. Now back to the point at hand, you do not give up a young Franchise QB in the hopes of finding another one, especially given that would mean in the draft and for us to even have a chance of getting a high enough pick or trading for it, we would need to be very very bad. So again really bad idea, you want to compete in the NFL today you need a franchise QB and we have one, as long as it is the going rate you keep him.[/quote]

No more snide than your (inaccurate) statement "this makes no sense at all". It makes lots of sense...dollars and cents, too. If you are comparing Mariota to Leaf...I think you and I have concluded this discussion. I never felt Leaf was can't miss and I watched that Coug a lot. Mariota is as can't miss as any QB that has ever come out in the draft. This you will one day see. I do apologize if I offended you...I was hoping for a well thought-out discussion between people that have paid close attention to Mariota and understand the dynamics he brings to the table. But in reality, I more expected this... and now just wish I'd not thought outside the box. Let's talk Cutler.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:39 pm

HawkWow wrote:
Anthony wrote: So we should give up our Franchise QB to gamble that Mariota is as good or better, and then if we are lucky and he is as good, when his deal is up do we trade him too, or pay him what at that pint would be 25+ mil for a QB. Yeah makes no sense at all, you give up a known entity for an unknown and either end up with nothing, or something that will cost you more then what you have, or you continue this game and keep hoping you get a franchise QB every 4 years, which as we all know they just grow on trees, and presume we can always trade up to get that hopeful franchise QB.

Condescending remark aside you made a statement and I countered, glad you have been watching football for 45 years that puts you 5 behind me, but I am not going to tell you I am an expert, even though I even played the position. I am telling you franchise QBs do not grow on trees, if they did then every team would have one and they do not. I am glad you have seen very few better than Mariota, I believe some said the same about Leaf, remind me what happened there, oh year he was aweful. We have seen time and time again great college QB does not mean great Pro QB, so again glad your sure, but the reality is, it is just as possible he is not a good pro QB as he is. Until we see him in the a pro game we will not know. Now back to the point at hand, you do not give up a young Franchise QB in the hopes of finding another one, especially given that would mean in the draft and for us to even have a chance of getting a high enough pick or trading for it, we would need to be very very bad. So again really bad idea, you want to compete in the NFL today you need a franchise QB and we have one, as long as it is the going rate you keep him.

No more snide than your (inaccurate) statement "this makes no sense at all". It makes lots of sense...dollars and cents, too. If you are comparing Mariota to Leaf...I think you and I have concluded this discussion. I never felt Leaf was can't miss and I watched that Coug a lot. Mariota is as can't miss as any QB that has ever come out in the draft. This you will one day see. I do apologize if I offended you...I was hoping for a well thought-out discussion between people that have paid close attention to Mariota and understand the dynamics he brings to the table. But in reality, I more expected this... and now just wish I'd not thought outside the box. Let's talk Cutler.[/quote]

Cutler Sucks!
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby Clem7 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:43 pm

When you consider how many teams are dysfunctional at the QB position this year, I would hesitate to play games so to speak with our QB situation. A lot can happen in a few years both positive and negative. Wilson will in all probability get better, we will probably be in the hunt seriously each year, may have a championship or two ; all of which would lead to Wilson staying in Seattle.

Look, I liked Hass, Krieg, and Zorn, but Wilson has the makings of blowing them out of the water.

And I believe that although physical qualities can be matched by others with Wilson, I think it is very very difficult to find the personality, leadership, work ethic, intelligence and team oriented qualities that are inherent in our guy. The "garden variety" QB doesn't match up. Unless a disaster occurs, we best pay and keep; or be sorry.
Clem7
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:50 pm

Getting back to the subject, if RW even just maintains this level of play the price will go up even more than it did this year.
This FO seems to have a financial plan and I'm sure they have considered having to pay a franchise QB. No need to sweat the price tag at this point.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:54 pm

Distant Relative wrote:
HawkWow wrote:

No more snide than your (inaccurate) statement "this makes no sense at all". It makes lots of sense...dollars and cents, too. If you are comparing Mariota to Leaf...I think you and I have concluded this discussion. I never felt Leaf was can't miss and I watched that Coug a lot. Mariota is as can't miss as any QB that has ever come out in the draft. This you will one day see. I do apologize if I offended you...I was hoping for a well thought-out discussion between people that have paid close attention to Mariota and understand the dynamics he brings to the table. But in reality, I more expected this... and now just wish I'd not thought outside the box. Let's talk Cutler.

Cutler Sucks![/quote]

The difference is mine was not personnel I just said your suggestion made no sense you spoke specifically about me, and it still makes no sense because once again you cannot guarantee Mariota is a franchise QB so its a huge gamble, and if you wrong its not just the loss of our franchise QB but draft picks, presuming we could even find a way to make that trade. Of course even if we did we would be in the same situation 3 years later only the price for a franchise QB will have gone up[ and it will cost us even more or would we just gamble again? As to your feelings about Cutler whether he sucks or not is not the issue the issue is look how much he got paid and how much better RW is than him and there you go. My point on lead was while you never thought he was a can't miss other did, and again most of them have more background in this than you do. I am glad you are so sure, I am not and would not be willing to risk the future of this franchise on your opinion. I am betting the hawks will not either.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:04 pm

Clem7 wrote:When you consider how many teams are dysfunctional at the QB position this year, I would hesitate to play games so to speak with our QB situation. A lot can happen in a few years both positive and negative. Wilson will in all probability get better, we will probably be in the hunt seriously each year, may have a championship or two ; all of which would lead to Wilson staying in Seattle.

Look, I liked Hass, Krieg, and Zorn, but Wilson has the makings of blowing them out of the water.

And I believe that although physical qualities can be matched by others with Wilson, I think it is very very difficult to find the personality, leadership, work ethic, intelligence and team oriented qualities that are inherent in our guy. The "garden variety" QB doesn't match up. Unless a disaster occurs, we best pay and keep; or be sorry.

100%. And the Wilson intangibles you mention are shared by Mariota. Mariota can do everything RW does, the opposite cannot be said for Wilson, IMO. I can't think of another college prospect that I would consider such a deal.

Before people get too upset...this is basically what I am suggesting:

We use Wilson for 3 years. Before he requires 20+, we trade his option year (if that's allowed) for a 1st.

Then activate his back up (Mariota), who I believe is better than Andrew Luck, and will have a year of grooming behind him.

It's really not that crazy. I do understand (I guess) why some would get upset over such talk. But that's all it is. Discussion on a discussion board.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Clem7 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:12 pm

HawkWow wrote:
Clem7 wrote:When you consider how many teams are dysfunctional at the QB position this year, I would hesitate to play games so to speak with our QB situation. A lot can happen in a few years both positive and negative. Wilson will in all probability get better, we will probably be in the hunt seriously each year, may have a championship or two ; all of which would lead to Wilson staying in Seattle.

100%. And the Wilson intangibles you mention are shared by Mariota. Mariota can do everything RW does, the opposite cannot be said for Wilson, IMO. I can't think of another college prospect that I would consider such a deal.

We use Wilson for 3 years. Before he requires 20+, we trade his option year (if that's allowed) for a 1st.

Then activate his back up (Mariota), who I believe is better than Andrew Luck, and will have a year of grooming behind him.

It's really not that crazy. I do understand (I guess) why some would get upset over such talk. But that's all it is. Discussion on a discussion board.

Well, not upset here, HawkWow, just my 2 cents. Interesting proposition, but still with my 2 cents.
Clem7
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:20 pm

And Jack is back.......LOL
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:22 pm

"As to your feelings about Cutler whether he sucks or not is not the issue the issue is look how much he got paid and how much better RW is than him and there you go. My point on lead was while you never thought he was a can't miss other did, and again most of them have more background in this than you do. I am glad you are so sure, I am not and would not be willing to risk the future of this franchise on your opinion. I am betting the hawks will not either".[/quote] ~ Anthony.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I think you're getting a bit confused, Anthony. I didn't say Cutler sucks (though I do agree with DR's statement). You are not risking anything, Anthony. You are merely a fan, like myself. And before I say good-bye... No, the Hawks won't make this move based on my "opinion". It really hurts when you say such things, but dammit, I have to agree with you. They will probably use their own judgment, like they so often, selfishly do. What do ya' say we drop this? It's not productive and it's turned into something I hoped it wouldn't. Happy new year.

Understood, Clem7. I appreciate your level headed disagreement. I didn't suspect anyone would say.."Hell yeah, let's get this done". I was just presenting an option for discussion. Now I will go punch myself in the sack and write a note of apology to RW.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:33 pm

HawkWow wrote:

Okay let me help you out

Again this is all a huge gamble as despite your qualifications, we have no way of knowing if Mariota is a NFL Franchise QB, to me this sound more like your in love with Mariota, than a legitimate possibility, given the HUGE gamble it would be. Again besides that we would not have RW for 3 years before he becomes an FA as Rw only has 2 years left on his deal after this year. So basically with Mariota returning to Oregon, if we even took him it would be next year, and RW would have 1 year left on his contract which if this was used to allow your boy to "learn" under Rw we would not be able to trade him as he would already be an FA and we would get nothing except the hope that your boy is as good as you say. If he is great except then we would be in the same mess in 4 years only by then the going rate will be closer to 28 mil and we just cost ourselves even more, if not we are screwed, as we have no franchise QB and lost draft picks as well. So again makes no sense, at all. Basically we should take a chance on loosing our proven franchise QB and face of the franchise, so we can try to trade up to get another QB who may or may not be a franchise QB, knowing getting him means no chance at keeping our current proven franchise QB, and also only having 1 year of over lap. The only way to make that happen would be to trade RW with one year left before FA, to a team with a high draft pick to get your boy, and again hope he is a franchise QB, and realize in 4 years we are in the same boat again only the price will have gone up 8+ mil.

Yeah again way to big a gamble, with way to much risk, and makes no sense at all.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:34 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:And Jack is back.......LOL

Your kidding right? Please say you kidding.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:57 pm

I refuse to believe this.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:52 pm

THIS.

Steady_Hawk wrote:HawkWow,

You know exactly what you have in Wilson, you have no idea what Mariota will do in the NFL. Why risk it? The QB is the most critical position on a team.

Plus, what happens if Mariota turns out to be great but his contract comes up and he wants market value? Get rid of him too? Take another chance that another QB will turn out ok?

You're always going to have at least one player who commands a top tier contract on any given team. I just can't believe you would want to play musical chairs with something we have never had before.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:02 am

I've always believed that QBs that make it to the NFL have the necessary physical tools to play the position but what separates them is what's between their ears.

We would be taking a big gamble not to mention the learning curve of years for Mariota to mature enough to be on the same level that Wilson is currently on. Keep in mind Lynch will in all probability be gone so the run game may not be as dominant during Mariota's formative years.

It's an interesting proposal, but I don't think it's worth the risk.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby PACHawk » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:05 am

When it's time, pay him what he is owed. We have been looking for too many years to let this one get away.
PACHawk
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:13 am

Didn't. See. This. Coming. At. All.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:36 am

I'm usually in agreement with you on most things, Hawkwow, but this one I'm in the opposite corner.

I would not allow myself to get too hyped up about any quarterback prospect coming out of Oregon. How many have we seen over the years since Dan Fouts played there? Well, there's Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, Dennis Dixon, Kellen Clemons, and Darren Thomas, all highly thought of at one point in their college careers, and not a one of them did anything in the NFL. The type of offense Oregon runs does not lend itself to an NFL quarterback factory, like Stanford or Miami has had. Masoli would be a project at best. Russell was as pro ready of a quarterback as we've seen in recent years, more pro ready than Andrew Luck IMO. Masoli's prospects does not justify letting Russell Wilson go. It's that simple.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:41 am

RiverDog wrote:

I'm usually in agreement with you on most things, Hawkwow, but this one I'm in the opposite corner.

I would not allow myself to get too hyped up about any quarterback prospect coming out of Oregon. How many have we seen over the years since Dan Fouts played there? Well, there's Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, Dennis Dixon, Kellen Clemons, and Darren Thomas, all highly thought of at one point in their college careers, and not a one of them did anything in the NFL. The type of offense Oregon runs does not lend itself to an NFL quarterback factory, like Stanford or Miami has had. Masoli would be a project at best. Russell was as pro ready of a quarterback as we've seen in recent years, more pro ready than Andrew Luck IMO. Masoli's prospects does not justify letting Russell Wilson go. It's that simple.

Back to the OP. I, too, was flabbergasted about the amount of money the Bears threw at Cutler. I thought Romo's contract was unjustified, but this one makes absolutely no sense. Cutler was getting outplayed by his replacement, and speculation was that the Bears might dump him. I guess this year's QB class must be pretty weak.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:04 am

By the time we can re-sign DangerRuss $20M per will just be the price of doing business in the NFL if you want to keep doing so with an elite QB.

You really think we're gonna cheap out now?
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:44 am

I'm sure they will offer Wilson a reasonable contract after next year.
PFT suggested Cutler got the Franchise Tag numbers minus a slight discount.

Whether Wilson agrees to a slight discount depends on whether he really likes it here, if he thinks the team can consistently compete, and if he believes money isn't the most important thing. Considering PC gave him the opportunity to truly compete regardless of his measurables when other teams passed him by twice, he might just take a $20 million/year deal or maybe less.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:08 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:By the time we can re-sign DangerRuss $20M per will just be the price of doing business in the NFL if you want to keep doing so with an elite QB.

You really think we're gonna cheap out now?

Exactly, Bob. The price of a franchise qb will be what it is and RW deserves and will get it. It actually might be very good timing when we do get to resign him. The cap isn't supposed to go up for a few more years and we should be able to resign him before it starts to steadily increase. Over time the price we pay for RW will look small compared to what the next crop of Franchise qb's get. 17 mil is a lot for what Culter has done, but they aren't paying him for what he has done they are paying him for what they think he can do. Obviously Trestman likes Culter and thinks he will be a very good QB in his system.
mykc14
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum