Top Quarterback as Viewed by Sherman

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Top Quarterback as Viewed by Sherman

Postby PACHawk » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:08 pm

Richard Sherman article...http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/03/richard-s ... rterbacks/ ranking the top quarterbacks. You mad bro?? I'll take Brady over Luck.
PACHawk
Legacy

Re: Top Quarterback as Viewed by Sherman

Postby Steady_Hawk » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:40 pm

Cool piece man, thanks for posting it!
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:10 pm

Nice comment about Manning throwing Ducks. Sherm is already giving the talking heads a full story for the Super Bowl hype. ;)
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby monkey » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:12 pm

Every article he's written has been terrific.
I get a kick out of reading the moronic comments. Some of them show such a deep lack of understanding of football, and such a lack of reading comprehension, it's a wonder to me that those people can operate a computer.
monkey
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:18 pm

monkey wrote:Every article he's written has been terrific.
I get a kick out of reading the moronic comments. Some of them show such a deep lack of understanding of football, and such a lack of reading comprehension, it's a wonder to me that those people can operate a computer.

But c'mon, my simian brutha: Isn't that kind of the point???

I don't know many computer-savvy Edward Snowden-lookalikes who've ever gotten dirty on real grass, myself.

Madden dudn't count.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:56 pm

Sherm is just saying what most of us have been saying for a long time. Manning throwing wobbly lame duck looking passes isn't something new, towards the end of the year, Manning threw a tight spiral and I kept replaying it over and over again, because I cannot remember the last time I saw him throw one.... It is kind of fun, watching his career Highlights, one out of maybe every twenty is a spiral ( and I think I am being generous there. LOL). Don't matter HOW it gets there, just as long as it does....
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:42 am

Pack,

Thanks for the link! Much obliged! No way I would have caught that.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:55 am

monkey wrote:Every article he's written has been terrific.

Sherman's no dummy. He went to Stanford. They don't let stupid people into that place, even football jocks. Unless they've changed something recently, they don't even allow physical education as a major.

I can't disagree a lot with his list, although I do think he was intentionally taunting Brady by putting Russell and Luck ahead of him. Experience counts for a lot in a rating like this.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby PACHawk » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:50 am

....you guys are welcome! Title of the article is actually "smartest" QB which I equated to "best". Cann't go wrong with Peyton as #1 ...the smartest AND best! I guess there are some QBs that have football smarts, but not the talent. However, all QBs on list are darn good!
PACHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:32 pm

PACHawk wrote:....you guys are welcome! Title of the article is actually "smartest" QB which I equated to "best". Cann't go wrong with Peyton as #1 ...the smartest AND best! I guess there are some QBs that have football smarts, but not the talent. However, all QBs on list are darn good!

I understood the question to be related to football smarts, but if it were taken literally, the smartest quarterback would have to be Ryan Fitzpatrick. If I am not mistaken, he's the only player to score a perfect 50 on the Wonderlich
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:36 pm

Application to the football field I think matters in this instance, as Fitz hasn't really done that, I think it lowered his ranking...LOL
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby PACHawk » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:25 am

Definitely football smart that translates on the field...or this list would be filled with old back-up . Gabbert scored very high http://www.bestmastersdegrees.com/smartest-players/ ..., but much rather have our RW.
PACHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:44 am

PACHawk wrote:Definitely football smart that translates on the field...or this list would be filled with old back-up . Gabbert scored very high http://www.bestmastersdegrees.com/smartest-players/ ..., but much rather have our RW.

That's a nice link, PACHawk, and in general, I agree with its conclusion, ie that the smarter a person is, the more likely they are going to 'make it' in the NFL.

But I'm a little dubious about some of its information. Several years back, the NFL quit disclosing the Wonderlic scores of players they tested at the scouting combine, so I don't know where they are getting the scores for Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, and some of the other more recent players. I recognize some of those scores as having come from the combine, such as I remember Eli Manning's 39 and Jake Locker's 20, which occurred before the NFL started banning their disclosure. But where did Russell's 28 come from? He tested after the NFL instituted a policy that strictly prohibits any NFL team from disclosing Wonderlic scores.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... lic-scores
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:48 am

RiverDog wrote:
PACHawk wrote:Definitely football smart that translates on the field...or this list would be filled with old back-up . Gabbert scored very high http://www.bestmastersdegrees.com/smartest-players/ ..., but much rather have our RW.

That's a nice link, PACHawk, and in general, I agree with its conclusion, ie that the smarter a person is, the more likely they are going to 'make it' in the NFL.

But I'm a little dubious about some of its information. Several years back, the NFL quit disclosing the Wonderlic scores of players they tested at the scouting combine, so I don't know where they are getting the scores for Russell Wilson, RG3, and some of the other more recent players. I recognize some of those scores as having come from the combine, such as I remember Eli Manning's 39 and Jake Locker's 20, which occurred before the NFL started banning their disclosure. But where did Russell's 28 or RG3's 24 come from? They tested after the NFL instituted a policy that strictly prohibits any NFL team from disclosing Wonderlic scores. Did they come from the combine like the older quarterback's did, or did they come from some other source? If they didn't all come from the same source, or at the very least, a source we can trust as being credible, then IMO the results are not comparable.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... lic-scores
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:05 am

Well written article. But I wouldn't really consider it a QB ranking without Tom Brady. Not so unintentional dig there. The guy had two or three of the best comebacks of his career this year, and he's been throwing to nobody's. Funny that Peyton is ranked ahead of him at #2 when Tom came back from 24 points to beat him. I guess we're all homers - you and I, and Sherman too :D .
Futureite
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum