Percy

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Percy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:05 pm

The loyalty of some of these posters is just so misplaced. And like you said...just do a bit of research before calling someone else a "liar" for citing his antics, which IMO, are worse than anything we ever saw from Terel (sp?) Owens. I admitted over there that I am a hypocrite because IF Harvin ends up killing it for us, I will be glad he's a Hawk, but I will wrestle with that as well. The guy should not be rewarded for his antics that date back to Florida...and worse after.

Very nice that we can discuss this issue here (intelligently). My biggest fear is likely shared by some in here. Harvin has the potential to ruin our chemistry...thinking otherwise would be naïve. Tate didn't want him here and you have to think that by now, if the Hawk docs did say he could play this year but he chose not to, I'm sure other players are not happy with him, or his 40% practice history, as well. I'm still hopeful he will get it together and bless us with that unbelievable talent, but I've seen absolutely nothing from him that makes me comfortable in thinking that will happen.

The usual defense of Harvin's 'tude is to claim that Pete's style and personality can tame a shrew, that there isn't a soul on this planet that he can't turn around and that despite Harvin's past history, he'll fit like a glove with his new teammates. Another defense is to claim that no one in the Vikings locker room got along with Brad Childress or how Russell Wilson ain't no Christain Ponder so he won't have any problems with the starting QB like he did in Minnesota.

And who knows, all that may, indeed, be true. But like you say, there hasn't been anything positive to counter balance all the bad things we've heard about him, and the longer he sits on the sidelines, the more confidence fans like us are going to lose in him. I've already seen a change in attitude in some corners. People are getting anxious, fearing a bust and wasted draft picks.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:29 am

We just have a very bizarre fan base, but probably like the rest, I don't know.

If we signed Aaron Hernandez tomorrow, there would be 1000 "fans" saying things like "Hernandez is just misunderstood" and "he's never killed a team mate, that I know of, so who cares"???

The question none of those tards will ever answer for me is this : If Harvin had chosen SF over Seattle, what would your opinion of him be, and what would you be saying about him, today"? If it is anything different than what they are currently saying about him, they are not the type of people I wish to converse with.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:57 am

Players like Harvin want to win badly and a lot of their ammo for complaint can be removed by the team being successful.
The problem arises down the road should this team continue to be successful in that those types of players then want to be the focal point of the team.
That's when attitude can become a problem that affects the team.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:40 am

People are starting to really wonder just what exactly is the deal with Percy Harvin?

and deservedly so.

And what are we to make about this comment about Percy from Pete Carroll two days ago?

“Not at this moment. Nothing’s changed,” Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll said Wednesday. “We’ll just see if we can get him back to work and get him on the field.”
Last edited by savvyman on Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:41 am

NorthHawk wrote:Players like Harvin want to win badly and a lot of their ammo for complaint can be removed by the team being successful.
The problem arises down the road should this team continue to be successful in that those types of players then want to be the focal point of the team.
That's when attitude can become a problem that affects the team.

Not suggesting you are saying this, but I never have bought into the idea that Harvin, in this example, "just wanted to win". The Vikes were winning and at one point, just one play away from the SB. If all Harvin wanted to do is win, as many claim, he would have practiced more, played more and not demanded to be traded every time the team sneezed without his permission. There are many ways attitude can destroy chemistry. Harvin, along with his mentor, Randy Moss, should co-write a book on the subject.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:52 am

I was both excited & concerned about the Harvin signing last spring. The only thing that's changed since my initial reaction is the increased %age of concern. Concern that he is ready to go and is waiting for bigger games, concern that he isn't ready & consistently won't be throughout his term as a Hawk....and we gave him lots of cheddar and gave up significant draft pix. My single biggest concern, however, is that he comes in and jacks wit the mojo. I'm not biting my nails or rocking in a corner concerned, but I certainly remember what Joey GoAway's return did to our 8 & 2 start some years ago. I do think this is a tighter knit squad and more talented group across the board (including leadership from the players, coaching staff & FO etc). But as a long time Hawk fan - I remember.

In the end, only time will tell. Beast Mode had "character flaws" big enough to make teams shy away from him and he couldn't be a better asset (player, hard-worker, teammate, friend and shared face o the franchise.). PH can do that too; I'm hoping he does, & that if the chemistry changes at all... it's for the better.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:09 am

HawkWow wrote:
RiverDog wrote:Percy Harvin, if nothing else, has become a great gauge in separating the football fan from the Seahawk fan. When you get a poster with 8,000 posts, dating back to 2007, commenting that he has "never heard of Harvin having character issues (and) anyone that says he has is lying", you know you've found a person you don't want to discuss football with. Or the weather, for that matter.

Boy, no kidding. I wish people would do a little bit of research about a player before they blindly defend him, Seahawk or no Seahawk. Whether you agree with the trade or not, you'd be an ignoramus if you didn't admit that Harvin's character issues made him a significant risk. When I tried to point out the risk the guy put himself and our team in when he got himself arrested for suspicion of DUI last spring, some jack wagon would start arguing about semantics, saying that since he was not charged I shouldn't be going around saying that he was arrested, as if the incident never happened.

The loyalty of some of these posters is just so misplaced. And like you said...just do a bit of research before calling someone else a "liar" for citing his antics, which IMO, are worse than anything we ever saw from Terel (sp?) Owens. I admitted over there that I am a hypocrite because IF Harvin ends up killing it for us, I will be glad he's a Hawk, but I will wrestle with that as well. The guy should not be rewarded for his antics that date back to Florida...and worse after.

Very nice that we can discuss this issue here (intelligently). My biggest fear is likely shared by some in here. Harvin has the potential to ruin our chemistry...thinking otherwise would be naïve. Tate didn't want him here and you have to think that by now, if the Hawk docs did say he could play this year but he chose not to, I'm sure other players are not happy with him, or his 40% practice history, as well. I'm still hopeful he will get it together and bless us with that unbelievable talent, but I've seen absolutely nothing from him that makes me comfortable in thinking that will happen.

Does anyone know what Harvin's level of participation is with the team? I don't see him on the sidelines but I'm hopeful he at least shows up for film and meetings...but I don't know. The funniest thing I've seen thus far regarding Harvin, is one poster (over there), prior to the Giants game asked "Since Harvin is in NY already...will he go somewhere else when the team gets there"? LMAO.

Thanks for the welcome EagleHawk!

I have my reservations about the guy. Obviously, Harvin knows that he has to earn his respect in that locker room. And with a hard working team like the Seahawks, if he did the same things like that 40 percent practice nonsense, he would be laughed off the team. And Pete would take the hit in that scenario cause you cut out the cancer and the patient survives. (An expensive operation admittedly).
Hopefully they did their due diligence with the guy and he bounces back either during the playoffs or next season.

Didn't you guys notice that on his one return(Harvin), the heavens opened and he had a lane large enough to drive a Mack truck through? Was that just me because I have never ever seen such a lane open up for Tate during any other play that I can remember this season. That's a side point but just strange. As you said, he is loaded with talent, until now though, we have nothing.

Seahawkwow, you're welcome bro!
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:34 am

We will se Harvin in the playoffs, IMHO.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:30 am

Eaglehawk wrote:
HawkWow wrote:
RiverDog wrote:Percy Harvin, if nothing else, has become a great gauge in separating the football fan from the Seahawk fan. When you get a poster with 8,000 posts, dating back to 2007, commenting that he has "never heard of Harvin having character issues (and) anyone that says he has is lying", you know you've found a person you don't want to discuss football with. Or the weather, for that matter.

Boy, no kidding. I wish people would do a little bit of research about a player before they blindly defend him, Seahawk or no Seahawk. Whether you agree with the trade or not, you'd be an ignoramus if you didn't admit that Harvin's character issues made him a significant risk. When I tried to point out the risk the guy put himself and our team in when he got himself arrested for suspicion of DUI last spring, some jack wagon would start arguing about semantics, saying that since he was not charged I shouldn't be going around saying that he was arrested, as if the incident never happened.

Does anyone know what Harvin's level of participation is with the team? I don't see him on the sidelines but I'm hopeful he at least shows up for film and meetings...but I don't know. The funniest thing I've seen thus far regarding Harvin, is one poster (over there), prior to the Giants game asked "Since Harvin is in NY already...will he go somewhere else when the team gets there"? LMAO.

Thanks for the welcome EagleHawk!

I have my reservations about the guy. Obviously, Harvin knows that he has to earn his respect in that locker room. And with a hard working team like the Seahawks, if he did the same things like that 40 percent practice nonsense, he would be laughed off the team. And Pete would take the hit in that scenario cause you cut out the cancer and the patient survives. (An expensive operation admittedly).
Hopefully they did their due diligence with the guy and he bounces back either during the playoffs or next season.

Didn't you guys notice that on his one return(Harvin), the heavens opened and he had a lane large enough to drive a Mack truck through? Was that just me because I have never ever seen such a lane open up for Tate during any other play that I can remember this season. That's a side point but just strange. As you said, he is loaded with talent, until now though, we have nothing.

Seahawkwow, you're welcome bro!

LOL...When I saw Harvin zip through that valley, I said to my bro...no wonder Harvin insisted on returning a kick vs his old team mates. Their Rolex's will be fed-ex'd to them tomorrow. Joking aside, he sure did show that old burst and that gave me a flicker of hope (since extinguished).
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:47 pm

After that KO return of Harvin's vs. Minny I said over at The Blue how it was a nice display of speed but that the hole was so big that any of a large number of KO returners could have duplicated that feat and they all freaked.

They're really being mum on Harvin. Pete looks gloomy whenever the subject is brought up, doesn't want to talk about it, very unusual for Pete as he usually OD's on superlatives in those news conferences. The guy makes a brief appearance a month ago, suffers no apparent injury, and hasn't even practiced since? I smell a fish.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:29 pm

..and speaking of Fish...Percy is likely yachting in the Caribbean about now.

We're not done yet...and I sure hope we don't NEED the win next week. FFS. 3 pts off 3 turnovers to end the 3rd. Ridiculous.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Seahawker » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:06 pm

There are so many things this could be about and it's likely a mixture of 2 or 3.

1) Percy's hip is not 100% perfect.

2) They are worried about losing guaranteed money.

3) Roster spots. With WTIII coming back they are on a positional injury watch, trying to field the optimum playoff roster.

4) Pete is playing Belichek mind games to have an ace in the hole come playoffs.

5) Harvin's not in game shape.

6) Percy is holding out because he really wants to wear #12 and 11 just doesn't feel right.

1-3 maybe.
Seahawker
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:16 pm

I'll go #1 for $100, Seahawker.

If Harvin is less than 100%, he's not willing to play through anything resembling pain. A headache, for example, or perhaps an undetectable virus...like the one that forced the Minnesota team plane to divert to another airport so that Harvin could disembark (and miss the game).

I hope to hell I'm wrong, but I have a hunch 'Mini-Moss' is playin' us.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:08 am

We sure could have used him, or someone like him, today. Even if he didn't catch a pass, he could be taking pressure off Tate and Baldwin.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:42 am

RiverDog wrote:We sure could have used him, or someone like him, today. Even if he didn't catch a pass, he could be taking pressure off Tate and Baldwin.

This is just horrible! We need him so friggen bad right now.

Hurry it up Percy!
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:36 pm

He is definitely capable of bringing a dimension to the team that we've not known since Galloway. And even more so. This is a huge opportunity for Harvin to dispel many notions about him. He has been the selfish little...uh, bad guy since UF but has been blessed with this chance to ride up on a white horse and put all of that behind him, creating a fresh start. Despite my feelings for the guy (on a personal basis), I sincerely hope he sux it up and delivers. Our window is getting smaller and smaller. JUST DO IT PERCY! ; )
HawkWow
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum