Percy

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Percy

Postby Hawkstar » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:07 pm

So... will see him again this season? I was drinking the Kool-aid on him being very close and perhaps we were saving him for the play-offs. I'm not believing any of it now. My gut says they shut him down. (btw - my gut is rarely correct..)

Sure was a tease to see how effective he was during the few plays he was on the field.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Re: Percy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:21 pm

I hope we get to see him - and he's healthy enough to take the punishment of playing in the NFL.
If he isn't ready then let's hope he's healthy next year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:40 pm

I think I heard something about him possibly hyper extending something in the hip joint. Basically, something is loose that shouldn't be and that could possibly require a surgery to fix that issue as well. Percy has to be the most frustrating player we have ever had. The guy is dripping with talent, possibly the most dangerous player in the NFL and HE ISN'T PLAYING!!!!!!!! It's agonizing.

My dad and I talk a lot about the Hawks and we both agree how amazing it is that this team has Russell Wilson, which we both feel is irreplaceable and may become the best QB in the league(if he isn't already). Marshawn Lynch who may be the best RB in Seattle's history and may be the best RB in the league this year. Then, to top it off we acquired Percy Harvin. Pete Carroll's unicorn. The guy he couldn't get out of college, and the one guy he said who's blistering speed actually translated into the NFL, unlike Reggie Bush.

What a trio. That's like a team having Peyton Manning, Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson. :o
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:34 pm

I'm almost to the point of either telling Harvin to man up and play through the pain or shut him down for the rest of the season and move on without him. I'm getting tired of this day-by-day, slow strip tease drama that has been occurring every day for nearly 2 months. No Seahawk in our team's history has gathered more off field headlines while not being on the field than has Percy Harvin.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:57 pm

I think what happened to RGIII last year has really affected the decision making for NFL teams on not rushing your elite players back to the game until they have completely healed. Look how long the Packers are taking with Rodgers.

Percy Harvin is an elite player.

However, so far to date this trade has been a complete bust for us.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:31 pm

savvyman wrote:I think what happened to RGIII last year has really affected the decision making for NFL teams on not rushing your elite players back to the game until they have completely healed. Look how long the Packers are taking with Rodgers.

Percy Harvin is an elite player.

However, so far to date this trade has been a complete bust for us.

Lucky for us "so far" is not the appropriate measure of the size and length contract we signed him to. If we're in this same situation next year maybe ...
Last edited by c_hawkbob on Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby yoder » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Percy reminds me of my friends BMW M5. I could never afford one (and I'm more than happy with my '86 Toyota Pickup), but he did let me drive it a few weeks ago. Oh man, it was one hell of a sweet ride. The faster you go, the better it handled the road. I've never driven a car with so much power, speed and authority.

The only downside, they've had it in the shop 3 times within the last 2 months.

I love my truck.
yoder
Site Admin

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:06 pm

My BMW 300 series had problems as well. Expensive ones. But, once it was good, it was good for 8 months straight. No problems.
Recurring problems happened with mine, heat radiator. And other stuff that is a pain to fix, and not cheap.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:37 am

It ain't lookin' good for Percy this year, is it.

If at all possible, but especially in the playoffs, it'd be great to see him out there, if only as a decoy on a few plays. Anything extra we have to create just a shred of doubt in the opponent and their D coordinator would help. I understand, though, that we may not even have him activated for a game unless he can contribute more than that.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Clem7 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:59 pm

I will be surprised if he is done for the year. I expect and hope to have him in the playoffs.
Clem7
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:05 pm

Percy would certainly open up the game for Lynch in the early going. It's crazy how long it takes our O to get cranked up.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:55 pm

I don't want to see Percy coming back this season. I want to win the SB without him. He has contributed absolutely nothing to our 12-2 record and inside track to HFA, except for one pass reception and one KO return in a single blowout win over a non playoff team. All he has been is a huge distraction that keeps someone more deserving off the roster. It would be a huge injustice for someone like Steve Largent to toil away for over a decade and never get a ring then see someone like Percy Harvin get awarded one for not doing Jack chit.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:21 am

RiverDog wrote:I don't want to see Percy coming back this season. I want to win the SB without him. He has contributed absolutely nothing to our 12-2 record and inside track to HFA, except for one pass reception and one KO return in a single blowout win over a non playoff team. All he has been is a huge distraction that keeps someone more deserving off the roster. It would be a huge injustice for someone like Steve Largent to toil away for over a decade and never get a ring then see someone like Percy Harvin get awarded one for not doing Jack chit.

lol, well, that's one way of looking at it.

In terms of being a distraction, I have to disagree there, because it hasn't affected the way we've played this season - at all. We've won without him, which is a good thing, because now the team knows they are a championship calibre group as is.

That said, it'd sure help secure our first Lombardi if he were playing. His kick returning abilities alone could make a noticeable difference come playoff time, giving our offense better field position to start. He's a game breaker type player, when healthy. I get the frustration, but if he somehow contributes to the Seahawks winning it all this year, then he's deserving of being fitted for a ring.

Will he play? Ain't lookin' good, that's for sure. Do I wish he could? Abosolutely.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:27 am

I'm speaking from a purely emotional standpoint. Percy doesn't deserve a ring. Give it to somebody on the practice squad that holds up tackling dummies. They've made a larger contribution than Percy has.

But of course, I want to see him come back and make a contribution. I'd make a pact with the Devil himself to get a Lombardi.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:45 am

It's all good.

We all want that 1st trophy - and more after that:)
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:12 am

Hawkstar wrote:Percy would certainly open up the game for Lynch in the early going. It's crazy how long it takes our O to get cranked up.

Not sure if having Percy would change the slow starts, I think it is more about play calling than anything. The OC seems to play it very very safe and conservative at first and then only opens it up if need be.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:17 am

Anthony wrote:
Hawkstar wrote:Percy would certainly open up the game for Lynch in the early going. It's crazy how long it takes our O to get cranked up.

Not sure if having Percy would change the slow starts, I think it is more about play calling than anything. The OC seems to play it very very safe and conservative at first and then only opens it up if need be.

Agreed. We always seem to open up by running the ball and throwing little short dump off passes. It's not a bad strategy. Kinda hard to argue against it when we're 12-2. I'm OK with Bevell's play calling.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:05 am

RiverDog wrote:
Anthony wrote:

Agreed. We always seem to open up by running the ball and throwing little short dump off passes. It's not a bad strategy. Kinda hard to argue against it when we're 12-2. I'm OK with Bevell's play calling.

Fair point. My thinking is just the threat of Percy lined up in the slot has to take some of the focus on 24 and may allow him one less guy to deal with. I'm not sure our other guys command the same defensive respect that Percy does.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby Oly » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:42 am

RiverDog wrote:I don't want to see Percy coming back this season. I want to win the SB without him. He has contributed absolutely nothing to our 12-2 record and inside track to HFA, except for one pass reception and one KO return in a single blowout win over a non playoff team. All he has been is a huge distraction that keeps someone more deserving off the roster. It would be a huge injustice for someone like Steve Largent to toil away for over a decade and never get a ring then see someone like Percy Harvin get awarded one for not doing Jack chit.

I can see where you're coming from, but if he can contribute in the SB then I'm fine with him getting the ring. Even if the Hawks were unbeaten going in to the SB, they still need to win that game, and if Percy contributes in the SB then he flat out deserves the ring, IMO.

That said, I don't feel frustrated with him at all for missing time--that's just part of a physical game--so it's probably easier for me to have this opinion than if I was also frustrated with his season.
Oly
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:02 pm

yoder wrote:Percy reminds me of my friends BMW M5. I could never afford one (and I'm more than happy with my '86 Toyota Pickup), but he did let me drive it a few weeks ago. Oh man, it was one hell of a sweet ride. The faster you go, the better it handled the road. I've never driven a car with so much power, speed and authority.

The only downside, they've had it in the shop 3 times within the last 2 months.

I love my truck.

Nothing wrong with a "reliable" automobile, but when you need that extra boost, power or speed, it sure is nice to be able to drop the hammer. Until the Hawks say he is done, I will wait, if he plays not a single down this regular season, but helps win a title, I am content with the trade, and even should he not play at all this season, but helps win a title in the future, I still will feel it was a good move. Just a difference of priorities, I am ok waiting for the good, and am willing to accept the bad to get there a LOT of people want immediate dividends and returns, fast food or 5 star meal mentality is part of society. I don't want the big mack any longer, I want the damn fillet minon ..... LOL
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby THX-1138 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:44 pm

Oly wrote:

I can see where you're coming from, but if he can contribute in the SB then I'm fine with him getting the ring. Even if the Hawks were unbeaten going in to the SB, they still need to win that game, and if Percy contributes in the SB then he flat out deserves the ring, IMO.

That said, I don't feel frustrated with him at all for missing time--that's just part of a physical game--so it's probably easier for me to have this opinion than if I was also frustrated with his season.

Completely agree, Oly. To be honest, since he's been out for just about all of the season I forget that Percy is on the team. Winning 12 of 14 will do that. I realize that his contract is a drain on the Seahawks finances but as they say it 'aint my money. So I don't care. Would it be great to have Percy on the field and doing crazy amazing stuff and watch the other teams' defenses be completely baffled? Oh yes. Will I get my panties in a bunch if I don't see Harvin again this year? Probably not. Even if everything does not go as I totally believe it will. This team has gotten this far without him.
THX-1138
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:29 pm

Sadly, I have watched this video like 20 times to make up for the missed time on the field. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxFVSLbQq-I
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:11 pm

Fair point. My thinking is just the threat of Percy lined up in the slot has to take some of the focus on 24 and may allow him one less guy to deal with. I'm not sure our other guys command the same defensive respect that Percy does.

I agree. I don't think a lot of teams would want to put their safety on Percy and ask them to cover him one-on-one while they stack 8 in the box to stop the run. I also think having Percy in the lineup would take some pressure off of Tate and Baldwin.

And as Zorny said, even if all he did was to return kickoffs, it would be a help. At this point, any contribution at all from him would be welcome.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby CascadeHawk » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:19 am

As I recall when Percy had his surgery the Doctor said that his best scenario time frame for Percy to be back on the field would be 4 months. That surgery was the first part of August. Percy played on November 17th, which I think was too soon and he is paying for that now.

As it stands right now he is just a couple of weeks past the "best" case scenario that the Doctor gave. I understand everyone is impatient to see him playing but I would just be happy to see him on the field by the time the playoffs start.
CascadeHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:32 am

I'm beginning to think PC is just playing OKEYDOKE with the rest of the league, rope a dope. Teams are going to see Harvin in crunch time, and they might be seeing Christine Micheal a lot more too. Just a hunch. I've been ragging on Harvin all year. I think Ill develop a more positive approach. Seahawks don't rebuild, they reload.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:39 pm

Hawktawk wrote:I'm beginning to think PC is just playing OKEYDOKE with the rest of the league, rope a dope. Teams are going to see Harvin in crunch time, and they might be seeing Christine Micheal a lot more too. Just a hunch. I've been ragging on Harvin all year. I think Ill develop a more positive approach. Seahawks don't rebuild, they reload.

I hope you're correct on both Percy and Christine. I was surprised we didn't see Christine during the Giants game. He's a stud.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:44 am

Article this morning speculating that Harvin will not return in the regular season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -playoffs/
savvyman
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:17 am

Now it not so much the regular season, he would contribute more during the playoffs. He will have then at least 4 more weeks to come back assuming we get the number one seed.

That's my goal for Percy Percy me.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:59 pm

This appears to be an intelligent discussion regarding Percy Harvin.

What planet did I wake up on this time?
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:12 pm

HawkWow wrote:This appears to be an intelligent discussion regarding Percy Harvin.

That's what's so exciting about this new forum. A place where Trolls will not take hold and a great group of people who welcome a healthy discussion. Good to see you here!
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Anthony wrote:

I personally think he makes a bigger impact for the other receivers than Lynch, that said, they certainly cannot load the box with Percy on the field.... His impact is hard to see to the untrained eye, but anyone that paid attention in the Minnesota game with him running short digs and crossing routes saw how much he opened up the down field passing game.. Safeties have to make choices, and Harvin coming across the middle is going to be the automatic choice everytime over Baldwin streaking down the sideline. Honestly, I feel like him being on the field benefits Tate and Lockette ( yeah the guy that seldom see's the field) the most.

Lynch IMO will get a residual boost, but the other receivers IMO will see a LOT more open space.......
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:22 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:
Anthony wrote:

I personally think he makes a bigger impact for the other receivers than Lynch, that said, they certainly cannot load the box with Percy on the field.... His impact is hard to see to the untrained eye, but anyone that paid attention in the Minnesota game with him running short digs and crossing routes saw how much he opened up the down field passing game.. Safeties have to make choices, and Harvin coming across the middle is going to be the automatic choice everytime over Baldwin streaking down the sideline. Honestly, I feel like him being on the field benefits Tate and Lockette ( yeah the guy that seldom see's the field) the most.

Lynch IMO will get a residual boost, but the other receivers IMO will see a LOT more open space.......

Although I do agree about it opening up more space for the other receivers (that TD pass RW threw to Baldwin right before halftime against the Vikes is a perfect example) I think it will also put the numbers back in the Hawks favor as far as the run game goes. It is no secret that teams are loading up the box against us but with Harvin on the field they have to take that extra defender and line him over or move him towards Harvin.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:55 pm

Steady_Hawk wrote:
HawkWow wrote:This appears to be an intelligent discussion regarding Percy Harvin.

That's what's so exciting about this new forum. A place where Trolls will not take hold and a great group of people who welcome a healthy discussion. Good to see you here!

10-4. If I were to make a statement anywhere near that of some of those made in this thread over in Forum X, I would have spent the rest of my cyber life defending it and forever branded a hater.

Back to Harvin. It sure sounds like they are getting ready to shut him down. There's absolutely nothing that an optimist can hang his hat on.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:13 am

RiverDog wrote:
Steady_Hawk wrote:

10-4. If I were to make a statement anywhere near that of some of those made in this thread over in Forum X, I would have spent the rest of my cyber life defending it and forever branded a hater.

Back to Harvin. It sure sounds like they are getting ready to shut him down. There's absolutely nothing that an optimist can hang his hat on.

Percy Harvin, if nothing else, has become a great gauge in separating the football fan from the Seahawk fan. When you get a poster with 8,000 posts, dating back to 2007, commenting that he has "never heard of Harvin having character issues (and) anyone that says he has is lying", you know you've found a person you don't want to discuss football with. Or the weather, for that matter.

Thanks for the welcome Steady!
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:16 am

Welcome to the Shack brotha!
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:30 am

Percy Harvin, if nothing else, has become a great gauge in separating the football fan from the Seahawk fan. When you get a poster with 8,000 posts, dating back to 2007, commenting that he has "never heard of Harvin having character issues (and) anyone that says he has is lying", you know you've found a person you don't want to discuss football with. Or the weather, for that matter.

Boy, no kidding. I wish people would do a little bit of research about a player before they blindly defend him, Seahawk or no Seahawk. Whether you agree with the trade or not, you'd be an ignoramus if you didn't admit that Harvin's character issues made him a significant risk. When I tried to point out the risk the guy put himself and our team in when he got himself arrested for suspicion of DUI last spring, some jack wagon would start arguing about semantics, saying that since he was not charged I shouldn't be going around saying that he was arrested, as if the incident never happened.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:15 pm

I'm not sure if I have said this in this Forum, but I see Harvin as a Home Run hitter.
He may strike out with injuries for a time, but any time he's on the field he's a threat to score.
With a team like Seattle, it's a luxury to have him but not a necessity.
The concern is whether he will ever be healthy again.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby yoder » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:01 pm

Zorn76 wrote:It ain't lookin' good for Percy this year, is it.

If at all possible, but especially in the playoffs, it'd be great to see him out there, if only as a decoy on a few plays. Anything extra we have to create just a shred of doubt in the opponent and their D coordinator would help. I understand, though, that we may not even have him activated for a game unless he can contribute more than that.

I agree, if we used him as a bluff or decoy during a few crucial downs in the playoffs...it could be a game changer. Maybe. I'm sure Carroll and Bevell have at least entertained the idea. But like you all have said, we've made it this far without him.
yoder
Site Admin

Postby Steady_Hawk » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:09 pm

I really wonder what this season would have been like with him totally healthy. Would we have lost two games? I just can't wait to see this guy fully contributing week to week and what teams are going to have to do to stop us. The Beast makes you stack the box, Wilson makes you use a spy and Harvin will absolutely require double teams. Pick your poison.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:19 pm

RiverDog wrote:Percy Harvin, if nothing else, has become a great gauge in separating the football fan from the Seahawk fan. When you get a poster with 8,000 posts, dating back to 2007, commenting that he has "never heard of Harvin having character issues (and) anyone that says he has is lying", you know you've found a person you don't want to discuss football with. Or the weather, for that matter.

Boy, no kidding. I wish people would do a little bit of research about a player before they blindly defend him, Seahawk or no Seahawk. Whether you agree with the trade or not, you'd be an ignoramus if you didn't admit that Harvin's character issues made him a significant risk. When I tried to point out the risk the guy put himself and our team in when he got himself arrested for suspicion of DUI last spring, some jack wagon would start arguing about semantics, saying that since he was not charged I shouldn't be going around saying that he was arrested, as if the incident never happened.

The loyalty of some of these posters is just so misplaced. And like you said...just do a bit of research before calling someone else a "liar" for citing his antics, which IMO, are worse than anything we ever saw from Terel (sp?) Owens. I admitted over there that I am a hypocrite because IF Harvin ends up killing it for us, I will be glad he's a Hawk, but I will wrestle with that as well. The guy should not be rewarded for his antics that date back to Florida...and worse after.

Very nice that we can discuss this issue here (intelligently). My biggest fear is likely shared by some in here. Harvin has the potential to ruin our chemistry...thinking otherwise would be naïve. Tate didn't want him here and you have to think that by now, if the Hawk docs did say he could play this year but he chose not to, I'm sure other players are not happy with him, or his 40% practice history, as well. I'm still hopeful he will get it together and bless us with that unbelievable talent, but I've seen absolutely nothing from him that makes me comfortable in thinking that will happen.

Does anyone know what Harvin's level of participation is with the team? I don't see him on the sidelines but I'm hopeful he at least shows up for film and meetings...but I don't know. The funniest thing I've seen thus far regarding Harvin, is one poster (over there), prior to the Giants game asked "Since Harvin is in NY already...will he go somewhere else when the team gets there"? LMAO.

Thanks for the welcome EagleHawk!
HawkWow
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum