Gagging on the Andrew Luck drool

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Gagging on the Andrew Luck drool

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:37 pm

I've been listening to NFL GameDay morning on NFL network... and man, the over-the-top love fest for Andrew Luck is nauseating.

Look, I get it.. he is the "ordained". He's the #1 pick, the prototypical QB who is resurrecting the Colts franchise single handedly (tongue in cheek :D ). He is obviously very talented and he's had a good year.

BUT....please stop. His 87 rating, 60% completion and 23 TDs (in a pass dominate offense) do not overly impress me, not to the level of adulation that he gets across the board. His supporters will cry out, "but he lost Reggie Wayne and doesn't have a running game!" Gimme a break. He hasn't dealt with the offensive line disruption to the scale Russell Wilson has. He still has T.Y. Hilton (who torched our own Legion of Boom), a very underrated RB in Donald Brown, and a play maker at TE in Coby Fleener. His defense features a definite DPOY candidate (Robert Mathis).

Although Wilson does have the NFLs best defense to help out, he has played most of the season with undersized WRs and has not had the benefit of his #1 WR (Sidney Rice) for half the season and his #2 WR (Percy Harvin) for the whole season. Marshawn Lynch has not had the same kind of game-breaking running ability this season as defenses have committed to stopping his big gains and have schemed our run game effectively. As I said, our suspect offensive line makes life difficult on him. He's had to play at times with a back-up center and constant shuffling on the O Line. Despite all of that, and despite being in a run imbalanced offense, Wilson had another 100+ rating season with 26 TDs and 9 INTs.

There's no way to win the "who is better?" discussion here, and I don't really care...I'd take Wilson every time in a re-draft, because to me he is that special. It just seems like Luck has been labeled as the next great thing and everything he does is sprinkled with gold dust, when the reality seems to be short of that.

I'm very interested to see how the Messiah plays today against the Chiefs.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Re: Gagging on the Andrew Luck drool

Postby monkey » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:59 pm

I'm mostly with you IG.
I don't hear as much of the lovefest as you do or I'd probably be all the way with you. The only reason I'm not is because I actually buy into a lot of the hype around him...I really do think that he has a VERY bright future ahead of him.

Having said that, I'm sick to tears of the media still trying to find someone from that class of draftees, (which apparently they include Kaepernick into for some reason) who is better than Wilson! This year now, in desperation to find someone, anyone better than Wilson, they've talked up Foles. If RG3 plays well next year (unlikely, I think he's HUGELY overrated!) they'll go right back to saying he's the best, even with Wilson still putting up better numbers, it just won't matter...they don't WANT Wilson to be as great as he is, it doesn't fit their agenda.

Note to the media: THERE IS NO ONE BETTER FROM THAT CLASS THAN WILSON! Shut up about all those wannabe's and about Wilson's lack of height, I am so sick of hearing it. Come clean and admit it, Russell Wilson's numbers PROVE that he's simply the best of that bunch.
monkey
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:56 pm

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:I've been listening to NFL GameDay morning on NFL network... and man, the over-the-top love fest for Andrew Luck is nauseating.

Look, I get it.. he is the "ordained". He's the #1 pick, the prototypical QB who is resurrecting the Colts franchise single handedly (tongue in cheek :D ). He is obviously very talented and he's had a good year.

BUT....please stop. His 87 rating, 60% completion and 23 TDs (in a pass dominate offense) do not overly impress me, not to the level of adulation that he gets across the board. His supporters will cry out, "but he lost Reggie Wayne and doesn't have a running game!" Gimme a break. He hasn't dealt with the offensive line disruption to the scale Russell Wilson has. He still has T.Y. Hilton (who torched our own Legion of Boom), a very underrated RB in Donald Brown, and a play maker at TE in Coby Fleener. His defense features a definite DPOY candidate (Robert Mathis).

Although Wilson does have the NFLs best defense to help out, he has played most of the season with undersized WRs and has not had the benefit of his #1 WR (Sidney Rice) for half the season and his #2 WR (Percy Harvin) for the whole season. Marshawn Lynch has not had the same kind of game-breaking running ability this season as defenses have committed to stopping his big gains and have schemed our run game effectively. As I said, our suspect offensive line makes life difficult on him. He's had to play at times with a back-up center and constant shuffling on the O Line. Despite all of that, and despite being in a run imbalanced offense, Wilson had another 100+ rating season with 26 TDs and 9 INTs.

There's no way to win the "who is better?" discussion here, and I don't really care...I'd take Wilson every time in a re-draft, because to me he is that special. It just seems like Luck has been labeled as the next great thing and everything he does is sprinkled with gold dust, when the reality seems to be short of that.

I'm very interested to see how the Messiah plays today against the Chiefs.

Wait till Super Bowl week. Then Russell will be gettin' the love!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:45 pm

Well in fairness it is the NFL network. It's the playoffs and they are most certainly going to schill for a guy who's likely to be a standard bearer over the next ten years. Plus dude is good. Hasn't been better than Wilson but good nonetheless.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:45 pm

Indeed, the drool over Luck really is sickening.

Was sick of hearing it as far back as the 2012 Draft, myself.

Sucks that Hasselbeck prolly won't be able to have another shot at getting The Ring. Bet this is his last season.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:28 pm

If Luck completes the comeback "gagging on" will become "wallowing in"..........
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:32 pm

curmudgeon wrote:If Luck completes the comeback "gagging on" will become "wallowing in"..........

Makes me sick, just thinking about it.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:08 pm

Well, if it made you sick before, wait until this coming week. Course they will ignore the 3 interceptions he threw while they assume the position to insert Luck into their waiting nob polishers, but they have been waiting for the next golden boy for a long time now, and it seems that with Lucks luck in this game, they have a young QB to polish for years to come now.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby XpertDBA » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:12 pm

Seems like he should earn some of your respect, instead of gagging...quite the comeback, give him a few kudos.
XpertDBA
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:16 pm

Personally, not a big fan of QB's that pull out victory after playing poorly to put them in a hole to begin with. Never been a fan of that type of play, and never will be. Luck played two different games today. Horrible, or great, nothing in between. Ball bounced his way. I love how football, can and does often come down to one bounce of the ball, and while Luck certainly deserves credit for never quitting, he also deserves a LOT of blame for them being in the hole they were in to begin with.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:29 pm

Love him or hate him, that was a seriously rare comeback. I'm still wondering why they didn't just double TY Hilton and challenge him to win with someone else. Luck probably deserves what ever slobber he wallows in this week.
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:30 pm

XpertDBA wrote:Seems like he should earn some of your respect, instead of gagging...quite the comeback, give him a few kudos.

My problem is with the medias non-stop love fest with Luck, not Luck as a player. He was awesome in the 2nd half.

He still finished with a rating 15 points less than Wilson.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:45 pm

Just not how I work. If a RB fumbles the ball 4 times, and scores the winning TD, or even garners 300 yards and three TD's I won't be bowing down to them either. Will never be overly impressed by a "comeback" if the player that put them in that position is the one people try to heap praise on after the fact....

Didn't do it for Favre, not going to do it with Luck. Just how I work. He had some nice drives, and yes he never quit, kudos for not quitting, as far as his play goes? Nah, he played ok, not great, and I won't say he had a "great" game when he didn't. Not sure how many Chiefs went down, but it seemed like a LOT ( many of which were DB's). We'll see how he does in NE, if he throws another 3 picks I'll say the same win or lose.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:00 pm

I was unable to watch the Indy/Colts game as I was working.

As far as Luck goes, I think he's a very good quarterback and it's a toss up between which of the young guns is the better, him or Russell. I agree with IG, that in a re-draft, I'd take Russell over Luck. But then again, I know Russell, have watched him play more often, and I've seen how great of a "face of the franchise" he has become. I don't know nearly as much about Andrew Luck, he plays in another conference so I don't see him play as often, and I don't live anywhere close to Indianapolis, so my opinion is admittedly pretty biased.

The media does drools over Luck. I guess that's what being a #1 overall draft choice will do for you. He's also closer to the center of the media universe. But don't despair. If we make it to the Super Bowl, the media is going to be drooling all over Russell. He's a good looking guy (Luck has a face that only a mother could love), very articulate, respectful to his opponents, and expresses his faith when asked, but does so without throwing it in your face like Tebow does/did. He's a marketer's dream.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:08 pm

I'll be honest, I can't stand the Colts but it's not because of Luck. Jim Irsay has to be one of the biggest Douche's out there. I root for that team to lose for his sake. Luck does get way too much attention, and I remember watching a game where Chris Colinsworth was ready to pull Luck's pants down and provide some oral action. I almost changed the channel because I couldn't take it anymore. I wish Luck the best, but he's no Wilson and never will be.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:22 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Just not how I work. If a RB fumbles the ball 4 times, and scores the winning TD, or even garners 300 yards and three TD's I won't be bowing down to them either. Will never be overly impressed by a "comeback" if the player that put them in that position is the one people try to heap praise on after the fact....

Didn't do it for Favre, not going to do it with Luck. Just how I work. He had some nice drives, and yes he never quit, kudos for not quitting, as far as his play goes? Nah, he played ok, not great, and I won't say he had a "great" game when he didn't. Not sure how many Chiefs went down, but it seemed like a LOT ( many of which were DB's). We'll see how he does in NE, if he throws another 3 picks I'll say the same win or lose.

Indy is most likely heading to Denver next weekend. If Cincinatti wins tomorrow (most likely), the Bengals go to New England and the Colts get a rematch with the Donkeys.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:58 pm

Ok, and if he throws 3 more picks in Denver I'll say the same thing, win or lose.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:09 pm

:mrgreen:
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:34 am

Steady_Hawk wrote:I'll be honest, I can't stand the Colts but it's not because of Luck. Jim Irsay has to be one of the biggest Douche's out there. I root for that team to lose for his sake. Luck does get way too much attention, and I remember watching a game where Chris Colinsworth was ready to pull Luck's pants down and provide some oral action. I almost changed the channel because I couldn't take it anymore. I wish Luck the best, but he's no Wilson and never will be.

LMAO!!!! :lol:

It was ridiculous.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:15 am

I kind of agree I get tired of hearing about him and his coma back wins, especially when 3/4 of them were because he trough interceptions giving the other team the lead. I mean even today, he doe snot through 3 ints and they win easy not some great comeback that was only a comeback because he put them behind the 8 ball.
Last edited by Anthony on Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:33 am

Steady_Hawk wrote:I'll be honest, I can't stand the Colts but it's not because of Luck. Jim Irsay has to be one of the biggest Douche's out there. I root for that team to lose for his sake. Luck does get way too much attention, and I remember watching a game where Chris Colinsworth was ready to pull Luck's pants down and provide some oral action. I almost changed the channel because I couldn't take it anymore. I wish Luck the best, but he's no Wilson and never will be.

The announcers are going to hype several players in every game. One of their jobs is to generate interest, so as to keep people tuned in. If they tell you that Andrew Luck is the second coming of Peyton Manning, you're more likely to stay tuned and see if they're right than if they tell you the truth, ie that he's currently a relatively average quarterback. Announcers are not talking to the hard core football fans like us that are going to watch the game no matter how they characterize players. They're talking to the casual fans that lose interest more easily than we do.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:52 am

I get what people are saying, but I'm still impressed with the Colts pulling this one off in general. Andrew Luck had a great 2nd half, as did the whole team.

It is what it is.

I doubt Indy reaches the SB, though I love the idea of playing them in NY if we get there.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:34 am

Its okay in about 5 hours it will be Rogers and Kaep drool. Then in another week Brees Manning Brady and RW drool.
It is what it is.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:40 am

Hes a very good qb with all the tools but he got very fortunate to have some timely defense etc to win yesterday. My biggest problem with him is that stupid looking beard. He looks like some odd cross between Grizzly Adams and an Amish boy. Dude.........
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:21 am

Damn, it's gonna be a loooooooooooooooooooong week.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:21 pm

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:
HumanCockroach wrote:Just not how I work. If a RB fumbles the ball 4 times, and scores the winning TD, or even garners 300 yards and three TD's I won't be bowing down to them either. Will never be overly impressed by a "comeback" if the player that put them in that position is the one people try to heap praise on after the fact....

Indy is most likely heading to Denver next weekend. If Cincinatti wins tomorrow (most likely), the Bengals go to New England and the Colts get a rematch with the Donkeys.
Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:

Or not.... LOL. I'm 3 for 3 this weekend, lets see if I can get the sweep. :) enjoy Carolina Mr. Rodgers.....( though to be fair I picked Cincy to represent the AFC in the SB all the way up to last week)
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:35 pm

Zorn76 wrote:I get what people are saying, but I'm still impressed with the Colts pulling this one off in general. Andrew Luck had a great 2nd half, as did the whole team.

It is what it is.

I doubt Indy reaches the SB, though I love the idea of playing them in NY if we get there.

Agreed. And Luck in particular. I think the kid is sensational and other than his grooming habits, I think he's groovy. OK, not groovy, but he made some huge plays yesterday and IMO, made clear why he was the #1 pick in the last draft. He has all the tools, the head and now we know he has the want. You can't teach want.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:44 pm

Andrew Luck is the real deal - I remember commenting on the PI Seahawks & Indianapolis Game Thread Board with how impressed I was with everything about luck - especially his competitiveness.

Luck and the resultant drool will have to be dealt with for quite a few more years.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:06 pm

Agreed bro...no team that I hate more than Stanford and Luck managed to make me like him even then. We are fortunate to have him in the league and more fortunate he's not in our conference. Can't fall in with this "I hate Luck because someone said he was better than Wilson" mentality. Not accusing anyone of that here...but I''ve not read the entire thread either. Why would anyone hate on Luck for such a thing? When Luck says "I'm better than Wilson", then you have something. But the reality is, if you asked both Luck and Wilson who was the better QB, I'd bet anything they'd point at the other...and mean it. I won't be missing this opportunity to watch this kid grow and feel sorry for those that do. Reminds me of when everyone in Seattle hated Elway. Why? Because he was so good (!?). I loved Elway even in defeat and think about what we could have been had he came to Seattle. I'm seeing a lot of Elway in Luck now too...except Luck is wayyyy ahead of where Elway was at this time.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:50 am

HawkWow wrote:Agreed bro...no team that I hate more than Stanford and Luck managed to make me like him even then. We are fortunate to have him in the league and more fortunate he's not in our conference. Can't fall in with this "I hate Luck because someone said he was better than Wilson" mentality. Not accusing anyone of that here...but I''ve not read the entire thread either. Why would anyone hate on Luck for such a thing? When Luck says "I'm better than Wilson", then you have something. But the reality is, if you asked both Luck and Wilson who was the better QB, I'd bet anything they'd point at the other...and mean it. I won't be missing this opportunity to watch this kid grow and feel sorry for those that do. Reminds me of when everyone in Seattle hated Elway. Why? Because he was so good (!?). I loved Elway even in defeat and think about what we could have been had he came to Seattle. I'm seeing a lot of Elway in Luck now too...except Luck is wayyyy ahead of where Elway was at this time.

There are some striking contrasts between Luck and Elway. Elway had a cannon for an arm. It's not that Luck has a weak arm, just that Elway had one of the strongest arms I've ever seen. He was also more athletic. He was nearly as elusive as Russell and ran a lot in his early years. He came into the Kingdome in 1984, in our last regular season game and in front of one very hostile crowd, and beat us decisively. We were 12-4 that season. He spiked the ball after scoring a touchdown in that game, and Seahawk fans never forgot it and really started getting on him. From then on, Denver games in the Kingdome were always characterized by the crowd chanting "Ellllwaaaay." It was a great rivalry, one that I really miss, and every bit as intense as the one we now have with the Niners.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:55 am

Quarterback Ratings mean absolutely nothing in the playoffs. This guy is now throwing to Coby Fleener and previously unknown TY Hilton as his best targets and he put 45 points - and led one of the biggest comebacks in NFL history, let alone the playoffs. He has the Elway/Brady (insert name) ability to make everyone around him better. I mean, how many comeback wins does he have already? And his team won 1 game before he arrived. ONE. They've won 11 each season since.

Like I posted before he was drafted, he is a once in a generation talent. If you asked me who I'd rather have, Wilson, Kaepernick, Newton, Tannehil or Luck? Luck would be my choice before you finished the sentence. He's on a completely different level than any of those guys from the pocket already, but he also possesses the same unique competitive drive and will to win that several of those guys do. He beat your guy with a comeback. Pounded our guy in our stadium. And yet his team has far less talent then either. Pretty clear why if you do the math.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:09 am

Futureite wrote:Quarterback Ratings mean absolutely nothing in the playoffs. This guy is now throwing to Coby Fleener and previously unknown TY Hilton as his best targets and he put 45 points - and led one of the biggest comebacks in NFL history, let alone the playoffs. He has the Elway/Brady (insert name) ability to make everyone around him better. I mean, how many comeback wins does he have already? And his team won 1 game before he arrived. ONE. They've won 11 each season since.

Like I posted before he was drafted, he is a once in a generation talent. If you asked me who I'd rather have, Wilson, Kaepernick, Newton, Tannehil or Luck? Luck would be my choice before you finished the sentence. He's on a completely different level than any of those guys from the pocket already, but he also possesses the same unique competitive drive and will to win that several of those guys do. He beat your guy with a comeback. Pounded our guy in our stadium. And yet his team has far less talent then either. Pretty clear why if you do the math.

Since Colin Kaepernick posted the second lowest rating of this weekend's playoff quarterbacks, besting only the horrible play of Andy Dalton, whose team suffered mightily because of it and lost by what was far and away the largest margin of the 4 games, it's not surprising that you'd make that claim.

For us, Russell Wilson's QB rating means everything. In his 13 wins, he posted a QB rating of 109.1, and in our three losses a 70.2
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:24 am

Futureite wrote:Quarterback Ratings mean absolutely nothing in the playoffs. This guy is now throwing to Coby Fleener and previously unknown TY Hilton as his best targets and he put 45 points - and led one of the biggest comebacks in NFL history, let alone the playoffs. He has the Elway/Brady (insert name) ability to make everyone around him better. I mean, how many comeback wins does he have already? And his team won 1 game before he arrived. ONE. They've won 11 each season since.

Congratulations on the victory - winning on the road in that weather against Aaron Rodgers is an excellent accomplishment no matter how some people might want to discount it.

As you know the 49ers are playing well - winners of their last 7 games - and Kaepernick has thrown for 11 TD's and only two interceptions recently. I am fairly certain that the 49ers will take the Panthers this weekend. Especially if Carolina has to play without Steve Smith.

If both the Hawks and 49ers take care of business (which I am hoping) then we will have an epic game for the ages for the NFC conference Championship.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:16 pm

Kind of doubt it, but who knows. For all the Niner love around the nation, and even on this board, I just don't see how a team that squeaked by an injury ravaged 4 win team at home ( WHILE they were still fighting for the division and a home game) and one that squeaked by an abysmal defense in GB can be considered the "better" team in Carolina ( a team that beat them in the season). SF has indeed won their last seven games, Carolina has only won like 11 of their last twelve. It certainly could go that way, but Kaep is going to have to do it with his arm, not his feet this game, and despite his ability, I am not sold on him being able to do that on a good defense yet....
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:15 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Kind of doubt it, but who knows. For all the Niner love around the nation, and even on this board, I just don't see how a team that squeaked by an injury ravaged 4 win team at home ( WHILE they were still fighting for the division and a home game) and one that squeaked by an abysmal defense in GB can be considered the "better" team in Carolina ( a team that beat them in the season). SF has indeed won their last seven games, Carolina has only won like 11 of their last twelve. It certainly could go that way, but Kaep is going to have to do it with his arm, not his feet this game, and despite his ability, I am not sold on him being able to do that on a good defense yet....

IMO the media is a little slower to detect a changing of the guard than the rest of us. As much as we don't like to admit it, the Niners have been the most consistent team in the league over the past 3 years, having gone to the NFC Championship game twice, the SB once, posting a very respectable 12-4 record, and winning their first playoff game this season. The Panthers are very much the newcomers and one can see why there's still a significant portion of the media and other fans that feel that the Niners are the better team.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:33 pm

Have little problem acknowledging that they have consistently been a good team, just don't buy into this is a given or even likely is all. The Niners have holes ( and I pointed them out before they struggled with the Packers) to be fair ALL teams do, just the nature of the beast. Not sure that the Niners holes are less noticeable than that of Seattle or Carolina, but IMO the teams that struggle stopping Kaepernik or more often than not teams that allow him to create with his feet, either due to a lack of defensive speed or because of undisciplined play ( which no matter what Future professes is indeed the reason why it isn't GB going to Carolina this week). What I have seen from Carolina is a disciplined, aggressive defense with a bunch of speed at the LB spot.

That speed dampens Kaep's ability to find lanes, and forces him to throw. That may be enough against a team that cannot pressure him, or even a team that has issues sticking with the receiving core ( and by that I mean his first or second read) Carolina isn't that team, nor is Seattle. At this point the better hope that the "stage" is too big for Cam and co.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:37 pm

RiverDog wrote:
HawkWow wrote:Agreed bro...no team that I hate more than Stanford and Luck managed to make me like him even then. We are fortunate to have him in the league and more fortunate he's not in our conference. Can't fall in with this "I hate Luck because someone said he was better than Wilson" mentality. Not accusing anyone of that here...but I''ve not read the entire thread either. Why would anyone hate on Luck for such a thing? When Luck says "I'm better than Wilson", then you have something. But the reality is, if you asked both Luck and Wilson who was the better QB, I'd bet anything they'd point at the other...and mean it. I won't be missing this opportunity to watch this kid grow and feel sorry for those that do. Reminds me of when everyone in Seattle hated Elway. Why? Because he was so good (!?). I loved Elway even in defeat and think about what we could have been had he came to Seattle. I'm seeing a lot of Elway in Luck now too...except Luck is wayyyy ahead of where Elway was at this time.

There are some striking contrasts between Luck and Elway. Elway had a cannon for an arm. It's not that Luck has a weak arm, just that Elway had one of the strongest arms I've ever seen. He was also more athletic. He was nearly as elusive as Russell and ran a lot in his early years. He came into the Kingdome in 1984, in our last regular season game and in front of one very hostile crowd, and beat us decisively. We were 12-4 that season. He spiked the ball after scoring a touchdown in that game, and Seahawk fans never forgot it and really started getting on him. From then on, Denver games in the Kingdome were always characterized by the crowd chanting "Ellllwaaaay." It was a great rivalry, one that I really miss, and every bit as intense as the one we now have with the Niners.

Of course they are not the same QB, RD. My point was that Luck is showing similar traits. Yes, Elway was more mobile..so was Young, Luck a bigger, stronger man than both, so not expected to be Vick-like. Yes, Elway probably has the edge in arm strength, but few in the history of this game threw with more velocity than Elway...and that wasn't always a good thing as in his early years, he looked Locker-esque. Stories were that Elway, in HS, used to play pepper with the other QBs and would intentionally rifle the ball hard enough to hurt ther hands. Other reports said you could expect to have Xs on your body if you didn't catch his ball with your hands...the X being from the end of the football.

Luck, no matter the comparison one choses to make, also has a cannon for an arm. Look at the ropes he throws but does so with much more catchable balls. Coming out of Stanford, I was comparing him to Rodgers, but I think Luck's arm is better than Rodgers'. People that say he didn't deserve to be the 1st pick are missing something. Unsure what...but I have no doubt he is HOF material.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:40 pm

Brilliant. I can add nothing to your post and agree with your every word.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:47 pm

RiverDog wrote:
HumanCockroach wrote:Kind of doubt it, but who knows. For all the Niner love around the nation, and even on this board, I just don't see how a team that squeaked by an injury ravaged 4 win team at home ( WHILE they were still fighting for the division and a home game) and one that squeaked by an abysmal defense in GB can be considered the "better" team in Carolina ( a team that beat them in the season). SF has indeed won their last seven games, Carolina has only won like 11 of their last twelve. It certainly could go that way, but Kaep is going to have to do it with his arm, not his feet this game, and despite his ability, I am not sold on him being able to do that on a good defense yet....

IMO the media is a little slower to detect a changing of the guard than the rest of us. As much as we don't like to admit it, the Niners have been the most consistent team in the league over the past 3 years, having gone to the NFC Championship game twice, the SB once, posting a very respectable 12-4 record, and winning their first playoff game this season. The Panthers are very much the newcomers and one can see why there's still a significant portion of the media and other fans that feel that the Niners are the better team.

That and the (storied) 9ers are just better press and with a bigger following. If a inside-the-box writer has to pick a side between the two, he would do less damage to his cred in picking the 9ers to win, even if they lose, than going against the grain and picking the winning Panthers. These people are a disgrace to the great writers unafraid to establish and stand behind the real story. The Panthers are a much better story, IMO, than the 9ers this year, and that is no knock on the 9ers...who just keep winning. In another forum, people are whining about the "9ers winning ugly". But we "win ugly"...we are just brilliant in our never say die resolve. Can't get my head around that...but I'm a fan of the NFL, even more so than our Hawks (alone).
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:58 pm

HawkWow wrote:
That and the (storied) 9ers are just better press and with a bigger following. If a inside-the-box writer has to pick a side between the two, he would do less damage to his cred in picking the 9ers to win, even if they lose, than going against the grain and picking the winning Panthers. These people are a disgrace to the great writers unafraid to establish and stand behind the real story. The Panthers are a much better story, IMO, than the 9ers this year, and that is no knock on the 9ers...who just keep winning. In another forum, people are whining about the "9ers winning ugly". But we "win ugly"...we are just brilliant in our never say die resolve. Can't get my head around that...but I'm a fan of the NFL, even more so than our Hawks (alone).[/quote]

There is a tendency to believe that the champ is still the champ until proven otherwise, and in this case, the champ of the NFC is the 49'ers. That's why I hope that our road to the Super Bowl includes a playoff victory over the Niners.
RiverDog
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum