Bring On The Saints

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Bring On The Saints

Postby savvyman » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:12 pm

Something tells me this game won't be as easy as the last one....
savvyman
Legacy

Re: Bring On The Saints

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:23 pm

No worries, we ain't the Eagles.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:53 pm

savvyman wrote:Something tells me this game won't be as easy as the last one....

That's a pretty sure bet, as it would be really hard to get any easier. The previous game was over at halftime. It's doubtful next Saturday will break in that manner.

The talking heads were making a reasoned argument for the Saints in that they've seen the worst from us and our venue, so they will know what to expect. But even if it were on a neutral field, I like how we match up against the Saints. Our physical secondary does a great job against their bigger but slower wide receivers, and I'm not too worried about their running game. And their D doesn't compare with what we see in our own division.

I'm going to predict 23-10 Hawks.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:57 pm

They knew what to expect last time too. That playoff game was only 3 years ago.

We should score 30 plus again. No way do they score that much with our defense.

100% chance of rain right now. We will shut down their run and the weather will marginalized their passing.

Add in the Harvin factor?

Seahawks 30-17
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:14 pm

RiverDog wrote:
savvyman wrote:Something tells me this game won't be as easy as the last one....

That's a pretty sure bet, as it would be really hard to get any easier. The previous game was over at halftime. It's doubtful next Saturday will break in that manner.

The talking heads were making a reasoned argument for the Saints in that they've seen the worst from us and our venue, so they will know what to expect. But even if it were on a neutral field, I like how we match up against the Saints. Our physical secondary does a great job against their bigger but slower wide receivers, and I'm not too worried about their running game. And their D doesn't compare with what we see in our own division.

I'm going to predict 23-10 Hawks.

RD I am hella worried about their running game. Its called 3 and 1 with a qb sneak. They pushed Phili's linemen like they were rag dolls towards the end of that game. O line won the game for the Saints.
How is our D line?
Lately we have been lights out against the run, but were not that way ALL season. So, you don't worry? Me? I am HELLA worried about how to stop that one play and other run plays I saw them run. I am sure our kids will get coached up on how to stop that play. We did it before and we will do it again.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:42 pm

Deion summed it up nicely. The Saints are excited about getting "another crack" at Seattle, however, Seattle is just as excited to get "another crack" at them. The Saints success is really contingent on being able to dictate the outcome on their defensive and offensive lines, that said, the Eagles have had issues ALL season in BOTH areas, the have issues in pass protection, and tackling and stopping the run. Seattle HAS had issues in pass protect, however, a LOT of those issues occurred when both tackles were missing, and with the exception of a three game stretch, Seattle has not had issues d defending the run.

I think it is safe to say, Brees isn't going to light up the defensive backfield in Seattle, and that Seattle can handle the running game of the Saints ( at least at a reasonable level) it will be important for Seattle to garner success on the of the offensive side of the ball and contain the Saints pass rush.

Ultimately, I feel like the Hawks win one way or the other, how convincing it is remains to be seen.
Last edited by HumanCockroach on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:15 am

HumanCockroach wrote:I think it is safe to say, Brees isn't going to light up the defensive backfield in Seattle, and that Seattle can handle the running game of the Saints ( at least at a reasonable level) it will be important for Seattle to garner success on the of the offensive side of the ball and contain the Saints pass rush.

Great post HC. I agree with what you wrote. However, what is a reasonable level to you HC? For me its 50-75 yards. Anything less than 50 is BONUS.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:20 am

I'm with C-bob, no way Breezy runs around the pocked with our front 4 like he did with the Eagles, Hawks by 10 or more. The tough game will be the 9ers.

obi
obiken
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:22 am

Eaglehawk wrote:
HumanCockroach wrote:I think it is safe to say, Brees isn't going to light up the defensive backfield in Seattle, and that Seattle can handle the running game of the Saints ( at least at a reasonable level) it will be important for Seattle to garner success on the of the offensive side of the ball and contain the Saints pass rush.

Great post HC. I agree with what you wrote. However, what is a reasonable level to you HC? For me its 50-75 yards. Anything less than 50 is BONUS.

Usually I place that number around 80 give or take. Less than 80 and the defense has done an excellent job shutting down the run ( course that does not mean they should give up 300 passing). I think "reasonable" is 80/250 ( rush/pass) a D does that, and allows less than 20 in a playoff game, and it should equate to a win 99% of the time.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:00 am

HumanCockroach wrote:
Eaglehawk wrote:

Usually I place that number around 80 give or take. Less than 80 and the defense has done an excellent job shutting down the run ( course that does not mean they should give up 300 passing). I think "reasonable" is 80/250 ( rush/pass) a D does that, and allows less than 20 in a playoff game, and it should equate to a win 99% of the time.

See your thinking HC. Gracias Amigo. ;)
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:01 am

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:They knew what to expect last time too. That playoff game was only 3 years ago.

100% chance of rain right now. We will shut down their run and the weather will marginalized their passing.

Seahawks 30-17

A lot of players weren't with the Saints 3 years ago. Same with the Hawks. It's different coming into a game when you just played there 6 weeks ago vs. 3 years.

It seems to me that it's pretty rare that one team wins big against the other twice in the same season unless there's a huge talent gap. We beat both the Cards and Niners by comfortable scores early in the season only to lose to them later in the season. Teams can adjust to their errors and correct their mistakes from the previous outing. Consequently, when you win, the tendency is to keep doing the things you were successful at earlier, which give the opponent a second, more educated opportunity at what they saw in their first meeting.

You learn more from a loss than you do from a win. Kinda like at my place of work. I learn more about the plant when we're broke down or out of grade than I do when everything is running like a Swiss watch.

But it looks like our point spread prediction is pretty close to the same. I just don't see us scoring 30+ points, Harvin or no Harvin.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:45 am

To be honest, I think this is The ideal matchup for our divisional round game.
And neither the Saints or the Eagles looked good tonight, IMO.
I'm just not impressed with Sean Payton's crew right now, or Brees in particular.

But I know given our recent home loss that we're all, perhaps, just a wee bit anxious about next Saturday. That's to be expected to some degree, because we're so close to reaching another SB.

Still, we win this game. I'm as confident heading into this one as I was when we beat the Rams to close the regular season. The Saints just don't have the overall talent to defeat us. It's that simple, really.

The media are looking to redeem themselves after our MNF performance that had the 4 letter networks eating crow. Some will stubbornly choose N.O., because they have a man crush on Drew, and will spin the Saints as being on a roll, no matter how underwhelming their win tonight actually was.

We'll give up more than 7, but score more than 34

Seahawks, 37
Saints, 20
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:26 am

I just like the sensationalism coming out after these games. The Saints are now a team that can win on the road and the Colts are the masters of the comeback. I've got plenty of Saints fans down here talking trash about the game; "It won't be the same this time; we proved we can win on the road; Payton and Ryan will have something special planned for the Seachickens this time." Really, something special this time? They had over week to plan something special the last time. And Seachickens? That's what you call the team that dominated your top 5 D? All BS, but they'll spew it all the same. I'm refraining from any rebuttal to these knuckleheads, and I hope most Hawk fans are doing the same. I'm content with Wilson and Co. doing the talking come Saturday. Go Hawks!

MackStrongIsMyHero (a.k.a. BulldogHokieFan)
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:48 am

It was called the NFC least for a reason, and the Saints barely eeked out a win. Welcome back to the Clink(AKA house of horrors) We will see about Harvins impact but I seriously dounbt they will keep Lynch in check like last game. Hawks have come too far to lose to the 6 at home...27-14 Hawks. Hopefully their Jet will run so they can get back to their golf clubs in the big easy.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:04 am

RiverDog wrote:
Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:They knew what to expect last time too. That playoff game was only 3 years ago.

Seahawks 30-17

A lot of players weren't with the Saints 3 years ago. Same with the Hawks. It's different coming into a game when you just played there 6 weeks ago vs. 3 years.

It seems to me that it's pretty rare that one team wins big against the other twice in the same season unless there's a huge talent gap. We beat both the Cards and Niners by comfortable scores early in the season only to lose to them later in the season. Teams can adjust to their errors and correct their mistakes from the previous outing. Consequently, when you win, the tendency is to keep doing the things you were successful at earlier, which give the opponent a second, more educated opportunity at what they saw in their first meeting.

You learn more from a loss than you do from a win. Kinda like at my place of work. I learn more about the plant when we're broke down or out of grade than I do when everything is running like a Swiss watch.

But it looks like our point spread prediction is pretty close to the same. I just don't see us scoring 30+ points, Harvin or no Harvin.

That defense was on life support last night. One more drive, Philly would have won. The Saints were fortunate to have converted a few first downs and drain the clock. They suffered some key injuries.

With Harvin in the mix this time and what I expect a resurgent Beast mode (in light of the All Pro snub and $50K fine for not doing interviews), I think our offense is going to find it's footing - especially coming off a bye, as we did the last time we played the Saints. I think 30 is a reasonable plateau.

Also, in general I think the "they didn't know what to expect" angle is greatly overrated. They didn't execute and our defense dominated them from the first play, and our offense was in sync. Those were much bigger factors than the Saints being awestruck with the environment, especially in the key position of a QB who is a future Hall of Famer who had played here multiple times and knew exactly what to expect.

We just kicked their ass. And we are just a better team, especially in our house.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:28 am

I'm betting that Sean Payton readies the team jet, and flies his boys West no later than Wednesday so they can have at least three days of practice in the PNW elements.

And heck, for the CLinkish sound effects, he might even be packing a boombox. Or three.

Just sayin'.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:51 am

My take is that, first and most importantly, the Seahawks are just simply the better team, second, the only reason the Saints ran the ball like they did is because, that's how you beat a team like the Eagles, you run the ball at them, because the Eagles defense sucks, and they cannot stop it. It's all about the Saints coaching staff doing the right thing, playing clock management football, against a team that is all about running as many plays as possible. That's why I picked the Saints to win, better coaching.
Having said all of that, there is ZERO reason to worry about the Saints running the ball on us. The Saints aren't built to be a running team, and the Seahawks run defense is most definitely NOT the Eagles lousy run defense.
The game should be much close than last time, but the final result ought to be the same, a Seahawks win at home.
monkey
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:36 pm

rottweiler wrote:I'm betting that Sean Payton readies the team jet, and flies his boys West no later than Wednesday so they can have at least three days of practice in the PNW elements.

And heck, for the CLinkish sound effects, he might even be packing a boombox. Or three.

Just sayin'.

Might be better off, parking that jet at the end of the practice field and leaving those engines running. No sound system can simulate the noise in that stadium. Brees might think he knows what to expect, he doesn't. This isn't some MNF game, or even a playoff game against a 7-9 playoff team, this is a fan base that knows how close this team is to finally bringing home a Lombardi, and whatever he has experienced before is going to pale in comparison to what he is about to face....
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:24 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:
rottweiler wrote:I'm betting that Sean Payton readies the team jet, and flies his boys West no later than Wednesday so they can have at least three days of practice in the PNW elements.

Just sayin'.

Might be better off, parking that jet at the end of the practice field and leaving those engines running. No sound system can simulate the noise in that stadium. Brees might think he knows what to expect, he doesn't. This isn't some MNF game, or even a playoff game against a 7-9 playoff team, this is a fan base that knows how close this team is to finally bringing home a Lombardi, and whatever he has experienced before is going to pale in comparison to what he is about to face....

(Shhhhhhhhh. Don't give 'em ideas, bro.)
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:50 pm

Sometimes during the playoffs a team that really has no business being there to begin with, gets lucky and pulls off an upset or two, allowing the eventual champions an easier road to the Superbowl than they otherwise would have had. In other words, sometimes Superbowl teams don't always play the best teams to get there (and sometimes Superbowls don't feature the best teams for that matter.)
Not so in the NFC this year. The Saints have had a terrific year, and at one point in time, right up until they got destroyed in Seattle, they were commonly believed to be the second best team in the NFC after Seattle.
We all know how good the Niners are, last year NFC representative, and clearly one of the top teams. Carolina is also obviously one of the top teams, after winning their division, and beating several top teams, they've proven to belong.
Between the Saints, and the teams left that we can face afterwards, we will be playing the NFC's best to get to the Superbowl, no doubt about it.
As much as I would have loved to face the Packers or Eagles, (those would have been easy wins for Seattle) at least when all is said and done, no one will be able to say the Seahawks didn't earn it this year when they hoist the Lombardi.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Clem7 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:15 pm

I wouldn't look beyond any team in the playoffs. What is on paper doesn't translate to the field, especially in the playoffs.

An easy win may materialize for a team, but I wouldn't expect one regardless of the opponent.

I know not too many people chose NO and SD to win this weekend and GB almost made it a trifecta.
Clem7
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:29 pm

I picked the Saints, Chiefs, 9ers, and Bengals, 50%. We better buy Panther stock, because I just don't see us beating all the weapons the 9ers now have.
Hope I am wrong as always.

obi
obiken
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:35 pm

obiken wrote:I picked the Saints, Chiefs, 9ers, and Bengals, 50%. We better buy Panther stock, because I just don't see us beating all the weapons the 9ers now have.

obi

I'll be rooting for the Panthers all of the way. But don't forget we know the Niners better than most teams in the league. I don't hope for injuries, lets see how healthy they come out of their game against Carolina. Their "weapons" might be degraded a bit.
The key is to contain Kap and we win. So that he does not run all over the field like he did today making first downs, and we win. Packers D did not play smart at all.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:04 am

obiken wrote:I picked the Saints, Chiefs, 9ers, and Bengals, 50%. We better buy Panther stock, because I just don't see us beating all the weapons the 9ers now have.

obi

If you watched the 49ers today, I don't see how you would still feel the same way. The M*A*S*H Packers came very close - legitimately - to ending SF's season. A win is a win, and they did show some clutch in their style, but this was hardly the way most imagined this matchup playing out.

I think the Panthers' D will prove to be too much for a 49er offense that's still very suspect in the red zone. Seahawks/Panthers in 2 weeks for a trip to the SB.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:05 am

obi

The Panthers and Niners play each other next weekend, so it wouldn't make any sense to "buy Panthers stock" based on a sentiment that we can't beat the Niners.

But I get your point. If we get the Niners, IMO the game will be closer than the last two games we've played them at home, but not as close as the last one we played in their house. IMO it would break something like 21-10.

But that's two weeks off. I'm more worried about the Saints. Unless there is a huge talent gap, teams don't usually lose that big to the same opponent twice in the same year.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:16 am

The 9ers and Panthers are very similar teams. Panthers have a bit more explosive QB, maybe a bit less offense overall, depending on the health of Smith.Both Kap and Cam will throw the ball to the wrong team and if the Pack could have squeezed a couple we would be talking about Packers Panthers instead. Panthers have the most physical front 7. Both teams can be thrown on if you can keep your QB upright long enough.Neither team is insurmountable for Seattle. We get the easiest of the 3 remaining teams while a violent bloodbath occurs in Carolina. Seattle gets to finish off the remnants of whoever is left.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Long Time Fan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:43 am

I believe that Wilson's performance will key our playoff fortunes. The Saint's provide the NFC's last best defense for Wilson to exploit. The Saint's secondary is injured and average at best when healthy. The Saint's pass rush is not the equal of the remaining NFC teams. I suspect that we may see some first quarter read option in the mix. I expect to see a refocused and re-energized Russell Carrington Wilson.

Does dude have a great middle name or what?
Long Time Fan
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:13 pm

You know, I am actually hoping to see Russell take off and pick up first downs with his feet a BIT more than he has been lately.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that he's always looking downfield trying to throw first!
But in the past few games, I've noticed several times where an easy first down was there if he ran, but he instead opted to try to throw into extremely tight windows.
Against the Cardinals there were at least two occasions where he definitely should have ran instead of trying to throw.
I get the feeling that he's trying SO hard to stay in the pocket,and be that terrific pocket passer, that he's actually missing opportunities at times.

What he is able to do, the kind of weapon that he is, he's able to completely take a game over, and be that player that a defense just CANNOT do anything about, cannot stop. I hope he gets back to doing that. Maybe he needs Marshawn to tell him to "just take it over" again.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:51 pm

Here's a cool video from the NFL. Very interesting statement made by a Saint at 1:49 into the video. Seems like they had Foles figured out by his actions at the line of scrimmage.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -vs-saints
Last edited by Distant Relative on Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:04 pm

Distant Relative wrote:Here's a cool video from the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -vs-saints

Crap lol you beat me to it, I liked this one as wel

http://www.nfl.com/videos/movie-trailer ... the-Horror
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:16 pm

monkey wrote:You know, I am actually hoping to see Russell take off and pick up first downs with his feet a BIT more than he has been lately.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that he's always looking downfield trying to throw first!
But in the past few games, I've noticed several times where an easy first down was there if he ran, but he instead opted to try to throw into extremely tight windows.
Against the Cardinals there were at least two occasions where he definitely should have ran instead of trying to throw.
I get the feeling that he's trying SO hard to stay in the pocket,and be that terrific pocket passer, that he's actually missing opportunities at times.

What he is able to do, the kind of weapon that he is, he's able to completely take a game over, and be that player that a defense just CANNOT do anything about, cannot stop. I hope he gets back to doing that. Maybe he needs Marshawn to tell him to "just take it over" again.

I agree. Sometimes I think Russell is so self consciousness of the standard, generic criticism of running quarterbacks of looking to run first and pass second that it affects his otherwise good decision making. I've seen him on more than one occasion forgo a good running opportunity and force the ball into some low percentage situation. I think he's fighting his instincts a little bit.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:25 pm

RiverDog wrote:
monkey wrote:You know, I am actually hoping to see Russell take off and pick up first downs with his feet a BIT more than he has been lately.

I agree. Sometimes I think Russell is so self consciousness of the standard, generic criticism of running quarterbacks of looking to run first and pass second that it affects his otherwise good decision making. I've seen him on more than one occasion forgo a good running opportunity and force the ball into some low percentage situation. I think he's fighting his instincts a little bit.

Maybe he has been told to limit his running. Bevell isn't really one to take chances. I personally think the kid needs to have all options open to him when it comes to moving the sticks.
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:44 pm

Distant Relative wrote:
RiverDog wrote:

Maybe he has been told to limit his running. Bevell isn't really one to take chances. I personally think the kid needs to have all options open to him when it comes to moving the sticks.

I thought about that, too, DR, but there's been situations, like the much debated 3rd down vs. the Cards, where Russell had the sidelines to protect him and he still chose to force in a throw.

But if it is Pete and/or Bevell that's restricting Russell, they need to cease it immediately. This is the playoffs, and there's no tomorrow. Everyone must be allowed to go balls to the wall.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:10 am

RiverDog wrote:
I thought about that, too, DR, but there's been situations, like the much debated 3rd down vs. the Cards, where Russell had the sidelines to protect him and he still chose to force in a throw.

But if it is Pete and/or Bevell that's restricting Russell, they need to cease it immediately. This is the playoffs, and there's no tomorrow. Everyone must be allowed to go balls to the wall.

Don't know why he didn't run in that situation. It's not the only time we have seen this.
Anyway, usually when he passes the ball in that situation he has been money, until recently. And as a result we have, over the last 4 weeks, dropped to the last rated offense. Which is something that I am sure is not lost on PC and Bevell.
I remember that at one point they didn't want him running too much. Now he is maybe thinking too much or not thinking about the run option that he himself has if the situation presents. Kap executed this to a tee and this arguably won the game for the Niners.(Along with some stupid DB play from the Eagles).
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum