Beastmode fined 50K.......

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Beastmode fined 50K.......

Postby curmudgeon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:32 am

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10246 ... ia-silence

Incentive to roll for the next three games :o
curmudgeon
Legacy

Re: Beastmode fined 50K.......

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:40 am

Didn't know they required players to do this still. And why would they care about Lynch? I don't remember running backs going out of their way to talk to media this year. Maybe Peterson, but he was premier. Our guy was just a nobody. ;)
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:48 am

The issue is that when requested, the player is supposed to make themselves available. Interestingly he did about a minute and a half in last Friday's presser. Probably related to this.

Personally, what ever member of the press reported him better not let it get out. I'll stop listening/reading to any douchebag that would report a player to the NFL for this. It's clear to me that Lynch is not confident with the press, whoever was feeling left out could have handled it way better.
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:32 am

Just another example of Goody Two Shoes Goodell and his gestapo like tactics. Judge Jury and Executioner. What a joke. RG runs a 5.3 should have been fined 100K for not shutting the F up......
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:37 am

This is absurd. We should set up a fundraiser account to donate for his fine...not that he needs it, just the principle.

I HATE what Goodell and his merry band of b*tches are doing to this league. Slowly but surely, they are eroding this awesome game every day.

Top of the list is the officiating - uneven, different in every game, soft.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:58 pm

It is written into every player's contract that they will comply with all reasonable media requests, but a $50,000 fine is absurd.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:36 pm

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:This is absurd. We should set up a fundraiser account to donate for his fine...not that he needs it, just the principle.

Count me in for a donation.

I offered the same idea for a Brandon Browner defense fund (same reasoning, supporting a hard working Hawk player who was getting bent over and dry rubbed by the league front office) - that idea was met with disdain and crickets.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:23 pm

I don't have a problem with the requirement, but what's with them saving up all their ire for after the season, *THEN* saying something about it??

If you uncurious f.cks want to levy big fines for it, MONITOR IT.

What the hell would have happened if it took you a few years to notice, Goodell? A million dollar fine levied on a retired player??
burrrton
Legacy

Postby yoder » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:02 pm

I like the ideal behind a donation, as in fans supporting him, but I don't think he needs it...or wants it. 7 mil vs. 50K is 0.7 percent of his salary (if my math is right).

Don't know if he's shy or just wants to give a F.U. to the NFL Corporation. I'm guessing the latter. As Mom always said, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all.

Regardless, he broke a ridiculous clause in his contract, but it was his choice. He would also refuse to be interviewed on the Rob Report.

The guy came up from humble beginnings in a rough neighborhood and made his way to the top. I think it's his way of not selling out....IE: Beacon Plumbing vs. Campbell's Soup. Notice how the Skittles thing died down instantly?

Go Lynch, you gotta respect the guy on and off the field. A few mistakes, sure. But I bet he's more than happy to pay the 50k to stick it to Goodell and friends. He has made history once, maybe now it twice?

Stop Freakin', Call Beacon.
yoder
Site Admin

Postby HawkWow » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:03 pm

Will they fine Derek Coleman, too?
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:25 pm

yoder wrote:I like the ideal behind a donation, as in fans supporting him, but I don't think he needs it...or wants it. 7 mil vs. 50K is 0.7 percent of his salary (if my math is right).

Don't know if he's shy or just wants to give a F.U. to the NFL Corporation. I'm guessing the latter. As Mom always said, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all.

Marshawn went to Buffalo as a savior, of sorts, and was the talk of the town. When he hit a rough patch, he got slammed and insulted, called a thug, punk, etc by the local media...and beyond. His ensuing position: kick me when I'm down, and you'll get nothing when I'm back on top.

I'm sure he feels slightly vindicated and while the fine is relatively small, he's likely more willing to play nice now that he's received the recognition and praise he deserves. He's the BEAST! and would be wise to further promote that Beast brand, too, IMO. The media gets away with far too much and I applaud Marshawn for his stance. I'm sure there's players that feel the same and would assist with the fine, if necessary.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:36 pm

HawkWow wrote:Will they fine Derek Coleman, too?

Did he decline a interview?

Look, I hate this crap too but there are guidelines and rules about this crap. I think it is foolish but none the less there are rules regarding interviews. This comish is a doucher and needs to be taken behind the wood shed but his Daddy ain't got the balls.

Sooner or later the players union has to step up and do something about a guy who seems to think he can change the game we all love!

Screw you Rodger for diminishing the game that I love! You are really starting to ruin this game you azzhole!

Here's to hoping the Beast has another earthquake run this weekend!

Go Hawks!
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:13 am

burrrton wrote:I don't have a problem with the requirement, but what's with them saving up all their ire for after the season, *THEN* saying something about it??

If you uncurious f.cks want to levy big fines for it, MONITOR IT.

What the hell would have happened if it took you a few years to notice, Goodell? A million dollar fine levied on a retired player??

I think that no one in the Seattle media reported Lynch's refusals to talk. Somehow word got back to the NFL offices that he'd been refusing interviews all season, so they came down on him. I agree, it's a pizz poor way to handle it, but it's not as if the NFL knew about the refusals and decided to overlook them then lowered the boom.

But I do agree that the rule is stupid. It's just one of many stupid rules the NFL has that is there for the sole purpose of greasing the skids of the media and advertisers.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:18 am

I agree, it's a pizz poor way to handle it, but it's not as if the NFL knew about the refusals and decided to overlook them then lowered the boom.

Them not knowing about it is my gripe. If they want to come down on the player for non-compliance, shouldn't the onus be on them to monitor compliance?

It seems to me ML didn't know this was coming (since he apparently finally agreed to an interview when he knew the fine was coming, telling me he's not happy with writing the NFL a check), and I'm not sure assuming silence from the NFL shouldn't indicate some level of acceptance of the behavior.

Naturally, more details might change my opinion (was he telling reporters to FO all year, and the reporters simply had no way to report that to the NFL, etc), but on its face, this seems like a really bizarre way to punish someone.

But I do agree that the rule is stupid.

Hehe. I actually don't have a problem with the requirement to talk to the media- PR is something that ultimately contributes to the outrageous salaries the players get.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Oly » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:06 pm

I'm on the fence about the rule. On the one hand, the salaries that they are getting certainly mean that they have to comply with some conditions that we mere mortals would find laughable in our jobs. On the other hand, it ignores the very real fact that some people have anxiety problems (like Lynch and, even more memorably, Ricky Williams).

I would rather have each franchise being responsible with meeting certain benchmarks about X% being available to the media and letting those closest to the players handle it. It's in the Hawks' best interest to have its stars available to the media. Given that they know Lynch's situation better than the league, let them make the decision of whether to fine Lynch if he doesn't make himself available. I would imagine that they could work out some interesting arrangements if he didn't want to speak to the media, such as being more involved in charity initiatives or other advertising efforts.
Oly
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:50 pm

Oly wrote:I'm on the fence about the rule. On the one hand, the salaries that they are getting certainly mean that they have to comply with some conditions that we mere mortals would find laughable in our jobs. On the other hand, it ignores the very real fact that some people have anxiety problems (like Lynch and, even more memorably, Ricky Williams).

I would rather have each franchise being responsible with meeting certain benchmarks about X% being available to the media and letting those closest to the players handle it. It's in the Hawks' best interest to have its stars available to the media. Given that they know Lynch's situation better than the league, let them make the decision of whether to fine Lynch if he doesn't make himself available. I would imagine that they could work out some interesting arrangements if he didn't want to speak to the media, such as being more involved in charity initiatives or other advertising efforts.

I agree with Oly. Let the team handle it. They have just as much interest in making players available to the media as does the league.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:03 pm

Distant Relative wrote:
HawkWow wrote:Will they fine Derek Coleman, too?

Did he decline a interview?

Look, I hate this crap too but there are guidelines and rules about this crap. I think it is foolish but none the less there are rules regarding interviews. This comish is a doucher and needs to be taken behind the wood shed but his Daddy ain't got the balls.

Sooner or later the players union has to step up and do something about a guy who seems to think he can change the game we all love!

Screw you Rodger for diminishing the game that I love! You are really starting to ruin this game you azzhole!

Here's to hoping the Beast has another earthquake run this weekend!

Go Hawks!

I agree with all of what you've said. And that remark about Coleman was a stab at Goodell. Coleman, I understand is deaf, don't know how well he speaks. But what if he can't? "Oh, he gets a reprieve". Why would a physical impediment supersede a mental one? Now, ML's problem isn't mental, as I mentioned previously, but who's to challenge it if he says it is? Goodell is just an ass trying to impose himself upon the game, perhaps now even thinking he's bigger than the game.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby yoder » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:33 pm

Just watched the interview for the first time, he looks very, very nervous. His arms are shaking out of control.

Maybe it's just a phobia after all? I'm not good at speaking in public speaking either. Imagine that with lights, reporters and cameras blaring in your face.

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/videos/Marshawn-Lynch-First-Round-Bye-Press-Conference/3376dc2a-b20c-4985-b3c5-442753ccd50b
yoder
Site Admin

Postby Clem7 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:14 pm

Do other sports have this rule? I am not aware it.

Some people like a lower profile publicly and like to let their work do the talking.

Personally, as a high schooler, I used to detest memorizing some stupid ass poem or speech and have to recite it in front of the class. If I had had vomit balls in my pocket, the teacher would have been in danger.

Goodall is a control freak.
Clem7
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum