Penalties from Wild Card Weekend

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Penalties from Wild Card Weekend

Postby curmudgeon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:18 pm

Teams averaged 3.875 penalties per game for 8.16 yards per penalty. Pray tell, with bigger, badder teams involved, how will the divisional games be called??..........
curmudgeon
Legacy

Re: Penalties from Wild Card Weekend

Postby Hawkstar » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:17 pm

I didnt watch the AFC game, but it was great to see the NFC game allow the Corners to play. I watched in a bar with Green Bay and Niner fans, each were bitching about non-calls in the end zone. All in, I thought the officials were pretty good.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:34 pm

All in, I thought the officials were pretty good.

They were *consistent*, which is my problem with them when I have one.

Don't let it go all game, then call it on every 3rd-and-20. SOOOO aggravating.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:47 pm

Crabtree was grabbed and released, held and released, bumped and held and released again... all on the one throw in the endzone.

I'll have NO issue if they call our games like that. All of our backs are trained to do exactly that and to take their off hand and thrust it up to knock the ball out. Kris Richard is a Great Teacher we have for our D-Backs.

js
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:27 am

curmudgeon wrote:Teams averaged 3.875 penalties per game for 8.16 yards per penalty. Pray tell, with bigger, badder teams involved, how will the divisional games be called??..........

It shouldn't be too big of a surprise that there wasn't a lot of penalties called this weekend. The teams that were involved were among the least penalized in the league. Indy was ranked #32, Green Bay #26 in penalties assessed against. None of the 8 teams were ranked in the top 10, with the highest being Cincinnati at #14.

I'm not sure if you guys have seen this site or not, but I have it bookmarked. It's a great site for tracking penalties.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:53 am

I thought the Niner -GB game was pretty fair. There were missed calls both ways & I never saw one assessed that wasn't one. Of course, when behind, my Niner FB friends & and family) were whining about the no calls on the corners. I really don't think they'd have liked the result if the refs called it tighter. Anyway, all in all, seemed solid. I'd take that level of officiating.

Anyone know what crew we get.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Seahawker » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:05 pm

Regardless of how the playoffs will be called loose or tight, the Seahawks are an undisciplined team with room for improvement.
Yes, our physical, if not reckless playing style wins ballgames, but this team oozes talent and there is no excuse for the number of mental breakdowns we have seen.

128 penalties for 1193 yards, 75 yards a game. 2nd worst in the league behind the Buc's.
Extending opponents drives, ending our own. How many of the 3 losses were because of penalties?, two maybe? And the big question, will it cost us in the postseason?

Hawks 28 Colts 34
Hawks 17 Niners 19
Hawks 10 Cards 17

In the first three preseason games we had 34 penalties for 354 yards. In the first two games of the season, 16 penalties with 14 enforced for 145 yards. We have not made much improvement, the flags are still on the field keeping us from reaching our potential.

Remember these scores?

Hawks 12 Panthers 7
Hawks 23 Texans 20
Hawks 20 Titans 13
Hawks 14 Rams 9

Penalties have cost us points, point differential, field position, time of possession, games.
Lynch, 1200 yards & change, Plays called back, drives ended. ML would have had 1500 easy if not for flags.
Same with RW, his stat-line was effected, yards/TD's.

It's no secret that the Seahawks are the 2nd most flagged team in the NFL. The officials and the league won't have any apologies or sympathy to offer if this cost's us in this postseason, even if it's SBXL style.

Hopefully we clean it up 40-50%.
Seahawker
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:51 pm

Penalties are a weakness of Pete Carroll coached team. IMO some are due to the physical style he encourages, others are due to a lack of overall team discipline, which seems to be part of his management style. I don't have a problem with a holding penalty on an OL when he's getting beat, like the one on Okung vs. the Rams that negated a TD, when the option is giving a DE a shot at your QB. Same goes for holding or PI when a receiver has a DB beat. It's better than giving up a TD. Same goes with some of the defensive holding penalties. Part of our success is the aggressive style of our secondary, and I don't want to see them lose their edge because they're preoccupied with drawing a flag. And certainly, some of those roughing the quarterback penalties, like the one Earl got in Miami last year, are unavoidable.

The ones that are frustrating to me are the delay of game penalties because we don't have the right personnel on the field, the late hits, spinning the ball, Tate's bye bye taunt, fair catch interference, stuff like that. Those are all avoidable penalties that don't influence the outcome of a play and are 100% correctable.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Long Time Fan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:03 pm

Our margin for error in all phases of the game is reduced in the playoffs given the level of the competition. Clearly to this point in the season the seahawks are coached to error on the side of maintaining aggression rather than a more passive penalty avoidance mindset. But, as has been pointed out, there is a wide differentiation in type and timing of penalties, some more damaging than others. All pre-snap penalties can and should be coached into avoidance. The drive stalling penalties on offense, namely holding and OPI result from getting beat by the engaging defender. These penalties can be mitigated by improved scheme, but not every player is going to win his individual battle and this is where penalties can occur.
The drive extending penalties committed by our defense; PI, defensive holding, and the like, seem to result from excessive aggressive coverage. Our secondary as outstanding as it is, is prone to pushing the limits of coverage. How often would that extra grab or armbar prevent a completion that otherwise would have been caught?
The most irking penalties are the 3rd down penalties on the defensive. This is a leadership and communication issue. Situational football on defensive is just as important as clutch plays on offense.
Special teams, particularly with the possible return of Harvin as a returner, need to be clean and trust Harvin to clear a sliver of a hole that other humans stand no chance. A return called back is a kick to the nads.
Our team should have the focus borne of experience and opportunity to clean up the avoidable penalties. Free of bad calls, stupid penalties, and an unexpected rash of turnovers, we should win these next two games at home. Go Hawks!
Long Time Fan
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:51 pm

The most irking penalties are the 3rd down penalties on the defensive. This is a leadership and communication issue.

Not sure about that.

There are of course legitimate penalties called against us, but some of them that stand out in my mind (read: aggravate the fc out of me) were the ones that were no different than were taking place the entire game (by both sides) but that the ref decided to call on one of our opponents' 3rd-and-forever plays, effectively bailing them out.

That's how a ref can influence a game, intentionally or not, and it happens way too often now IMO.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Long Time Fan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:20 pm

burrrton wrote:

That's how a ref can influence a game, intentionally or not, and it happens way too often now IMO.

We can only bother with those aspects that can be influenced. The preoccupation with the refs is tiresome. Granted, we follow a "small market" team that plays aggressively, but all fan bases see what they want to see. Screw the refs, F the NFL; if the Seahawks lose it will very likely be because they were beat.

Sherman, for all of his coverage skills, has committed some of the most egregious 3rd down penalties. We need the leaders of this team to speak in one voice on every 3rd and long "Play tight, play clean". Taking a lose at this point will be tough enough to stomach, a lose due to a penalty or series of them would be gut wrenching.

The game plan going forward must include a focus on improving in this area that can be influential. Go Hawks!
Long Time Fan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:26 pm

If the refs would let Seattle's DBs play like they let the 9ers and Pack play they wouldn't get scored on again this year. But what are the odds? Yeah LOL I thought so. I hate these A hole zebras. They hate us, they will try to take it away like they have all season. Seattle definitely commits legitimate penalties but not an average of 40% more than any opponent all year. Ive seen enough phantom, ticky tack, late etc calls to last a lifetime in 2013. Now we have a pass happy team coming to town. Last time Hochulis crew let the defensive backs play. Now guys like Rich Eisen are all lathered up about the 9ers getting another game at the almighty "stick" if they win and Seattle loses, like it really matters one hill of beans. I don't trust the refs, this weekend bears some watching.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:31 pm

Man, I messed up.

Saw this thread, thought it had read "Panties from wild card weekend", and opened it up, hopin' to see a bunch of smokin' hot selfies.

Thought I'd see some playoff game trophies.

Oh well.

Giggity.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:31 pm

rottweiler wrote:Man, I messed up.

Saw this thread, thought it had read "Panties from wild card weekend", and opened it up, hopin' to see a bunch of smokin' hot selfies.

Thought I'd see some playoff game trophies.

Oh well.

Giggity.

Ha! Very much "Like a Rott"! Love it.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:10 pm

LMAO
Hawktawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum