Carolina or San Francisco?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Who (Assuming the Hawks Beat NO) Would You Prefer the Hawks to Play - Carolina or San Francisco?

Carolina
35%
San Francisco
65%
N/A - I think the Hawks Go Down To The Bourbon Street Boys
No votes

Total votes : 26

Re: Carolina or San Francisco?

Postby rottweiler » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:49 am

HumanCockroach wrote:Seriously doubt anyone on this thread is a Seahawks player.

What about a Hawks coach, though, bro?

They're up pretty durned late every night of the week, you know. ;)

Just sayin'.

savvyman wrote:You (GC Saints) are not the first fan of another team to switch allegiances - One of our current members - futurerite - is a former 49er fan who now dreams of raising the 12th man flag at a Seahawk game sometime in the future.

:o
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:05 pm

rottweiler wrote:
HumanCockroach wrote:Seriously doubt anyone on this thread is a Seahawks player.

Just sayin'.

savvyman wrote:You (GC Saints) are not the first fan of another team to switch allegiances - One of our current members - futurerite - is a former 49er fan who now dreams of raising the 12th man flag at a Seahawk game sometime in the future.

You just never know who may be posting...back when we were doing the 12Seahawksstreet blog, we had Mike Holmgren's daughter come by and post a bit. She was pretty cool even though that was short lived. Trying to remember where we had a players cousin also posting...old age is causing me to forget things...
monkey
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:17 pm

monkey wrote:
rottweiler wrote:

Just sayin'.

You just never know who may be posting...back when we were doing the 12Seahawksstreet blog, we had Mike Holmgren's daughter come by and post a bit. She was pretty cool even though that was short lived. Trying to remember where we had a players cousin also posting...old age is causing me to forget things...

I still maintain to this very second that Normey was none other than Matt Hasselbeck.

A guy with a brilliant football IQ and an unparalleled sense of humor slick enough to enable him to ape the role of a total moron when he was in fact making a satire of the PI Forum: yep, sounds like Hasselbeck to me.

And then there's the fact that Normey once made a post which ended with the line, "Isn't Hollywood grate"??? (<--- Misspelled, just like that.)

Now, why would Normey have used the term "Hollywood" — a term which, on the surface, had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the footballishness of his post — to end that post? Because Normey knew that we all thought he was two cards short of a full deck, anyway? Or could he maybe have been flashing us a bit of a sign — a secret handshake, if you will???

A coupla weeks later, Hasselbeck — who was still a Hawk at the time, btw — was quoted in The Sporting News talking about some of the words he would use at the line to audible. His favorite?

"Hollywood".

Go figure.

Maybe I should have stuck this post in The Shack's Conspiracy Theories forum, I dunno.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby Oly » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:31 pm

monkey wrote:First, the Saints still have the EXACT SAME matchup problem they had last time they were here...what has changed other than the media HOPING something has, and inventing reasons the Saints could win?

I think the Hawks will win by a TD or so, but I think 2 things are different this time around:

1) No KJ Wright shutting down the best pass catching TE in the game right now, and the Hawks have been vulnerable in that part of their game in the last year or so (just about their only defensive vulnerability)

2) Drew Brees having film and experience. I'm under no illusions that the Hawks can repeat their performance against Brees, he's just too smart to be shut down like that again. Do I think the Hawks can keep him under 250 yards and 2 TDs? Yeah, but I won't be even slightly surprised if he hits those numbers.

But even though those are real differences to me, I see the weather neutralizing some of their impact.

monkey wrote:Bottom line: The Saints defense is NOT AT ALL good enough to stop Seattle's offense. They will not be able to both stop Lynch AND the passing game, they just do not have the talent to do both. Eventually one or the other WILL break through, and the Saints defense WILL crack, just exactly like last time.
Also, nothing has changed about the turnover differential either, the Seahawks are one of the BEST at creating turnovers, and the Saints are one of the worst.

The media will focus on the strength on strength matchup of Seahawks secondary vs. Saints passing game, just as they did last time (how did that turn out BTW?!?) and just like last time, they will be focusing on the WRONG THING!
I said it last time we faced them, and I picked an easy Seahawks win, it's the Seahawks OFFENSE that will prove to be the big difference, because the Saints defense just does NOT have the talent to run with us.
The media will continue to talk about the wonderful job that Ryan has done for that Saints defense (that's fair, he has done a terrific job), while IGNORING the fact that the scheme he has employed to make the turnaround, is VERY risk intensive. Very high risk, constant blitzing etc... is what has changed that defense around.
That's important because Russell Wilson LOVES to exploit blitzes. In fact, as it has been reported and confirmed, time and time again, his numbers IMPROVE under pressure, and the big plays we get INCREASE against blitzes.

It's hard for me to gauge the Hawks' offense from the games since the previous Saints game. They couldn't get 20 against 2 top defenses late in the year (9ers and Cards) and were hovering around 25 against two average defenses (NY and St. Louis). The Saints have, statistically, one of the best defenses in the league (top 5 in YPG and PPG), but you're right that Wilson matches up very well against it. I think Willson coming back at TE would be huge, because we need threats in the quick passing game to handle the blitz.

In the end, given the weather on Saturday (rain and wind), I see something like 20-13 Hawks over the Saints.
Oly
Legacy

Postby THX-1138 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:32 pm

I would prefer the Seahawks to play the Frisco Niners as they aren't as scary to me as the Panthers. Having said that I think the Carolina Panthers just may crush Frisco.
THX-1138
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:55 pm

I've noticed a trend of bad logic, coming mostly from the media's constant mention of it, regarding the so called "hot team".
You guys do all know that the "hot team" Myth has been blown to shreds right? It's a complete myth.

San Francisco will win or lose depending on how well they play against Carolina, NOT because they are "hot", which even if it weren't a complete myth, is still something that cannot be quantified anyway.

The Saints were the NFL's "hottest team" until they came into the Clink and got destroyed the first time around this year. The Broncos were the hot team, until they ran into the Chargers. The Seahawks were the hot team until they lost to the Cardinals at home etc...

"Hot" is entirely subjective and unquantifiable. When the media throws out that label, ignore it, it's completely stupid and will have ZERO bearing on the actual outcome of the game.
monkey
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:54 pm

GC Saints wrote:(Saints fan here)I voted 9ers i think their the better team between the 2 teams...But The way I see it,The winner of Seahawks/Saints game will repersent The NFC In the Superbowl..So if the Seahawks beat my Saints Saturday ya'll have another fan for the playoffs..Good Luck this weekend,I hope its a better game than the last game

Glad you found your way here. You seem like a good guy. I love talking to fans from different teams and in different parts of the country.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Ironfist » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:22 pm

Hawkstar wrote:
Wright dominated Jimmy G in our last meeting, no Wright this week. Next man up is Smith, but I doubt they'll let Smith go heads up with Jimmy. Expect some big adjustments from Quinn and crew to contain him.

I might suspect that Irvin could possibly fill this role...big, quick and has played some DB in HS & college...
Ironfist
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:33 pm

Vegaseahawk wrote:
GC Saints wrote:(Saints fan here)I voted 9ers i think their the better team between the 2 teams...But The way I see it,The winner of Seahawks/Saints game will repersent The NFC In the Superbowl..So if the Seahawks beat my Saints Saturday ya'll have another fan for the playoffs..Good Luck this weekend,I hope its a better game than the last game

Welcome GC Saints
classy post. We here at the shack always welcome banter from opposing teams fans provided they mind their manners as you have done. I am a Drew Brees fan & have always respected his game & his activity in the community down in 'Nawlins. I too would shift my allgiance to the Saints in these playoffs should disaster strike & my beloved Seahawks (gasp), happen to suffer defeat at the hands of Brees & co this Saturday. Having said that, I would like to propose a wager to you. If the Saints win, I will change my avatar to a Saints related one for the remainder of the playoffs. But if the Seahawks beat the Saints 3 days from today, you must change your avatar to a Seattle Seahawks theme for the same period of time. What say you GC Saints?

Sean Payton has already taken care of that by placing our icon on his practice fields.
RiverDog
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum