Carolina or San Francisco?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Who (Assuming the Hawks Beat NO) Would You Prefer the Hawks to Play - Carolina or San Francisco?

Carolina
35%
San Francisco
65%
N/A - I think the Hawks Go Down To The Bourbon Street Boys
No votes

Total votes : 26

Carolina or San Francisco?

Postby savvyman » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:17 pm

I have already posted on other threads that a Seattle & San Fran NFC championship matchup is what I hope for. The Build up alone to that game would be epic for both cities.
Last edited by savvyman on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
savvyman
Legacy

Re: Carolina or San Francisco?

Postby Long Time Fan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:29 pm

San Fran Fo Sho. This rivalry makes us better for it. Rivalries are built layer by layer over a period of seasons. This one is just getting started. Fear no team. Beating the niners on the way to winning a superbowl will make this season epic! Embrace the challenge.

No great ball player ever prayed for the ball not to be hit his way.
Long Time Fan
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:39 pm

Damn..fingers faster than brain (again). Deduct 1 vote for Carolina. I voted Carolina thiking the question was who will win. I definitely want the 9ers for more reasons than ending their season. The Panthers are the only team left that concern me. Not that I think we will lose (at home??) but I think they can batter and bruise us going into the most important game of our lives (again). The 9ers are also physical, but we have that 9er number...and that number will be 86. As in...86ed from the playoffs. ; )
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby daweez » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:51 pm

Seattle vs 49ers would be a A$$ kicking game to watch for the NFC championship. :mrgreen:
daweez
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:12 pm

I'm hoping for the Niners, simply because they are the weaker of the two opponents, while I am at it I hope that SD gets lucky and advances to the SB as well. Not one to care WHO the Seahawks beat for the first Lombardi, as long as the win it, I'll be content.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:32 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:I'm hoping for the Niners, simply because they are the weaker of the two opponents, while I am at it I hope that SD gets lucky and advances to the SB as well. Not one to care WHO the Seahawks beat for the first Lombardi, as long as the win it, I'll be content.

Yes Carolina is the real deal - Fully capable of winning a Superbowl - their fortunes should rise and fall with how well Cam Newton can execute in the clutch?

Breaking News is that Steve Smith will be ready for the game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/panthers-w ... --nfl.html

As long as our Hawks take care of Business on Saturday - Sundays Carolina and San Francisco game will be a great matchup to watch. If I were the NFL and networks I would flex that game to prime time in the evening.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:34 pm

Not so sure the Niners are the weaker team anymore. They are on a roll (7 straight), and as much as we like to hate on Kapernick he is playing well. But more importantly, their D is nasty right now. Our mediocre line vs their D line is not a good match-up.

But yeah, I think it would be a great, great game.

I like our chances better vs Carolina, mostly because I know the Panthers will struggle big time to score @ C Link. The Panthers offense does not scare me. The 49ers offense doesn't scare me either but with Crabtree back and getting healthy, they are a much more capable offense.

Of course, crushing the 49ers soul at C Link is too delicious to ignore. I'd love nothing better than to p*ss all over that stupid "whose got it better than us!" crap.
Last edited by Irish Greg 2.0 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:34 pm

HawkWow wrote:Damn..fingers faster than brain (again). Deduct 1 vote for Carolina. I voted Carolina thiking the question was who will win. I definitely want the 9ers for more reasons than ending their season. The Panthers are the only team left that concern me. Not that I think we will lose (at home??) but I think they can batter and bruise us going into the most important game of our lives (again). The 9ers are also physical, but we have that 9er number...and that number will be 86. As in...86ed from the playoffs. ; )

Just changed the Poll settings to allow a Shacker to change their vote.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:54 pm

Niners! No doubt about it in my mind. Besides we've been there, done that with Carolina in the NFC Championship game. (btw - that was hands down the most fun I've ever had at a Hawks game!)
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:37 pm

SF.

I mentioned before that I live in CA, about 15 minutes from their new stadium, and would like nothing better than to take them out - again.

As it is, I think the Panthers beat them. 49ers are a good road team, but that was a close game in GB, and now they have to do it all over again next week. They are on a roll, but it's just tough to maintain that kind of focus, execution and intensity.

The biggest X-factor for Carolina, IMO, is how they respond to a playoff game and the pressure that goes along with it, even at home. This is Cam's 1st go at this, along with most of that roster, I imagine, and sometimes the whole thing can be overwhelming. In the end, though, I think we'll be hosting (and beating) the Panthers.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby yoder » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:19 pm

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we still need to play the Saints. Their D is ridiculous.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/team

I so hope this poll exists Sunday morning.
yoder
Site Admin

Postby rottweiler » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:22 pm

I want the Hawks playing the Whiners in the NFC Crown game.

I want the Broncos playing the Bolts in the AFC Crown game.

In other words, an ALL-WEST CROWN BATTLE, just to stick in the craws of all the media clowns who'd rather be talking about crap teams like the Eagles, Stealers, Ravens and Cowpukes right now.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:25 pm

Best to concentrate on Saints game before we start worrying about the NFC title game!
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:59 pm

yoder wrote:Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we still need to play the Saints. Their D is ridiculous.

I know we have to get by the Saints, but their defense is clearly not as advertised. They were supposed to be much improved last time we played, and they barely got out of Philly with a win.

They simply don't pass the eyeball test when you watch them. I give 'em credit for the road playoff win, but they aren't gonna do it twice in a row, and the Seahawks are simply the better team, especially at The Clink.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:26 pm

yoder wrote:Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we still need to play the Saints. Their D is ridiculous.

"Ridiculous"?? Their D is nowhere near as good as ours, SF or Carolina. We scored 27 offensive points in the first game...and we slowed it down in the second half. We could have put up a 50 burger.

Bevell has Ryans number. We crushed his Dallas defense in 2012 and we just dominated his Saints D.

With their injury situation, us at home coming off a bye with rest, and Harvin coming back...they better buckle those chin straps.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby yoder » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:45 pm

I agree I.G., I feel like we have a better D even though it doesn't show up on the stats. More explosive players in many positions. But if the Saints are coming up with better numbers, you can't discount that. #1 in rushing and #3 in passing. I'll call that ridiculous. We spanked them last time, but have a feeling that this will be an entirely different game.

Geez, do I sound nervous?
yoder
Site Admin

Postby Distant Relative » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:58 pm

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:

"Ridiculous"?? Their D is nowhere near as good as ours, SF or Carolina. We scored 27 offensive points in the first game...and we slowed it down in the second half. We could have put up a 50 burger.

Bevell has Ryans number. We crushed his Dallas defense in 2012 and we just dominated his Saints D.

With their injury situation, us at home coming off a bye with rest, and Harvin coming back...they better buckle those chin straps.

First of all there is no guarantee that PH is going to play, secondly if you think the Saints aren't going to make some major adjustments in this game you are only fooling yourself. Sproles is back to what seems to be full health and adds another dimension to their team. Jimmy G is the leader in the NFL for TD catches and Drew Brees is no joke. Greg I get what you and others are saying but there is no way that the Hawks can count this upcoming game as a win! After all that's why they play the game. As far as the bye rest... well we all now that doesn't mean squat.

Not trying to be a downer here, it's just not going to be a gimme, especially the way the Hawks O line is playing. RW got sacked 7 times the lat game they played!

In closing I hope you are right in your assessment!

Go Hawks!
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:13 pm

Distant Relative wrote:
Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:

First of all there is no guarantee that PH is going to play, secondly if you think the Saints aren't going to make some major adjustments in this game you are only fooling yourself. Sproles is back to what seems to be full health and adds another dimension to their team. Jimmy G is the leader in the NFL for TD catches and Drew Brees is no joke. Greg I get what you and others are saying but there is no way that the Hawks can count this upcoming game as a win! After all that's why they play the game. As far as the bye rest... well we all now that doesn't mean squat.

Not trying to be a downer here, it's just not going to be a gimme, especially the way the Hawks O line is playing. RW got sacked 7 times the lat game they played!

Go Hawks!

Wright dominated Jimmy G in our last meeting, no Wright this week. Next man up is Smith, but I doubt they'll let Smith go heads up with Jimmy. Expect some big adjustments from Quinn and crew to contain him.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:19 pm

Distant Relative wrote:
Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:

Go Hawks!

Agree Thanks to the thumping (on National TV) the Saints will be as motivated a team as 53 players possibly can be. Remember last game we got some early turnovers and Touchdowns off those turnovers that led to the blowout - the hawks may not be so fortunate this time.

I think the 4th quarter starts with one team only a single score ahead of the other. (I hope this is wrong and the Hawks have put the game away).

If anyone is feeling cocky all they need to do is look at these two facts:

Last weekend the road team won 3 out of 4 games (and one of the home teams that lost was 8-0 at home in the regular season) - and in the 4th game it took a miracle comeback for the home team (Colts) to win.

Only 2 times in the past 10 years has a number one seeded team won the Superbowl.

Fortunately Pete and his staff are aware of how difficult the road is and are always preaching the "This week is Championship week" dogma to the players.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:52 pm

Distant Relative wrote:
Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:

Go Hawks!

Who is saying the Hawks are counting it as a win? Fans can overlook teams all we want. I guarantee the team isn't.

And you don't think we are going to make adjustments? Scheming, is general, is overrated. It only gets you so far. Match-ups count way more, as does execution. We have better players and we executed better in the first match-up. They will execute better this time, but we are rested and hungry and in our house where we have one loss in the last two seasons and haven't lost a home playoff game since 2004.

I think some of you guys are having a hard time letting go of our Charlie Brown misses the ball when Lucy pulls it away at the last minute past, lol. We aren't 13-3 with the #1 seed for no reason. We'll be ready to rumble.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:11 pm

LOL! Look at Greg strutting those tail feathers!

Not me, I'm more Yoder-esk at the moment. I hate playing a team twice especially a good team like the Saints. Apparently their backfield is really bad due to a lot of injuries. This will create a lot of mismatches, and that's not even including the fact Harvin should be starting. I'm always nervous in the playoffs as loser goes home.......and I don't wanna go home.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:14 pm

"Who is saying the Hawks are counting it as a win?"

The thread.
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:30 pm

Seriously doubt anyone on this thread is a Seahawks player.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:31 pm

Seriously doubt anyone on this thread is a Seahawks player.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:33 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Seriously doubt anyone on this thread is a Seahawks player.

I'm not, but my late father in law worked in the front office back in the day. ;)
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:21 pm

A quick chill ran down my spine after reading this and I fainted for 15 minutes. I'm ok now. :o Thanks.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Ironfist » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:27 pm

Sorry to disagree, but provided we beat NO, I'd prefer Carolina. 49ers may be more confident after their last win against the Hawks. This may be enough to help them overcome some of the Clink...especially after winning in GB and Carolina.

On the other hand, Cam Newton hasn't played here...I think he could be much more susceptible to the 12th man!
Ironfist
Legacy

Postby Clem7 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:49 pm

Well, I'm a fan only and not looking past the Saints.
Clem7
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:22 pm

Distant Relative wrote:"Who is saying the Hawks are counting it as a win?"

The thread.

Matters not. We aren't playing the game.

The team is most definitely not counting as a win. Fans should feel free to be as confident as they want to be. Just be ready for the fall if we lose, lol.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:20 am

yoder wrote:I agree I.G., I feel like we have a better D even though it doesn't show up on the stats. More explosive players in many positions. But if the Saints are coming up with better numbers, you can't discount that. #1 in rushing and #3 in passing. I'll call that ridiculous. We spanked them last time, but have a feeling that this will be an entirely different game.

Stats are interesting, because they can both reflect and mislead what a team is really about.

For the regular season, N.O. finished 2nd in passing offense, as well as 2nd in passing defense. Rushing for both sides of the ball was entirely a different thing - 25th in rushing offense, 19th defending the run.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/no/n ... ans-saints

Not sure exactly where you're coming up with the #1 and #3 rankings for them. Either way, the stat that does ring true is their passing game with Brees overall.

In the end, though, you still have to look at their road stats vs the Seahawks home stats, which are overwhelmingly in our favor, aside from the fact that we pounded these guys last time. The AZ loss still has some spooked it looks like, even though we ended the season nicely with a dominating win. I know it was the Rams, but an 18 pt margin of victory is still no joke, especially with EVERYTHING riding on it.

I'm calling this Saturday 37-20, Seattle. I do think the Saints play better, but the Eagles with a rookie QB nearly beat them, and their defense just doesn't live up to it's ranking, no matter where the stats come from.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:07 am

It's refreshing to see that every once in awhile, I vote with the majority. I want to beat the Niners. What a great way to go onto the Super Bowl!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:05 am

Zorn76 wrote:
yoder wrote:I agree I.G., I feel like we have a better D even though it doesn't show up on the stats. More explosive players in many positions. But if the Saints are coming up with better numbers, you can't discount that. #1 in rushing and #3 in passing. I'll call that ridiculous. We spanked them last time, but have a feeling that this will be an entirely different game.

Stats are interesting, because they can both reflect and mislead what a team is really about.

For the regular season, N.O. finished 2nd in passing offense, as well as 2nd in passing defense. Rushing for both sides of the ball was entirely a different thing - 25th in rushing offense, 19th defending the run.

Not sure exactly where you're coming up with the #1 and #3 rankings for them. Either way, the stat that does ring true is their passing game with Brees overall.

In the end, though, you still have to look at their road stats vs the Seahawks home stats, which are overwhelmingly in our favor, aside from the fact that we pounded these guys last time. The AZ loss still has some spooked it looks like, even though we ended the season nicely with a dominating win. I know it was the Rams, but an 18 pt margin of victory is still no joke, especially with EVERYTHING riding on it.

I'm calling this Saturday 37-20, Seattle. I do think the Saints play better, but the Eagles with a rookie QB nearly beat them, and their defense just doesn't live up to it's ranking, no matter where the stats come from.

They are referring to the above link, which stats stats from Wild Card Weekend.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby GC Saints » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:39 am

(Saints fan here)I voted 9ers i think their the better team between the 2 teams...But The way I see it,The winner of Seahawks/Saints game will repersent The NFC In the Superbowl..So if the Seahawks beat my Saints Saturday ya'll have another fan for the playoffs..Good Luck this weekend,I hope its a better game than the last game
GC Saints
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:56 am

GC Saints wrote:(Saints fan here)I voted 9ers i think their the better team between the 2 teams...But The way I see it,The winner of Seahawks/Saints game will repersent The NFC In the Superbowl..So if the Seahawks beat my Saints Saturday ya'll have another fan for the playoffs..Good Luck this weekend,I hope its a better game than the last game

Welcome GC Saints - By Joining the Seahawk site dedicated to the 12th man you have taken the first step towards successfully converting your allegiance from the New Orleans Saints and becoming one of us - the 12th man.

The Next Step in the process is to purchase a Seahawk Jersey - May I recommend this one?

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13012515&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=34-126467270-2

You are not the first fan of another team to switch allegiances - One of our current members - futurerite - is a former 49er fan who now dreams of raising the 12th man flag at a Seahawk game sometime in the future.

You will find that you are in good company - There have also been many others before you who have switched their allegiance to the Seattle Seahawks - Maybe you recognize this guy?

Last edited by savvyman on Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:00 am

GC Saints wrote:(Saints fan here)I voted 9ers i think their the better team between the 2 teams...But The way I see it,The winner of Seahawks/Saints game will repersent The NFC In the Superbowl..So if the Seahawks beat my Saints Saturday ya'll have another fan for the playoffs..Good Luck this weekend,I hope its a better game than the last game

Good luck to you as well, GC. I see some interesting match-ups coming this Saturday. In the last game KJ Wright had a stupendous game and helped limit Jimmy Graham to 3 catches on the day. KJ will not be playing on Saturday so what the plan will be to cover Graham is a bit of an unknown. Sproles did have the most touches of any Saints player in the last game, 10 touches for about 40 yards. That was great D against a great player, hopeful we can do that again.
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby GC Saints » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:15 am

savvyman wrote:

Welcome GC Saints - By Joining the Seahawk site dedicated to the 12th man you have taken the first step towards successfully converting your allegiance from the New Orleans Saints and becoming one of us - the 12th man.

The Next Step in the process is to purchase a Seahawk Jersey - May I recommend this one?

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13012515&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=34-126467270-2

You are not the first fan of another team to switch allegiances - One of our current members - futurerite - is a former 49er fan who now dreams of raising the 12th man flag at a Seahawk game sometime in the future.

There have also been many others before you who have switched their allegiance to the Seahawks - Maybe you recognize this guy?

Thanks for the welcome,but lets not get carried away lol..I believe i said I would cheer for the Seahawks if they beat My Saints...I Didnt say I was going to buy Seahawks Jersey :lol: ..I can't pull for 9ers or The panthers ..again I do think the 9ers will beat the panther, i dont trust the panthers Secondary , and I'll take the more experienced playoff team between the 2
GC Saints
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:41 am

GC Saints,

I'm right there with you, if the Saints pull off the win I'll be rooting for them to pull off the SB. I can't really stand anyone else left except maybe the Panthers. I expect a much different game this weekend, I just hope the result is the same. :mrgreen:

Welcome BTW.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:25 pm

mykc14 wrote:
Zorn76 wrote:

They are referring to the above link, which stats stats from Wild Card Weekend.

Ah, got it.

Problem there is that it's a one game sample, not an entire season. It remains to be seen how hot the Saints really are in any given category, until they actually play a team that has both a good offense and defense overall. I don't see the Eagles as a good test there.

Regardless, people are giving New Orleans way too much credit heading into this match, especially defensively. I also don't see them putting up 185 yds rushing vs our D, which is what they managed to do in Philly. We shut them down last time.

I think they put up more points, but I see our offense having a good day as well. People need to keep in mind, again, that a rookie QB nearly beat these guys, and that it took a last second FG to advance, just like SF in GB. I think both road teams come up empty in a few days.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:24 am

First, the Saints still have the EXACT SAME matchup problem they had last time they were here...what has changed other than the media HOPING something has, and inventing reasons the Saints could win? Just because the media who is clearly, in general, actively rooting against Seattle, wants the Saints to win (have they so quickly forgotten bountygate?!?), and is writing article after article about how the Saints will pull the upset, doesn't mean we fans should ignore what we KNOW to be true about the matchup.

Bottom line: The Saints defense is NOT AT ALL good enough to stop Seattle's offense. They will not be able to both stop Lynch AND the passing game, they just do not have the talent to do both. Eventually one or the other WILL break through, and the Saints defense WILL crack, just exactly like last time.
Also, nothing has changed about the turnover differential either, the Seahawks are one of the BEST at creating turnovers, and the Saints are one of the worst.

The media will focus on the strength on strength matchup of Seahawks secondary vs. Saints passing game, just as they did last time (how did that turn out BTW?!?) and just like last time, they will be focusing on the WRONG THING!
I said it last time we faced them, and I picked an easy Seahawks win, it's the Seahawks OFFENSE that will prove to be the big difference, because the Saints defense just does NOT have the talent to run with us.
The media will continue to talk about the wonderful job that Ryan has done for that Saints defense (that's fair, he has done a terrific job), while IGNORING the fact that the scheme he has employed to make the turnaround, is VERY risk intensive. Very high risk, constant blitzing etc... is what has changed that defense around.
That's important because Russell Wilson LOVES to exploit blitzes. In fact, as it has been reported and confirmed, time and time again, his numbers IMPROVE under pressure, and the big plays we get INCREASE against blitzes.

As for Carolina or San Fran? I'm convinced it will be San Fran. They're just the better team, and as of late, they are really playing like it too.
I hate that Crabtreee has made such a difference, but he really has.
Still, as much as I would LOVE to see the hated Niners bumped off, I think there's a much bigger part of me that prefers to face the Niners.
It looks to me like a Seahawks vs. Niners NFC championship game is just...destined to be. I'll be surprised if that doesn't happen.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:40 am

Welcome GC Saints
classy post. We here at the shack always welcome banter from opposing teams fans provided they mind their manners as you have done. I am a Drew Brees fan & have always respected his game & his activity in the community down in 'Nawlins. I too would shift my allgiance to the Saints in these playoffs should disaster strike & my beloved Seahawks (gasp), happen to suffer defeat at the hands of Brees & co this Saturday. Having said that, I would like to propose a wager to you. If the Saints win, I will change my avatar to a Saints related one for the remainder of the playoffs. But if the Seahawks beat the Saints 3 days from today, you must change your avatar to a Seattle Seahawks theme for the same period of time. What say you GC Saints?
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum