The Media is loving the niners

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

The Media is loving the niners

Postby mykc14 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:02 pm

Don't get me wrong I think the niners are the second best team in the NFL and the team that poses the biggest threat to our first SB, but what is the deal with all of the love the niners are getting after beating GB. Two days in a row ESPN has had front page articles about how the niners are the SB favorites now when the best 4 teams in either conference haven't even played a playoff game. My main question is what has changed. Aren't the niners exactly who we thought they were? Future, maybe you can help me with this, why all the new love for the niners? I mean the niners have always been good. They Only lost 4 games this year, all to playoff teams. I also want to add that I still think the Hawks are a better team, but why are people all the sudden jumping all over the niners? Am I missing something. Did they show something in GB that we didn't know about them? IMO they didn't. We already knew they were good, could win on the road in the playoffs, and were SB caliber. I don't get it.

This isn't meant to be a "whose better the Hawks or niners" thread (we already know that Hawks are) or a thread to compare the teams, simply a question: what changed with the GB game?
Last edited by mykc14 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mykc14
Legacy

Re: The Media is loving the niners

Postby Steady_Hawk » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:12 pm

I expected the Niners to blow GB out, the only reason it was won in the last minute was because of Kap's bad decisions. GB had a skeleton of a D and still had a chance to win that game. Pretty impressive on their part really. Kap, not so much.

I really wonder what all of the headlines would have read had GB won the game. What would have been said about Kap then?
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:18 pm

Steady_Hawk wrote:I expected the Niners to blow GB out, the only reason it was won in the last minute was because of Kap's bad decisions. GB had a skeleton of a D and still had a chance to win that game. Pretty impressive on their part really. Kap, not so much.

I really wonder what all of the headlines would have read had GB won the game. What would have been said about Kap then?

I agree, this is what is weird to me. There is no doubt the Niners were a better team then GB, so why all love all the sudden. Any road win in the playoffs is good, but IMO it wasn't the most impressive win of the weekend, I think that belongs to the Chargers.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:29 am

The GB game was much closer than expected, but I thought Kaepernick did a nice job overall, particularly running the ball (98 yds, with several of them clutch 1st downs).

That said, I do think the Panthers beat them next Sunday. Their defense is for real, and they have just enough offense to overcome their lack of collective playoff experience experience as a team.

It is what it is. The media aren't Seahawk fans. Never have been, never will be. I just watched a segment on that website that only spoke of what New Orleans has to do, conveniently ignoring how dominate we've been overall at The Clink.

Ridiculous, but very typical of how we're discussed and covered publicly.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:59 am

mykc14 wrote:Don't get me wrong I think the niners are the second best team in the NFL and the team that poses the biggest threat to our first SB, but what is the deal with all of the love the niners are getting after beating GB. Two days in a row ESPN has had front page articles about how the niners are the SB favorites now when the best 4 teams in either conference haven't even played a playoff game. My main question is what has changed. Aren't the niners exactly who we thought they were? Future, maybe you can help me with this, why all the new love for the niners? I mean the niners have always been good. They Only lost 4 games this year, all to playoff teams. I also want to add that I still think the Hawks are a better team, but why are people all the sudden jumping all over the niners? Am I missing something. Did they show something in GB that we didn't know about them? IMO they didn't. We already knew they were good, could win on the road in the playoffs, and were SB caliber. I don't get it.

This isn't meant to be a "whose better the Hawks or niners" thread (we already know that Hawks are) or a thread to compare the teams, simply a question: what changed with the GB game?

Hello, mykc...

I think we touched on this subject in another thread. IMO, the media is always slow to react to a changing of the guard. The Niners are clearly the most consistent team in the NFL over the past 3 years. They went to the NFC Championship game two years ago, coming within an eyelash of going to the SB, went to the SB a year ago and came within an eyelash of winning the Lombardi, then had an outstanding regular season this year, finishing with a 12-4 record. It's like a boxer having to decisively beat the defending champ until the changing of the guard is complete, and so far, we haven't done that, or at least haven't done it when it counts, ie the playoffs.

The media love fest doesn't bother me one little bit. I am very confident that with our home field advantage, we can beat the Niners. We may not blow them off the field out as we did in our last two previous meetings in our house, but I definitely think we'll beat them decisively. We are the better team.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:23 am

We live in a society where "What have you done for me lately", & "Outta sight, outta mind", are the order of the day. The niners are getting press because they are playing this week, Seattle isn't. The loss to Az has some believing that the Seahawks aren't rolling into the playoffs, & the mystique surrounding Quest has been dulled by the fact that, yes, the Seattle Seahawks are human, and have flaws. Having said all that, there are still plenty of folks out there saying that Seattle is going to advance to, & win the Super Bowl. I am among those people.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:03 am

They're also getting respect because they have won what is it now, 6 in a row?
We all know that a team with a hot hand can do a lot of damage in the playoffs - even go on to win it, so no wonder SF is getting so much attention.
It's not about Seattle being dissed or overlooked, rather the recent history of wins.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Feez » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:35 am

Steady_Hawk wrote:I expected the Niners to blow GB out, the only reason it was won in the last minute was because of Kap's bad decisions. GB had a skeleton of a D and still had a chance to win that game. Pretty impressive on their part really. Kap, not so much.

Exactly my take on this too. I wasn't overly impressed with SF especially facing a weakened GB

PS it won't matter because the Panthers are going to beat the Niners any way. I am ok with the Hawks not being the media darlings this year and consdering our sputtering offense I can kind of see why we aren't
Feez
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:36 am

Plus writers can't write about the same team every week. That's why no one held onto the #1 spot in all the power rankings for more than a couple weeks. It was pretty clear all year that Seattle, Denver and SF were the class of the league with the Panthers being late to the Party.

But both SF and Seattle both spent time outside of the top five (with bogus reasoning) because without the churn they can't hold people's eyes and keep people fussing.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby Oly » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:25 pm

RiverDog wrote:I think we touched on this subject in another thread. IMO, the media is always slow to react to a changing of the guard. The Niners are clearly the most consistent team in the NFL over the past 3 years. They went to the NFC Championship game two years ago, coming within an eyelash of going to the SB, went to the SB a year ago and came within an eyelash of winning the Lombardi, then had an outstanding regular season this year, finishing with a 12-4 record. It's like a boxer having to decisively beat the defending champ until the changing of the guard is complete, and so far, we haven't done that, or at least haven't done it when it counts, ie the playoffs.

The media love fest doesn't bother me one little bit. I am very confident that with our home field advantage, we can beat the Niners. We may not blow them off the field out as we did in our last two previous meetings in our house, but I definitely think we'll beat them decisively. We are the better team.

Remove the word "decisively" from the penultimate sentence and I agree completely. The Niners are the 2nd best team IMO and will only improve when Crabtree gets more reps with Kaepernick. I think the Hawks are better, but with the offense being less-than-stellar of late and the Niners D really coming on, I think it will be a tight game. If they get by the Panthers, which isn't a sure thing, of course.
Oly
Legacy

Postby Long Time Fan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:38 pm

San Fran lost to each of the remaining NFC teams, while the Seahawks beat each of the remaining NFC teams. Still, the 9ers are the "hot" team with the experience of having "been there". The difference maker is that likely San Fran must win two road games to get back to the SB, while the Seahawks need to hold serve with the best home field advantage in the NFL. What trumps what, hot and experienced or hungry with home field? I like our chances.
Long Time Fan
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:40 pm

RiverDog wrote:
mykc14 wrote:Don't get me wrong I think the niners are the second best team in the NFL and the team that poses the biggest threat to our first SB, but what is the deal with all of the love the niners are getting after beating GB. Two days in a row ESPN has had front page articles about how the niners are the SB favorites now when the best 4 teams in either conference haven't even played a playoff game. My main question is what has changed. Aren't the niners exactly who we thought they were? Future, maybe you can help me with this, why all the new love for the niners? I mean the niners have always been good. They Only lost 4 games this year, all to playoff teams. I also want to add that I still think the Hawks are a better team, but why are people all the sudden jumping all over the niners? Am I missing something. Did they show something in GB that we didn't know about them? IMO they didn't. We already knew they were good, could win on the road in the playoffs, and were SB caliber. I don't get it.

Hello, mykc...

I think we touched on this subject in another thread. IMO, the media is always slow to react to a changing of the guard. The Niners are clearly the most consistent team in the NFL over the past 3 years. They went to the NFC Championship game two years ago, coming within an eyelash of going to the SB, went to the SB a year ago and came within an eyelash of winning the Lombardi, then had an outstanding regular season this year, finishing with a 12-4 record. It's like a boxer having to decisively beat the defending champ until the changing of the guard is complete, and so far, we haven't done that, or at least haven't done it when it counts, ie the playoffs.

Hey River,
I agree about the media lovefest, I am not one who is looking for more media love for the Hawks, I just wanted to make sure that I didn't miss something about SF's win in GB. I agree we are the better team, and hopefully we will prevail where they have fallen short!
mykc14
Legacy

Postby monkey » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:10 pm

The Niners have been a much loved team for a long long time. Ever since the days of Joe Montana, the media as a whole has been head over heels for the Niners.
It is what it is.
This year, the media will go out of it's way to paint the picture of the Niners as the good guys, and the Seahawks as the bad guys. It's already out there in twitterland (per the Twitter positive/negative mention article), the media will no doubt capitalize on that, especially since it fits so nicely with what they've always pushed anyway.
Remember Superbowl XL, and how the story wasn't the dominant Seahawks, who were making their first ever Superbowl appearance, instead it was the return to home, farewell tour of "The Bus".
Clearly that couldn't POSSIBLY be the more interesting storyline, it couldn't possibly have been more interesting nationally.
Normally the media goes out of its way to push the haves (Steelers with four rings) vs. have nots storyline, but that wasn't the storyline the media pushed.

Point is, don't ever expect the media to get behind the Seahawks, especially when there is a media favorite like the Niners out there to get behind instead.
monkey
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:20 pm

Now we know how the 49ers got by Green Bay - Inspiration provided by the Nature Boy - Woooooooooooooooooo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oviTQ-4hJTY
savvyman
Legacy

Postby Clem7 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:23 pm

Fine, we don't want to be America's team. We are the Seahawks.

I believe we are beginning a yearly run where the darlings will have to deal with us.
Clem7
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:34 pm

savvyman wrote:Now we know how the 49ers got by Green Bay - Inspiration provided by the Nature Boy - Woooooooooooooooooo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oviTQ-4hJTY

Well I spent 3 minutes thinking about it - It is very difficult to top the Nature Boy (Wooooooooooooooo) as your playoff motivational speaker mascot - However if I can offer the Seahawks a candidate for one of their own it would be this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYtlSpQMqAU
savvyman
Legacy

Postby daweez » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:47 pm

I wonder how much they will love them after Carolina beats them this week?
daweez
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:34 am

Clem7 wrote:Fine, we don't want to be America's team. We are the Seahawks.

I believe we are beginning a yearly run where the darlings will have to deal with us.

Me, either. Nor do I want to see street gangs wearing our paraphernalia like they did with the Raiders. I'm OK with being the team from Timbuktu or where ever the rest of the country thinks Seattle is in.

We do seem to be the trendy team, with the most contemporary uniforms in the league, Pete's coaching style being rather unique and un-Lombardi like, and our 12th man/home field advantage adding a bit of mystique to our reputation. I'm OK with all of that, but it's not something I necessarily crave. All I care about is winning football games.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:05 am

daweez wrote:I wonder how much they will love them after Carolina beats them this week?

I am feeling as if this is a more likely scenario. Especially at Carolina's house, and Steve Smith rushing back from his injury.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:28 am

RiverDog wrote:
Clem7 wrote:Fine, we don't want to be America's team. We are the Seahawks.

Me, either. Nor do I want to see street gangs wearing our paraphernalia like they did with the Raiders. I'm OK with being the team from Timbuktu or where ever the rest of the country thinks Seattle is in.

We do seem to be the trendy team, with the most contemporary uniforms in the league, Pete's coaching style being rather unique and un-Lombardi like, and our 12th man/home field advantage adding a bit of mystique to our reputation. I'm OK with all of that, but it's not something I necessarily crave. All I care about is winning football games.

I don't mind the publicity either RD. Gangs sporting Seahawk paraphernalia? They'd be laughed right out of the hood though.
And yes RD I will accept the publicity, love from the media as we make our little SB run. We are the favorites. We will be held in high regard throughout the playoffs barring the zebras messing too much with the game. The publicity for us will be extremely pleasant. However, more important than everything I just said is what Al Davis (RIP) used to say back in the day "Just win baby".

That's all I care about, the publicity, the egos, RW's psychotherapist, "Stop freaking call Beacon" commercials, what dance will Sherman do next and his Comcast commercials and everything else is just PUFF. I don't mind puff, but I prefer to "just win baby".
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum