Top 10/Bottom 10 All Time Seahawk Draft Picks

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Top 10/Bottom 10 All Time Seahawk Draft Picks

Postby RiverDog » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:00 am

I ran across a couple of interesting lists.

Top 10: http://projects.seattletimes.com/2015/s ... rafts/top/

Bottom 10: http://projects.seattletimes.com/2015/s ... ts/bottom/

Russell is ranked at the top, which IMO is too high considering he's only going into his 4th season. Big Walt ought to be #1. But I suppose they give some extra weight to the lower round guys, which would explain why Sherman and Chancellor are ranked higher than Earl.

Curry is ranked as the worst pick. IMO his situation was a lot like Bosworth and Mirer in that most every GM in the league would have taken those guys if they were in the Seahawks position at the time. But there's an obvious omission, or maybe the author was just too young to remember, but one of the worst draft picks we ever made was a player named Andre Hines, a 2nd round pick in 1980, an OT out of Stanford. There was a controversy over whether or not his selection was a mistake, that our FO at the time thought they were drafting his teammate instead of Hines. IMO regardless of intent, Hines has to be in the top 5 worst blunders.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Top 10/Bottom 10 All Time Seahawk Draft Picks

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:43 am

Good read, River. The one I think about is the Tubbs pick. I really liked it, and, when he was on, it was a different defense. Injuries were part of his demise, but it seems he also couldn't stay in shape. Would have been nice to have him around longer.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:43 am

Oh Curry by far. Body like Tarzan, played like Jane. I was right on the Tubbs pick, and I hated myself for it! Hines ate himself out of the NFL before he ever started.
Honorable mentions: Dan McGwire, Lamar King, Lawrence Jackson. ALL 1st round BUST.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:36 pm

I didn't like Tubbs being included on that list, either. You might as well as include players like Chris McIntosh, who was a first round pick that never produced largely due to injuries. As a matter of fact, McIntosh played in fewer games (24) than did Tubbs (29) and both were taken at almost the identical spot overall. I'd argue that Tubbs had better productivity in the games he played in vs. those McIntosh played in. I can remember there being a huge difference in our ability to stop the run with Tubbs in the lineup vs. when he was out.

Obi, I agree that Curry belongs on that list somewhere, but I don't think it was one of those forehead slapping bonehead picks like Dan McGuire or Lamar King.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum