Seattle weather this Saturday

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Seattle weather this Saturday

Postby Distant Relative » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:24 pm

As of now the weather is predicted to be 100% chance of rain with south winds of 24mph.

I think this will affect the Saints more than the Hawks. Looking forward to this game and if you're going and your not under cover bring your rain gear.

Go Hawks!
Distant Relative
Legacy

Re: Seattle weather this Saturday

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:34 pm

The wind is what really sucks, lol.

We have the advantage, no matter what the weather. Lots of Beast Mode on Saturday, while shutting down their run game, which did zilch the last time they were up here, even if they were behind early.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:50 pm

Distant Relative wrote:As of now the weather is predicted to be 100% chance of rain with south winds of 24mph.

I think this will affect the Saints more than the Hawks. Looking forward to this game and if you're going and your not under cover bring your rain gear.

Go Hawks!

I love the way we've built this team. The old adage "defense wins championships", is suddenly being dismissed. Bozos like Warren Sapp will spout "defense gets you there, the offense has to win it". I think had he been a O-lineman, he'd be saying the opposite...but I digress.

Weather is the reason defense wins championships, IMO.
Last edited by HawkWow on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:53 pm

Distant Relative wrote:As of now the weather is predicted to be 100% chance of rain with south winds of 24mph.

Go Hawks!

Anytime your team matches up better with your opponent, as we do with the Saints, you don't want to introduce an unknown element into the equation like the weather. Therefore, we need to be wishing for fair weather and perfect playing conditions.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:06 pm

RiverDog wrote:

Go Hawks!

Anytime your team matches up better with your opponent, as we do with the Saints, you don't want to introduce an unknown element into the equation like the weather. Therefore, we need to be wishing for fair weather and perfect playing conditions.

Guess it's part of being an outdoor team huh RD? At this time of year it's a little unreasonable to have perfect playing conditions but I get what your saying.
I myself think this gives the Hawks an advantage against the Saints passing attack but I guess we will see.

GO Hawks!
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby Clem7 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:02 pm

Sounds like similar weather as the 49er game at the Clink this year.

Works for me as long as Turbin isn't running back kickoffs.
Clem7
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:54 am

Weather factors could also give us a break to have Percy Harvin back. Trick plays, reverses, and him running back kicks in the rain and wind.

js
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:19 am

Clem7 wrote:Sounds like similar weather as the 49er game at the Clink this year.

Works for me as long as Turbin isn't running back kickoffs.

+1 :lol:
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:15 am

jshawaii22 wrote:Weather factors could also give us a break to have Percy Harvin back. Trick plays, reverses, and him running back kicks in the rain and wind.

js

I want us to pull a rabbit out of a hat each down. I want us fans to say collectively WOW, or DAMN! Every play the offense has the ball.
You described it perfectly.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby wait_a_sec » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:10 am

This weather could effect the kicking/punt/field goal game more than anything. Make sure them hands are ready for a slippery ball.
wait_a_sec
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:28 am

I hope it's abysmal. Bad weather is a major advantage for us.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:30 am

Zorn76 wrote:The wind is what really sucks, lol.

We have the advantage, no matter what the weather. Lots of Beast Mode on Saturday, while shutting down their run game, which did zilch the last time they were up here, even if they were behind early.

I'm with you that the advantage rests squarely with the Hawks. But IMHO it's only because of the 12th Man.

The Eagles had one of the best running games in the League in 2013. On paper, they should have been able to control the clock against the pass-happy Saints at Lincoln Financial in arctic weather conditions last Saturday.

But they didn't.

Don't be too sure that the Hawks' running game is better — or more importantly, playoff-ready — than the Saints'.

The Saints have the experience and depth at the position to surprise some people on the road this Saturday.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:50 pm

Wow, Rott becoming the voice of reason... must be the new Forum.

Talking heads say the wind is far more affecting than the 'weather' itself. Wind destroys passing games over 10 yards. This really puts in on us to stop Jimmy Graham again.

js
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Oly » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:20 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:Wind destroys passing games over 10 yards. This really puts in on us to stop Jimmy Graham again.

This, combined with Wright's injury, is why I think Saturday will be much closer than the previous game. I still like the Hawks to win, but I'd guess it won't be by more than 1 score.
Oly
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:30 pm

Not to be contrary, but I disagree completely!
The winds BLOWS Zorn! The wind BLOWS!
:P :D
monkey
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:32 pm

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:38 pm

Distant Relative wrote:
RiverDog wrote:

Go Hawks!

Guess it's part of being an outdoor team huh RD? At this time of year it's a little unreasonable to have perfect playing conditions but I get what your saying.
I myself think this gives the Hawks an advantage against the Saints passing attack but I guess we will see.

GO Hawks!

Well, I guess it depends on what you call 'perfect.'. There are some nice, calm, clear days that even if it is sub freezing, constitutes 'perfect' playing conditions IMO. But if you're a FG kicker, I suppose you would call 'perfect' a domed stadium or a calm, 90 degree, 0 humidity, and 5,000 ft elevation to be 'perfect'.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:19 pm

"Well, I guess it depends on what you call 'perfect.'. There are some nice, calm, clear days that even if it is sub freezing, constitutes 'perfect' playing conditions IMO. But if you're a FG kicker, I suppose you would call 'perfect' a domed stadium or a calm, 90 degree, 0 humidity, and 5,000 ft elevation to be 'perfect'."

You tell me RD, you are the one that used the word "perfect". I wasn't aware of the fact that you were talking about "perfect" kicking weather till now. Thanks for clearing that up. It all makes since now! :shock:
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:29 pm

Distant Relative wrote:"Well, I guess it depends on what you call 'perfect.'. There are some nice, calm, clear days that even if it is sub freezing, constitutes 'perfect' playing conditions IMO. But if you're a FG kicker, I suppose you would call 'perfect' a domed stadium or a calm, 90 degree, 0 humidity, and 5,000 ft elevation to be 'perfect'."

You tell me RD, you are the one that used the word "perfect". I wasn't aware of the fact that you were talking about "perfect" kicking weather till now. Thanks for clearing that up. It all makes since now! :shock:

I mis-used the term 'perfect.'. But just to clear things up as to my intentions, I'm wishing for clear skies, calm wind, temps in the mid 40's in Seattle this Saturday. Good teams don't need a weather advantage, and we're better than the Saints.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:44 pm

RiverDog wrote:
Distant Relative wrote:"Well, I guess it depends on what you call 'perfect.'. There are some nice, calm, clear days that even if it is sub freezing, constitutes 'perfect' playing conditions IMO. But if you're a FG kicker, I suppose you would call 'perfect' a domed stadium or a calm, 90 degree, 0 humidity, and 5,000 ft elevation to be 'perfect'."

I mis-used the term 'perfect.'. But just to clear things up as to my intentions, I'm wishing for clear skies, calm wind, temps in the mid 40's in Seattle this Saturday. Good teams don't need a weather advantage, and we're better than the Saints.

Cool RD, thanks for "clearing" that up. :?
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:48 pm

rottweiler wrote:

I'm with you that the advantage rests squarely with the Hawks. But IMHO it's only because of the 12th Man.

The Eagles had one of the best running games in the League in 2013. On paper, they should have been able to control the clock against the pass-happy Saints at Lincoln Financial in arctic weather conditions last Saturday.

But they didn't.

Don't be too sure that the Hawks' running game is better — or more importantly, playoff-ready — than the Saints'.

The Saints have the experience and depth at the position to surprise some people on the road this Saturday.

Hey rott - paw shake, homeslice:)

We know anything's possible in the playoffs, but I just don't see N.O. running well at The Clink this Saturday. They may get more than the 44 total rush yds they had last time (and a 2.6 ypc), but not enough to offset the pressure we'll be putting on Drew.

Our rush avg last time vs Saints wasn't much better (3.3ypc), but we still had 6 rushing first downs compared to their 2. Grasping at straws a bit here, lol, but we still win even if running game is a push.

The Saints haven't won back-to-back road games all year, and I doubt they start now:)
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:23 am

Well folks here is another weather thing that no one mentioned.

Humid air equals a higher molecular weight of air than non-humid air. Sound has to travel not only through (100 percent humidity) raindrops but through the helmets and earpieces the Saints will be wearing.
In a desert, you can stand on a rock and say "Rott", "Rott". He will hear you up to miles away. Not so much if its raining.

What does this mean?

Stadium will still be loud. And the Saints will still have problems. However it will not be as loud as during no-rain conditions.
Physics. Physics.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:11 pm

It looks like it's going to be pretty nasty tomorrow, 90% chance of rain, temps in the upper 40's, wind 20-30 mph. I'd like to think that inclement weather is to our advantage, but we won't know that for sure until sometime in the 2nd quarter or so. I'm worried about turnovers, especially on special teams. They can keep the ball relatively dry on offensive plays, but when it's flying through the air for 4-5 seconds, it's going to get wet and slippery.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:25 pm

RiverDog wrote:It looks like it's going to be pretty nasty tomorrow, 90% chance of rain, temps in the upper 40's, wind 20-30 mph. I'd like to think that inclement weather is to our advantage, but we won't know that for sure until sometime in the 2nd quarter or so. I'm worried about turnovers, especially on special teams. They can keep the ball relatively dry on offensive plays, but when it's flying through the air for 4-5 seconds, it's going to get wet and slippery.

Our ST gaffes returning the ball are really tied into one player - Turbin - and he's benched for good there. Otherwise, we did have a FG and punt blocked this year, and with a slick turf you have to take as much precaution as possible.

Tate will be fine, and I think Harvin will, too. The latter would be the only real concern, since he hasn't been out there but for one return. If our defense plays the way it's capable of, Seattle may not see many kickoff return opportunities anyway.

I just don't see any weather related stuff working in the Saints favor. They did win last week - barely - but outside of cold temps they didn't face much in the way of adversity. Meanwhile, the Seahawks seem to play well in these conditions. The main hurdle for our opponent is winning back to back road games, and I just don't see it happening in Seattle.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:44 pm

We haven't had to play in any real adverse weather conditions this season, so it's not as if we are as used to it as ducks are to water.

Can you tell that I'm getting real nervous? I don't remember being this nervous on the eve of a big game back when I played organized sports.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:30 am

RiverDog wrote:We haven't had to play in any real adverse weather conditions this season, so it's not as if we are as used to it as ducks are to water.

Can you tell that I'm getting real nervous? I don't remember being this nervous on the eve of a big game back when I played organized sports.

Weather will be nasty as you said. And I don't remember the hawks playing in similar weather outside our only loss at the Clink this year to the Cards.
Our offense has to be "reborn" in order for me to feel good about our win. If we win we win. But offensive play must improve. Weather or not.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum