49'ers: Worst Offseason Ever?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

49'ers: Worst Offseason Ever?

Postby RiverDog » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:36 am

A decent article and interesting top 10...er, rather bottom 10. It should be required reading for every 49'er fan.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 23454.html
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: 49'ers: Worst Offseason Ever?

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:47 am

That's certainly a lot of talent to lose in one year, but sometimes adversity brings out the best in people.
Any depth they had will be tested, and they still have some talent on the team.
With parity in the NFL, they can't be taken lightly by any team. By that I mean on any given Sunday...

That being said, it will take a huge effort to have a winning record, in my opinion.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:54 am

It will ultimately be measured by how they do in the next few seasons but I certainly can't think of a team ever losing this many players or coaches who are considered to be among the best at their jobs in one season.

I just don't see how you can have an offseason this tumultuous and come out on the other side on an upswing.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:59 am

We wont know till they tee it up. On the face of it it looks awful but stranger things have happened. I hope they are worse than predicted...
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:30 am

One of the problems with a ranking like this is that the other teams' off seasons can be measured in part on how well they performed in the ensuing season, but of course, the Niners have yet to embark on their next campaign.

But nevertheless, the comparison between them and those other certified abortions is striking.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:07 pm

It's certainly up there. I wouldn't want to bet the ranch on them this year, but then again, at least they are not the JETS...

js
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:03 pm

Any given Sunday. There are still proud men in that locker room who will enter the season with ZERO pressure. I think this coach is a key. With the talent drain he will need to be exceptional with the motivation and Xs and Os.It looks like too big a hill for them to climb, especially in this division.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktown » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:17 pm

could it get any better for the 9ers??? WOW!!! http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ks-charged. maybe I'm late to this party, IDK.
Hawktown
Legacy

Postby LTH » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:25 pm

Kinda funny how the Seahawks make a living playing off adversity....

LTH
LTH
Legacy

Postby LTH » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:28 pm

NorthHawk wrote:That's certainly a lot of talent to lose in one year, but sometimes adversity brings out the best in people.
Any depth they had will be tested, and they still have some talent on the team.
With parity in the NFL, they can't be taken lightly by any team. By that I mean on any given Sunday...

That being said, it will take a huge effort to have a winning record, in my opinion.

Kinda funny How the Seahawks make their living playing off adversity....
LTH
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:50 pm

Yeah, but the Seahawks also have a lot of talent, too.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:32 am

We'll see what SF ends up doing in terms of Brooks.

Since this is "only" his 2nd arrest or so, maybe he stays, lol.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:08 am

We'll also see what the NFL will do considering it's emphasis on combating Domestic Violence.
The 49ers have sent him home, but haven't suspended him. Yet.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby LTH » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:25 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Yeah, but the Seahawks also have a lot of talent, too.

Yeah they do... but at one time that talent was seriously undervalued... Sherman 5th round etc... I think what my point is it can be done cause the seahawks did it...

LTH
LTH
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:16 pm

A couple of weeks ago I still strongly believed our D was top 5. Very strong and deep up front, 3 very atheletic (and talented) LBs in Bo, Lynch and Brooks, outstanding safeties and some good young corners. Then we lost Brooks and Aldon. Though I always expect good things as a fan, I'd say those two losses have prob offically tanked any chance of that.

So yes, I'd say it's the worst offseason that I can remember.

That said, it's still a very talented and now much younger team. I know a lot of people in the bay who believe we may still shock a lot of people. I am in that camp.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:22 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Yeah, but the Seahawks also have a lot of talent, too.

Hawks lost some important pieces but still have their core in tact. And, they get some guys back like Mebane and a healthy Wright. So the losses are mitigated to some degree.

We lost Willis, Aldon, Boreland, A. Davis and Brooks unexpectedly. It's one thing when you lose a guy you know may retire or leave via FA. You can prepare for that. No way to prepare for losing major cogs like this out of nowhere.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:31 am

Future,

Personally, I think the difference between the 49ers and Seahawks is pretty evident after this off-season.

Kaep will need to score 30 points a game to win
Russell will need to score 17 points a game to win

How many wins each team gets is dependent on their QB's to perform at that level. Now who do you think has a better chance to meet those goals over 16 games?
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:54 am

Plus in addition to all those familiar faces leaving you have a new head coach. If the Niners make the playoffs with the offseason they've had I'll be nominating Jim Tomsula as COY no matter how good of a season any other team has.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:59 am

Old but Slow wrote:The rivalry has been awesome, and I hope that it can reignite in the future. I may be wrong, but the Niners may drop into the cellar in this tough division this year.

As much as I dislike the Niners, and am loving their implosion, I am at the same time, disappointed. The rivalry of two seasons ago was probably my favorite thing about that season. I LOVE the Niners Seahawks rivalry, it's just not the same with the Rams and Cards who don''t have psycho level loyal fans who hate the Seahawks the same way the Niners do.
The Niners and their fans are just so easy to hate, and I know they say the exact same about us. That's what makes it so darned fun.
monkey
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:12 am

I agree, except as it relates to our own success, I want to see the Niners do well. This has been the best rivalry in the league over the past 3-4 seasons, something we've been sorely lacking since we left the AFC West. I don't have the same type of animosity against Tomsula that I had against Harbaugh, at least not yet. I'd much rather see the Cowboys do a face plant rather than the Niners.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:32 am

Old but Slow wrote:Future, I feel bad for your team losing so many key elements. The rivalry has been awesome, and I hope that it can reignite in the future. I may be wrong, but the Niners may drop into the cellar in this tough division this year. If they can find a way to battle themselves out, more power to them. But there are cycles in the league, as teams rise to the top only to sink as salary cap issues, injuries, retirements, and such take effect. The strength of a front office is the ability to avoid the severe drops that occur when contracts come due, and players leave for financial reasons. So far, the Seahawks have been able to avoid the kind of salary traps that result in huge dead money, and money payed to players long gone.

The Chancellor issue is a big one for the franchise, because although he is a big cog in the machine, changing his contract at this point is like opening a gab in the dam. If they can find a way to give him some guarantees without increasing the bottom line, something might get done. But, finally, no one player is the difference. I love Kam, but to crumble the team to satisfy one player? Not likely.
Old but Slow wrote:Future, I feel bad for your team losing so many key elements. The rivalry has been awesome, and I hope that it can reignite in the future. I may be wrong, but the Niners may drop into the cellar in this tough division this year. If they can find a way to battle themselves out, more power to them. But there are cycles in the league, as teams rise to the top only to sink as salary cap issues, injuries, retirements, and such take effect. The strength of a front office is the ability to avoid the severe drops that occur when contracts come due, and players leave for financial reasons. So far, the Seahawks have been able to avoid the kind of salary traps that result in huge dead money, and money payed to players long gone.

The Chancellor issue is a big one for the franchise, because although he is a big cog in the machine, changing his contract at this point is like opening a gab in the dam. If they can find a way to give him some guarantees without increasing the bottom line, something might get done. But, finally, no one player is the difference. I love Kam, but to crumble the team to satisfy one player? Not likely.

Well, the Hawks' FO strategy has been much better than ours so far. They found a lot of talent in later RDs and at least swung on some big name FAs. Overall it's worked. Baalke's strategy has been to draft injured players and take chances on talented malcontents in lieu of signing big name FAs. Overall I'd say that strategy is failing. It all stsrts with Jed York, and he has no vision whatsoever for this team or what the org stands for.

I doubt Seahawks slip much. If Chancellor is lost for aby period of time, that's huge. But the entire team has earned the faith that other players or units will step up to fill the void. IMO they aee still prob a 12 win team, as has been my prediction all offseason.

Like I posted though, I honestly do not know what to expect from Reaser, Acker (reddhirt corners) and other players who'll be playing this yr. I know Lemonier is a subpar OLB, but Eli Harol may take his slot very quickly. The O has talent, so I have no idea what to expect there. It's on Kap to have a big yr, but I am not banking on that. I think he'll have a very good yr, but he is still not looking like an elite QB.

All in all after losses of Aldon and Brooks I would not be surprised at this point if we do have a sub .500 yr. But I still want to see all of these unknowns play out. Still excited about the yr.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:43 am

jshawaii22 wrote:Future,

Personally, I think the difference between the 49ers and Seahawks is pretty evident after this off-season.

Kaep will need to score 30 points a game to win
Russell will need to score 17 points a game to win

How many wins each team gets is dependent on their QB's to perform at that level. Now who do you think has a better chance to meet those goals over 16 games?

Yes, you are absolutely right. Logically Seattle gets 12, we get 7 maybe 8. Hell, I still want to see the guys play though. Kap is not showing anything as of yet in this extemely small sample size to lead me to believe he'll have a monster yr scoring 30 ppg (as you noted), so the run game will have to be effective. Maybe Hyde has the monster yr.

If the D can be 12-15 range, we may not need the O to score that many pts. It's hard to make any sort of prediction on the D though when we have not seen Dontae Johnson, Acker, Reaser, Lynch etc play for any real period of time. Our D could be better or a lot worse than that.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:25 pm

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/25 ... hared=true

Now the mediocre receiver is calling out Kap ( added to Gore's shade earlier.)
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:34 pm

We already knew Crabs was a d!ck, this is just more proof.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:39 pm

Crabs indeed was, was Gore as well? He never struck me that way, and he was attempting to avoid casting shade on Kaps deficiencies, but certainly did. That's two key offensive players that directly question Kaps ability, desire and leadership.
Last edited by HumanCockroach on Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:09 pm

Gore, no, I wouldn't say that at all about him.

Lap?
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:57 pm

Auto correct. Kap's
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:51 pm

Yeah, Crabtree is a moron. Sure you left the niners because you wanted a better QB... so you PICKED the Raiders. I like what Carr did last year but that is not why you went to Oakland. They were the ones who gave you the most $. He has always been about the benjamins and will continue to be. If the niners offered him more he easily would have signed with them.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:52 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Crabs indeed was, was Gore as well? He never struck me that way, and he was attempting to avoid casting shade on Kaps deficiencies, but certainly did. That's two key offensive players that directly question Kaps ability, desire and leadership.

Ya you are stretching that. Anyhow, that was already hashed out. Jim Harbaugh use to call the plays in the huddle during the offseason. Andrew Luck calls them in Indy. I guess if you want to spin something about desire or leadership, this is what you do.

We'll see if Crab has a guy that can deliver him 1,200 yds and 9 TDs this yr - because that's his best season by far, and the majority of it came with Kap.

BTW - and speaking of leadership - I just read an NFL.Com article about a "deep rift" (direct quote) that had developed between Wilson and his teammates last yr, to the point that he called a meeting in Hawaii to resolve it. You can bet if the next season were 8 wins and some players left, you'd be reading some quotes about him too.

Let me make it clear so I don't get the "troll" bullshit. I could care less that Wilson wants to flirt with baseball the offseason, whatever he promotes or what his teammates think of him. Unlike your tired storylines, all I care about is what he does on the field.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:17 am

Futureite wrote:
BTW - and speaking of leadership - I just read an NFL.Com article about a "deep rift" (direct quote) that had developed between Wilson and his teammates last yr, to the point that he called a meeting in Hawaii to resolve it.

Sorry to anybody who doesn't want this guy quoted but I had to say something. This is the exact crap people are talking about when they call you a troll. Your post implies that there was some rift between 'Wilson' and his teammates, but neither the nfl.com article or the Sports illustrated article it came from says that. It says there was some sort of rift between the OFFENSE and DEFENSE, something MUCH different. It says nothing about it developing randomly last year, like you imply but they say it was directly because of the SB. If anything it speaks more to the lengths RW is willing to go to to make sure the Hawks make it back to the SB. The sports illustrated article is pretty good. Both the nfl.com and Sports illustrated articles are listed below. LOL future, even after your 'heartfelt' thread you started you are exactly the same.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... e-seahawks

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/09/01/seattl ... e=default#
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:03 am

mykc14 wrote:Yeah, Crabtree is a moron. Sure you left the niners because you wanted a better QB... so you PICKED the Raiders. I like what Carr did last year but that is not why you went to Oakland. They were the ones who gave you the most $. He has always been about the benjamins and will continue to be. If the niners offered him more he easily would have signed with them.

Crabtree didn't exactly pick the Raiders. A better description would be that the Raiders were the only team that wanted him.

Crabtree went a long time before he got a contract offer, and eventually signed just a one year deal for only $3M, quite a bit lower than other FA WR's with similar skill sets, like Jeremy Maclin, who got a 5 year deal worth $22.5M . There was no market for Crabtree, at least not anywhere near what he thought he was worth, so he had to sign with Oakland, nobody else wanted him. One of the reasons for his below average value that was cited was his attitude. So yea, I'd say the guy's a dick, moron, et al. He certainly has that reputation.
Last edited by RiverDog on Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:33 am

Crabtree was a flop before Kaep so this seems weird, if anyone should be complaining it's Vernon Davis.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:23 am

kalibane wrote:Crabtree was a flop before Kaep so this seems weird, if anyone should be complaining it's Vernon Davis.

Ya and for the record RW is a better QB than Kap. I was just saying that the potential is always there for ex teammates to talk. Nonetheless, in addition to other things, maybe you guys were right about Crab too LOL. Even if what he said were or is true, how do you publicly blast your ex-teammate and QB like that?

Time to get my jog in before Hawks/Rams. This could be a good game.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:40 am

Ya and for the record RW is a better QB than Kap.

And that's some sort of revelation or admission? Half of the starting quarterbacks in the league are better than Kaepernick.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:23 am

RiverDog wrote:Ya and for the record RW is a better QB than Kap.

And that's some sort of revelation or admission? Half of the starting quarterbacks in the league are better than Kaepernick.

No, it's just clarification on my position. I am writing adendums to my posts now! ;). My rating system agrees with yours on Kap. I have him about 15, so half the QBs are better than him as of now. New season, new day though.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:59 am

Your appraisal of Kaepernick isn't what needs amending. What you need to amend is your appraisal of Russell Wilson. He's more than just a little bit better than Kaep, he's a lot better, so much better that the two should not be mentioned in the same breath. But you keep cherry picking RW's bad performances, posting false or misleading information about his leadership qualities, and so on, anything you can think of to bring him down a couple of notches. That's what needs to be corrected if you want to be taken seriously and quit being thought of as a troll.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:42 am

RiverDog wrote:Your appraisal of Kaepernick isn't what needs amending. What you need to amend is your appraisal of Russell Wilson. He's more than just a little bit better than Kaep, he's a lot better, so much better that the two should not be mentioned in the same breath. But you keep cherry picking RW's bad performances, posting false or misleading information about his leadership qualities, and so on, anything you can think of to bring him down a couple of notches. That's what needs to be corrected if you want to be taken seriously and quit being thought of as a troll.

I offered the exact same analysis HC did - which was to blow up one event to create a storeyline, and I tried to make it clear in my post that is what I was doing. I did not embelish that report even slightly. There was plenty of chatter last yr about the Hawks' teammates feeling detached from RW, that he wasn't "black enough" etc. Notice I never brought that up or made it a point. But Crabtree comes out with one quote and some Hawk fans jump on it to if course prove all of the leadership our QB lacjs, what a "clown" he is, etc. It just gets tired and old reading this BS.

If I were focused on stupid crap, I'd have blown up RW's "Bye Felicia" and "1-0" Tweets, his Nano water comment (or whatever it's called) and other stupid crap he says. The only thing I've ever said is that he constantly uses catch phrases to claim he does so much more than everyone else, and I doubted the validity of those claims. Meaning specifically, other QBs ARE equally driven and hardworking. To emphasise that point, I paralleled Kap's work this offseason with RW's baseball endeavors, and I ONLY did that to refute afire mentioned claims. None of this is embelished or bordering on Troll behavior.

I have stated RW is better at this point and that should be enough. The numbers say 98 career QB rating V 90, separated last yr by 1 TD, 3 ints and about 100 yds passing. They've both had major gaffes and/or turnover filled games in the playoffs. Their career rushing totals prove each guy runs quite a bit. It's not my problem that some of you cannot swallow the similarities. Saying they are not in the "same breathe" is a joke, and I am surprised to read prob the first irrational comment from you ever River.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:54 am

And another "for the record", I do have a very balanced opinion on our QB. If his pocket awareness and gametime decisions in some areas do not dramatically improve this yr, I will prob advocate we go another route. Preseason has shown several examples of it not improving. But I want to see real games over 60 min to see if his offseason work has made him better. So I don't prop one guy up and embelish the other's deficiencies. My opinion on both of these guys is about as balanced as you are going to find anywhere.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:59 pm

Welcome to our world Future. Sucks when someone cherry picks something isn't it? Least I didn't feel the need to do it with every post, and I didn't do so in your "house". By the way, it isn't "one" statement, it's two, by key performers on your three NFC championship teams.

You have just been future-ited, sucks, don't it.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:04 pm

I'll just leave this here:

Futureite wrote:Please just shut the hell up with your fact citing.
burrrton
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum