lol johnny manziel coming out

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Where do you think Johnny Manziel will be playing in 2014?

Houston
20%
St. Louis
No votes
Jacksonville
13%
Cleveland
20%
Oakland
7%
Atlanta
7%
Tampa Bay
No votes
Minnesota
13%
Tennessee, Chicago, the New York Jets, Cincinnati or some other team not listed above.
20%

Total votes : 15

lol johnny manziel coming out

Postby rottweiler » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:37 am

... in the 2014 Draft.

Hope nobody's terribly upset that I put this thread here on the Hawks Board.

I thought about putting it in the off-topic forum, but it just didn't seem like it belonged there.

Manziel may likely be a Ram in 2014, you know.

He ain't no Russell Wilson. And I can't wait to see him run his mouth, and get a fistful of Bruce Irvin or Aldon Smith on Sunday.
Last edited by rottweiler on Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rottweiler
Legacy

Re: ot/ lol johnny manziel coming out

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:50 am

He will be a Houston Texan.

And I'm skeptical that he will be a good NFL player...that running around like a crazy man stuff is great in college, but it won't last in the NFL.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:58 am

I chose the raiders just because Johnny football seems to be a good fit there, given his bad boy image. He looks like he belongs in silver & black, that's all.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:59 am

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:He will be a Houston Texan.

And I'm skeptical that he will be a good NFL player...that running around like a crazy man stuff is great in college, but it won't last in the NFL.

Even if his playing style were actually able to start a new revolution in the NFL, I still wouldn't think he'd be able to last more than a year because of his intangibles.

The kid is a spoiled rich brat, and I don't think even a HoF coach like Don Coryell, Joe Gibbs or Tom Landry could control his antics.

Why do you think he'll be a Texan, Greg? Does the fact that they have a new coach fresh from the NCAA ranks have something to do with it?

The Texans are in dire need of some beef on their defensive line.

I'm betting Manziel will be a Titan, myself.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:00 pm

IMO there is no way that he is the first pick in the draft. His stock is as high as it can be right now and he isn't even worth the #1 pick. After it is all said and done and teams look at all the 'measurables' I don't think he will be the first or even second qb taken in the draft.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:03 pm

mykc14 wrote:

IMO there is no way that he is the first pick in the draft. His stock is as high as it can be right now and he isn't even worth the #1 pick. After it is all said and done and teams look at all the 'measurables' I don't think he will be the first or even second qb taken in the draft.

So if the little punk ass were to slip down to the Draft's third day and you're Bo Duke, do you put him in a Hawks uni to back up the real NFL QB he will never become?
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:04 pm

rottweiler wrote:

Even if his playing style were actually able to start a new revolution in the NFL, I still wouldn't think he'd be able to last more than a year because of his intangibles.

The kid is a spoiled rich brat, and I don't think even a HoF coach like Don Coryell, Joe Gibbs or Tom Landry could control his antics.

Why do you think he'll be a Texan, Greg? Does the fact that they have a new coach fresh from the NCAA ranks have something to do with it?

The Texans have the first pick...simple as that. They might be willing to deal it away, but I doubt it.

But they have a very talented roster - much more talented than the team that lost 14 straight. Elite WR, elite RB, good offensive line, upper-crest TE(s), arguably the best defensive player in the NFL and an overall strong defense...the one position they need is QB.

I just think they will do something like picking Manziel to reinvigorate the franchise.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Re: lol johnny manziel coming out

Postby THX-1138 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:27 pm

Manziel is coming out? Good for him. Takes a lot of guts for an athlete to open up about his private life. I salute his courage.

What's that you say? We're talking about his leaving college for the pros? Not his sexual preference? Well, that is different.

What a doosh.
THX-1138
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:40 pm

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:
rottweiler wrote:

The Texans have the first pick...simple as that. They might be willing to deal it away, but I doubt it.

But they have a very talented roster - much more talented than the team that lost 14 straight. Elite WR, elite RB, good offensive line, upper-crest TE(s), arguably the best defensive player in the NFL and an overall strong defense...the one position they need is QB.

I just think they will do something like picking Manziel to reinvigorate the franchise.

Case Keenum can still do that very thing himself — with a new head coach.

Sadly, I don't think the kid is Bill O'Brien's style, though.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:24 pm

rottweiler wrote:
mykc14 wrote:

So if the little punk ass were to slip down to the Draft's third day and you're Bo Duke, do you put him in a Hawks uni to back up the real NFL QB he will never become?

I think so. A last day pick with his upside, almost a no-brainer. I know that he has MAJOR doochy character issues but at that point there really is no risk. If he doesn't buy into Pete's philosophy he would be cut faster then LenDale White. If he is a good boy and buys into the system, studies RW, he might just become an NFL QB.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:58 pm

Pretty sure Manziel goes 1st rd. I think his career will look very similar to Griffin's. 1 and done. Though it appears (to me) Manziel's problem seems to be more a matter of extended adolescence. Griffin's problem is that he is the epitome of douche...and the douche that keeps on giving (to the Rams).
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:02 pm

HawkWow wrote:Pretty sure Manziel goes 1st rd. I think his career will look very similar to Griffin's. 1 and done. Though it appears (to me) Manziel's problem seems to be more a matter of extended adolescence. Griffin's problem is that he is the epitome of douche...and the douche that keeps on giving (to the Rams).

That's what Mel Krapper thinks, too.

Says he sees Manziel going to the number 12 pick — which, right now, belongs to the Bengals.

Andy Dalton's playoff troubles notwithstanding, I just can't see any reason for the Bengals to lose him to free agency so they can draft a project like Manziel.

I guess maybe Krapper thinks the Bengals are going to trade down for a RB or more beef in the offensive trenches.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:10 pm

I dont care where he goes as I agree with the one and done sentiments shared above. I do hope that there isnt another insane owner dying to get up to the #2 slot take him, handing another bounty of picks to a young, talented Rams roster.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:33 pm

The reality is every QB drafted for the most part, is a 21 yo kid. They've all done stupid stuff 20 year olds do. Manziel may continue to act like an adolescent, or he may not. No one can really predict how these guys are going to behave once they become millionaires. The question becomes does a particular player have specific skills that lend themselves to the pro game?

Johnny is a 4.6 guy that's known for getting out of the pocket and running or creating plays. Some people think a running QB in the NFL today is valuable, some do not. Ask your self this. Does SF win last weeks game against GB if CK runs for zero yards? I don't think so. For a team that values that ability Johnny has it in spades. Great accuracy is probably the most desirable trait when drafting a QB today. Manziel appears to be quite accurate, both inside and outside the pocket as well as when throwing down field. This of course will be picked over by scouts far more than I could.

On the negative side he is not a big guy. Possibly RW's success helps to alleviate some of that concern but I still think the majority of decision makers want big 6'4"+, 230 lbs+, QBs. He also does not appear to be the kind of on field and off field leader that the NFL prefers. As others have said, he can come off as douchy or bratty.

I think the last thing you have to consider is that "it" factor. The thing that's difficult to put your finger on. Call it "driven", call it "clutch", whatever. No doubt that kid has something special. Watch him at the end of a game when they are behind. Hell, watch him in the loss to 'bama. That kid can turn it up to 11.

Who knows what the kid will do in the NFL, he may boom, he may bust. One thing for sure is he's gonna roar.
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:40 am

Yeah Johnny Footbal's comin' out and he's a Texas legend and the Texans have the first pick, but unless ownership insists on him I just can't see taking him over Teddy Bridgewater, even if you're adamant about taking a QB instead of Clowney (which IMO would be just silly).

Personally I see Manziel as a third rounder (and NOT a Russell Wilson third type rounder!)
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:18 pm

rottweiler wrote:Case Keenum can still do that very thing himself — with a new head coach.

Case Keenum has the whole Houston kid angle going from him, but you won't see a flood of reporters covering every practice in camp if he's QB...like you would if they draft Manziel.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:08 pm

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:
rottweiler wrote:Case Keenum can still do that very thing himself — with a new head coach.

Case Keenum has the whole Houston kid angle going from him, but you won't see a flood of reporters covering every practice in camp if he's QB...like you would if they draft Manziel.

Which is a good thing, yes?

I just can't see first-year NFL head coach Bill O'Brien's wanting the responsibilities which will inherently come with essentially playing a father figure to a "me-first" spoiled brat like Johnny Manziel.

Case Keenum is not a "me-first" spoiled brat. Everything about him whispers straight-up, stone-cold team player.

Manziel?

That kid is more the sort of project for a seasoned, no-bullspit NFL coach — like say, Jeff Fisher.

Ain't gonna happen in Houston. Not with a rookie NFL coach.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:37 pm

It's a crap shoot, really. How much of a wild card do they want?

I wouldn't be surprised.

O'Brien is also not your garden variety "rookie" coach...he's coached (successfully) in the NFL before, albeit as a coordinator. He knows what he can handle.

I think if they want to go QB, Bridgewater is the safer pick...but it will be interesting to see if they take a leap.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:17 pm

I don't see Manziel as a top 5 pick, but he showed at the College level an uncanny ability to make plays out of nothing so you never know who might think he's the guy to be the savior of the franchise.
He is apparently working with a QB coach before the combine and the draft to get his mechanics right so maybe he has the stuff it takes to really succeed at the next level. On the other hand he could be just going to push himself for 5 months to get a high pick and a lot of money. I don't know enough about him to judge his commitment to football and the team.

If you look at him physically and his ability to move he is similar to Russell Wilson. I get the impression he isn't there mentally or emotionally but I could see the Jags going for him to get some hype about the team and maybe give them another year to try to firm up their OL. If he lasts until the mid to late 1st, maybe a team like the Cards or Bengals might bite.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:03 pm

There's a lot of QB hungry teams that need to settle on a head coach before we can start projecting which teams are going to be in the market for a QB.

Forgive me for changing the topic a bit, but does anyone think that the Titans might try to move Jake Locker? He was just looking like he might have turned the corner when he got hurt and now the rap on him is that he can't stay on the field. If they're ready to throw in the towel on him, now's the time to move him while he's still under contract. Does the new broom in Tennessee sweep clean?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:28 pm

RiverDog wrote:There's a lot of QB hungry teams that need to settle on a head coach before we can start projecting which teams are going to be in the market for a QB.

Start a thread about it, then.

Or say ^ that ^ on the thread I started.

RiverDog wrote:Forgive me for changing the topic a bit, but does anyone think that the Titans might try to move Jake Locker? He was just looking like he might have turned the corner when he got hurt and now the rap on him is that he can't stay on the field. If they're ready to throw in the towel on him, now's the time to move him while he's still under contract. Does the new broom in Tennessee sweep clean?

That's exactly why I'm implying that — depending on the head coach the Titans hire — I see Tennessee as Manziel's likely landing spot.

This past season was Locker's year to shine, so he could get that big cheddar contract under the NFL and NFLPA's recently-arbitrated-three-years-until-free-agency deal.

Locker didn't shine. He got injured, again.

I think he's out in Tennessee.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:12 pm

Yea, that's kinda my feeling about Locker, too, Rott.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum