the most attractive head coaching vacancy

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

What, in your opinion, is the most attractive current NFL head coaching vacancy?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:15 pm

The Washington Redskins.
No votes
The Cleveland Browns.
No votes
The Minnesota Vikings.
15%
The Tennessee Titans.
No votes
The Detroit Lions.
85%

Total votes : 13

the most attractive head coaching vacancy

Postby rottweiler » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:15 pm

What, in your opinion, is the most attractive current NFL head coaching vacancy?

Why?
rottweiler
Legacy

Re: the most attractive head coaching vacancy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:23 pm

1. Lions. Best WR in the game (Megatron), a dynamic play maker in Bush, some good pieces on defense... and an extremely talented (albeit an enigma) at QB. If someone can fix Stafford's decision making, the Lions have the talent. Downside...you have to live in Detroit.

2. Vikings. AP, AP, AP. New stadium in a few years so the franchise will be re-invigorated and the owner infused with money. An exciting young WR/KR in Patterson... pretty decent defense. They aren't far off from being good, but they need a QB.

3. Titans. Good owner and front office. A young QB with upside (Locker) if they can keep him healthy.

4. Browns. They can never get it right and make puzzling decisions...except for dumping Trent Richardson. Why they drafted a 28-year old rookie (Weeden) in 2012, I still can't figure out. Of course, they do have Josh Gordon... As long as they don't make yet another mistake in hiring Josh McDaniels, they have "hope". Downside...you have to live in Cleveland.

5. Redskins. As long as Dan Snyder is the owner, they are screwed (much like the Cowpukes with Jerry Jones). They need to stop hiring name coaches and find the right guy. The RGIII trade has bankrupted their development and he might never regain his form.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:36 pm

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:1. Lions. Best WR in the game (Megatron), a dynamic play maker in Bush, some good pieces on defense... and an extremely talented (albeit an enigma) at QB. If someone can fix Stafford's decision making, the Lions have the talent. Downside...you have to live in Detroit.

Good stuff, hero.

Just MHO, but I think Stafford's decision-making is less an issue than the fact that some of his supporting cast CAN'T CATCH THE FRICK'N BALL.

I saw Stafford get dinged for at least five INTs this season that were the results of his receivers' (Megatron included) having lost the balls, and having thus let the opposing Ds snag them on tip drills.

They have got to get some quality guys to complement Megatron in the offseason.

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:2. Vikings. AP, AP, AP. New stadium in a few years so the franchise will be re-invigorated and the owner infused with money. An exciting young WR/KR in Patterson... pretty decent defense. They aren't far off from being good, but they need a QB.

'Fraid for them that by the time they do get good, AP will have hit the over-the-hill mark, though.

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:3. Titans. Good owner and front office. A young QB with upside (Locker) if they can keep him healthy.

I don't think they can.

Matter of fact, I see Locker being traded in the offseason.

Good thing about the Texans job?

Their fans certainly don't expect much.

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:4. Browns. They can never get it right and make puzzling decisions...except for dumping Trent Richardson. Why they drafted a 28-year old rookie (Weeden) in 2012, I still can't figure out. Of course, they do have Josh Gordon... Downside...you have to live in Cleveland.

:!: :!: :!:

(At least the amplifiers go to "11" there, though.)

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:5. Redskins. As long as Dan Snyder is the owner, they are screwed (much like the Cowpukes with Jerry Jones). They need to stop hiring name coaches and find the right guy. The RGIII trade has bankrupted their development and he might never regain his form.

Agreed.

Worst. Head. Coaching. Vacancy. Ever.

RGIII is starting to look like the second coming of Jeff George — a.k.a. coach killer extraordinaire.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:29 pm

Vikings. That is a playoff caliber team with young playmakers on offense and a solid D. IMO they could make the playoffs simply by starting Cassel next year (and sticking with him). They are a good QB away from being true contenders but all the pieces are there to have quick success and in the end that is what matters. You window to turn things around is so small in the NFL now that if your team is not close to play off ready all your doing is building the foundation for the next guy.

Second would be Lions, but IMO they have too much $ tied into Stafford who is way too inconsistent. I believe that they are a playoff caliber team right now as well, but they are forced to rely on their uneven QB too much. In a lot of ways they remind me of the Cowboys and Stafford reminds me of Romo. He could be a decent qb if he didn't have to/try to do everything.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:06 pm

The Lions.

Among other things, what they've lacked is a HC with genuine leadership. Jim Schwartz, simply put, was a putz. He squandered a golden opportunity to win the nfc north, and I think the locker room was lost down the stretch.

The Silverdome lining in Detroit choking is the opportunity to get somebody in their who can teach these guys to focus. I hear Whisenhunt could be the guy, and some say he's pretty much a lock for the job. It looks like a pretty good fit, IMO. He'll at least bring some discipline there. They certainly could do worse. I don't think they should go with a HC candidate who's never held the position before.

Titans job is attractive because the afc south is pretty weak right now, outside of Indy, but even they are no juggernaut.

Viking have some pieces in place, but no franchise QB.

Snyder can't get out of his own way in Washington.

Cleveland doesn't offer much, except for staph infections.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Oly » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:16 pm

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:1. Lions. Best WR in the game (Megatron), a dynamic play maker in Bush, some good pieces on defense... and an extremely talented (albeit an enigma) at QB. If someone can fix Stafford's decision making, the Lions have the talent. Downside...you have to live in Detroit.

2. Vikings. AP, AP, AP. New stadium in a few years so the franchise will be re-invigorated and the owner infused with money. An exciting young WR/KR in Patterson... pretty decent defense. They aren't far off from being good, but they need a QB.

3. Titans. Good owner and front office. A young QB with upside (Locker) if they can keep him healthy.

4. Browns. They can never get it right and make puzzling decisions...except for dumping Trent Richardson. Why they drafted a 28-year old rookie (Weeden) in 2012, I still can't figure out. Of course, they do have Josh Gordon... As long as they don't make yet another mistake in hiring Josh McDaniels, they have "hope". Downside...you have to live in Cleveland.

5. Redskins. As long as Dan Snyder is the owner, they are screwed (much like the Cowpukes with Jerry Jones). They need to stop hiring name coaches and find the right guy. The RGIII trade has bankrupted their development and he might never regain his form.

I'd flip the Vikings and Titans. Both are a QB away from contending, but even if neither or their current options pan out, I think the Vikings organization is dysfunctional enough that I can't see a HC being excited about being there. So much of a coach's job is dealing with the GM and ownership, and I can't see a HC falling in love with the miscreants in Minnesota.
Oly
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:21 pm

The Vikings draft at #8 so they just might be able to get a top QB.
If they do then their attractiveness increases. I know they will hire a HC before the draft, but the high slot just might make it an easier decision.
there would have to be a huge run on QBs at the top of the draft to not have a good selection.
If there was a run on QBs they could at worst choose the 5th best QB - or maybe move up to the Rams spot for the 2nd best QB.

As it stands today, the Lions might be the best chance. They are almost there and need a coach that can get them to the next steps.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:42 pm

My answer will sound dumb at first blush, but if you think about it, you may agree with me.
VIkings.
Why Vikings?
Because, new venue, and a VERY tolerant owner, who will give a coach some time to make it work.

Obviously Detroit has what APPEARS to be the most talent, especially at the D-Line and at WR...but at QB they have the worst possible situation. They have a QB who is JUUUUST good enough to always tease with promise, but will always let you down in the end.
Christian Ponder is a bad QB and everyone knows that. Matt Cassell is a good backup QB, but NOT your franchise answer and everyone knows that too.
The new coach will want to replace/upgrade over them ASAP, and again, they actually have a pretty good backup on the roster already with Cassell, who can be the placeholder, if needed, to cushion the landing for whoever they draft.

Meanwhile, the Vikings have a lot more talent than most people would think, including a young WR who can become a legitimate SUPERSTAR if he works hard. So even talent wise, it's not as much in Detroit's favor as people think.

Bottom line, the Lions QB is a coach killer, and that team has FAR too many bad attitudes, that's why they had the division all but assured and GAVE it away, week after week after week. Bad attitudes, loser mentality, a coach killer QB and HUGE egos are no competition for a team that is getting a new venue, and an owner who is willing to let the coach do his thing.
monkey
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:55 pm

monkey wrote:My answer will sound dumb at first blush, but if you think about it, you may agree with me.
VIkings.
Why Vikings?
Because, new venue, and a VERY tolerant owner, who will give a coach some time to make it work.

Obviously Detroit has what APPEARS to be the most talent, especially at the D-Line and at WR...but at QB they have the worst possible situation. They have a QB who is JUUUUST good enough to always tease with promise, but will always let you down in the end.
Christian Ponder is a bad QB and everyone knows that. Matt Cassell is a good backup QB, but NOT your franchise answer and everyone knows that too.
The new coach will want to replace/upgrade over them ASAP, and again, they actually have a pretty good backup on the roster already with Cassell, who can be the placeholder, if needed, to cushion the landing for whoever they draft.

Meanwhile, the Vikings have a lot more talent than most people would think, including a young WR who can become a legitimate SUPERSTAR if he works hard. So even talent wise, it's not as much in Detroit's favor as people think.

Bottom line, the Lions QB is a coach killer, and that team has FAR too many bad attitudes, that's why they had the division all but assured and GAVE it away, week after week after week. Bad attitudes, loser mentality, a coach killer QB and HUGE egos are no competition for a team that is getting a new venue, and an owner who is willing to let the coach do his thing.

I think the huge egos in Detroit are also sick of losing.
If a new coach has a history of success he could make them really competitive. Short of that they might have to do something along the lines of Seattle where they turned the roster over and over until they got the types of players they wanted. The core of talent could still be there including Stafford and Suh to name 2 players, but the surrounding cast might have to be replaced. I think it's inevitable with a new coach but it depends on how deep the new guy wants to dig to get his players in place. With Stafford they might need a strong OC who will demand things be done his way, not Staffords.

In any event it will be interesting to see what they do.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:52 pm

Wow. Another poll where I voted with the majority. The Lions are the best available vacancy in the 'win now' mentality of the NFL. Franchise QB, HOF receiver, great DL, weak division.

And I agree with my buddy IG. Washington has to be the worst possible situation. Dan Snyder is a moonbat if I've ever seen one, short circuiting the HC and snuggling up top the star. I've also lost some respect for RG3 over the past year. Too bad Jim Zorn didn't heed our advice and turn down the HC position Snyder foolishly offered him a few years ago. I can't foresee the Redskins doing anything so long as Snyder has anything to do with the team. Thank God for Paul Allen.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:46 pm

RiverDog wrote:Wow. Another poll where I voted with the majority. The Lions are the best available vacancy in the 'win now' mentality of the NFL. Franchise QB, HOF receiver, great DL, weak division.

And I agree with my buddy IG. Washington has to be the worst possible situation. Dan Snyder is a moonbat if I've ever seen one, short circuiting the HC and snuggling up top the star. I've also lost some respect for RG3 over the past year. Too bad Jim Zorn didn't heed our advice and turn down the HC position Snyder foolishly offered him a few years ago. I can't foresee the Redskins doing anything so long as Snyder has anything to do with the team. Thank God for Paul Allen.

Nailed it RD. Snyder is a joke, like a mentally handicapped Jerry Jones, which is really bad. RG I run a 5.3 is a hair fire. He will be out of the league in 5 years, his teammates already are sick of his miss prissy act. If I were an aspiring NFL HC I would not take the job. I highly doubt they will get a solid hire.

Cleveland fired their HC after one season in spite of the fact that he was stuck with Holmgrens players and mass injuries at multiple spots including the QB position.No thanks.

Titans same deal. A RB who is a head case, a talented young QB who couldn't stay healthy, and A BRUTAL SCHEDULE. The fact that Detroit is looking at Munchak already tells you all you need to know about this idiotic firing. No way jose.

Frazier in Minnesota had the Vikes playing good ball at season end in spite of a horrible QB situation, see ya! Wow! Probably the second best opportunity for someone though. Cut Ponder and that douche Freeman, start Cassel and draft someone in this talent laden draft. Maybe trade AP if you can get a Ricky Williams, Herschel Walker type deal from one of these idiot GMs that just fired their HC.

Tampa made a good hire but that franchise is a mess. Good luck Lovie you will need it. I wonder how Chicago feels after replacing this guy with a CFL refugee last year, dropping a game in the win column and then watching teams tripping over themselves trying to hire him now.

Detroit is a plum, but they need a tough hire who will slap the snot out of that punk Staffords nose and make him a little more disciplined. Talk about whiffing on a gimme they should have been the 2 seed playing in that division. Schwartz what an idiot.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:57 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Detroit is a plum, but they need a tough hire who will slap the snot out of that punk Staffords nose and make him a little more disciplined. Talk about whiffing on a gimme they should have been the 2 seed playing in that division. Schwartz what an idiot.

I really don't get all the hatred for Matthew Stafford.

I have never myself seen him as a snotty-nosed "punk".

Again, in every game I saw the Lions play this season, it was Stafford's receivers — not Stafford himself — who were the Lion offense's achilles heel.

Stafford can put that ball anywhere on the field, anytime.

There have been some times when I've noticed he prolly could have taken something off his throws. But his receivers — including Megatron, who had some bigtime drops in key game moments in 2013 — let him down more often than Stafford let them down in 2013.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:37 pm

rottweiler wrote:
Hawktawk wrote:Detroit is a plum, but they need a tough hire who will slap the snot out of that punk Staffords nose and make him a little more disciplined. Talk about whiffing on a gimme they should have been the 2 seed playing in that division. Schwartz what an idiot.

Again, in every game I saw the Lions play this season, it was Stafford's receivers — not Stafford himself — who were the Lion offense's achilles heel.

There have been some times when I've noticed he prolly could have taken something off his throws. But his receivers — including Megatron, who had some bigtime drops in key game moments in 2013 — let him down more often than Stafford let them down in 2013.

I want to like Stafford but he makes too many mistakes, IMO. He has 84 career turnovers (73 INT and 11 fumbles) to 118 (109 pass and 9 rush) TD. There is no question about his arm strength and his receivers have dropped a few, but Megatron has also caught many passes that probably should have been picked. The team is too reliant on him to be good to win and he is just too streaky. He has had 1 amazing year with 41 TD's to only 16 picks. Take out that year and he has 68 TD's to 57 INT's, not good. I know he is asked to do a lot but that is why I don't really like the Lions coaching position as much as the Vikings. Stafford makes too many mistakes and he doesn't seem like the type of guy who would be willing to take a more limited roll in the offense.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:17 am

Stafford has terrible mechanics. How many of his turnovers and drops are the result of some goofy sidearm if not underhanded throw without setting his feet? Its like he tries to make every throw look like highlight reel material when he needs to set his feet and deliver the ball correctly. It just doesn't look like hes putting the work in. He looks a little chunky too, like maybe hes not hitting the gyms like he should. You are what your record says you are. Wilson would drool to have his targets..
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:03 am

rottweiler wrote:

What struck me in watching him this year were all the rookie mistakes he continues to make, poor reads, poor decisions, trying to force passes into ultra tight windows with guys wide open on the other side etc...
Stafford has talent, but something is missing, and it has to either be work ethic, or brains, because he never seems to get better at the mental part of football.
Now he may indeed have been the victim of too many drops, (I don't recall seeing that many myself, but I take your word for it) what I do remember is too many really dumb decisions.
monkey
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:58 am

Those mistakes Stafford makes are either he's ignoring his coaches and the money being paid him demands he play, or they haven't paid much attention to him.
I don't know about his study habits, but it's apparent he doesn't pay much attention to his mechanics.
Maybe he fancies himself as this decades Favre and is trying to be a 'gunslinger'. It looks to me like a situation where the WR (Megatron) is making the QB look good.
In any case it looks on the surface like he lacks some self discipline to get better and limit his mistakes. I think fixing that is what will take him to the next level.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:26 am

IMO, Stafford could be turned around, big time, with the right coaching.
A good HC with a solid staff hasn't really been in place in Detroit since, when, Wayne Fontes?
Lol.
The whole franchise needs a complete overhaul in terms of their collective team psyche.

This is precisely what Pete & John have been able to do in Seattle. The players, their style, and their mental toughness make the Seahawks completely unrecognizable from the Holmgren era.
That's no knock on coach Mike, either. It's just that the current regime has done wonders at every level, and have us in a position to reach the SB in just their 4th year of rebuilding.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:53 am

I agree that the Lions situation is the best HC vacancy.
Add them all up, Schwartz, Marinelli, Mariucci, and this team has not had a winning coach since the 1950's.

Pretty bad.

I don't know if Stafford is "all that" he has had time in the league, but he does appear coachable. But they need to get a hardass coach in there to get everyone singing from the same hymn-book, and this team could be over 500 next year.

Same applies to Cowboys, except that Jones will never allow someone that is independent minded. Which is why the C'boys don't have a coaching vacancy and will be 8-8 next season and the season after that, and the season after that.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:40 am

Actually the Bucs might come out of the the best.
Smith has a potentially very good Defense to start with - at least a few building blocks in place - and a young QB that might turn out pretty well.
A couple of FA pickups and a good draft and they will take a big step forward.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:39 am

NorthHawk wrote:Actually the Bucs might come out of the the best.
Smith has a potentially very good Defense to start with - at least a few building blocks in place - and a young QB that might turn out pretty well.

Yeah, the Bucs defense is quite good, and a young tall QB with a strong arm and a nice touch...yeah I can see a case for the Bucs.
monkey
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:46 pm

monkey wrote:

Yeah, the Bucs defense is quite good, and a young tall QB with a strong arm and a nice touch...yeah I can see a case for the Bucs.

That and you don't have to live in Detroit ...
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby monkey » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:17 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:
monkey wrote:

That and you don't have to live in Detroit ...

Haha! Great point there!
monkey
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum