Beastmode and Fred Jackson back together?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Beastmode and Fred Jackson back together?

Postby Venice_Hawk » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:48 am

I really like this if it goes through. They are still good friends which I beleive Marshawn needs and now we can get something for Christine Michael who has disappointed. Turbin has been great as a backup but the chemistry Marshawn and Fred had in Buffalo was great.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -seahawks/
Venice_Hawk
Legacy

Re: Beastmode and Fred Jackson back together?

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:36 am

Seems like an odd move. It's the OL, not the RBs that's the problem.
His contract with Buffalo through the 2015 season was $2.35 million for reference purposes according to ESPN.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:50 am

Not real odd, even though it doesn't address our O-line (we can do more than one thing at a time after all). Fred calls Marshawn his "big brother" so they're pretty tight, and with Christine on the way out anyway (look for a trade this week) this gives us a quality 3 deep at RB, which is the least Pete will keep, especially with Lynch at the tail end of his career.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:37 am

Will make Lynch happy, but as you said Bob, Lynch is at the tail end of his career, and Jackson is even closer to that end, , which IMHO what makes it odd.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:57 am

HumanCockroach wrote:Will make Lynch happy, but as you said Bob, Lynch is at the tail end of his career, and Jackson is even closer to that end, , which IMHO what makes it odd.

Jackson's got about 400 fewer career carries than Lynch, but i don't think he's more than a one year signing anyway.

I guess word on the radio this morning is that Turbin might be nicked up and missing some time, in which case Jackson makes even more sense this year.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:03 am

Look, neither Turbo or Michael have the chops to replace Marshawn. This move makes that more clear to me than yesterday when it was pretty clear. I would not be surprised if it were Turbo who draws some trade attention and we role with Beast, Fred and Christine. Or.......is Turbo dinged up?? maybe we IR him?? We will know by the end of the week.

I think that the boys will be looking hard to find the Beast's replacement. Trouble is, who have you seen in the last two decades that runs the way Marshawn does? We can do better than Turbo and Michael, but we can never replace Lynch (who, IMHO, is the best RB to suit up for the blue and green).

As for Fred (who caught 60+ passes last year), He has a way bigger upside re: blocking than anyone else currently on the roster in that position and is a real locker room leader. I'm all for it.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:05 am

"Jackson's got about 400 fewer career carries than Lynch, but i don't think he's more than a one year signing anyway."

I read he has 800 fewer than Beast Mode. That's a couple seasons worth right there. While I'm a little worried about his durability, I can't say I mind his blocking ability, heart, and ability to sure-handedly catch the ball outta the backfield.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:14 am

Sure enough, I stand corrected.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:52 am

He can block too!!

(and that's no easy out he's blocking!)
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:55 am

And this is what JJ's thigh looked like after that block!

c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:17 am

You know I am liking this, if it happens still want some oline though
Anthony
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:04 pm

Maybe Turbin's hip is bothering him again. Just speculation, but he did have some procedure earlier in the year.

There aren't more than a few RBs in the NFL with "the chops to replace Lynch" - if that.
Not every RB can break more than 100 tackles every year or give the team such an emotional lift as Lynch.
It still seems odd to me on a team that is supposed to be tight on the Salary Cap front as RB isn't much of a pressing need.

I do like Jacksons all around game - and I hope he has some gas left in the tank because he has been an effective RB, but you don't see too many 34yr old players and less RBs older than 30.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:39 pm

Turbin had MRI high ankle sprain, sorry no link that's why he may come in
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:47 pm

https://twitter.com/
Bob Condotta
‏@bcondotta
Robert Turbin has high ankle sprain explaining interest in Fred Jackson.
RETWEETS
FAVORITES

12:31 PM - 1 Sep 2015
Renton, WAbcondotta/status/638796313765789696
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:37 pm

Ok, that is the only explanation for this move.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:39 pm

So....Can we now call Michael a bust?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby monkey » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:05 pm

I think this says something about Michael perhaps, but I think it says a LOT more about the quality of character that Jackson has. Of all the "Win Forever", "always compete" kinds of roster churning moves the Seahawks could be making right now, the RB position has to be one of the least needful, and yet the Seahawks reached out to Jackson like, immediately after he was cut.
There's a good reason for this.
Remember how excited Pete and John were when first they got Michael Robinson? They acted like they had just won the lottery!
Remember the reasons they gave for their overwhelming excitement? It was all about Robinson's character, his drive, leadership, competitive mentality etc... all the things that Pete looks for in players, Robinson had them ALL.
Fred Jackson is EXACTLY that same kind of player, a terrific locker room leader, an extremely hard worker, one who got to where he is through perfecting his craft in spite of not being the most naturally talented.
You can always find someone with better speed, or more elusiveness, or more etc..., but in order to find a better leader/mentor/on field coach/all around great guy, you'd have to look a LONG time!
That's why even at age 34, Buffalo fans are HUGELY disappointed right now. Fred Jackson was the Bills Michael Robinson, or Mack Strong. Guys like that don't come around that often.
I'll guarantee that's really why Pete and John want him. The fact that he can still play, and will give the Seahawks a nice upgrade in their backfield, (and make Marshawn happy), and add someone who is a terrific mentor for young players, those are all extras to the fact that Jackson is exactly the kind of player who is every coaches DREAM.

Yeah, we still probably need offensive linemen a lot more, and yeah we are salary cap tight right now, with Kam Chancellor holding out asking for more, and yeah, this is a 34 year RB and not some young long term answer to eventually replace Lynch....but yeah, this is a move that would really make me ecstatic!
I want this one to get done.
monkey
Legacy

Postby monkey » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:16 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:He can block too!!

(and that's no easy out he's blocking!)

Glad you posted that, I was going to.
Actually Jackson is one of the leagues best blockers, he's good enough it wouldn't shock me if they put him on the field at the same time with Lynch at FB on occasion. The guy can block.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:50 pm

monkey wrote:I think this says something about Michael perhaps, but I think it says a LOT more about the quality of character that Jackson has. Of all the "Win Forever", "always compete" kinds of roster churning moves the Seahawks could be making right now, the RB position has to be one of the least needful, and yet the Seahawks reached out to Jackson like, immediately after he was cut.
There's a good reason for this.
Remember how excited Pete and John were when first they got Michael Robinson? They acted like they had just won the lottery!
Remember the reasons they gave for their overwhelming excitement? It was all about Robinson's character, his drive, leadership, competitive mentality etc... all the things that Pete looks for in players, Robinson had them ALL.
Fred Jackson is EXACTLY that same kind of player, a terrific locker room leader, an extremely hard worker, one who got to where he is through perfecting his craft in spite of not being the most naturally talented.
You can always find someone with better speed, or more elusiveness, or more etc..., but in order to find a better leader/mentor/on field coach/all around great guy, you'd have to look a LONG time!
That's why even at age 34, Buffalo fans are HUGELY disappointed right now. Fred Jackson was the Bills Michael Robinson, or Mack Strong. Guys like that don't come around that often.
I'll guarantee that's really why Pete and John want him. The fact that he can still play, and will give the Seahawks a nice upgrade in their backfield, (and make Marshawn happy), and add someone who is a terrific mentor for young players, those are all extras to the fact that Jackson is exactly the kind of player who is every coaches DREAM.

Yeah, we still probably need offensive linemen a lot more, and yeah we are salary cap tight right now, with Kam Chancellor holding out asking for more, and yeah, this is a 34 year RB and not some young long term answer to eventually replace Lynch....but yeah, this is a move that would really make me ecstatic!
I want this one to get done.

Yeah Monkey, I think you nailed it. Everything I am thinking about this possible signing is what you said.

Hope it happens, you just have to look at how loved he was in Buffalo to know what kind of player you are getting. And he can still perform.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:21 pm

RiverDog wrote:So....Can we now call Michael a bust?

Yes.

I think he already was one before all of this.

He was picked high enough in the draft to suggest that they were looking for him to be the next franchise RB, and yet he could never pass Turbin as the #2.

His time here is done, and rightfully so. Never was sold on this guy to begin with, and the search for Beast's eventual replacement will continue next offseason/draft.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:36 am

Zorn76 wrote:Yes. (to is Michael a bust?)

I think he already was one before all of this.

He was picked high enough in the draft to suggest that they were looking for him to be the next franchise RB, and yet he could never pass Turbin as the #2.

His time here is done, and rightfully so. Never was sold on this guy to begin with, and the search for Beast's eventual replacement will continue next offseason/draft.

And as I recall, I took quite a bit of flak for my objecting to the Michael pick. Ever since the Carpenter pick in 2011, who is no longer with us, I haven't felt warm and fuzzy about our opening selection, including the trading of our #1 pick for Harvin, until this season's picks of Clark (who I was pretty much neutral on) and Lockett (that I really liked).

So, since 2011 our first pick in the previous 4 drafts looks like this: 2011, James Carpenter, no longer with the team. 2012, Bruce Irvin, unlikely to get a 2nd contact. 2013, trade for Percy Harvin, drafted Michael. 2014, Paul Richardson, on IR, jury still out.

The good news is that it would appear that this season, the trend has been reversed. Both Clark and Lockett look like they are going to contribute immediately.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:17 am

Unless I'm mistaken Micheal is still with the team and Jackson has not signed. I thought Micheal was showing some signs of life last game. I dunno, you have a young back with great size and and speed who has had injury concerns. Or you have the oldest back in the league who has been very productive but also has injury concerns. I dont think you can call anyone who is sitting behind Lynch a bust. Turbo has also played very well and has been unlucky with penalties or his stats would look more impressive. Just my 02 lets develop the guys we have instead of picking up a retread.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:25 am

In fairness Irvin isn't going to get a 2nd contract because there just isn't enough money. He's upped his play considerably since his rookie year. But I'm with you on the underwhelming first picks. I wasn't super jazzed about the Michael pick but at least he had real potential to be a special player. Devil's in the details though and he never was consistent enough or figured out how to block. Everyone else they've taken with their first pick has range from head scratching to disappointment though.

There is a chance that he could get a change of scenery, mature and actually make good on his potential the way Ahman Green did but it's probably time to cut bait and would count as a bust for us.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:32 am

I think you've touched on something, Hawktawk.
Young RBs need quality reps - getting into a rhythm in games to develop and there aren't many RBs that would take those reps from Lynch.
As well, in Michael's first year he wasn't much of a blocker. The last couple of pre-season games he has picked up a couple of blitzers pretty well so it looks like that part has improved, but he's still missing the playing time he needs to play at his best.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:39 am

kalibane wrote:In fairness Irvin isn't going to get a 2nd contract because there just isn't enough money. He's upped his play considerably since his rookie year. But I'm with you on the underwhelming first picks. I wasn't super jazzed about the Michael pick but at least he had real potential to be a special player. Devil's in the details though and he never was consistent enough or figured out how to block. Everyone else they've taken with their first pick has range from head scratching to disappointment though.

There is a chance that he could get a change of scenery, mature and actually make good on his potential the way Ahman Green did but it's probably time to cut bait and would count as a bust for us.

I'm not so sure about not enough money.
At this point it looks like Okung won't be back so that frees up about $7.5 million as well there are the Dead Cap numbers from Harvin ($7.2 m), Unger ($2.2 m) Miller ($1.0 m) just to name a few.
However, the team seems to have an excess of very good LBs so he might just be expendable and we don't know what they might want to do with Kam.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:37 pm

kalibane wrote:In fairness Irvin isn't going to get a 2nd contract because there just isn't enough money. He's upped his play considerably since his rookie year. But I'm with you on the underwhelming first picks. I wasn't super jazzed about the Michael pick but at least he had real potential to be a special player. Devil's in the details though and he never was consistent enough or figured out how to block. Everyone else they've taken with their first pick has range from head scratching to disappointment though.

The money situation is definitely going to factor into Irvin's assumed failure to land a second contract with us, as it does with many players around the league. But he was the #15 overall, and when you take a look at his fellow first round draft picks from that year, Irvin is one of the few that did not have his option year picked up by his team...and we're not the only team with financial constraints.

Irvin was not a bust, far from it. He has made some solid contributions to our defense, particularly last season, where he actually improved his run defense IMO. But he also never developed the way he was projected, which was to take over the Leo position, register 10+ sacks a season, and so on. Like Obi once said, the pick was essentially a push, not a bust yet not living up to the expectations of a #15 overall. We've certainly made worse decisions. And who knows, perhaps he'll go out and set the world on fire this season and earn that 2nd contract. Stranger things have happened.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:56 pm

I hear the concern about missing on the first pick in the draft (whatever round it happens to be in) and admit that I have scratched my head too. To be fair though.....missing with the first pick started well before Pete and John got here. The difference is those previous regimes didn't find wild success in the later rounds and with UFAs. More than 55% of their draft picks since 2010 are on an NFL roster and 9 of their acquisitions (NINE) are on the top 100 list (created by the media...8 on the list generated by players). That is three more than any other team and 6 more than the average. The Seahawks roster is largely considered to be elite, if not the single best roster in the league. I call that winning everyday of the week and three times on Sunday.

I think it is really nit-picking to point out the 2011 or 12 draft misses. Those two years got us Sherm, KJ, Maxi, Bobby, RW, Lane, Sweezy, Turbin, Jermain, Baldwin and Bruce (who we likely won't keep - not because he isn't good enough, because we have so many stars that we cannot afford it). That, by definition, is success in my eyes. Who cares when we got them?? The point is we got them. The trouble with the success we have had is that we just cannot keep ever solid contributor. It would have been great to have Tate on the roster and it'd be nice to keep Okung and Irvin, IMHO. It's kind of like there is no middle class on our team...either you are one of the elite, or you ain't. The silver lining to not hitting on every pick, if there is one, is that our cap situation would be even worse than it is.

Here is the Pundit's list (with 9 Seahawks on it) in no order............... all acquired by JS and PC. And I do think you count Jimmy as a first rounder.
Marshawn
Sherm
Earl
RW
Bobby
Kam
Jimmy
Bennett
Okung
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:07 pm

here are some names to consider in the first round of 2012:

2. RG3
3. Trent Richardson
5. Justin Blackmon
Brandon Weedon
AJ Jenkins
etc.........................
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:42 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:here are some names to consider in the first round of 2012:

2. RG3
3. Trent Richardson
5. Justin Blackmon
Brandon Weedon
AJ Jenkins
etc.........................

Yeah and Holmgren drafted two of those guys, Weedon and Richardson. Thank goodness he wasn't brought back as GM when Ruskell was canned.
Sis I'm with you. The first rounders haven't all panned out but ultimately its about finding players who can win and the Hawks have done it. With Clark and Lockette it looks like they have hit the lottery again.

Irvin is going to be a freak show this year BTW. Book it.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:18 pm

With your first round pick, you want at a minimum a player that can start for you throughout their first contract and maybe longer. Anything more is a bonus.
It seems to me that we have missed picks more on the Offensive side than Defense under this FO, but I could be wrong.
Maybe it's just more disappointing because it can make a more prominent impact and I was hoping for more.

Like was said, this year might give us 2 players that will impact on both sides of the ball and ST, too.
We sure could have used it last year at times on ST.

Any thoughts on the mid round picks after Lockett that might be a surprise?
I'm hoping Glowinski is one answer on the OL in time, and it looks like Tye Smith might have a chance to stick.
I haven't heard much about Poole, though.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:28 pm

With your first round pick, you want at a minimum a player that can start for you throughout their first contract and maybe longer.

Of course this is the case. Nobody ever said I cannot wait to eff up the first pick. I think Pete and John have a very unique philosophy and they stick to their thinking and stick to their board. It has worked more oft than not, which is my point. Who here would not have drafted Sherm, RW or Kam in the first to rounds????

As I look at this year's draft, I think that Poole is unlikely to stick even this year. Tye & Glowinski are indeed the two (after the obvious first two (or 3 if you count Jimmy as our first round pick) that have the best chance. We shall see in a matter of days what the initial thinking is.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:54 pm

"Of course this is the case. Nobody ever said I cannot wait to eff up the first pick. I think Pete and John have a very unique philosophy and they stick to their thinking and stick to their board. It has worked more oft than not, which is my point. Who here would not have drafted Sherm, RW or Kam in the first to rounds????

As I look at this year's draft, I think that Poole is unlikely to stick even this year. Tye & Glowinski are indeed the two (after the obvious first two (or 3 if you count Jimmy as our first round pick) that have the best chance. We shall see in a matter of days what the initial thinking is."

I meant not expecting them to be an All Pro or make the Pro Bowl as some people expect from 1st rounders.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:57 pm

ooops - my bad. carry on. :o :shock: :lol:
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:46 pm

NorthHawk wrote:
Any thoughts on the mid round picks after Lockett that might be a surprise?
I'm hoping Glowinski is one answer on the OL in time, and it looks like Tye Smith might have a chance to stick.
I haven't heard much about Poole, though.

I like Smith, I like him a LOT. I've watched him very closely throughout the pre-season, and he is almost never out of position, rarely beaten, and is developing quite nicely. IMO (and yes this is early but...) I think he's going to be yet another in the growing line of 5th round picks in the secondary that turn out to be awesome.
Sadly, I think Poole is going to get cut soon, he looks like garbage to me.
Glowinski looks raw, but he also shows flashes at times, I think he'll stick, and provide depth. Nest year he'll get another crack at starting, and it wouldn't surprise me if he breaks through next year.
monkey
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:32 pm

On a team as talented as the Seahawks, having 4 picks stick would mean a great draft.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:45 pm

Michael is not a bust but he fumbles too much to be the guy. I don't agree with the Jackson move per say, because it means you have to kick out the new kid Rawls, who was showing promise, for a guy who is not all that great and is on the down side of his career. Sorry except for Turbin's injury it makes no sense. Come on, sorry if I dont get excited about a 34 year old RB!
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:20 pm

It makes a little bit of sense if you think they are thinking short term now, meaning they think they only have a few more chances to win another SB with this group.
Jackson could help with the pass blocking if they are worried about it and maybe help keep Wilson a little cleaner than he might otherwise be.
It's admittedly short term thinking, but it's one of only a few rationalizations I can come up with.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:32 am

Ok, but that's a lot of worry for a blocking RB.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Venice_Hawk » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:15 pm

The Seahawks signed Fred Jackson. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... year-deal/
I like Rawls and I hope we keep him. I would pick Turbin over Michales.
Venice_Hawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:21 pm

Yeah if kick Rawls I am going to be pissed.
obiken
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum