Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:36 pm

No big surprises to me. Except that they kept both Michael and Rawls.... For now.
Last edited by Hawk Sista on Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Re: 53

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:38 pm

Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:42 pm

So the reports about Turbin being released are false?
kalibane
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:43 pm

They kept Michael because they think they can trade him. It's not a surprise, at least not to me. It would have been foolish for them to have cut him if there's any chance they can get something for him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:49 pm

kalibane wrote:So the reports about Turbin being released are false?

No. Turbo is gone. Injury release
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:15 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:No big surprises to me. Except that they kept both Michael and Rawls.... For now.

I was surprised by a few of these. Pinkins looks like someone with big upside, I know they want him for the PS, but still.
Blackmon has experience, so while he wasn't exactly lighting it up, I thought the experience might factor in more there.
The big surprise to me though was Dobbs making the roster while McGill got cut. McGill looked REALLY good the whole pre season, I've never been impressed by Dobbs. Dobbs is just so replacement level...
Oh well shows what I know.

The one I don't like though I understand, is keeping around Ricardo Lockette. Both Williams and Smith have so much more upside as receivers. Both played on special teams as well.
Lockette is a special teams stud, but he's also a stupid penalty magnet, and not much of a route runner at all. I'm personally quite tired of him.
monkey
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:19 pm

No. Turbo is gone. Injury release[/quote]

Actually according this article at Seahawks.com it says that he is on Injured reserve and it also states that Fred Jackson never signed contract???

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/09/05 ... cie-mccray
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:19 pm

kalibane wrote:So the reports about Turbin being released are false?

No Turbin was cut,/injury.
Rawls and Michael are still both there, as are Coleman and Truckafoo, though I think Tuk may yet be cut, and they are trying to find a trade partner for Michael, so the roster will still be in flux for a while yet. You just know Seahawks will keep on churning the roster, and now the cuts have been made, they'll sift through the refuse and find a gem or two.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:23 pm

I pray Kam comes to work Monday.... For US!!!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:24 pm

depaashaas wrote:Actually according this article at Seahawks.com it says that he is on Injured reserve and it also states that Fred Jackson never signed contract???

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/09/05 ... cie-mccray

Yes- Turbin is on IR (injured reserve), meaning he's not cut/released, and it appears we've kept the Fred Jackson signing from officially taking place until we clear a spot for him by trading CM.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:25 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:I pray Kam comes to work Monday.... For US!!!

What ^^she^^ said. In spades.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:29 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:I pray Kam comes to work Monday.... For US!!!

Me to but I am afraid that it will take longer and become bit more uglier as the Hawks traded undisclosed 2016 draft pick with kansas city for safety Kelcie McCray....to be continued
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:31 pm

burrrton wrote:
Yes- Turbin is on IR (injured reserve), meaning he's not cut/released, and it appears we've kept the Fred Jackson signing from officially taking place until we clear a spot for him by trading CM.

This ^^^ is the correct information.
I was under the impression Turbo had been cut. Good call on the Jackson signing/Michael thing.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:08 pm

I'm mildly surprised that Matthews has made it this far. Maybe he's odd man out when P-Rich comes back?? He just didn't seem to be working out well in practice from what I read so I kinda assumed one of th U-dub rookies would make it.

I'm very interested to see what the next 48 hours hold, particularly the PS.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:16 pm

Sorry for the confusion on Turbo. I misread this:

"Seattle also confirmed waiving as injured running back Robert Turbin and cornerback Mohammed Seisay, and placed defensive tackle Jesse Williams on the non-football illness list."
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:45 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:I'm mildly surprised that Matthews has made it this far. Maybe he's odd man out when P-Rich comes back??

Well, we need to remember that he was hurt part of camp, and that greatly affected how we perceive him, also, we don't know what he looked like in practice unless we were in attendance. Finally, he provides something we desperately need and don't otherwise have. SIZE. When you are running guys like Lockett, Baldwin and Kearse as starters, that's a tiny WR corps. Matthews changes the whole dynamic and gives a red zone target those others (except for Graham) cannot.
I'm not at all surprised he stuck, I figured he would, the guy who I believe will ultimately get cut, when P-Rich comes back is Ricardo Lockette, who gives us nothing much in terms of pass catching. Richardson and Lockette both have tremendous speed, but Richardson is a FAR better receiver with WAY more upside than we've yet seen. I believe that it can also be said of Matthews that he hasn't yet tapped his true full potential, whereas Ricardo clearly has hit his ceiling, considering his age.
monkey
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:06 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:Sorry for the confusion on Turbo.

Don't apologize yet- now I'm seeing this on ESPN.com:

"More moves at RB: The Seahawks officially announced that Robert Turbin has been waived with an injury designation."

Anyone able to translate if that means anything other than IR?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:28 pm

I believe if Turbin passes through waivers, he can go on IR.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:38 pm

Seattle placed him on IR. Did not want to risk the waiver process......
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:39 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I believe if Turbin passes through waivers, he can go on IR.

Doesn't IR bypass the waiver process?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:18 pm

I guess I don't know what waived with injury status means?
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:21 pm

Monkey.... A lot of insiders (Danny O' for one) were saying they weren't as high on Matthews as some of the others. Ricardo's addition is special teams coverage. I'll bet you a cup o' Jo that Matthews or Daniels get the ax when p-rich comes back.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:02 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:I guess I don't know what waived with injury status means?

Waived w/injury designation means that if the player is not claimed off of waivers in 24 hours he goes on injured reserve.

I think after 6 or 8 weeks he can be claimed off IR by another team or at anytime the team can negotiate an injury settlement, but there isn't a choice about him going to IR if not claimed.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:01 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:Monkey.... A lot of insiders (Danny O' for one) were saying they weren't as high on Matthews as some of the others. Ricardo's addition is special teams coverage. I'll bet you a cup o' Jo that Matthews or Daniels get the ax when p-rich comes back.

Daniels is our emergency QB, backup return man, and already has shown at LEAST as much catching passes as Lockette.
Matthews is big, he's tall and can out jump defenders...I just don't see it.
I'll bet that cup o' joe :D
I do understand your thinking though, I just disagree with Danny O on this one. Lockette is a special teams stud, no doubt, he's basically Alex Bannister...big deal!
Matthews has a MUCH higher upside as a receiver, and no matter how much Pete emphasizes special teams, ultimately if you're not good at your primary position (and Lockette is really not) then I think sooner or later, with the depth we've added this year, he's going to get beat out.
Then again, I thought he'd already have gotten the axe getting down to 53...clearly that didn't happen so... :? :D
monkey
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:31 pm

"Waived w/injury designation means that if the player is not claimed off of waivers in 24 hours he goes on injured reserve.

I think after 6 or 8 weeks he can be claimed off IR by another team or at anytime the team can negotiate an injury settlement, but there isn't a choice about him going to IR if not claimed." C-Bob

Thanks, Bobby. Makes sense and I can surely see why we were a bit confused. Thank you.

Monkey. Great point about Bannister. (That Lockette & Bannister were both on the WRONG end of the last play of the season is also not lost on me.) Matthew's upside got him the job, for now. While he's been injured, more than one news source (and coaches themselves) made it clear that Chris has work to do.....&slots of it. Size and ceiling matter, though. We shall see.

Let's define the bet a little more. Ask Bob, I'm no welcher- if I say I'm betting, I pay up when I lose. I say Matthews accelerates his efforts, or is excused by mid season... When Kam (please, God), Jeremy and/or P-rich come back. I'll be more specific and say Lockette outlasts Matthews, barring injury or trade.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:09 am

Hawk Sista wrote: I'll be more specific and say Lockette outlasts Matthews, barring injury or trade.

What kind of coffee do you like? :)
monkey
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:25 am

I absolutely vouch for Sis under any and all circumstances!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:23 am

QB - Wilson/Jackson/Daniels*
RB - Lynch/Rawls/Michael/(Fred Jackson still to be signed)
FB - Coleman/Tukuafu
WR - Baldwin/Kearse/Lockett/Matthews/Lockette/Daniels*
TE - Graham/Willson/Helfet
G - Sweezy/Bailey/Glowinski/Sokoli
C - Nowak/Lewis
T - Okung/Britt/Gilliam

DT - Mebane/Hill/Rubin/King
DE - Bennett/Avril/Clark/Dobbs/Marsh
LB - Wagner/Wright/Irvin/Morgan/Pierre-Lewis/Coyle
CB - Sherman/Willliams/Burley/Smith/Simon
S - Thomas/Bailey/Shead/McCray/Terrell

K - Hauschka
P - Ryan
LS - Gresham

Reserve/Injured - Turbin/Seisay/Robinson
PUP - Lane/Richardson
Reserve/Non Football - Williams
Reserve/Did not report - Chancellor
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:37 am

Waived w/injury designation means that if the player is not claimed off of waivers in 24 hours he goes on injured reserve.

I think after 6 or 8 weeks he can be claimed off IR by another team or at anytime the team can negotiate an injury settlement, but there isn't a choice about him going to IR if not claimed.

I don't think a player can be claimed off another teams IR list after they've cleared waivers. I think they have only the time on the waiver wire to make a claim.
It wouldn't make sense for a team to waive a player, put them on IR, spend the money to rehab them, only to have another team snatch him just as he's ready to return.
If a player has to go through the waiver process again before being reinstated from IR, then of course they could be claimed.

I'm willing to be corrected, though.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:49 am

NorthHawk wrote:Waived w/injury designation means that if the player is not claimed off of waivers in 24 hours he goes on injured reserve.

I don't think a player can be claimed off another teams IR list after they've cleared waivers. I think they have only the time on the waiver wire to make a claim.
It wouldn't make sense for a team to waive a player, put them on IR, spend the money to rehab them, only to have another team snatch him just as he's ready to return.
If a player has to go through the waiver process again before being reinstated from IR, then of course they could be claimed.

>>>>>>>>During the offseason and preseason (or, up until the final cuts deadline), players with four years or less of accrued service in the NFL are placed on waivers before they can be placed on IR. This prevents teams from placing on injured reserve younger players they wish to keep on their roster without having to use a roster spot for them. While the salary cap as well as guaranteeing their salary can help deter that as well, it’s another piece of a checks and balances system between teams in the league.

When the Steelers waived Devin Gardner with injury, he was exposed to waivers — meaning, any other team could pick up his contract, knowing he was injured. No one claimed his contract, so he reverted automatically to the Steelers’ IR list.

Oftentimes, teams and players negotiate the terms of their release after injury if there isn’t a mutual interest in the player remaining with the team. Upon coming to a settlement, the player is released and is a free agent. Not many undrafted rookies, like Gardner, end up on a team’s IR list. He did not, and is a free agent now.

So Golson cannot be placed on IR now without exposing him to waivers. That wouldn’t be smart of the Steelers, and to help prevent teams from stashing away young players, the rules are set to make teams carry young players onto their 53-man roster in order to put them on IR without risk of losing them to another team.<<<<<<<<<<<<
savvyman
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:33 am

Turbin isn't a rookie, but the question stemming from mine and Bob's discussion was can a player (a veteran) who passes through waivers and is put on IR be claimed by another team after 6-8 weeks while still on IR? I'm not so sure that can happen.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:43 am

NorthHawk wrote:Waived w/injury designation means that if the player is not claimed off of waivers in 24 hours he goes on injured reserve.

If designated IR or IR with return to availability that's true, but if he reaches IR via injury waiver I believe what I said to be the case so I'll stick with that till I see it laid out differently.

I tried to check the CBA to determine exactly, but that's too much legaleze for me to wade through.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:04 am

Agent 86 wrote:QB - Wilson/Jackson/Daniels*
RB - Lynch/Rawls/Michael/(Fred Jackson still to be signed)
FB - Coleman/Tukuafu
C - Nowak/Lewis
T - Okung/Britt/Gilliam

K - Hauschka
P - Ryan
LS - Gresham

PUP - Lane/Richardson
Reserve/Non Football - Williams

UPDATED SEPT 7 (only 52 on the roster right now as Jackson is not officially signed yet):

RB - Lynch/Rawls
FB - Coleman/Tukuafu
C - Nowak/Lewis
T - Okung/Britt/Gilliam

K - Hauschka
P - Ryan
LS - Gresham

PUP - Lane/Richardson
Reserve/Non Football - J. Williams

Practice Squad:

R. Allen
W. Pericak
E. Pinkins
T. Poole
K. Smith
R. Smith
K. Williams
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:42 am

I keep reading how much Carroll likes Rawls.
He made statements just after the draft where he was comparing his drive and power to Lynch (he qualified it by saying he's not at Lynch's level but had a similar style).
It seems that style and decision making was the difference between he and Michael.
K. Williams also looked good at times. With his build he reminds me a little of Anquan Boldin - but obviously much less polished.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:13 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I keep reading how much Carroll likes Rawls.
He made statements just after the draft where he was comparing his drive and power to Lynch (he qualified it by saying he's not at Lynch's level but had a similar style).
It seems that style and decision making was the difference between he and Michael.
K. Williams also looked good at times. With his build he reminds me a little of Anquan Boldin - but obviously much less polished.

I'm not sure if you read the link that was referenced by S4E and that I posted in another thread, but if you haven't, it's worth a read. It details a lot of problems with Michael, from going out of bounds short of a first down then celebrating to not understanding the ZBS. There's even a quote in there from Tom Cable. It's bad enough to make you wonder why we didn't try to trade him in the offseason.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:22 pm

UPDATED SEPT 7 (only 52 on the roster right now as Jackson is not officially signed yet):

RB - Lynch/Rawls
FB - Coleman/Tukuafu
C - Nowak/Lewis
T - Okung/Britt/Gilliam

K - Hauschka
P - Ryan
LS - Gresham

PUP - Lane/Richardson

Practice Squad:

R. Allen
W. Pericak
E. Pinkins
T. Poole
K. Smith
R. Smith
K. Williams

Another update with the complete 53 man + the 3 extra PS players signed today:

RB - Lynch/Jackson/Rawls
FB - Coleman/Tukuafu
C - Nowak/Lewis
T - Okung/Britt/Gilliam

K - Hauschka
P - Ryan
LS - Gresham

PUP - Lane/Richardson

Practice Squad:

R. Allen - TE
W. Pericak - G/C
E. Pinkins - LB
T. Poole - T
K. Smith - WR
R. Smith - RB
K. Williams - WR
J. Coleman - CB
K. Short - CB
R. Thomas - DE
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:41 pm

I wonder which guy will go to LT when Okung goes down for a few games this year.
Will they move Gilliam there because of his athleticism or will it be Britt or Bailey?
I hope we don't have to find out.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:54 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I wonder which guy will go to LT when Okung goes down for a few games this year.
Will they move Gilliam there because of his athleticism or will it be Britt or Bailey?
I hope we don't have to find out.

It's become a given, and it's why Okung will be exploring FA offers next year.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby monkey » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:09 pm

burrrton wrote:
It's become a given, and it's why Okung will be exploring FA offers next year.

True.
My guess is that it will be Bailey, just because moving Britt again, to a position he has NO WAY of hoping to handle would just ruin him, and Bailey (at least according to Cable) was being groomed for the LT role anyway.
Sadly, Poole is a LONG ways from being any help.
monkey
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:49 am

We lose RO the dream time is over.
obiken
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum