Giants are interested in trading for Kam Chancellor

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Giants are interested in trading for Kam Chancellor

Postby burrrton » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:36 pm

If you are referencing me and my comments Burrrton, I'm not sure that I said that this is a players last chance to earn money in their lifetime.

You're not the first person to bring up 'short windows', Sis, but yeah, your post was the one that triggered me, and no, you didn't say that, but that's the only place I can see concern for 'short windows' coming from.

I wonder if people would think about it differently if all NFL players were pulled from a pool of people already in the workforce. Imagine carpenters, software guys, and such being told they can walk away from their $50-100K/yr jobs and go earn $770K/yr for 3.5 years (all while getting the best medical care, nutrition, and so on), after which they could return to their old jobs. Would we *ever* talk about how lamentable it is it only lasted 3 years for them, or would we recognize that an NFL roster spot is a gift to that person, injury risks and all?

In addition to my points re: Kam - I also (separate and apart from what I believe Kam should do now) think that the existing CBA is billionaire friendly.

Well, like I said, I don't mind the players negotiating more of the pie, but why would it be an issue with you if it *is* billionaire-friendly? Do we really want Paul Allen (and by extension, our Seahawks org) being hamstrung with dead, guaranteed money more often just so guys who are among the most fortunate on our planet can be even more so?

Again, if they negotiate it, good on them, but it's not keeping me up at night if that doesn't come to pass and I don't understand why it would anybody else.

[edit- and yeah, the NFL is nothing without its players, but that's why they make 3/4 of a million dollars doing it, right?]
Last edited by burrrton on Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:37 pm

Not one question or word about Kam during Pete's interview, must have asked them beforehand not to ask.

I think he did a presser before this interview and basically rebuffed every Kam question with "He's out and we're moving on I have nothing to say."

Bet that figured in.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:48 pm

Sorry I do, if they negotiate a contract and then they aren't happy, too bad wait, get a new one. Don't leave your team hung out to dry just for you.

I'm referring more to that which takes place within the framework of normal negotiations (maybe allowing for small holdouts that don't impact, and certainly don't include, games).

If it's really official that Kam is out for STL, I'm going to cue up my "FCK YOU, CHANCELLOR" thread. I have no patience for what he's doing if he's going to skip this important game.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:57 pm

burrrton wrote:Well, I don't think anyone deserves 'demonization' for doing what they can to maximize their earnings. It's just that impulse to point out things like 'short earning windows' aggravates me because it's really irrelevant.

So what if they only have a few years to squeeze my team for as much as they possibly can? I'm supposed to empathize with them because of that? I don't get it.

I don't know that you're supposed to empathize but it is very relevant to them. Just because they can earn after they leave the NFL doesn't mean they will have an opportunity to earn as much in as little time.

It's just a fact and should be taken into account if your goal is to understand their motives. I don't empathize but I "get it".
kalibane
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:07 pm

It's just a fact and should be taken into account if your goal is to understand their motives. I don't empathize but I "get it".

I don't see why anyone would bring it up out of the blue just to show they "get it"- trying to wring more money out of any given situation is human nature- but fair enough.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:02 pm

I like Kam's game he plays with fire we won't lose him some compromise will be reached. We just have to make him happy.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:02 pm

Right, the farther this goes the big thing will be to bring him back while he saves face. Like a signed promise for new contract next year.
obiken
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:13 pm

http://sea.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Ch ... t-39300078

For what its worth here is WHY he is holding out, basically he wants a four yr deal.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:19 pm

"So, in a nutshell, he told me that he's not asking for more money. He wants the money to be moved from the 2017 season to next season with no additional money this season. I said, 'Hey Kam, what about redoing a contract that still has three years left?' He told me he doesn't want to wait until he's almost 30."

It's encouraging in that it sounds like they're pretty close (which of course doesn't mean either will cave, but still), but...

If he doesn't like the idea of negotiating a new contract at "almost 30", why the hell did he sign a 4 year extension at the age of 26??

Just get your ass in camp, Kam- you're hurting my team for a completely bullsht reason.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:21 pm

HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:22 pm

Sounds to me like he can't understand why this hasn't worked for him and he's come down so far on his demands he just doesn't get why the team wont move ... He'll cave soon, play next week.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby SalmonBB » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:45 pm

Hope so.

But even if that doesn't happen, I don't want the Seahawks to cave at all - even if it means not making the playoffs because Kam doesn't show. What he's asking for is beyond strange (I'm being nice with this description ... just deleted a longer diatribe describing my deeper feelings on this). When I read what he was asking, one thing popped to mind that might make his demands logical: gambling debt. Hope this isn't the case for Kam, and that he'll get to practice and put this behind him.

Simply pathetic.

Hoping Bailey has a great game on Sunday. I don't care if he plays as well as Kam. I just want him to have a good game.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
SalmonBB
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:55 pm

SalmonBB wrote:Hope so.

But even if that doesn't happen, I don't want the Seahawks to cave at all - even if it means not making the playoffs because Kam doesn't show.

Simply pathetic.

Hoping Bailey has a great game on Sunday. I don't care if he plays as well as Kam. I just want him to have a good game.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!

So you are OK if the team misses the playoffs over the Cam stalemate? Dude put down the pipe!!!!I am never OK with the Hawks missing the playoffs for any reason.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:25 am

I heard yesterday on Sirius NFL that Kam has said that he'll "meet the Hawks halfway", but has also characterized the Hawks position as "petty", says there's only about $.5 M difference between the two sides. If he can't understand why the Hawks are being so rigid in their discussions with him, therein lies the problem.

A lot will depend on how we start out the season. If we start out 2-0 and Bailey plays well, then Kam comes back with his tail between his legs. If we're 0-2 and the defense is giving up big chunks of yardage and points, then our position will be extremely compromised. There'll be Seahawk fans that will be comparing Schneider with Ruskell. The problem for the Hawks is that these first two games are arguably the toughest back-to-back games we have on our schedule.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Oly » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:29 am

RiverDog wrote:I heard yesterday on Sirius NFL that Kam has said that he'll "meet the Hawks halfway", but has also characterized the Hawks position as "petty", says there's only about $.5 M difference between the two sides. If he can't understand why the Hawks are being so rigid in their discussions with him, therein lies the problem.

A lot will depend on how we start out the season. If we start out 2-0 and Bailey plays well, then Kam comes back with his tail between his legs. If we're 0-2 and the defense is giving up big chunks of yardage and points, then our position will be extremely compromised. There'll be Seahawk fans that will be comparing Schneider with Ruskell. The problem for the Hawks is that these first two games are arguably the toughest back-to-back games we have on our schedule.

You can't just stake out a selfish position and expect anyone to meet you halfway.

"Hey random stranger, can I have sex with your wife?"

"F*** off."

"C'mon, you gotta meet me halfway. Just second base?"

[bloody nose]
Oly
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:36 am

Schneider is in zero danger of being compared to Ruskell. If they start 0-2 Kam still has zero leverage.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:44 am

I don't agree with Kam's position but that is not true. $500,000 for Paul Allen or just the Seahawks franchise is absolutely nothing compared to what $500,000 is to Kam Chancellor.

But the problem that Kam is missing is that if they are really only 500K apart he just lost half of that by sitting out week 1 and if he continues to hold out next week he just lost all of that 500K plus change. So he's not talking about money at this point, his issue is pride and what in his mind is principle.

Every day this goes on longer he's devaluing whatever concessions (if any) the Seahawks were willing to give him.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:27 pm

But the problem that Kam is missing is that if they are really only 500K apart he just lost half of that by sitting out week 1 and if he continues to hold out next week he just lost all of that 500K plus change. So he's not talking about money at this point, his issue is pride and what in his mind is principle.

There's that, plus he's also ignoring that it's obviously not the $500K killing the deal- it's the precedent it would set.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawktown » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:30 pm

500k to the cap is just as big as 500k to Kam if you ask me. Paul Allen's bank account has nothing to do with this. It is just as if the cap were a regular business with a budget to follow.
Hawktown
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:31 pm

Nah. For one the Cap is $143,000,000. Kam's contract is $28,000,000. So even if we were to step outside of the supposed framework of what Kam is saying he wants right now by definition it means five times as much to Kam as it does to the Cap.

Secondly, according to Kam, he wants 2017 money moved to 2016 and guaranteed. The typical way this would happen is by converting base salary to roster bonus. $500,000 in roster bonus is stretched out over the remaining years on the deal which means it would cost $250,000 to next year's cap but they would gain $250,000.00 on the 2017 cap.

Burrrton is absolutely right though. The real problem is the precedent the club doesn't want to set. Furthermore, if his issue moving money from 2017 to 2016 they could have done that next year and while it wouldn't give him more leverage it would be a more palatable position where the Seahawks might be more inclined to move money around for him. There is no angle to look at this situation that makes this hold out appear to be a well thought out idea.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:39 pm

Its not about the money, he doesn't get it, its about renegotiating 3 years from the end of the contract. They just cant do it if they did it would snowball back to Bennett, Sherman, and who knows after that, contracts would never stop.
obiken
Legacy

Postby SalmonBB » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:43 pm

Hawktawk wrote:So you are OK if the team misses the playoffs over the Cam stalemate? Dude put down the pipe!!!!I am never OK with the Hawks missing the playoffs for any reason.

Yes, if it means we can stay competitive long term. I'd rather have a team that is consistently good, rather than one where we do whatever we need to do to make it now. If we want to keep this ball of re-negotiated contracts rolling, then sure, it'll make our players happy now ... but it'll be at the direct expense of our future.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
SalmonBB
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum