Follow the Money & Seahawks

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Follow the Money & Seahawks

Postby jshawaii22 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:22 am

Here is a great breakdown to start the season. Want to be a 'capologist'? Use this as a starting point. The Seahawks seem to run their team like the Republicans want the country... A top tier and a bottom tier. Not a lot of 'middle class'

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... 37435.html

Highlights:
1/2 our starters make 75% of the Salary Cap
4 starters (Colman, Gilliam, Nowak and Dion Bailey) make under $500,000 this year
1/2 our roster makes 1 million or less
Percy Harvin has surpassed Matt Flynn as the biggest mistake JS/PC have made. SEVEN! 7 million in dead cap space... (yes, that's FAR more the Kam's 2015 Salary)
Our future commitments are in-line with a few other teams.
The worst teams (as usual) spend the least amount of $$$ in the NFL.
We don't have very much left for this year, if you hold onto Kam's 5.5m.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Re: Follow the Money & Seahawks

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:24 am

I think there is something close to 10 million coming off of the Dead Cap number after this year with Harvin, Unger, and a few others. It's one of the reasons I thought Okung might be offered something competitive next year. It might also allow the FO to adjust Kam's and maybe Bennett's contracts a little. There will probably also be an increase in the CAP, so that will also help.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:38 am

The Seahawks seem to run their team like the Republicans want the country... A top tier and a bottom tier. Not a lot of 'middle class'

Turn off MSNBC and leave your caricatures out of here, please- there's an OT forum if the Republicans are giving you a boner and you feel like talking about it.

[edit]

For some content, what is it you find so disagreeable about the way they're running the team? You think an NFL franchise should ideally have everyone making the same amount? Star players shouldn't get paid?

You can also read up more on "the middle class": http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/24/news/ec ... s-smaller/

Like "income inequality", it growing or shrinking is meaningless without knowing why.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:50 am

Political comments aside, I don't get the negative aspect you see in his post.
It's simply an interesting way to build a team.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:19 am

Confirms my claim that it was the Percy Harvin deal that opened this can of worms that drives both Bennett and Chancellor's idea that they should be paid more and not have to wait until they are down to their last year. Harvin had 2-3 years left on the contract he had signed with the Vikings and Schneider for some reason tore it up and paid him a lot more.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Oly » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:51 am

NorthHawk wrote:Political comments aside, I don't get the negative aspect you see in his post.
It's simply an interesting way to build a team.

My thoughts exactly. There's something to be said for the stars-and-scrubs approach when the "scrubs" are players on rookie contracts who you can coach up to play your system.

Other than wishing they'd transfer a star contract (or two) from defense to the OL, I have very little to quibble about.

And let's leave the politics out of it. It's not only the wrong place, but it's phrased in a way to troll for responses.
Oly
Legacy

Postby SalmonBB » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:48 pm

Does fining Kam $240k a week help our cap space? If so, then I hope we're fining him. Actually, regardless, I want him to get fined.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
SalmonBB
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:16 pm

I don't believe teams have a choice in fining a player who doesn't report. My understanding is if they fail to report for any given week, they lose that weeks pay.
And yes, it would give some Cap relief.
I guess, he could miss 4 games and we could renegotiate his contract to give him $1 million as a token of good faith (or any amount corresponding to time missed). It wouldn't cost anything and he could save some face in this action.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:23 pm

Oly, it's the Troll responses that are the most fun to read. Can you imagine how red Burrrton's face must get when something as benign as that ruffles those feathers. I do apologize for the comment to all the 'good' republicans who really just want 'fair and balanced' in their lives and can't find it anywhere, anymore.

As for the football questions. I don't think we have to fine him one penny and it's up to the team and him to negotiate that part, but not paying his game checks is totally something else. No play, No pay and I do think that those lost paychecks DO come back to our cap, someway.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:05 pm

Oly, it's the Troll responses that are the most fun to read. Can you imagine how red Burrrton's face must get when something as benign as that ruffles those feathers.

Yes, it's the first time I've run into stuff like that, js- really got under my skin being that I'm new to the internet and all.

Just take your Republican fetish to the OT forum- that's what it's there for. Thank yoder, too.

You also didn't answer the question- what is it you find disagreeable about how the Hawks are running the team??
burrrton
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:14 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:Confirms my claim that it was the Percy Harvin deal that opened this can of worms that drives both Bennett and Chancellor's idea that they should be paid more and not have to wait until they are down to their last year. Harvin had 2-3 years left on the contract he had signed with the Vikings and Schneider for some reason tore it up and paid him a lot more.

The trade was contingent on a new contract, which means no contract, no trade. Seattle didn't cave on Harvins contract, as at no point what so ever did Harvin have a different contract with Seattle, than the one he is currently being paid for, the same as almost every player traded from one team to another ( or at least blockbuster type trades) it is not rare or uncommon as no team will trade for a disgruntled player that is already holding out.

Your need to "confirm" something two years old, about a player a year removed, with claims that aren't factual makes zero sense. It is the same as me claiming that Jones holdout set the precedence, or it was Seattle's fault Graham got the contract he got. This is how these types of trades work, have always worked, and will always work.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:10 am

jshawaii22 wrote: The Seahawks seem to run their team like the Republicans want the country....

Since the Seahawks seem to be highly successful with the way they run their team, Republicans ought to be taking that as a compliment.

I don't have a problem with the salary structure of those that pays unproven, first time starting players that have already more than likely had their college education paid for 'only' $500,000 plus the unique opportunity to earn a helluva lot more, just so they can play a game. My grief comes from the obscene amounts of money the players at the top get, not the supposedly low wages the bottom end make.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:15 pm

OK, the trade was contingent on the new contract, even more reason to not have traded for this Ahoe.

Some of us didn't like trade at the time and we said so. Others, however were for the deal and have been trying to put lipstick on that pig ever since. THE WERE WRONG! GET OVER PH. Quit sniffing his jock. Harvin coming here was BAD for the team, and NO he did not "win" the Super Bowl for us. Quit playing that old tune.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby monkey » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

So does this mean I get to make jokes at the Democrats expense (not hard to do) seeing as how that particular can of worms has been opened?
You know, there is another group of people who favor the middle class over everyone else, they're called COMMUNISTS. In this country they vote Democrat, because modern Liberalism and Communism are essentially identical.

Should I go on, or should we all agree to keep BS politics in the shack?
monkey
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:37 pm

Should I go on, or should we all agree to keep BS politics in the shack?

Just keep it in the OT forum, monkey... :)
burrrton
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:38 am

I promise never to inject political humor into such a serious group of bloggers like this, again.

For the record, we should all be worried about the group of 'politicians' ON BOTH SIDES, that are running to be our next President. It's scary to think what '4 more years' could be like. I'm one of those 'ashamed to be a Republican' type right now. Just like there are those 'ashamed to be a Democrat' for a variety of reasons on each side. Too bad we can't just find politicians with common sense instead of agendas. I liked Ronnie and Bill. Since then, not much out there to like and it sure doesn't look like it's going to get better any time soon.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:17 am

The Seahawks seem to run their team like the Republicans want the country... A top tier and a bottom tier. Not a lot of 'middle class'

Just one comment and I'll quit. For all noise on margins we are basically a nation of centrist. The Centrist get heard once every 4 years and the experts are Usually shocked. When asked in 62 the problem with American Politics, the President said: " Its that most Liberals have no guts, and most Conservatives have no brains. When I see Palin and Bachman on one side, Harry Reed and Barney Frank, on the other, I cant believe how much JFK was low balling it!!
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:10 am

I wouldn't get too upset about mixing politics in this forum, so long as we all keep in mind that we're all Hawk fans. Some people treat their politics as if it were their religion and have little tolerance for ideas opposite of their own. There's never more than a half dozen active threads in here anyway, so it's not like you have to sift through a bunch of off topic subjects if all you're interested in is talking football.

Interesting quote from JFK, Obi. IMO I'd much rather have a President that has balls (females included) than one that's very smart. I've seen some very smart people that make absolutely horrible leaders and rarely do you get one that has both brains and balls.

If all I have is a choice between the two current leaders, I'm probably going to vote Libertarian for the first time in my life. We really have to take a look at how we procure candidates. I'm beginning to think that we got better candidates as a result of party bosses meeting in smoke filled rooms than what we're getting through the current process.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:28 am

RiverDog wrote:I wouldn't get too upset about mixing politics in this forum, so long as we all keep in mind that we're all Hawk fans. Some people treat their politics as if it were their religion and have little tolerance for ideas opposite of their own. There's never more than a half dozen active threads in here anyway, so it's not like you have to sift through a bunch of off topic subjects if all you're interested in is talking football.

Interesting quote from JFK, Obi. IMO I'd much rather have a President that has balls (females included) than one that's very smart. I've seen some very smart people that make absolutely horrible leaders and rarely do you get one that has both brains and balls.

If all I have is a choice between the two current leaders, I'm probably going to vote Libertarian for the first time in my life. We really have to take a look at how we procure candidates. I'm beginning to think that we got better candidates as a result of party bosses meeting in smoke filled rooms than what we're getting through the current process.

I disagree. I hate when a football thread gets fouled with religion or politics. It virtual kills the thread for me. Please keep it in the O/T forum.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawktown » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:25 am

I agree that it should be kept in the off topic forum but i really do not see AT ALL what the OP said was so bad to get ANYONE'S blood boiling. The statement was kinda the truth was it not? no I'm not looking for an answer or debate for that question, just pointing it out. I see no agenda to provoke a political response. If this is how the team is ran, it sure does seem pretty similar to the harmless statement.
Hawktown
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:46 am

Hawktown wrote:I agree that it should be kept in the off topic forum but i really do not see AT ALL what the OP said was so bad to get ANYONE'S blood boiling. The statement was kinda the truth was it not? no I'm not looking for an answer or debate for that question, just pointing it out. I see no agenda to provoke a political response. If this is how the team is ran, it sure does seem pretty similar to the harmless statement.

I agree with that too, it was a pretty innocuous reference to have raised such a response.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:55 am

The statement was kinda the truth was it not?

No, it was not. Want to debate it? Yoder went to the trouble of creating a special forum for you when the evil Republicans have you all hot and bothered- go there. I probably won't un-mute you to engage, but someone will, I'm sure.

c_hawkbob wrote:I agree with that too, it was a pretty innocuous reference to have raised such a response.

Oh for chrissakes- it wasn't innocuous (he admitted he was trolling), and it didn't get anybody's blood boiling- I merely told him take his party bashing to the appropriate forum in equally trolling language.

[edit removed]
Last edited by burrrton on Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawktown » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:01 am

if this is not another blood boiling moment, then I don't know that you know what is, lol. :)
Hawktown
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:16 am

And I agreed with you Burr, must I agree with you in every nuance of what you say to spare myself the "Oh for chrissakes"?

I do think politics should be kept off topic (for this very reason) but I also think you're overreacting a bit.

Last I'll say on it. Promise.
Last edited by c_hawkbob on Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:19 am

Perhaps. It's why he's muted, though, and with the remembrances I'm reading, *that* is the kind of stuff that gets my blood boiling. I'll edit it out.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawktown » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:04 pm

burrrton wrote:Perhaps. It's why he's muted, though, and with the remembrances I'm reading, *that* is the kind of stuff that gets my blood boiling. I'll edit it out.

LOL! not concerned with this at all. Sorrrrrry to have disagreed with you Burrr! You were right after all, all those times. I was not bashing r's or d's, I just made a point you obviously once again disagree with and that is cool with me. Just like everything else you childishly muted a person over, but whatever. I really have nothing more to add to this as there really is not much else about this OP's topic to discuss as far as I can tell. :?
Hawktown
Legacy

Postby monkey » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:40 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:
I agree with that too, it was a pretty innocuous reference to have raised such a response.

It really wasn't though, it was a blatantly antagonistic reference. It raised my ire, because it's a flat out lie, but one that constantly gets perpetuated by the media, and believed by ignoramuses.
Capitalism and free markets is what CREATED the American middle class to begin with, it's all the tinkering and market manipulating (and the pathetic tax code) that is slowly but surely eliminating it.
monkey
Legacy

Postby yoder » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:22 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:I disagree. I hate when a football thread gets fouled with religion or politics. It virtual kills the thread for me. Please keep it in the O/T forum.

Thanks Bob...please do folks, that's why the O/T forum exists. I know people are ramped up and we're down to hours before kickoff...but it's bad joo-joo to argue politics in the Hawks Forum right before the season starts. Right?
yoder
Site Admin

Postby obiken » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:46 am

Sorry Yoder I shouldn't have kept it going.
obiken
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum