Bye bye, Turbo

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Bye bye, Turbo

Postby Oly » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:14 pm

Damn. Not only is Turbin gone, but poor guy has to be a Brown.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13625 ... in-waivers
Oly
Legacy

Re: Bye bye, Turbo

Postby Zorn76 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:11 pm

Tough break for Turbin.

Solid player, good teammate.

I wish him nothing but the best moving forward in his career.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:24 am

Wow, picking him up after we waived him off "Injured Reserve" ... that's very rare. I'll bet the FO is actually pissed. They might need him later in the season.

-- I hope Turbo gets to keep the 3rd year salary + his injury settlement, too.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:53 am

Turbo was going to be a free agent next year anyway, and with the cap limitations we're going to be up against, it wouldn't have made sense to give him a raise, especially if Beast comes back, so they're rather be paying Rawls peanuts to back up Beast rather than giving Turbo even a modest raise.

The other thing is that I think that the Hawks really like Rawls, and want to start grooming him as a possible replacement for Beast.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Oly » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:27 am

RiverDog wrote:Turbo was going to be a free agent next year anyway, and with the cap limitations we're going to be up against, it wouldn't have made sense to give him a raise, especially if Beast comes back, so they're rather be paying Rawls peanuts to back up Beast rather than giving Turbo even a modest raise.

The other thing is that I think that the Hawks really like Rawls, and want to start grooming him as a possible replacement for Beast.

RD, I should have known I could count on your rose-colored glasses for an optimistic opinion on it! :D

Seriously, though, that makes sense.
Oly
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:56 am

What salary cap issues are we looking at next year?
It seems to me we will be in better shape with the dead money for Harvin and Unger gone as well as the expected departure of Okung, that's about 15 million before any increase in the Cap.
With most of the core players signed, increases should be minimal.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:23 pm

RiverDog wrote:Turbo was going to be a free agent next year anyway, and with the cap limitations we're going to be up against, it wouldn't have made sense to give him a raise, especially if Beast comes back, so they're rather be paying Rawls peanuts to back up Beast rather than giving Turbo even a modest raise.

IMO, the Seahawks have to put RB at a high priority next offseason, given how much we rely on the run. I doubt Rawls materializes as a legit candidate, but we'll see.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:26 pm

Why does it seem most expect Okung to be gone? Has he expressed that? We don't have his replacement, unless Alvin Bailey, who lost two other starting possibilities this year at Guard and Right Tackle, suddenly becomes a NFL Left Tackle. So no matter what, we will need a Left Tackle going forward.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:34 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:Why does it seem most expect Okung to be gone? Has he expressed that? We don't have his replacement, unless Alvin Bailey, who lost two other starting possibilities this year at Guard and Right Tackle, suddenly becomes a NFL Left Tackle. So no matter what, we will need a Left Tackle going forward.

I think we would keep him if the price were right, but in all likelihood, he's going to command a very high salary, much higher than he's worth considering all the time he's spent on IR. Given all the big paychecks we've handed out, we're not going to be able to afford him. It's a recognition of reality.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:22 pm

What CAP troubles? How about Sherman, Wagner, Thomas, Bennett, and of course Chancellor all pounding on Pete's door demanding even more money. Who knows? Wilson may even get into the act.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Hawktown » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:29 pm

i agree with zorn that we will need to address RB next draft. Is there a left tackle coming up they may be looking at (likely depending on our draft spot I'm sure)? I like turbo but he is no lynch and I doubt they find another one like him. We can only hope.
Hawktown
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:29 am

RD wrote: I think we would keep him if the price were right, but in all likelihood, he's going to command a very high salary, much higher than he's worth considering all the time he's spent on IR. Given all the big paychecks we've handed out, we're not going to be able to afford him. It's a recognition of reality.

We already pay him millions of dollars on the last year of this contract. Has he really done that much to deserve the industry's version of a 'top dollar' contract coming up? Certainly he'll get a raise, but I don't know what his worth is. And again, if we don't resign him, it's not like we can just stick anyone in there. We will need a Left Tackle, which are high priced players in the overall scheme of things.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:42 am

jshawaii22 wrote:Has he (Okung) really done that much to deserve the industry's version of a 'top dollar' contract coming up? Certainly he'll get a raise, but I don't know what his worth is. And again, if we don't resign him, it's not like we can just stick anyone in there. We will need a Left Tackle, which are high priced players in the overall scheme of things.

You answered your own question. He's almost certainly going to get a raise, but he's not going to be worth it or even if he was worth it, we won't be able to afford it. That's why most everyone doesn't expect him back.

Obviously we can't stick just anyone in there but we need someone more affordable. When we drafted Brit I was hoping that he'd eventually work into that spot, but it looks like they might have given up on him as a tackle. I guess we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum