Official Seahawks vs Rams POST Game Thread

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Official Seahawks vs Rams POST Game Thread

Postby savvyman » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:59 pm

Well that Sucked.

Some questionable play calling.

Some questionable use of talent (Graham)

Seahawks were very fortunate to be in this game.

I questioned in the game thread the Non-Use of Frank Clark in the 4th quarter.

Doug Baldwin needs to put away his dancing shoes and realize the situation better and run after the catch more appropriately.
savvyman
Legacy

Re: Official Seahawks vs Rams POST Game Thread

Postby obiken » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:02 pm

Ok you can beat Baldwin for a 1 bad play get over it. You cannot count on a good FB team giving you 3 T. Overs. Granted one was caused. The OL lost this game. You can b**** about Bailey but who has to play him because we didnt get anyone in FA. 6 sacks folks tell me thats as bad as its going to get this year. MY FEAR is its not.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:32 pm

I agree that blaming Baldwin is misguided.

We put up 31 on the road at 10:00 am - that should win it everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Our secondary looked soft (even Sherman (maybe I'm wrong) and there is just no accounting for the play-calling. The onside kick was STUPID in that situation. They wouldn't have been in FG range. We deserved to lose, no sense of urgency, throwing the ball 3 yards BEHIND the sticks isn't really a good plan, Bevel!!!... I hope it serves as a wake-up call, but I truly believe we will indeed start the season 0 & 2. I called it when the schedule came out. I promised I wouldn't panic if that was the case, but damn, damn damn...this one HURT! And I'm failing at keeping cool. I'm in panic mode.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:51 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:I agree that blaming Baldwin is misguided.

We put up 31 on the road at 10:00 am - that should win it everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Our secondary looked soft (even Sherman (maybe I'm wrong) and there is just no accounting for the play-calling. The onside kick was STUPID in that situation. They wouldn't have been in FG range. We deserved to lose, no sense of urgency, throwing the ball 3 yards BEHIND the sticks isn't really a good plan, Bevel!!!... I hope it serves as a wake-up call, but I truly believe we will indeed start the season 0 & 2. I called it when the schedule came out. I promised I wouldn't panic if that was the case, but damn, damn damn...this one HURT! And I'm failing at keeping cool. I'm in panic mode.

Sherman was fine, he gave up that one big catch, but that pass was absolutely PERFECT! Foles dropped it into the basket right between Sherman and Thomas, and there's not a thing that can be done about it no matter how tight the coverage was.

Apparently the onside kick was a mistake, he was told to squib kick it, and instead went onside? That's what I've read anyway.
I felt the biggest problem other than the O-Line, was the play calling, which was absolutely awful too much of the time. There were some really good moments as well, the Graham touchdown play was a well designed play, but, there were just too many really bad play calls overall.
The O-line was a mess, but we knew it would be, especially against a great D-Line like the Rams, we still had plenty of chances to win though.

Don't panic, we'll kick the Packers butt next week.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:57 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:I agree that blaming Baldwin is misguided.

Green Bay scuffled with the Bears so nothing is set in stone record wise. It is a grueling opening stretch. I'm sure opponents will smell blood in the water but I still like this team. We need Cam as Ive said he is the best player in the secondary. Offense started to look very impressive late, especially Russ passing so why exactly were we running a read option on do or die 4th down? Why didn't Russ ever keep out of the formation? it appeared to be wide open a few times including the last 4th down.Then the onside......WTH????????????????Another stupid call.IMO this tells your defense hey we dont trust you to get Nick Foles off the field so we are trying to steal this possession. Idiotic I am sorry.PC get your head right like it was in 2013 please you were factor in this loss...
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:07 pm

The Offense seemed to play better when they go up tempo.
Maybe it's a rhythm thing with the OL, but I'd like to see it earlier than late 2nd quarter.
Lockett looked good at times at WR and he was probably the only bright spot.
If the performance on Offense (specifically OL) doesn't improve, I can see us at 1-4 come October.

The Defense struggled at times but I think they have the talent to remedy it. I'm not as sure I can say the same on Offense.
It will be interesting to see what happens next week in GB. That should give us a good idea where we're going this year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:17 pm

Foles embarrassed our defense today- I shudder to think what Rodgers might be able to do next week.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:52 pm

burrrton wrote:Foles embarrassed our defense today- I shudder to think what Rodgers might be able to do next week.

Exactly. The Packers are looking to avenge a few BIG losses at the CLINK. I actually think our offense will be fine. More than 100 on the ground + 250 in the air against a very tough D-line (w/ a 10:00 am start) is not bad. And we left soooo much out there. I think our O will continue an upward trajectory throughout the year. That said, our D played soft. We clearly missed Kam and our nickel corner sucked. Very poor tackling and a squishy middle of the field against an angry A-Rodgers and that offense makes me want to golf next weekend. (Almost, anyway)

Anyone care to point out how we win in Lambeau?
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:57 pm

Don't panic, we'll kick the Packers butt next week."

Oh really Monkey? Got any extra dough you wanna bet on that?? Please we are going to lose next week and huge.
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:02 pm

We can win if the OL plays better and we get off to a quick start.
We can't win by throwing 40+ times and less than 35 runs.
Chew up time on the clock mostly by running and keep Rodgers off the field.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:44 pm

When the Bears had the most success, it was when they controlled the clock and kept the packers O on the sideline. We did, though it clearly didn't matter, win the TOP battle today. We have to do that again and we MUST tackle better.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:12 pm

I wasn't that bummed out about the O Line, considering who it was we were going up against. None of our O Lines has had much luck against the Rams. It wasn't a jail break on every play like we've seen in some of our games there and they opened up some decent holes for Beast. 20 points should be good enough to win, we scored 31, so it's hard to put it all on the offense.

I don't know how much not having Kam hurt us without looking at the replay. Bailey fell down on that one play and there seemed to be a lot of coverage gaps, particularly on crossing routes. First game for both Bailey and Williams in our defense so there might have been some confusion. Sherman's only catch he gave up was almost undefendable. I thought the PI in the end zone that didn't get called against him was uncatchable. We got into scoring position and came away with nothing twice in the first half. Decent pressure on a lot of series but we could have used one more sack. Hauschka missed that onsides kick, it was supposed to be a pooch kick. I understand why, trying to keep it away with Austin, but in a domed stadium, don't know why they just didn't tell him to kick it out of the end zone.

Pretty disappointing game to say the least. We really needed that one. Unless we get our coverage problems fixed it could be a long night in Lambeau next week. Then 0-2 really will be a disaster. We'll have a helluva hole to dig ourselves out of.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:19 pm

I don't remember seeing both Graham and Matthews playing while in the Red Zone. Maybe a "twin towers" approach could help get the Offense some TDs.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:20 pm

obiken wrote:Don't panic, we'll kick the Packers butt next week."

Oh really Monkey?

Yes. Really.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:22 pm

I see RW struggle and get a shaky mind. Maybe his new contract with $$ guaranteed and the new GF and rapper lifestyle took the edge off. Hope not but remember Romo wilted with Jessica in the stands. maybe RW is actually too short. cant see JG past the 6-7 defenders. Not suer but get a bad vibe, esp about the D. If our D fails then its over. Look at Titans today

Marcus Mariota 13/16 209 13.1 4 0 2-24 158.3

Maybe we should have traded RW to them for 1st rnd pic got Mariota alot taller and mobile and cheaper for a few seasons and used the cash to get O linemen.

Yep I am a Monday morning QB babbling on Sunday nite

lets beat GB now
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:40 pm

Uppercut wrote:I see RW struggle and get a shaky mind. Maybe his new contract with $$ guaranteed and the new GF and rapper lifestyle took the edge off. Hope not but remember Romo wilted with Jessica in the stands. maybe RW is actually too short. cant see JG past the 6-7 defenders. Not suer but get a bad vibe, esp about the D. If our D fails then its over. Look at Titans today

Marcus Mariota 13/16 209 13.1 4 0 2-24 158.3

Maybe we should have traded RW to them for 1st rnd pic got Mariota alot taller and mobile and cheaper for a few seasons and used the cash to get O linemen.

Yep I am a Monday morning QB babbling on Sunday nite

lets beat GB now

RW did not play that bad, I don't know where that keeps coming from. He made a mistake on a throw he doesn't usually make, the INT but other than that he played his usually RW ball, except not as many shots down field. Who knows why, without looking at the all 22, but I imagine it had something to do with the way the Rams were playing and the Hawks game plan, with a shaky o-line against that D-Line. As far as Mariota goes I think he has the potential to have a great career, but lets not compare what he did today with what RW did against 2 different level defenses. The Rams are one of the best in the NFL and probably have the best D-line while the Bucs had the first pick for a reason. I wouldn't be shocked if they had it again. I have never really been a Winston fan. With that being said I hope Mariota has an amazing career and him and RW face each other a lot in the SB.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:50 pm

RW did not play that bad, I don't know where that keeps coming from.

Thank you. He completed almost 80% of his passes for heaven's sake.

I do remember at least 1 sack he ran in to, but go watch our game vs, say, DAL/NYG or NE/PIT and compare the composition of the pockets. There's no comparison. 75% of the time our pocket breaks down in some fashion- our left tackle, supposedly the 'rock' of our o-line, is nearly stationary (relative to good tackles).

Wilson was not, in any way, shape, or form, even close to being part of our problem in this game.
Last edited by burrrton on Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:56 pm

Russell threw that one bad pick that was all on him (where's Anthony?), but that was about the only play I can think of where he made a blatant mistake. Of course, we don't see everything on TV, if there were open receivers he didn't or couldn't find, etch, but nothing apparent to arm chair quarterbacks as we all are. He's not the reason we lost.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:01 pm

burrrton wrote:
Thank you. He completed almost 80% of his passes for heaven's sake.

I do remember at least 1 sack he ran in to, but go watch our game vs, say, DAL/NYG or NE/PIT and compare the composition of the pockets. There's no comparison. 75% of the time our pocket breaks down in some fashion- our left tackle, supposedly the 'rock' of our o-line, is nearly stationary (relative to good tackles).

Wilson was not, in any way, shape, or form, even close to being part of our problem in this game.

Exactly Rw actually played well except for the Int. I saw a stat were he is what, hit hurried or sacked on every drop back in the 1st half. Even in the 2nd half unless we were up tempo it seemed he was hit, hurried or sacked most of the time.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:10 pm

One can nitpick and say he held onto the ball too long a couple of times, but he did pretty well considering the play of the OL.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:48 pm

NorthHawk wrote:One can nitpick and say he held onto the ball too long a couple of times, but he did pretty well considering the play of the OL.

And actually the OL didn't play that badly IMO, considering who they were going up against. Even with our best OL's over he past 3 years or so, we haven't had as much luck putting points on the board as we did today, at least not in StL.

Our secondary coverage looked like Swiss cheese. I'm not prepared to lay the blame for our loss on Kam's absence, but in a game that close.....
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:56 pm

In fairness to Wilson's critics his pick led to 3 points that were eventually the difference between a Hawks outright win and an overtime in which they lost. Overall Russ played darn good considering the onslaught of hits.
For me this game was as much about our opponent as anything else. The Rams looked physical, confident, prepared, and intense. Foles played like a seasoned vet absorbing some big hits and shaking off a strip 6 to complete 2 scoring drives.There was nothing gimmicky about this Rams win.I been expecting the Rams to jump up for some time. Well they have and the division just got way harder with a real QB behind the Rams center.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:06 pm

Oh really Monkey? [/quote]

Monkey, we are going killed next week period. Lambo field, and 3 major loses to us in a row. I would be shocked if we lose by less than 14.
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:18 pm

"And actually the OL didn't play that badly IMO, considering who they were going up against. Even with our best OL's over he past 3 years or so, we haven't had as much luck putting points on the board as we did today, at least not in StL.

Our secondary coverage looked like Swiss cheese. I'm not prepared to lay the blame for our loss on Kam's absence, but in a game that close....."

I can't rationalize 6 sacks when we have such a mobile QB.
Does this mean that the Rams will get a dozen against Arizona or Dallas if they play them?
The run blocking wasn't great, either. If it was good, we wouldn't have had to pass 41 times while only running 32.
That ratio has to change for us to succeed and the OL has some work to do if we want to get on track Offensively.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:35 pm

NorthHawk wrote:"And actually the OL didn't play that badly IMO, considering who they were going up against. Even with our best OL's over he past 3 years or so, we haven't had as much luck putting points on the board as we did today, at least not in StL.

Our secondary coverage looked like Swiss cheese. I'm not prepared to lay the blame for our loss on Kam's absence, but in a game that close....."

I can't rationalize 6 sacks when we have such a mobile QB.
Does this mean that the Rams will get a dozen against Arizona or Dallas if they play them?
The run blocking wasn't great, either. If it was good, we wouldn't have had to pass 41 times while only running 32.
That ratio has to change for us to succeed and the OL has some work to do if we want to get on track Offensively.

I was comparing our performance with previous efforts. Nor did I say that it was great. I simply said that it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated.

Now I'll admit that 14 of our 31 points came on defense/ST, but nevertheless, it is the most points we've put up, home or away, against a Rams team since 2009. Our offensive line was not the primary problem. Our biggest problem was our secondary coverage, which used to be a strength.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:03 pm

I disagree or maybe I have higher standards.
If we had been able to consistently run, we could have ground out a win by taking time off the clock or get a 1st down when we really needed it and in the Red Zone. Our DL is pretty good and the Rams, with 4 players on their OL not playing the same position as last year, they were able to both get good chunks of yards late and protect Foles enough for their pass patterns to develop.
They got good play when they needed it, we didn't. That's not good line play.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:55 pm

Anything is possible in week #1, and we certainly saw that today.

The alleged squib-turned-onside kick...was just inexplicable under the circumstances. It's like putting 5 rounds in the cylinder and hoping that you just here a click after pulling the trigger.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

You kick it deep and take your chances.

Period.

We rallied so hard to get back into this game, then catch a HUGE break with the sack-strip fumble recovery for a TD, only to cough up the lead on the ensuing defensive series. This is the type of game that reminds me of Seahawks' teams past, in terms of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Fortunately, these guys have way more heart and character than their predecessors. We've seen baffling losses before, yet have things work out by regular season's end. In the long run, we'll be fine, IMO. The schedule, we knew, would be tough the first two weeks. The Rams defense is no joke, and playing in Lambeau is on nobody's wish list.

Yet it wouldn't surprise me in the least if we won next week. The Bears were up 13-10 at the half, and Matt Forte had 141 yds on 24 carries. Rodgers was his typical self, throwing 3 TD passes, but his teams' defense is nowhere near what we faced today. We're going up against a formidable offense next week, obviously, but RW and co. should be able to keep pace. It's a few clutch plays that win or lose games. Today, you have to throw in a beyond stupid call to start OT.

The Rams deserve credit for playing a solid game. That said, I still see them as a .500 team more or less by the end of the season. Same with AZ, who beat the Saints by 12 this afternoon. It's a marathon, not a sprint. We stumbled badly at the finish line for this game, but I see many more wins than losses overall.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:24 pm

savvyman wrote:Well that Sucked.

Some questionable play calling.

Some questionable use of talent (Graham)

Seahawks were very fortunate to be in this game.

I questioned in the game thread the Non-Use of Frank Clark in the 4th quarter.

Doug Baldwin needs to put away his dancing shoes and realize the situation better and run after the catch more appropriately.

add in a TD drop by Luke Willson as well
Anthony
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:19 am

NorthHawk wrote:I disagree or maybe I have higher standards.
If we had been able to consistently run, we could have ground out a win by taking time off the clock or get a 1st down when we really needed it and in the Red Zone. Our DL is pretty good and the Rams, with 4 players on their OL not playing the same position as last year, they were able to both get good chunks of yards late and protect Foles enough for their pass patterns to develop.
They got good play when they needed it, we didn't. That's not good line play.

I think you have higher standards, North. We rushed for 124 yards on 32 attempts yesterday, and that's pretty darn good considering Russell didn't gain much on quarterback scrambles or read options, which he never kept on even though they were crashing on Lynch. That 124 rushing yards puts us in the top 10 in team rushing stats in the league. They didn't shut us down, except of course on that last play.

Last year in St Louis, Lynch had one of his worst games, 53 yards on 18 carries for a 2.9 ypc. Yesterday he had 73 yards on 18 carries. 2013 in St Louis was far worse as we only rushed for 43 yards as a team, including Russell's contributions. Clearly our run blocking was more productive yesterday than it has been in the last two years vs. the Rams in their house.

Even at home we haven't run the ball well, gaining 111 yards on 36 attempts at home in 2013 and 132 yards on 34 attempts last season in Seattle. The only time we put up good rushing numbers against the Rams is when Russell Wilson contributes 50+ yards, which didn't happen yesterday.

In pass protection, we gave up 6 sacks yesterday, not good, but it wasn't as bad as 2013 when we gave up 7. That was about what I expected.

So yea, North, your expectations are pretty lofty considering how many new faces in new places that we have along the line, particularly our center, who struggled with his snaps and threw off the timing on several plays.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:11 am

The game is played between the goal lines, not the 20 yard lines.
When we got into the Red Zone, the OL play was not good at all - and that's where it counts the most.
You can run for 400 yards, but if you can't get it done when it's important, it's not worth anything.
I said earlier they looked better when they went up tempo, and I think that's part of the problem. They slowed down the process when it got tight and the OL didn't get it done then for the most part.
That Wilson threw 41 times tell us the coaches aren't confident in the run blocking and the 6 sacks tells us the pass blocking isn't very good, either.
They have to step it up if we're going to win enough games for another Division title.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:24 am

I thought the gameplan was good. Throw short routes, screens, crossing routes etc. to minimize the Ram's pass rush. Wilson was 32/41, which is around 80% I believe. That's a ridiculous %. So in theory it worked. The problem was the Hawks did not consistently sustain drives by hitting the usual deep shots, be it because of pass rush, receivers blanketed or RW not seeing them (we don't know the reason without the film).

On D Chancellor's absense is immense. Hell, he may be the best player on that D and I did not know he was THAT good. Apparently he is. I think his loss was felt as much in run support as it was in pass assignments, etc. Either way, this guy's stock is skyrocketing right now. I watched an NFL.Com video discussing Kam and Michael Irvin was pissed. Basically said this man is not even asking for more money. Considering the violent nature of how he plays, he just wants his money sooner. Said this is the problem when suits make decisions about policy over personnel affected by the decision. I agree. This guy is an incredible force on D and you have to find a way to sign him ASAP.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:06 am

Does guaranteeing money in future years of a contract affect the Cap numbers?
I honestly don't know the answer to that, but I would think that if it did it would mean someone would have to be cut to give Kam more money this year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Oly » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:58 am

Oddly, I'm not that disturbed by the game yesterday. The Rams are a really good team and playing at home, and I was pleasantly surprised that the offense scored 17 against the best D-line in the game. (On a related note, is there a DT in the game you'd take above Aaron Donald right now? Damn, that guy was lights-out yesterday.) I was expecting the Hawks' OL would struggle even more than it did. The pass pro was bad, but that DL makes a lot of teams look bad in that department.

The coverage problems on defense were uncharacteristic, and Kam's absence was obviously part of that (although I don't think it was as big of a difference as future suggests). But Wagner and Wright had uncharacteristically bad games in coverage, and once those two return to where they usually are, and Richard coaches up Bailey a bit more, I think the coverage game will be fine even without Kam. Perhaps not legendarily good like it's been the last couple of years with him, but still one of the best ones in the league.

The DL played very well, holding the Rams' run game in check (26 runs for 79 yards and a 2.9 YPC...a far cry from what others in the thread have characterized as their 3rd stringers running all over us). The Hawks' run game was also good given the opponent.

Were there some issues? Of course; there are in any loss. Wilson's accuracy issues from the preseason were evident on a couple of throws, but he still had a great completion %. Overall, I didn't see anything that seems unfixable.

Go Hawks!
Oly
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:00 am

Futureite wrote:I thought the gameplan was good. Throw short routes, screens, crossing routes etc. to minimize the Ram's pass rush. Wilson was 32/41, which is around 80% I believe. That's a ridiculous %. So in theory it worked. The problem was the Hawks did not consistently sustain drives by hitting the usual deep shots, be it because of pass rush, receivers blanketed or RW not seeing them (we don't know the reason without the film).

On D Chancellor's absense is immense. Hell, he may be the best player on that D and I did not know he was THAT good. Apparently he is. I think his loss was felt as much in run support as it was in pass assignments, etc. Either way, this guy's stock is skyrocketing right now. I watched an NFL.Com video discussing Kam and Michael Irvin was pissed. Basically said this man is not even asking for more money. Considering the violent nature of how he plays, he just wants his money sooner. Said this is the problem when suits make decisions about policy over personnel affected by the decision. I agree. This guy is an incredible force on D and you have to find a way to sign him ASAP.

Of your two paragraphs I agree completely with the first one. Spot on assessment in my opinion and I do believe it was the game plan due to the porous nature of our OL in the pre-season.

As far as Kam goes. He is good, but the loss, IMO wasn't just that he is that good but also his replacement played that poorly. Bailey simply is not ready to play at this level. He might get there but isn't yet. I don't know about his stock skyrocketing because we haven't seen the other safety play much yet but if he even plays as a decent backup it will greatly reduce this perceived value. Michael Irvin is an idiot. Anybody paying attention to the negotiations knows he isn't looking for any 'new' money, but wants that money moved up and guaranteed. The problem with this is what do you think will happen after he gets paid. A hypothetical: Lets say the Hawks cave and are willing to move all of that money up, to 2016. First of all it messes up their projected 2016 cap, not a huge deal but still an issue. Then what happens in 2017 when he is 'only' getting paid 2mil? he will hold out then crying "I'm one of the best safeties in the NFL and I'm only making 2 mil, WTF." lastly, like everybody has been saying all along it sets a precedent that no team wants to set, even if it isn't giving him more money. Who doesn't want more money today. JS is going to have every star player lining up at his door wanting money moved up. Stupid.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:04 am

Oly wrote:Oddly, I'm not that disturbed by the game yesterday. The Rams are a really good team and playing at home, and I was pleasantly surprised that the offense scored 17 against the best D-line in the game. (On a related note, is there a DT in the game you'd take above Aaron Donald right now? Damn, that guy was lights-out yesterday.) I was expecting the Hawks' OL would struggle even more than it did. The pass pro was bad, but that DL makes a lot of teams look bad in that department.

The coverage problems on defense were uncharacteristic, and Kam's absence was obviously part of that (although I don't think it was as big of a difference as future suggests). But Wagner and Wright had uncharacteristically bad games in coverage, and once those two return to where they usually are, and Richard coaches up Bailey a bit more, I think the coverage game will be fine even without Kam. Perhaps not legendarily good like it's been the last couple of years with him, but still one of the best ones in the league.

The DL played very well, holding the Rams' run game in check (26 runs for 79 yards and a 2.9 YPC...a far cry from what others in the thread have characterized as their 3rd stringers running all over us). The Hawks' run game was also good given the opponent.

Were there some issues? Of course; there are in any loss. Wilson's accuracy issues from the preseason were evident on a couple of throws, but he still had a great completion %. Overall, I didn't see anything that seems unfixable.

Go Hawks!

I agree with this as well, although I would also add that the tackling was uncharacteristically bad.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:09 am

I think what JS should do is get Kam (with his agent, too if he insists) in a room with a list of the roster and show him the Cap numbers.
Then he should show him the roster and say "you pick who we cut to make room for your increased costs and when we do, you be here when we do it".
After that, tell him the plan so he knows how they intend to keep the team at a championship level and let him know he will be paid in later years when we aren't up against the Cap so much.
They could then offer to remove any existing fines they are permitted to under the CBA as a carrot.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:28 am

I watched an NFL.Com video discussing Kam and Michael Irvin was pissed. Basically said this man is not even asking for more money. Considering the violent nature of how he plays, he just wants his money sooner. Said this is the problem when suits make decisions about policy over personnel affected by the decision. I agree.

What nonsense.

First, he *is* asking for more money in that the cap hit increases next year over what it would have been, and teams just can't do that willy-nilly- good cap management requires planning.

More importantly, the reason he's not going to get that (or at least hasn't yet) is because the organization has made it very clear they don't renegotiate contracts with so many years left on them, and I'm sorry, Kam and Irvin, but that's not indefensible.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:57 pm

Right on Burry, once you give him a check for 900k you might as well open the door for Michael Bennett, Irvin, or Sherman to front load theirs. I get his complaint, the next year isn't worth the paper its printed on in the NFL. That is NOT managements fault. Its the fault of the NFLPA. They need to negotiate the right of a player to get payed at least 50% of the next year IF they are cut. Remember however, the cap exist not to cap NFL salaries, its exist to protect the owners from each other. And this is coming from a guy that believes in God, guns, and unions, and that we should spank the rich till they squeal!
obiken
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Back to FB, they were pointing out this morning, that the loss of KC has caused our DC to go away from the 3 deep zone that we made a living on, to man to man. Moreover you even had Sherm over on the other side trying to cover a slant?? why?? No faith in Bailey?? Or Krissy is experimenting??
obiken
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:30 pm

obiken wrote: Moreover you even had Sherm over on the other side trying to cover a slant?? why?? No faith in Bailey?? Or Krissy is experimenting??

I don't know the exact play you are talking about but I am sure they didn't know the receiver sherm was going over to cover was going to run a slant. But to your whole post I definitely agree. IMO, they played this game way differently than they would have with Kam. With that being said they Kris may not favor the 3 deep look as much as his predecessors, although it certainly is a major staple of PC's defenses. This, along with the fact that his replacement didn't play like an NFL ready SS is why I put this loss on the Kam holdout.
mykc14
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum