Offensive Line - Worst in the NFL?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Offensive Line - Worst in the NFL?

Postby savvyman » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:21 pm

>>>>>>Only center Drew Nowak – ironically, the player replacing Max Unger — avoided a heavy negative grade versus St. Louis, while the other four combined for an astounding -26.3 grade, or an average of -6.6 between them. The Seattle offensive line combined to surrender three sacks, one hit and 12 additional hurries, and run blocking was almost as bad. It’s a testament to Marshawn Lynch’s ability that he was able to top 4 yards per carry over his 18 carries, generating 73 rushing yards, 39 of which came after contact. Of Fred Jackson’s 13 rushing yards, 11 came after contact, and the team’s other backs combined for seven rushing yards, five of which came after contact.<<<<<<<

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/09/14/seahawks-o-line-could-cost-them-a-shot-at-super-bowl/
savvyman
Legacy

Re: Offensive Line - Worst in the NFL?

Postby burrrton » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:24 pm

They'll get no argument out of me after what I saw yesterday.

I do try to keep in mind the importance of cohesiveness in o-lines, and that this combination of guys has been playing together, what, 3 weeks?

If you're looking for something optimistic to hang on to, that might be it, but there's no arguing with how terrible they were.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:19 pm

After that game they should have a sense of urgency to get better.
The good news is they might get a chance to get some momentum against GB, but I wonder if some different pressure packages by GB will wreak havoc. With 3 young guys on the line, there are probably some things they haven't seen before.
That's why the run game will be so important to keep Rodgers off the field.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:29 pm

Yes it is. No there is NO way be beat GB this week, not in GB especially. Ok they might get better but we will 2 games outta first.
obiken
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:18 pm

LMFAO off "no way". You should watch football. No such thing as no way in the NFL, College, HS or pop warner.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:20 am

Obiken, always the positive thinker in the group!

And do you want the real good news?... I'll bet that -26 as a team was mostly in the first half. Pete claimed, after the game, that the OLine played them 'even' in the second half. Come to think of it, you don't score 18 points giving up sacks or having penalties. Lets at least give them the benefit of the doubt.

As for the worst, I watched most of the The Ravens - Denver and a lot of the Tampa-Titans (Go Mariota!) and they both looked just as bad or worse. I'm sure there were others. WE did score more then our usual points, it's not like we had NO offense.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:23 am

No the oline is great its all Wilson ask HC Sarcasm off in all honesty the oline is a huge problem is it has been bad for 3+ years.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:20 am

One day - maybe it'll be 15 years from now - you guys are going to yearn for these days. We've been one of the best teams in football for three years. Do you really think Pete and john are unaware?? We have x amount of $$ in the salary cap. That $$ is spent largely on 10-12 dudes, most of whom are on defense (RW and Beast excepted). This is all part of how these guys build. Sure, they'd rather have Dallas' online but then they wouldn't have who we have. And looky who has made it to the super bowl, after going deep in the playoffs for these same three years you've been whining about.

The cap is the cap. When a star is born on your team from the 5th round, you pay him. We have no wiggle room. This may be the year the system breaks down because the D just let the Rams hang 34 points on us, but their hodge-podge ugly ass o-line (which takes until mid season to be decent) has been good enough for us to have the single best stretch in franchise history. WAKE UP. you don't know more than Pete, John, Tom and Pat Ruel. You just don't.

And this is coming from a girl who might draft an offensive linemen in each of the first three rounds. You have to know by now that it's just how this organization is going to do it. As uncomfy as it is, one cannot deny the success we have had.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:34 am

Hawk Sista wrote:One day - maybe it'll be 15 years from now - you guys are going to yearn for these days. We've been one of the best teams in football for three years. Do you really think Pete and john are unaware?? We have x amount of $$ in the salary cap. That $$ is spent largely on 10-12 dudes, most of whom are on defense (RW and Beast excepted). This is all part of how these guys build. Sure, they'd rather have Dallas' online but then they wouldn't have who we have. And looky who has made it to the super bowl, after going deep in the playoffs for these same three years you've been whining about.

The cap is the cap. When a star is born on your team from the 5th round, you pay him. We have no wiggle room. This may be the year the system breaks down because the D just let the Rams hang 34 points on us, but their hodge-podge ugly ass o-line (which takes until mid season to be decent) has been good enough for us to have the single best stretch in franchise history. WAKE UP. you don't know more than Pete, John, Tom and Pat Ruel. You just don't.

And this is coming from a girl who might draft an offensive linemen in each of the first three rounds. You have to know by now that it's just how this organization is going to do it. As uncomfy as it is, one cannot deny the success we have had.

The FO hasn't shown an inclination to pay a relatively modest price for OL when they develop into average OL and become FA's.
Will this continue once these guys reach that level and their contracts are up?
Is this what we are going to see every year?
Okung and maybe Sweezy gone after this year, Britt when his contract is up?
I don't get how that can continue and yet develop a good OL if we are exchanging experienced players with inexperienced ones most years.
If this is the plan, then it becomes a necessity to draft good OL so they only have to teach the finer points instead of the most rudimentary basics as well as the finer points.
The team gets the benefits of a good O Lineman earlier for a few years before letting him go in FA.
The Offense will never reach its potential without a solid OL.
I really think we will see how bad it is when Lynch retires and we don't see our RB breaking 6 - 8 tackles per game.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:51 am

NorthHawk wrote:
The FO hasn't shown an inclination to pay a relatively modest price for OL when they develop into average OL and become FA's.
Will this continue once these guys reach that level and their contracts are up?
Is this what we are going to see every year?
Okung and maybe Sweezy gone after this year, Britt when his contract is up?
I don't get how that can continue and yet develop a good OL if we are exchanging experienced players with inexperienced ones most years.
If this is the plan, then it becomes a necessity to draft good OL so they only have to teach the finer points instead of the most rudimentary basics as well as the finer points.
The team gets the benefits of a good O Lineman earlier for a few years before letting him go in FA.
The Offense will never reach its potential without a solid OL.
I really think we will see how bad it is when Lynch retires and we don't see our RB breaking 6 - 8 tackles per game.

I actually agree with your premise, we haven't signed any of our OL to long term contracts after we have delevloped them, but its hard to say if that because we are unwilling to or that they are getting stupid contracts from other teams. Breno and Carp were overpaid in free agency and were constantly complained about when they were here. It will be interesting to see what happens to Okung, although I suspect some team will pay him more than he is worth, especially given his play this pre-season and Sunday. I have been a big Okung supporter but have been really uninspired by his play so far this year.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:56 pm

I do not disagree with what you are saying at all. My point is this: the FO has a plan. That plan is not my plan. The plan has resulted in three consecutive years of us being one of the best teams, if not the BEST, in the NFL. I don't necessarily think the plan is to hose the O-line, I think it has just worked out that way. This off season should prove interesting with Okung and Sweezy for sure....

And hell, maybe this is the year we take a step back and run an 8 & 8 season. Then the boys will really have some figuring to do. BUT, they have a philosophy and a plan. We see snippets (win forever, always compete, etc) of the philosophy and we see the product on the field. That does not translate into us being privy to real meaningful understanding their plan long term. The fact remains, however, that they absolutely have a long range plan.

When the dynamic duo of PC and JS arrived, the cupboards were bare as hell. It was no big surprise that they went shopping/hunting/gathering to restock the shelves. We were ok with discarding the old regime because it needed to happen. The trouble we are running into now, IMHO, is the new commodities we have acquired have learned and grown and gotten really good. Part of this is because they are indeed really very good and part of this is that they are working as part of the plan/philosophy. Now, we either have to pay them or someone else will because we simply cannot pay everyone top dollar. We are now starting to see some of the stars leave the nest. They were made stars because of this system and this opportunity and out they will go because there is no other way in this era of parity. John and Pete have proven they can build something special - their way. what remains to be seen is if they can maintain it. And I ain't going to give up on the idea that we will have winning seasons for a few years to come.

Since this teams inception, we have had exactly 5 seasons (since 1976) with more than 10 wins in a season. 1984, 2005 and the last three years. Think about that for just a second. Of the 5 times the Hawks have bested 10 wins in 40 ever lovin years, THREE of them have been within the last three years with two trips to the super bowl. One cannot build a 4 win team into a perennial powerhouse winning 11, 13, and 12 times/season with back-to-back super bowl trips by accident. This is, without question, the most successful run the Hawks have had as a team. The Defense these past three years will be considered amongst the best stretches for any defense in the history of the league.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby The POPE » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:47 pm

The players that have flourished in the system were drafted because they fit the system Pete wants to run. A lot of these guys (Sherman, Kam, maxwell, etc) were late round picks nobody else wanted. They got some success because they were placed in a system that fit their skills. How many will go on to have success on another team? My guess is not many. Maxwell didn't set the world on fire last night, (I know, Julio jones, 1st game, etc). ,teams will be willing to pay big bucks for the least player the Hawks deam to expensive to keep. The players are going for the money, they put their time in and got a ring. Now it time to get paid. If most of the LOB moved on they will never experience the success they have seen, but they will have full pockets. Greed is the worst of all evils and it has arrived in Seattle. Show me the money (drop a little extra in that collection plate).

The Pope
The POPE
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:52 pm

We need some fa help it can be had still, something must be done. The system we have may cause the OL to improve but it better happen soon.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:14 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:I do not disagree with what you are saying at all. My point is this: the FO has a plan. That plan is not my plan. The plan has resulted in three consecutive years of us being one of the best teams, if not the BEST, in the NFL. I don't necessarily think the plan is to hose the O-line, I think it has just worked out that way. This off season should prove interesting with Okung and Sweezy for sure....

And hell, maybe this is the year we take a step back and run an 8 & 8 season. Then the boys will really have some figuring to do. BUT, they have a philosophy and a plan. We see snippets (win forever, always compete, etc) of the philosophy and we see the product on the field. That does not translate into us being privy to real meaningful understanding their plan long term. The fact remains, however, that they absolutely have a long range plan.

When the dynamic duo of PC and JS arrived, the cupboards were bare as hell. It was no big surprise that they went shopping/hunting/gathering to restock the shelves. We were ok with discarding the old regime because it needed to happen. The trouble we are running into now, IMHO, is the new commodities we have acquired have learned and grown and gotten really good. Part of this is because they are indeed really very good and part of this is that they are working as part of the plan/philosophy. Now, we either have to pay them or someone else will because we simply cannot pay everyone top dollar. We are now starting to see some of the stars leave the nest. They were made stars because of this system and this opportunity and out they will go because there is no other way in this era of parity. John and Pete have proven they can build something special - their way. what remains to be seen is if they can maintain it. And I ain't going to give up on the idea that we will have winning seasons for a few years to come.

Since this teams inception, we have had exactly 5 seasons (since 1976) with more than 10 wins in a season. 1984, 2005 and the last three years. Think about that for just a second. Of the 5 times the Hawks have bested 10 wins in 40 ever lovin years, THREE of them have been within the last three years with two trips to the super bowl. One cannot build a 4 win team into a perennial powerhouse winning 11, 13, and 12 times/season with back-to-back super bowl trips by accident. This is, without question, the most successful run the Hawks have had as a team. The Defense these past three years will be considered amongst the best stretches for any defense in the history of the league.

I'm not disagreeing with the history, but that's done with.
What's going to happen in the future without the premier tackle breaking RB?
4 of the 5 starting OL from our Super Bowl win are gone. That Offense looked like it would have a future, but the OL replacements to date haven't demonstrated they are equal to that group.
Cable says this bunch in time should be the best OL he's had. How long is that? 3 games, maybe 11? How about 2 years down the road?
Can we afford to wait more than a few games and watch Wilson get beat up and waste Graham and Lockett's talents before we are out of the race?
They have to get better soon up front. I hope it starts this Sunday.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:00 pm

I'm not disagreeing with the history, but that's done with.
What's going to happen in the future without the premier tackle breaking RB?
4 of the 5 starting OL from our Super Bowl win are gone. That Offense looked like it would have a future, but the OL replacements to date haven't demonstrated they are equal to that group.
Cable says this bunch in time should be the best OL he's had. How long is that? 3 games, maybe 11? How about 2 years down the road?
Can we afford to wait more than a few games and watch Wilson get beat up and waste Graham and Lockett's talents before we are out of the race?
They have to get better soon up front. I hope it starts this Sunday.

I think we will struggle for a little while longer and will pull it together and make the playoffs. Our experience and momentum will carry us as far as our health will allow at the time ...but what do I know? We don't know what will happen in the future (as you asked). Nobody does. Hell, if I knew what was going to happen in the future, I'd be traveling the world rather than working 12 hour days.

I think I have been fairly clear over the years in communicating that I am an O-line fan (right Bobby??). I sat in front of the TV in April of 2012 and was sure we would draft David DeCastro, Reily Rief (sp??) or frickin' somebody to plug into our o-line. I literally almost cried when I heard the name Bruce Irvin...WHO???????????? WHAT????. All this blibbing around about my love of o-linemen to say I HEAR everyone's concerns about our line. I am not disputing that the unit has not been made apriority and they are not the strongest part of out team...not by a mile. I am also trying to reasonably point out that John and Pete ain't stupid. They built who they built and they so happened to build a team from scratch that has been on a franchise best three + year run. If the Hawks stumble, I think they will fix it. Until proven otherwise, I'm just going to believe that the team is going to continue to grow, improve, build, compete, scratch, claw, fight and continue to be in the playoff race for years to come. Until we ain't, we are.

When Beast Mode hangs up his cleats, that'll be a tough day for any football loving fan, let alone for Hawk fans. I don't think I have personally loved watching an RB like I love watching him on Sundays. BUT..playing the "what if" henny penny game gets me nothing but gray hair and a headache. At the end of the day, it will be what it is. All I am saying is one cannot argue their past success (though many people sure tried to point out how they were gonna fail from the beginning). I further offer that the best indication of what is to come is to look at the data and the information we have to go on (sometimes referred to as the past). I have not seen or heard anything from John or Pete that leads me to believe they plan on accepting mediocrity anytime soon. Maybe all you nay-sayers can learn a little something about there is more than one way to do something than to get so wrapped up in how badly they are botching this o-line deal.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:45 pm

We saw on Sunday the effects of a bad OL. If the Defense plays even a little badly next week, we will be in a track meet.
Without a solid OL, we won't ever be able to compete in that type of game.
We've known it's been a weak spot for a few years, but they've made it worse to this point instead of improving on that area of weakness.
An Offense's success or failure is determined by controlling the Line of Scrimmage, yet they are to date accepting of mediocrity in this area.
If the Defense has a bad game or year (for us and our standards), we don't have much chance to win as an Offense that can't control the LoS won't be able to put up the necessary points. They might be able to rack up yardage between the Red Zones, but regularly settling for field goals instead of getting TDs rarely win games.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:49 pm

I dunno.

It's just really tiresome at this point.

I love what Pete, his staff, and our F.O. have done overall, obviously. But the OL personnel they've drafted for the scheme they're running haven't earned the benefit of the doubt for the past couple of season's now.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:15 am

But the OL personnel they've drafted for the scheme they're running haven't earned the benefit of the doubt for the past couple of season's now.

:roll: Yeah, the past two seasons have been nightmares for this organization, haven't they?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:52 am

Offensively along the line they haven't been worthy of a championship team, and they've done nothing to improve it.
Thankfully the Defense sets the table for wins and the Offense tags along for the ride.

But I'm getting over last weeks performance, so let's see how this weeks game unfolds.
Just maybe we will see enough progress up front to have some hope.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:32 pm

Offensively along the line they haven't been worthy of a championship team.

If they're capable of doing enough to win a championship as part of the team, they're worthy. By definition.

And they were.

You don't have to overstate it. This group didn't look good in their first regular season game. However, they've only played together for a few weeks and continuity counts to a high degree.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:37 pm

A few weeks together and facing arguably the most talented defensive line in the NFL. Not calling you out, burrton; just noting that little bit puts it even more in perspective. They'd have to be number 1 on the list of defensive lines we'd rather not have faced right out of the gate.

The FO office appears to believe they can get o-line talent later in the draft, but can't get the difference makers at the skill positions later. Were there Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett equivalents in the 4th or later?

No way the FO is so out of touch that they aren't aware of the level of talent they bring in on the oline. It's a conscious decision to utilize that level of talent to enable them to draft what they believe will win more games. So far, it has worked pretty well, but I'll concede the growing pains have been very frustrating. I'll also concede that a QB like Wilson is a huge difference maker for this approach.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:34 pm

Good lord, wait until at least game fricken two before rambling on about how horrid any one player or group is performing. This is downright moronic. " We want different lineman!" "They are garbage after ONE game, against the best front 7 in the game" LMFAO. Get a grip people, its a long season.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:52 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:A few weeks together and facing arguably the most talented defensive line in the NFL. Not calling you out, burrton; just noting that little bit puts it even more in perspective. They'd have to be number 1 on the list of defensive lines we'd rather not have faced right out of the gate.

The FO office appears to believe they can get o-line talent later in the draft, but can't get the difference makers at the skill positions later. Were there Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett equivalents in the 4th or later?

No way the FO is so out of touch that they aren't aware of the level of talent they bring in on the oline. It's a conscious decision to utilize that level of talent to enable them to draft what they believe will win more games. So far, it has worked pretty well, but I'll concede the growing pains have been very frustrating. I'll also concede that a QB like Wilson is a huge difference maker for this approach.

BINGO!

HumanCockroach - "Good lord, wait until at least game fricken two before rambling on about how horrid any one player or group is performing. This is downright moronic. " We want different lineman!" "They are garbage after ONE game, against the best front 7 in the game" LMFAO. Get a grip people, its a long season"

BINGO!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:44 pm

And the OL deserves the Least amount of credit for that success, burrrton.

This team has succeeded in spite of them, not because.

And I know it's one game for 2015. Let's hope that they can achieve the "under" for 44 sacks, which is about avg for what they've given up over the last 2 seasons.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:31 am

I've documented this in at least one other thread so I unless challenged, I won't duplicate it here.

But my summary is that by at least three significant, objective measures (I could probably find more but what's the use?), points scored, rushing yardage gained, and yard per attempt, this OL out produced other offensive lines of ours versus the same team in the same venue in the previous two seasons. I am not by any means indicating that Sunday represented a satisfactory effort, rather I wanted to highlight just how daunting their task was when you compare their results with that of our previous two units against this team.

In addition to these undeniable facts, there are other facts that should be taken into consideration when appraising their performance in that this unit had a center starting his first NFL game at that position, perhaps the most difficult position on the OL to master, two second year players making their first NFL starts at new positions, and without a good blocking tight end to line up with them (Graham, Willson).

I don't like the fact that we've de-emphasized the OL and assigned it a low priority, perhaps the lowest priority of any position groups on the team. But you can't argue with success...overall success, such as the best W/L record in the league over the past 3 seasons, which includes two SB appearances and one Lombardi.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:30 am

Zorn76 wrote:And the OL deserves the Least amount of credit for that success, burrrton.

This team has succeeded in spite of them, not because.

And I know it's one game for 2015. Let's hope that they can achieve the "under" for 44 sacks, which is about avg for what they've given up over the last 2 seasons.

They are on a pace for 96 sacks currently. Its gotta get better.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:41 am

Hawktawk wrote:They are on a pace for 96 sacks currently. Its gotta get better.

First of all, let's make sure that we get a good definition of who "they" are. It's more than the offensive line, it's the running backs that miss assignments, the tight ends that can't block, the wide receivers that can't get separation, the quarterback that holds onto the ball too long or doesn't audible out of a blitz, and the OC that makes a bad play call or creates an inadequate game plan. It's considered a team stat for a reason.

Secondly, it will get better. We've always had trouble with sacks against the Rams, especially in their house.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:09 am

Our OL has to get better or our window has closed.
I said last year (and was shouted down), and still believe that the Offense can't carry the team.
A couple of years ago it could in spurts, if last game is any indication, it will have trouble doing that this year.

Here's what one opponent thinks of our OL
Michael Brockers comment in PFT:

“[W]e pick up on tendencies, and when you see Marshawn probably a yard or two behind Russell and you just know that zone read scheme that they do is coming,” Brockers said. “I knocked the tackle back in the backfield so he didn’t have anywhere to go and wrapped [Lynch’s] legs up so he couldn’t keep those things going, because if you don’t he can get that yard. So we just did a great job. We did our job on that play and I think it all came out at the end.”

The penetration from Brockers forced Lynch to actually stop. By the time he got started again, Donald was on top of Lynch. And getting he job done was easier because the Seattle offensive line isn’t what it used to be.

“It’s very makeshift,” Brockers said. “You have a lot of guys who aren’t playing positions they they started when they came into the league. Like you have [J.R.] Sweezy who also was a really good guard in this league and he used to be a defensive tackle. [Justin] Britt who played tackle last year has now moved to guard, so you got a lot of people who aren’t playing a position that they started with or playing a new position and when you got things like that, you know, you got great defensive linemen I feel like we have, you have to take advantage of that. And we came out got six sacks and we got a lot of pressure on Wilson.”

So it seems our opposition think we have a makeshift OL. He's right. It's easier to play against players who are playing out of position or learning new one, and he didn't mention Gilliam who was a TE and is now learning to play RT.
Combine that with predictable play calling and you end up with an Offense going nowhere.

In his comments he also said they concentrated on making our Offense one dimensional by stopping the run.
They largely did that and in doing so got 6 sacks of an extremely mobile QB.

Let's hope they have improved enough to get rolling against the Packers. If they don't start playing better we'll end up with a top 10 draft pick in 2016.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... was-a-run/
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:01 am

Hawk Sista wrote:One day - maybe it'll be 15 years from now - you guys are going to yearn for these days. We've been one of the best teams in football for three years. Do you really think Pete and john are unaware?? We have x amount of $$ in the salary cap. That $$ is spent largely on 10-12 dudes, most of whom are on defense (RW and Beast excepted). This is all part of how these guys build. Sure, they'd rather have Dallas' online but then they wouldn't have who we have. And looky who has made it to the super bowl, after going deep in the playoffs for these same three years you've been whining about.

Watching the game Sunday was one of the most frustrating games I've ever watched (even when I thought they found a way to pull it out). So rest assured if the offensive line play continues like this for the rest of the season I will NOT be yearning for these days.

I will yearn for the days of 2012/2013. Watching a team you know doesn't have the talent to compete is only slightly more frustrating than watching the team with the most collective talent in the league being undone by the deficiencies of a single position group. Especially when they had plenty of opportunities to address the deficient position group but instead pinned all their hopes on late round picks, undrafted free agents and conversion projects.

The only upside to the way this team played is I can now sympathize with my friends who are Bengals fans watching their talented team being wasted on Andy Dalton.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:08 am

Zorn76 wrote:And the OL deserves the Least amount of credit for that success, burrrton.

Debatable, but no big disagreement- that's different than saying they "weren't worthy" of the championship, though. They did what they had to do and we ended up the best running O in the league, a top-10 scoring O, and were pretty widely considered the best team overall in the NFL two years running.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:32 am

What I said was they are not worthy of a championship team.
That means today.
They were on the upswing in 2012 and 2013, but after that were dismantled (or let slide, or whatever you want to call it) to what we have today.
An Offensive line that isn't worthy of a championship team.
We have some of the best players in the league at every position group except the most important group on Offense.
In time, they may be pretty good, but we don't have the time to waste a year or more while they develop.

Again, I hope this week is a turning point and we can say they're coming along very well and it looks promising, but pre-season and the first game don't suggest that will happen that quickly.
After Chicago, we have the Lions, Bengals, and Panthers who also have very good Defensive lines or front 7. It isn't difficult to see us at 1-5 or 2-4 against those Defenses IF the OL doesn't get up to speed soon.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:37 pm

Watching the game Sunday was one of the most frustrating games I've ever watched (even when I thought they found a way to pull it out). So rest assured if the offensive line play continues like this for the rest of the season I will NOT be yearning for these days.

I will yearn for the days of 2012/2013. Watching a team you know doesn't have the talent to compete is only slightly more frustrating than watching the team with the most collective talent in the league being undone by the deficiencies of a single position group. Especially when they had plenty of opportunities to address the deficient position group but instead pinned all their hopes on late round picks, undrafted free agents and conversion projects.

The only upside to the way this team played is I can now sympathize with my friends who are Bengals fans watching their talented team being wasted on Andy Dalton.

We are just never going to see eye to eye and I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall trying to explain myself. Perhaps if we were sitting in a pub somewhere talking about it we might realize that we are saying similar things. NOBODY who watched Sunday's game liked what they saw from the O-line. It was one of several problems that we faced, the others have been fairly captured in numerous posts and threads. That this line is young, and freshly united together is not something to overlook. Nor should we overlook some key things that have stacked up differently for us this season. In any of the past three years, 31 points (and I don't give a crap how they were scored) would have been enough for us to win any game, including an away game against the Rams. Miscues on D, horrendous tackling, Bobby and KJ getting toasted all day, Earl not quite being Earl, Richard playing a new role, Kam being gone, and the whole laundry list of things that happened or didn't happen both offensively and defensively.

We all knew it would be a rough start - if we were being honest. There is no doubt that these next two years will be the test for whether or not what was built can be sustained. We now have to pay our Million dollar QB 22 Million/year. For those of you counting, that's 21 million dollars we cannot spend on the line. We all wanted Bobby, KJ, Earl, Richard, Bennett, Beast etc. signed to the deals they got. This is the price of success. We are now all in the mind-set of it's Super Bowl 50 champs or we are losers and I get that. You cannot, in this era of parity and salary cap, be dominate in all phases of the game. PERIOD!

Now - I am choosing to look at the bright side and say Bobby and KJ are not going to miss tackles like that all season. Dion Bailey will get better. The o-line (who doesn't have to face the most dominant D-line week in and week out) will get better... With all of the woes we saw in week 1, we were in OT in a place we lost last year and have historically lost. The problem areas are going to improve, IMHO.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:04 pm

Sis,

You know what else we shouldn't overlook? The fact that an undrafted free agent that couldn't make the Jaguars came in and beat out our projected starter after two thirds of training camp had already passed.

Regardless of what those 12 big time players make, there was ample opportunity to address the O-Line with better talent. It's not like this issue just came up, we've been talking about it since the 2014 draft (to be generous).

If the rumors of Cable's greatness are to be believed, just imagine what this line would be like without him. It's a talent issue, not a salary cap issue. We don't need a dominant O-Line. We just need a passable line that doesn't give up 9 hurries and 3 sacks in the first half.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:32 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Our OL has to get better or our window has closed.
I said last year (and was shouted down), and still believe that the Offense can't carry the team.
A couple of years ago it could in spurts, if last game is any indication, it will have trouble doing that this year.

Here's what one opponent thinks of our OL
Michael Brockers comment in PFT:

“[W]e pick up on tendencies, and when you see Marshawn probably a yard or two behind Russell and you just know that zone read scheme that they do is coming,” Brockers said. “I knocked the tackle back in the backfield so he didn’t have anywhere to go and wrapped [Lynch’s] legs up so he couldn’t keep those things going, because if you don’t he can get that yard. So we just did a great job. We did our job on that play and I think it all came out at the end.”

The penetration from Brockers forced Lynch to actually stop. By the time he got started again, Donald was on top of Lynch. And getting he job done was easier because the Seattle offensive line isn’t what it used to be.

“It’s very makeshift,” Brockers said. “You have a lot of guys who aren’t playing positions they they started when they came into the league. Like you have [J.R.] Sweezy who also was a really good guard in this league and he used to be a defensive tackle. [Justin] Britt who played tackle last year has now moved to guard, so you got a lot of people who aren’t playing a position that they started with or playing a new position and when you got things like that, you know, you got great defensive linemen I feel like we have, you have to take advantage of that. And we came out got six sacks and we got a lot of pressure on Wilson.”

So it seems our opposition think we have a makeshift OL. He's right. It's easier to play against players who are playing out of position or learning new one, and he didn't mention Gilliam who was a TE and is now learning to play RT.
Combine that with predictable play calling and you end up with an Offense going nowhere.

In his comments he also said they concentrated on making our Offense one dimensional by stopping the run.
They largely did that and in doing so got 6 sacks of an extremely mobile QB.

Let's hope they have improved enough to get rolling against the Packers. If they don't start playing better we'll end up with a top 10 draft pick in 2016.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... was-a-run/

Sorry but " tendencies" do NOT fall on the line, that is shared by the coordinator and QB, sometimes even a back, but line? Nope.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:36 pm

What I said was they are not worthy of a championship team.
That means today.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, then- it sounded like you were saying the o-line hasn't been worth for the last few years.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:39 am

Kal.... I ain't overlooking it. I just admitted to crying when we didn't go oline in the 2012 draft and our line was even better then than now. It frustrates me too. I want it to be better too.

And, at the very same time, I give credit to the guys who have built this team... Until we fall out of the top 1/4 of teams in the NFL, I will be happy. Admittedly, that "could" happen this year. If it does, we need to take stock and see where we are. Until then, I'm gonna choose to appreciate the fact that the Hawks are relevant and in the conversation about the best teams in the league.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:56 am

Until we fall out of the top 1/4 of teams in the NFL, I will be happy

5 year rule! No calling for heads for 5 years after bringing home a Lombardi!

Even if we suck for the next 3 years I'm happy trusting the guys that built that 2013 dynamo. Winning a SB affords a staff a 5 year grace period during which they have the right to do what they see fit if things go south a little. I waited a lot more than 5 years for that Super Bowl win.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:41 pm

Agree with both sista and bob here. I'm not thrilled about the o line approach, but I'm willing to bet they'll get better every week. Last week's game was a crucible if there ever was one; they'll learn from it.

This team is going to be able to compete with anyone the league, even this year with this offensive line, and they've got the horses to make it at least to the playoffs. I'm looking forward to watching this team as I'm sure everyone on this board is.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:53 pm

5 year rule! No calling for heads for 5 years after bringing home a Lombardi!

Even if we suck for the next 3 years I'm happy trusting the guys that built that 2013 dynamo. Winning a SB affords a staff a 5 year grace period during which they have the right to do what they see fit if things go south a little. I waited a lot more than 5 years for that Super Bowl win.

Stop it right now, Bob!!! Quit being reasonable.... We need someone to blame now!!!! We need to put em in the stockade and throw maters at their noggin. Just think what it'll be like in here if we go 0 & 2?? It'll be a disaster. :roll: :o :lol:
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:54 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:Agree with both sista and bob here. I'm not thrilled about the o line approach, but I'm willing to bet they'll get better every week. Last week's game was a crucible if there ever was one; they'll learn from it.

This team is going to be able to compete with anyone the league, even this year with this offensive line, and they've got the horses to make it at least to the playoffs. I'm looking forward to watching this team as I'm sure everyone on this board is.

Well said, my Man. And for the record, Mack Is one of my heroes too. Now he lived #STRONG!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum