Offensive Line - Worst in the NFL?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Offensive Line - Worst in the NFL?

Postby Zorn76 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:21 pm

I'm rooting as much as anybody for the OL to gel, and after facing pretty much the best DL last week, they should have a better time of it Sunday night.

Meanwhile, I think RW - especially on the road- is gonna have to tuck it and run, probably more than he wants to. We have to keep the chains moving as much as possible. Do not hold onto to it unnecessarily long, looking for the homerun. Take what the defense gives you.

Beast is gonna need a big game and a good start early to help keep Pack D honest.

Dink and dunk to establish a rhythm, then take shots further down when possible.

This game is tough, but very winnable. This is not an automatic loss by any means, no matter how frustrating week 1 was.

Go Seahawks!!!
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:09 pm

I totally agree. I think we need to pound the rock and keep the ball out of the hands of the best QB in the league. I said in another three that the Bears gave the Pack a fight by running the ball effectively. If we have a chance, it'll be ball control.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:49 pm

Not gonna happen HS. BUT, if they do win, its sunshine and roses. Kam may even come back.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:03 am

c_hawkbob wrote:5 year rule! No calling for heads for 5 years after bringing home a Lombardi!

Even if we suck for the next 3 years I'm happy trusting the guys that built that 2013 dynamo. Winning a SB affords a staff a 5 year grace period during which they have the right to do what they see fit if things go south a little. I waited a lot more than 5 years for that Super Bowl win.

Agreed, and you have my pledge on that. 5 years is just about right. Hopefully it's a moot point.

The Giants are just about there with Coughlin, especially after that debacle in Dallas last week.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:00 am

I prefer to "Win Forever".
The last 2 years are gone, they're history.
We have a window where we can win a few more if only the Offense can step up.
And it all starts with the Offensive Line play.
If it doesn't, we will be looking back with regret and talking about what could have been instead of what was.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:28 am

What about Pete and John make you believe that we have a window? What about what they say, what they have produced (ultimately - not an early season problem) and how the behave make you think they will settle for mediocrity? We may have a less successful year, but I believe they'll restock the shelves and we will continue to be a top-flight team.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:50 am

Hawk Sista wrote:What about Pete and John make you believe that we have a window?

That they coach/manage in the NFL.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:10 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I prefer to "Win Forever".
The last 2 years are gone, they're history.
We have a window where we can win a few more if only the Offense can step up.
And it all starts with the Offensive Line play.
If it doesn't, we will be looking back with regret and talking about what could have been instead of what was.

What makes you believe that you know how to do that better than they? Is it the titles you have won? the teams you have built? The long term success in evaluating talent at the NFL level or assembling said talent? Not sure how any of us can ultimately criticize the success, or ability of these guys based solely on what we want done. The premise is absolutely ridiculous. Do you really think they "lucked" into back to back SBs or what? YOU wanted different line players, and now after a SINGLE game, you are ready to write of them, and the team? WTF? Get a grip, a clue or whatever you need. ( by the way, that starting five played zero games together in PRE Season, and significantly improved from one half to the next, NO line routinely gives 5 seconds to the QB to throw the ball, no matter who they play. So WHAT if Wilson has to actually get the ball out to the open receivers underneath until the line gels, he is capable of doing that right?)

By the way folks, Seattle NOT GB will be starting more "high round" picks on the O line this Sunday, and has MORE of them even WITH Bulaga playing. No one that I know of, moans about that line weekly, yet GB built that line EXACTLY how Seattle is building theirs. I know shocking isn't it? One of the best lines in the league, being copied by Seattle. Especially with a GM from there. Crazy right?
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:01 pm

Thought I'd bump this up to remind those of you who are claiming to have supported our Oline from the get go how full of crap you are.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:17 pm

It's amazing how well the Offense does when the OL plays better, but then again, the OL is the engine of the Offense.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:18 pm

What's with all the bumping of old threads to try to make people eat crow?

I guess it's fine if someone said the o-line would never come around and you want to make someone eat their prediction, but if, as I think most of us were, it was just being stated how shtty they were playing, their current play (good) doesn't contradict that.

They *were* playing bad. They're now playing very well. Thank heavens for that.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:31 pm

You're right Burton. Just about all of the posts were banging on the line play, but there was definitely hope for a better future. Sorry.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:24 pm

What's with caring what old threads come back around? If you said it, you said it. I think this thread speaks to how quickly people turned on Pete and John. We hadn't even lost 4 games yet and folks were throwing in the towel. ;)
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:21 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:What's with caring what old threads come back around? If you said it, you said it.

That was kinda my point- I don't think anyone said what was being implied by bumping the thread and expecting apologies.

I get that people start dumping on some too quickly, but in the case of the o-line, they *were* playing historically shtty- it wasn't some Okung-hater jumping to conclusions and bagging on them undeservedly.

Either way, it's not a big deal, and I don't mind the bumps- I just couldn't figure out what it was that was being expected. Or something. I don't know.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:22 pm

Vegaseahawk wrote:You're right Burton. Just about all of the posts were banging on the line play, but there was definitely hope for a better future. Sorry.

No big, Vegas- I didn't mean it as indignant as it apparently came across.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:53 pm

Vegaseahawk wrote:Thought I'd bump this up to remind those of you who are claiming to have supported our Oline from the get go how full of crap you are.

The offensive line was horrible, and was one of the worst in the league. The fact that we've made some very significant changes, one in getting rid of Nowack and inserting Lewis, and another when we started calling more quick, short passses, doesn't mean what we were complaining about earlier was false. I see no reason why anyone should eat crow.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:51 pm

I completely disagree. First of all few of us pointed out it would take TIME, something many refused to acknowledge ( and well Damn if it didn't take that) AND that the way to HELP the line was quicker reads, routes and throws... Both things have spurred this offensive explosion. Many lamented ( and even to some extent STILL are) that those things didn't matter, that the Seahawks were incapable of finding line talent, and that THAT failure was the reason, and the sole reason for those failures.

If you all want to "walk back" what you said ( similar to what was done with the belly aching that was done both with Giacomini and Carpenter) than fine. I could care less, but the thread that I bumped was indeed a thread that was made specifically FOR me, to make ME eat crow, I have NO qualms bumping it when I was RIGHT about the situation, regardless of how the " line sucks" crew feels, no matter how many of you there are.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:48 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:I completely disagree. First of all few of us pointed out it would take TIME, something many refused to acknowledge ( and well Damn if it didn't take that) AND that the way to HELP the line was quicker reads, routes and throws... Both things have spurred this offensive explosion. Many lamented ( and even to some extent STILL are) that those things didn't matter, that the Seahawks were incapable of finding line talent, and that THAT failure was the reason, and the sole reason for those failures.

If you all want to "walk back" what you said ( similar to what was done with the belly aching that was done both with Giacomini and Carpenter) than fine. I could care less, but the thread that I bumped was indeed a thread that was made specifically FOR me, to make ME eat crow, I have NO qualms bumping it when I was RIGHT about the situation, regardless of how the " line sucks" crew feels, no matter how many of you there are.

I'm not sure who you're replying to, but for the sake of argument, I'll assume it was me.

If you want to argue that I was wrong in thinking that we would not be able to turn it around as quickly as we did, then fine, you have a point....although I'm not quite ready to concede that all our problems are in our rear view mirror. But that's not how I took the "eat crow" request. I took it that I was supposed to admit that I was wrong when I agreed with the thread title, ie that our OL was one of if not the worst in the NFL, and I don't see why I should go back on that statement.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:55 am

No RD it wasn't directly pointed at you, honestly it had more to do with Burtons assertion that these old threads shouldn't have been "bumped" I didn't bump this thread, but I did bump the other thread, as it was specifically directed at me, and my opinions about what it would take for the line to improve ( specifically time to gel and quicker reads, routes and throws by Bevell and Wilson, which is exactly what happened.). I was called out, lambasted for my opinions, and did not waiver on how it would improve, and improve its exactly what it did, and in the specific ways I said it needed to do so.

All of them held their share of that blame pie ( OC, line and Wilson) and because I was not willing to lay it all at the feet of the line, I spent the majority of my time on this board for 6 to 8 weeks listening to how clueless I was. So, I have zero issues "serving up that crow pie" for those that spent that time telling me how wrong I was.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:58 am

HumanCockroach wrote:No RD it wasn't directly pointed at you, honestly it had more to do with Burtons assertion that these old threads shouldn't have been "bumped" I didn't bump this thread, but I did bump the other thread, as it was specifically directed at me, and my opinions about what it would take for the line to improve ( specifically time to gel and quicker reads, routes and throws by Bevell and Wilson, which is exactly what happened.). I was called out, lambasted for my opinions, and did not waiver on how it would improve, and improve its exactly what it did, and in the specific ways I said it needed to do so.

All of them held their share of that blame pie ( OC, line and Wilson) and because I was not willing to lay it all at the feet of the line, I spent the majority of my time on this board for 6 to 8 weeks listening to how clueless I was. So, I have zero issues "serving up that crow pie" for those that spent that time telling me how wrong I was.

Well, you certainly were not alone in your blaming multiple parties for our offensive woes. I can recall numerous arguments, particularly with Anthony, on the subject of Russell's culpability for that horrendous mess of the first part of the season.

Which speaking of Anthony, he didn't give up posting, he just gave it up here. He's still active over at .net, and about 90% of the posters there characterize him about the same as 100% of the posters here did, so I guess he's a little more comfortable there as he does have some compadres there compared to our little community.
RiverDog
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum