Niner beating Up Fans - Tradition Continues

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Niner beating Up Fans - Tradition Continues

Postby Uppercut » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:36 am

Uppercut
Legacy

Re: Niner beating Up Fans - Tradition Continues

Postby burrrton » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:37 am

Still too close to Oakland, apparently.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:32 am

Apparently so is Arizona, and anywhere else they are unfortunately. Oh well, at least half the time they are attacking their own.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:56 am

It's a sad state of affairs. Jed York builds stadiums but cannot keep the fans safe. Failure by our fans and ownership alike. Flat out embarrassing and more to the point, scary. I don't even really feel safe at Levi's.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:45 am

I would think there was some alcohol involved, but you don't go to someones house and start trouble. According to the video he challenged people and his offer was taken up.
Nobody deserves a beating, but you have to be aware of your situation and today it's common for a group to set upon a single person unlike it used to be when it was one on one.
It probably would have been worse if the Vikings had won and he taunted them, too but I think it has a good chance to happen in every stadium every game.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:00 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I would think there was some alcohol involved, but you don't go to someones house and start trouble. According to the video he challenged people and his offer was taken up.
Nobody deserves a beating, but you have to be aware of your situation and today it's common for a group to set upon a single person unlike it used to be when it was one on one.
It probably would have been worse if the Vikings had won and he taunted them, too but I think it has a good chance to happen in every stadium every game.

We still have more incidents than most cities. An undisclosed NFL security person recently stated that our stadium has the most issues. People that are not from here tend to view the bay as a group of liberals, elitists or "gays". They do not understand that this a huge metro and there are low income pockets all around the bay which are filled with dangerous people. You get people that are already angry with their lives, mske them pay $200 for a ticket and get them liquored up and this is what happens. They view that $200 as the price they pay to act however they want to.

In the last game I went to, I was surrounded by a group of thugish acting black guys who were clearly from the east bay. They were screaming obscenities the entire game - literally. Now it didn't bother me much, but if I had brought a kid I could see it escalating very quickly. A couple games before that I did actually see some asshole instigating a fight to the point that a little girl burst into tears and her father had to leave the stadium with her to calm her down. I am a fan of my team and most of our fans are good people, but there is little doubt in my mind that our percentage of unruly fans is higher than most other fanbases.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:24 pm

I've never been to a 49'ers game, but I've heard a lot of negative things when they played at the 'Stick. I think it was Zorny, who lives in the bay area, said that things should get better when they moved to the South Bay, but it doesn't sound like it has. I've been wanting to do a road trip to Santa Clara, but incidents like this one might keep me away. I want to wear my team colors but I don't want to end up in the hospital, either.

Oh, and thanks for your comments, Futureite. When I saw that you had commented on this subject, I assumed that you were going to defend the incident by saying that the same thing goes on everywhere else, same thing goes on in Seattle, etc. It was nice to see that you were honest and gave us your opinion without getting defensive.

And before anyone goes away thinking that this is limited to the bay area, I've seen some very embarrassing behavior go on in Seattle, too. One of the icons of going to Seahawks and Mariners games was walking past Tuba Man, or Cheeks as I called him. He was beaten and killed in a robbery by a couple of local thugs. A homeless guy that wasn't pan handling, just playing for donations.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:23 pm

RiverDog wrote:I've never been to a 49'ers game, but I've heard a lot of negative things when they played at the 'Stick. I think it was Zorny, who lives in the bay area, said that things should get better when they moved to the South Bay, but it doesn't sound like it has. I've been wanting to do a road trip to Santa Clara, but incidents like this one might keep me away. I want to wear my team colors but I don't want to end up in the hospital, either.

Oh, and thanks for your comments, Futureite. When I saw that you had commented on this subject, I assumed that you were going to defend the incident by saying that the same thing goes on everywhere else, same thing goes on in Seattle, etc. It was nice to see that you were honest and gave us your opinion without getting defensive.

And before anyone goes away thinking that this is limited to the bay area, I've seen some very embarrassing behavior go on in Seattle, too. One of the icons of going to Seahawks and Mariners games was walking past Tuba Man, or Cheeks as I called him. He was beaten and killed in a robbery by a couple of local thugs. A homeless guy that wasn't pan handling, just playing for donations.

Thsnks River. I always try to be as objective as I can. I realize my fandom prevents it sometimes.

Levis is better. The "alleys" are very wide, so no one will bump into you. That alone eliminates a lot of issues. There's more security and plenty of signs with numbers to text security. Overall it is better than the Stick, by far.

But, due to the demograpgics of our area you will see these complete jackasses still walking around. I dislike them as much as you do, trust me. But they are there. As long as we continue to see a polarization between income classes, the problem is going to be there.

As far as you going to a game at Levis, if you pick a decent priced seat I think you'd be fine. Most if our fans are not like this, so you'd prob be fine anyway. You are not a 20 something trash talking guy, so the likelihood of any problem is pretty low. If you come to the Hawk game down here and I attend, we should meet up for sure. You'll be welcomed by our fans with your jersey once they see you standing next to me in my red Niners shirt.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:54 pm

Their mutts, we need the scoops from the movie Solvent Green. The scoops are coming, the scoops are coming!!
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:08 am

obiken wrote:Their mutts, we need the scoops from the movie Solvent Green. The scoops are coming, the scoops are coming!!

Soylent Green
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:22 am

Sorry you're right
obiken
Legacy

Postby SalmonBB » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:04 pm

I went to a Seahawks Niners game at Candlestick back in 2007. Whenever I go on the road, I always go fairly low-key. Most of the folks were nice, but my friend and I ended up sitting behind the biggest jackwad. His girlfriend was always getting up to get him more beer, and he must have slugged about 8 an hour. All I was doing was wearing my Seahawk shirt, and clapping when my team made a good play. Finally, he had enough of "that," and started getting belligerant. It actually ended up being a great time, because the guy was such an imbecile that my friend - a Chiefs fan who happens to be one of the most smart guys I know - started to toy with him and it became absolutely hilarious. Eventually, the guy asked if we wanted to fight, to which both my friend and I replied simultaneously, "No!" as we looked at him like we were parents scolding a child. I guess one would have to be there to enjoy how funny that moment was, but my friend and I bring it up to this day whenever we correspond. He just couldn't win that day, but he had a lot of beer. When he left, the other people around us were saying they were sorry we had to deal with him.

This stuff can go on anywhere, but it's interesting to read about it here ... because it matches my own experience to some extent.

I get mad when fans in our own stadium get rude with opposing fans. I believe there's a difference between being loud and being obscene. I believe people should be able to take their kids to a game.

But I will say I don't have much sympathy for folks who go on the road and are jerks, talking trash in an obnoxious fashion to the home crowd. Yep, they're asking for it - plain and simple. Not saying I condone the beat downs, but simply that I've observed in life that if you WANT to be an idiot, then you'll usually be rewarded as an idiot.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
SalmonBB
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:28 pm

SalmonBB wrote:I went to a Seahawks Niners game at Candlestick back in 2007. Whenever I go on the road, I always go fairly low-key. Most of the folks were nice, but my friend and I ended up sitting behind the biggest jackwad. His girlfriend was always getting up to get him more beer, and he must have slugged about 8 an hour. All I was doing was wearing my Seahawk shirt, and clapping when my team made a good play. Finally, he had enough of "that," and started getting belligerant. It actually ended up being a great time, because the guy was such an imbecile that my friend - a Chiefs fan who happens to be one of the most smart guys I know - started to toy with him and it became absolutely hilarious. Eventually, the guy asked if we wanted to fight, to which both my friend and I replied simultaneously, "No!" as we looked at him like we were parents scolding a child. I guess one would have to be there to enjoy how funny that moment was, but my friend and I bring it up to this day whenever we correspond. He just couldn't win that day, but he had a lot of beer. When he left, the other people around us were saying they were sorry we had to deal with him.

This stuff can go on anywhere, but it's interesting to read about it here ... because it matches my own experience to some extent.

I get mad when fans in our own stadium get rude with opposing fans. I believe there's a difference between being loud and being obscene. I believe people should be able to take their kids to a game.

But I will say I don't have much sympathy for folks who go on the road and are jerks, talking trash in an obnoxious fashion to the home crowd. Yep, they're asking for it - plain and simple. Not saying I condone the beat downs, but simply that I've observed in life that if you WANT to be an idiot, then you'll usually be rewarded as an idiot.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!

I have plenty of stories. In 2009 after Titans game a Jackass kept intentionally stepping on the back of my friend's shoes, and when he did it to me I turned around and said "Don't start that same s*** with me". Probably not the most intelligent respobse and it easily could have escalated, but I could not help it. He backed off. Yes, he and his group were typical "gangsta" scum.

2011 game V Bucks, another typical jackass samoan long hair/ponytail "gangsta" shows up at halftime, piss drunk. Of course he sits right next to me. He immediately directs a barage of cuss laden insults at a kid sitting right in front of us wearing a Bucs shirt. The kid couldn't have been more than 135 lbs, and thus guy was probably 240. I still remember his exact words: "Don't f*** with me, I'm a San Francisco gangsta!" The kid had said and done nothing. I was watching closely ready to defend the kid if necessary.

Unfortunately, these stories and the ones I shared earlier are not unique - obviously. The vast majority of our fans are great, but the problem is that our percentage of complete jackasses appears to be higher than most fanbases. From my experience at Clink, our jackass % dwarfs that of the Seahawks fanbase.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:18 am

I've been to two other NFL stadiums besides the two in Seattle, in Arizona twice and at Houston once. I have another trip planned here in a couple of weeks to Cincinnati and later in the year, we're going to the Arizona game again.

The people in Houston were great. Although they lost a really tough game (that was the one where Richard Sherman lost his shoe on a pick 6), they were gracious in defeat and were very courteous the entire time and everywhere we went. One memory that sticks with me is that after the post game tailgate party, myself and two friends were leaving through the parking lot when my two buddies decided they needed to visit the porta potty. Not having to go, I felt awkward standing alone in the parking lot very near a tailgate party of Texan fans, all black, just wrapping up their activities. So I thought 'what the hell', and strolled over and struck up a conversation. They were great, called a couple of their friends over to meet me, treated me like a long lost brother.

Arizona was different but no less cordial. The fans in the Phoenix area are as passive as any in the league. The team is a transplant and never really developed a core group of followers. A friend of mine once told me that everyone is from somewhere else, and bring their original loyalties with them. Additionally, last year we estimated that about 40% of the crowd were Seahawk fans, and of course, 12's make more noise, so it had more of a feel of a home game than a road game. Every restaurant and bar we went to was dominated by Seahawk fans.

I'm anxiously awaiting our trip to Ohio. We're going to take in the Ohio State-Maryland game up the road in Columbus the day before the Hawks play the Bengals. If I have enough time, I'm going to make a trip to Canton, OH, and visit the HOF. Santa Clara is on the short list. Maybe next season.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:51 pm

RiverDog wrote:I've been to two other NFL stadiums besides the two in Seattle, in Arizona twice and at Houston once. I have another trip planned here in a couple of weeks to Cincinnati and later in the year, we're going to the Arizona game again.

The people in Houston were great. Although they lost a really tough game (that was the one where Richard Sherman lost his shoe on a pick 6), they were gracious in defeat and were very courteous the entire time and everywhere we went. One memory that sticks with me is that after the post game tailgate party, myself and two friends were leaving through the parking lot when my two buddies decided they needed to visit the porta potty. Not having to go, I felt awkward standing alone in the parking lot very near a tailgate party of Texan fans, all black, just wrapping up their activities. So I thought 'what the hell', and strolled over and struck up a conversation. They were great, called a couple of their friends over to meet me, treated me like a long lost brother.

Arizona was different but no less cordial. The fans in the Phoenix area are as passive as any in the league. The team is a transplant and never really developed a core group of followers. A friend of mine once told me that everyone is from somewhere else, and bring their original loyalties with them. Additionally, last year we estimated that about 40% of the crowd were Seahawk fans, and of course, 12's make more noise, so it had more of a feel of a home game than a road game. Every restaurant and bar we went to was dominated by Seahawk fans.

I'm anxiously awaiting our trip to Ohio. We're going to take in the Ohio State-Maryland game up the road in Columbus the day before the Hawks play the Bengals. If I have enough time, I'm going to make a trip to Canton, OH, and visit the HOF. Santa Clara is on the short list. Maybe next season.

I think fanbases by and large mimic the local culture. At Clink I found fans to be be polite but not interested in engaging much, which seems to be the culture there. People are kinda to themselves. I mean people do not even cross an empty street up there until the "cross" sign lights up. It could not be any more different here.

Here people are louder (in general, not referring to crowd noise) more extroverted. This is why you get our fans yelling X, Y and Z and acting obnoxious. It's not as if all of us are like that, but we are definitely use to it, so it's tolerated to an extent and you do see more of that here.

I imagine the south is very hospitable even to opposing fans.

Traveling to other cities is a great way to see the country and engage in a unique experience. A game alwaya feels like a major event to me or a party of sorts. Every team has its own unique identifying colors and culture. You'll probably have a great time in all those cities.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:16 am

http://deadspin.com/49ers-fans-start-br ... socialflow

This getting stupid, at least no one was seriously injured. WTF? I have never witnessed a single fight at close to a 100 games attended, nor, all the games I have watched at various watering holes, not one. WTH? And WTH does it always seem to be Niner fans?
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:38 am

Ohio state, don't do it River, once you start down that dark path to the shoe, forever will it dominate your destiny!!
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:23 am

obiken wrote:Ohio state, don't do it River, once you start down that dark path to the shoe, forever will it dominate your destiny!!

LOL! I'll be a spectator, not a fan. It's a great opportunity to see one of the iconic sporting venues in the nation at The Horseshoe. I'm going a day early so I can make a trip to Canton and see the HOF.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:03 am

RiverDog wrote:I've been to two other NFL stadiums besides the two in Seattle, in Arizona twice and at Houston once. I have another trip planned here in a couple of weeks to Cincinnati and later in the year, we're going to the Arizona game again.

Riv,

If you wanna grab a beer while you're in Cincy shoot me a message. Would be cool to finally meet one of you. Even if you can't just hit me up, I know you like IPAs I'll give you the heads up on the good spots to get one.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:19 am

kalibane wrote:Riv,

If you wanna grab a beer while you're in Cincy shoot me a message. Would be cool to finally meet one of you. Even if you can't just hit me up, I know you like IPAs I'll give you the heads up on the good spots to get one.

That sounds great, Kal! I'll be going to the game with another friend that occasionally posts here, Irish Greg. We're staying across the river in Kentucky and plan on walking to the game.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:30 am

That's probably the best way to do it. I only live a few minutes from the stadium too so it should be pretty easy to figure something out.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:39 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:http://deadspin.com/49ers-fans-start-brawl-outside-of-buffalo-wild-wings-g-1732021624?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

This getting stupid, at least no one was seriously injured. WTF? I have never witnessed a single fight at close to a 100 games attended, nor, all the games I have watched at various watering holes, not one. WTH? And WTH does it always seem to be Niner fans?

Maybe things might change if this story has any merit (possibly banning alcohol sales after half time):

http://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/articl ... er-premium

I'm not so sure taunting any group whether they are sober or not is a good idea, though.
You're pretty well asking for some type of confrontation.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby SalmonBB » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:23 pm

I'm feeling a little bad about saying the following a few days ago: "But I will say I don't have much sympathy for folks who go on the road and are jerks, talking trash in an obnoxious fashion to the home crowd. Yep, they're asking for it - plain and simple. Not saying I condone the beat downs, but simply that I've observed in life that if you WANT to be an idiot, then you'll usually be rewarded as an idiot."

Not so much about the first part, although I wish I never said that either ... but more about the latter. I can think about several times in life where I have been an idiot. Sometimes I was punished in some way as a consequence, but almost always, and by God's Grace, I emerged okay - and I am thankful for not being "rewarded as an idiot." I guess my point is this: I'm no judge ... I've been an idiot myself plenty of times.

Sorry for the diatribe. Had to get it off my chest.

Oh yeah, I've seen a few fights ... and I think all were at one game: Pats vs. Jets in Foxborough ... I think in 1999 or 2000. It also happened to be the game where Drew Bledsoe scored his first NFL career rushing touchdown (after being in the NFL for quite a number of years already). None of the fights happened right near me, but you could see where they were happening because all the people in those areas had their backs turned away from the game and towards the fights. There must've been 10 or more.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
SalmonBB
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:41 pm

kalibane wrote:That's probably the best way to do it. I only live a few minutes from the stadium too so it should be pretty easy to figure something out.

Sounds good. I'm renting a car so we will be mobile, too. I'll send you a PM when the date approaches and exchange phone numbers. We won't get into Cincy until Saturday evening as we'll be driving down from Columbus after the OSU game. I don't return home until late Tuesday.

RD
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum