Are FG Kickers Getting Better?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Are FG Kickers Getting Better?

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:12 am

My first thread in the Shack. It's been brought up in another forum, and I thought it would be worth 'kicking' around in here.

Phil Dawson hit FG's of 48 and 51 yards against us last Sunday without hardly breaking a sweat. Our own Steven Haushka hasn't missed all season, save for the one that was blocked in Indy. All over the league, kickers are routinely banging them in from 45-55 yards. It doesn't seem that long ago when a 45-55 yard FG was at best a 50/50 proposition.

So my questions are this: Is my impression correct? Are FG kickers getting progressively more and more accurate? And if so, should something be done to make it more difficult, such as narrowing the goal posts by a couple of feet?
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Are FG Kickers Getting Better?

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:33 am

HI RD,

Some kickers have gotten really better this year, including Hauschka. I noticed it during the pre-season, just with his kickoffs, but I'm blown away by his accuracy and distance this year on field goals. Coming off a knee injury, he must be on a contract year.

San Fran's kicker last year was cut and shipped somewhere else and he hasn't improved, so it's not across the board.

When I first started following football, the kickoffs were from the 40 and the field goals were spotted, if missed, at the line of scrimmage. Other rule changes place the kickoffs that go out-of-bounds way farther up the field... I don't know how many more changes that the NFL can make, but they seem to enjoy making kicking harder, so I would expect something.

How about an inside pair of posts that give 3 points, and an the normal outside pair that only gives you two?
or penalize the kicking team 10 more yards a miss?

God, it's nice to have a forum again.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:55 am

Maybe as a group, but I seem to remember a guy like Norm routinely banging them through from 50+, not sure, but my guess would be that the philosophy of the coaching has changed as well. As coaches become more willing to allow those long kicks, the people that can hit them are highlighted, those that can't either don't attempt them ( thus hiding the deficiency) or are out of the league. Been a LONG time since I can remember 40 yarders being some sort of difficult kick though, so maybe it's consistency, coaching philosophy change ( and as with any position now they start young and practice for literally years upon years upon years).
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:08 am

I think with parity comes more attention to Special Teams as a whole and I think Punters are doing better as well.
When most teams are able to make a close game of it, a Field Goal can be the difference.
Therefor the ST coaches are under more pressure along with the K and P groups.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:18 pm

Here is an idea. How about nothing changes, except if you nail anything that is 60+ yards counts as 4 Points. That would change some of the game planing.

Higher Risk, Higher Reward
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:01 pm

4XPIPS wrote:Here is an idea. How about nothing changes, except if you nail anything that is 60+ yards counts as 4 Points. That would change some of the game planing.

Really don't like that idea, a few reasons why is it changes the way games are played, the two point conversion becomes irrelevant again, teams down by four no longer need to score TD's at the end of games, teams could intentionally NOT attempt to get any closer to "tie" games, instead opting to kick a 61 yarder for a win. Just too many game changing variables in that. Have little interest in increasing the " value" of something like a FG. Just like I dislike the idea of implementing 2 points for a returned 2 point conversion for the defense... I am not saying your idea is bad or anything, just that I dislike the thought of changing the strategy of the game...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:53 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:
4XPIPS wrote:Here is an idea. How about nothing changes, except if you nail anything that is 60+ yards counts as 4 Points. That would change some of the game planing.

Really don't like that idea, a few reasons why is it changes the way games are played, the two point conversion becomes irrelevant again, teams down by four no longer need to score TD's at the end of games, teams could intentionally NOT attempt to get any closer to "tie" games, instead opting to kick a 61 yarder for a win. Just too many game changing variables in that. Have little interest in increasing the " value" of something like a FG. Just like I dislike the idea of implementing 2 points for a returned 2 point conversion for the defense... I am not saying your idea is bad or anything, just that I dislike the thought of changing the strategy of the game...

It would change strategies, but it's not easy to nail 60+ yards, and with taking that risk and you miss you give the opposing team huge field position. I have seen coaches this year pass on 55+ yard Attempts because the game is too close and field position out weighs the given opportunity. I agree it will never happen, however look how stupid our OT rules are.... or the free kick rule... some rules need to be revised.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:01 pm

I wasn't attempting to imply it's easy, just that the thought of losing a game because of a last second 60 yard field goal doesn't sit well with me.... LOL
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Mo the Toe » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:59 pm

I think it has to do with more soccer available to kids. More leg strength and coordination to kick due to the increase of availability for kids to play soccer. Seeing more and more high school kickers that play soccer year round and kick on their school football teams.
Mo the Toe
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:48 pm

60 yards + a tick and he won the Monday night game. What's wrong with that? Was pretty exciting, but I think if you miss you give it to the other team with a ten year penalty tacked on.

A Detroit lost 45 seconds by not calling a time-out before the FG try.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:05 pm

Not sure.

I guess I actually kinda think there's just less wind today.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:50 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:60 yards + a tick and he won the Monday night game. What's wrong with that? Was pretty exciting, but I think if you miss you give it to the other team with a ten year penalty tacked on.

A Detroit lost 45 seconds by not calling a time-out before the FG try.

Kinda reinforces the OP, doesn't it? 6 FG's and no TD's, the last FG coming from a near record 61 yards to win it. Did anyone see the post game interview with Justin Tucker, talking about his fantasy owners? I tell ya, those kickers are a different breed. They're the nerds of everyone's high school class.

Does anyone think that the trend of having punters serve as the kick holders has anything to do with the increased efficiency of place kickers? It used to be that the place kicker spent most of the practice kicking into a net while his holder, usually the backup quarterback, practiced with the offense. Now they can spend more time working on their timing.

I noticed the timeout dilemma, too. The Lions were in a state of confusion. They didn't know what Baltimore was going to do, go for the first down or go for the FG. Nevertheless, they should have called the timeout. It wasn't going to affect the outcome of either of the Ravens' chosen 4th down option, and it would have preserved more time for a comeback.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:35 am

I still don't know why they are kicking so long this season. I want the TRUTH! 8-)
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Clem7 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:41 am

Time to check what is inside those kickers' shoes besides feet.
Clem7
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:29 pm

Whatever the case may be, I'm glad we have a good one in Hauschka.
The Seahawks, of all things, have had a remarkably good streak in terms of kickers.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:41 am

Zorn76 wrote:Whatever the case may be, I'm glad we have a good one in Hauschka.
The Seahawks, of all things, have had a remarkably good streak in terms of kickers.

Hauschka and Ryan are perhaps the two most overlooked players on our roster. Both have performed incredibly well this season. They need to have a thread dedicated to just them.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum