0-2 is a disaster.......

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

0-2 is a disaster.......

Postby curmudgeon » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:49 am

:?:
curmudgeon
Legacy

Re: 0-2 is a disaster.......

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:51 am

Yea, come on, Sis. I logged on at 10:00 pm last night just to see if you'd started the thread.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:57 am

Our O-line made some real progress yesterday. There were some nice pockets against a quality defense, and that's something we have't seen for a while. There were still major communication and recognition issues, and we took a step back in run blocking, but I'm encouraged.

They're like a rookie QB right now, they just aren't ready for the full playbook so we spoon feed 'em pablum til they can handle some spicier fare. We could look pretty good by midseason.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:01 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Our O-line made some real progress yesterday. There were some nice pockets against a quality defense, and that's something we have't seen for a while. There were still major communication and recognition issues, and we took a step back in run blocking, but I'm encouraged.

They're like a rookie QB right now, they just aren't ready for the full playbook so we spoon feed 'em pablum til they can handle some spicier fare. We could look pretty good by midseason.

Agreed on all points. Russell was having to call out a lot of stuff for Nowak in the first game. Not sure about tonight, but that situation is bound to get better with experience. That's one position you can't just plug and play.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:06 am

The odd thing was their pass blocking was better than their run blocking.
Strange for a run first team, but they need to get some road graders in there for us to get back to what made us successful in the past.
Our OL wasn't able to move their DL enough to give Lynch a seam to get through before the backside DL tracked him down.
They made us one dimensional by stopping the run game.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:04 am

It would be nice if Bevell could use his imagination in the 1st half, instead of waiting until we're down by 10 points in the 2nd.

"Wow, what do you know, the read option works?!"

No s***, Darrell.

We're a 2nd half team, because the play calling in the first two quarters has all the creativity of a preseason game.

It's OK to have a sense of urgency early in the game to put points on the board, guy. You don't have to wait for the team to be down and desperate. It's beyond tiresome with D.B.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby wait_a_sec » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:17 am

I think it is time to remove the short pass down the middle from the playbook.
wait_a_sec
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:41 pm

Zorn76 wrote:It would be nice if Bevell could use his imagination in the 1st half, instead of waiting until we're down by 10 points in the 2nd.

No s***, Darrell.

We're a 2nd half team, because the play calling in the first two quarters has all the creativity of a preseason game.

It's OK to have a sense of urgency early in the game to put points on the board, guy. You don't have to wait for the team to be down and desperate. It's beyond tiresome with D.B.

Yes and once you have it going, let's go back to running the ball because it was working to good in the first half right. I can not believe that idiot got away from what was working. Sorry but I think bevell is all that good and I think I am not the only one that thinks that, there has to be a reason that when he gets interviewed after the season and no team has made a real move for him and he got interviewed for what? Third year on a row.
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:49 pm

If you shook Bevell upside down nothing but sand would come out! About imaginative as a fence post in the desert. I think he made it by until now because of the D. I think the D is suspect to as is Kris R who may not have the experience after Quinn left and Norton left. BTW Atlanta is 2-0, and Oakland beat the Ravens.
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:51 pm

Zorn76 wrote:It would be nice if Bevell could use his imagination in the 1st half, instead of waiting until we're down by 10 points in the 2nd.

No s***, Darrell.

Combine the bad play calling with an OL that's leaking oil and you end up one dimensional - which is what teams have been trying to do to us for the last 3 years.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:19 pm

No s***, Darrell.

Problem is it was not Bevell it was Wilson. Whenever they went to a long huddle it was Bevell and we did not do well
Anthony
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:45 pm

NorthHawk wrote:The odd thing was their pass blocking was better than their run blocking.
Strange for a run first team, but they need to get some road graders in there for us to get back to what made us successful in the past.
Our OL wasn't able to move their DL enough to give Lynch a seam to get through before the backside DL tracked him down.
They made us one dimensional by stopping the run game.

Uggh. *sigh*.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:56 pm

The problem was more than Bevell. Everyone has a share of the blame. Whteher it be Wilsons sudden fear to keep the ball on the read option all of a sudden, poor play calling, the line missing blocks, the receivers not getting separation, Wilson not seeing open receivers, the refusal to GIVE Graham a 50/50 ball once in a while, taking a deep shot to Lockett or someone else when they crowd the LOS successful or not, the refusal to be more aggressive in the first half, or not audibling out of a bad play call. Units include everyone, Bevell may be an easy scapegoat ( and I am certainly not defending him, as I was one of the very first, if not the first to nickname the man BevFool) but seems to me, that there isn't a whole lot of accountability on all the players ( at least from fans) part for what they do. Well with the exception of the Line, they get lambasted no matter what, and have pretty much always.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:08 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:The problem was more than Bevell. Everyone has a share of the blame. Whteher it be Wilsons sudden fear to keep the ball on the read option all of a sudden, poor play calling, the line missing blocks, the receivers not getting separation, Wilson not seeing open receivers, the refusal to GIVE Graham a 50/50 ball once in a while, taking a deep shot to Lockett or someone else when they crowd the LOS successful or not, the refusal to be more aggressive in the first half, or not audibling out of a bad play call. Units include everyone, Bevell may be an easy scapegoat ( and I am certainly not defending him, as I was one of the very first, if not the first to nickname the man BevFool) but seems to me, that there isn't a whole lot of accountability on all the players ( at least from fans) part for what they do. Well with the exception of the Line, they get lambasted no matter what, and have pretty much always.

I think a lot of what you are talking about is just Peteball. Pete's style has been great for us and has led to a lot of wins, playoffs, and obviously a SB title. It can be frustrating to watch, though, because it usually doesn't lead to a high octane high scoring offense and it is much more pronounced on the road but the general aspects are always there: ball control, ball security, don't give up any big plays on D, etc. I don't mind the philosophy because it almost always guarantees that you are at least in the game in the 2nd half but it is frustrating when you finally see them open up the offense a little bit and it really starts clicking. We have seen this a ton in the 2nd half of games when we are down and RW starts to get us back into the game. He has to start taking some risks because we are down, he's willing to use his feet more and get outside the framework of the normal offense. That's when our O is really exciting.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:16 pm

Did Wilson refuse to keep it on the read option the beginning of last year or the previous two seasons in the first half? I really don't remember it that way. I am NOT saying I expect them to turn into the greatest show on turf, but occasionally taking a shot down field ( which I promise they have done in the past early in the game) or occasionally reminding the defense that Wilson can and will hurt them with his feet....? I see zero issue with that, and know they have indeed done so in the past, so why the sudden hesitation to continue to do it, or sporadically do it?
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:21 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Did Wilson refuse to keep it on the read option the beginning of last year or the previous two seasons in the first half? I really don't remember it that way. I am NOT saying I expect them to turn into the greatest show on turf, but occasionally taking a shot down field ( which I promise they have done in the past early in the game) or occasionally reminding the defense that Wilson can and will hurt them with his feet....? I see zero issue with that, and know they have indeed done so in the past, so why the sudden hesitation to continue to do it, or sporadically do it?

I do feel like he is more hesitant to run it in the first half, whether it be on scrambles or the read option but it does seem to be a little less this year, although it is still early. Taking the deep shot early is the big head scratcher for me. I can sort of understand that against the Rams with the D they were playing but the Packers weren't in that super deep 5 across 2 deep zone like the Rams. There had to be some more opportunities down field against them. We did take more but I agree I would love to see #16 get targeted deep early.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:30 pm

I think Wilson HAS to run early if just to reinforce that possibility in the Defenses mind.
We see it makes a difference later in the game, so it could be a part of getting a good lead early.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:36 pm

I think we can talk about singing Kumbaya on a cliff in Hawaii all day long but Russ has some skeletons in the closet right now from the "play". Just a hunch. I trust him to work it out. Its not unlike an injury learning to trust your body again. Russ needs to trust his instincts again, rediscover his swag. Hes lacking confidence.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:58 pm

I was just thinking they seem to have lost a little bit of swagger.
It can be cured by a big win against the Bears on Sunday.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:11 pm

Oh they have to beat the Bears and the Lions, and they probably will. Come on IF they lose to the Bears at home, then we all start saying its a disaster.
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:06 pm

There's squeaking by and then there's a big win.
If they get a big win, they could get on a roll.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:12 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I was just thinking they seem to have lost a little bit of swagger.
It can be cured by a big win against the Bears on Sunday.

Yes, they have lost their swagger. That's what Kam brought. Kam makes the others feel as if they're 10 feet tall.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:27 pm

has it occurred to you that they at not wanting RW to run much for fear of I jury now. I am not convinced they let him
Anthony
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:44 pm

The first 1/2 thing we do...It does seem pretty vanilla. The Creed: we are 'better' therefore we can run any play and win... is coming crashing down. The best series in the whole game was the one with Marshawn on the bench as the defense didn't know what three plays we were running.

Then there's #88. Maybe JS should explain to Bevel that we didn't send our starting center and a #1 to another team for a player who is a 'decoy'.. didn't we learn anything with Percy? .

js
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:24 pm

Anthony wrote:has it occurred to you that they at not wanting RW to run much for fear of I jury now. I am not convinced they let him

Then why has Carroll twice this season been caught on camera telling him to run it or why didn't he keep the ball? Unless you are saying Bevell is going behind the HC back and telling Wilson not to, until it is to late. Hell, even the clueless announcers picked up on his refusal to keep it, when he clearly should have, if they do, I promise DC are.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:32 pm

obiken wrote:Oh they have to beat the Bears and the Lions, and they probably will. Come on IF they lose to the Bears at home, then we all start saying its a disaster.

From Bleacher Report:
So what does it all mean for Seattle? Maybe nothing. Maybe everything. One thing is for certain though: The Seahawks better beat Chicago next Sunday because only five teams in history have ever made the playoffs after an 0-3 start.

This is such a must win game the pressure will be enormous.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:35 am

We all know what an advantage we have at home.
And being 0-2, the odds of us overlooking Anybody right now are slim to none.

Chicago will be starting Jimmy Claussen, who has been a journeyman since entering the league.
Again, can't take this team lightly, but some home cookin' is exactly what is needed right now, against a team that, frankly, we should be able to CRUSH, even if Cutler were healthy.

The team has gotta be pizzed right now, and the hunch here is that they will take it out on the Bears.
I don't care what the Vegas spread is, we will end up beating Chicago by 21 or more. A win is a win, but this has as good a chance as any to be a blowout.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:45 am

HumanCockroach wrote:
Then why has Carroll twice this season been caught on camera telling him to run it or why didn't he keep the ball? Unless you are saying Bevell is going behind the HC back and telling Wilson not to, until it is to late. Hell, even the clueless announcers picked up on his refusal to keep it, when he clearly should have, if they do, I promise DC are.

The question is has he been caught on camera saying to run it in the first half? Also if as you say PC has said this in the first half knowing wilson as well as we all do he would have done it. I think there is confusion on offense on when they wan Wilson to run and when they do not PC said during preseason they wanted him to stay in the pocket more, and they wanted to get Lynch the ball a lot. Well if Wilson is keeping it Lynch is not getting it. I am just saying it does not make sense, something is amiss. Y9o also do not know what is happening with Lynch, maybe he is trying to keep him happy, Lynch and PC do not talk much. I guess what I am saying is there is a reason he is not keeping it much in the first half and I do not believe it is Wilson. Oh and FYI he is on pace for over 800 yards again and almost has more yards then Lynch.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:16 am

We need to start playing Offensive football in the first half of every game. Base it on personnel and not on situations. Throw to JG and let him run. Throw screens and bubbles and see how they go. Not to mention give new guy a chance to run the ball. 2 fumbles from our vets really sucked. In the 2nd half you can base the offense on game situational awareness.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:09 am

HumanCockroach wrote:Anthony said: "has it occurred to you that they at not wanting RW to run much for fear of I jury now. I am not convinced they let him"

I agree with HC. The coaching staff isn't worried about injuries to Russell anymore now than they have been in the past, at least not injuries as a result of keeping on the read option. Russell's not going to get hurt on called runs. If he's going to get hurt, it's going to be on a passing attempt or some situation where he gets himself into an awkward position. Running the read is one area where Russell's height and slightly stocky build, combined with his situational awareness as to when to get down and when to go for that extra yard, gives him an advantage. IMO they don't want him going to the well too often, hand it off to Beast 75% of the time and keep it only when they need a big play.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:31 am

Well Veag still believes in us. We open at 14.5 to 15 point favorites against the Bears. That almost looks like a college line ... https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/odds
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:31 pm

If Hawks go down at home to the Bears with a backup QB I would say its the end of the run as we know it! I am hoping to be 3-2 after 5 games. A number of good teams picked to go a long way this season now at 0-2. I still think our D is more worriesome, last 3 games gave up the 4-Q lead. I think Rodgers was like 9-9 on last drive.
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:39 pm

The NFC is really in a sad state right now compared to past yrs. As of today, the Cards and Pack are the two top teams. But how good are the Cards, really?

The NFC East is flat out terrible.

The NFC South's best team is the Panthers.

As a Niner fan I hate to say it, but who "couldn't" Seattle beat of that group? And though we know it's happened before, I cannot see any surprise team suddenly coming together late in the yr to mesh as a contender. Who would that team be, the Giants again? The Falcons continuing a surprise start?

Seems like everything is up for grabs even for the 0-2 teams.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:55 pm

As long as Carson Palmer stays upright, they are as good or better than we are.
obiken
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:51 pm

The question is has he been caught on camera saying to run it in the first half? Also if as you say PC has said this in the first half knowing wilson as well as we all do he would have done it. I think there is confusion on offense on when they wan Wilson to run and when they do not PC said during preseason they wanted him to stay in the pocket more, and they wanted to get Lynch the ball a lot. Well if Wilson is keeping it Lynch is not getting it. I am just saying it does not make sense, something is amiss. Y9o also do not know what is happening with Lynch, maybe he is trying to keep him happy, Lynch and PC do not talk much. I guess what I am saying is there is a reason he is not keeping it much in the first half and I do not believe it is Wilson. Oh and FYI he is on pace for over 800 yards again and almost has more yards then Lynch

As to the first question, the answer is yes.

As to the rest of it, feel free to misconstrue what that statement was in response to. It certainly was not Carroll admitting to the rest of the league that Wilson was no longer keeping it on read options, so they no longer had to play it honest, and had an unblocked free tackler to hit Lynch in the backfield for the year.( it was in response to passing plays, and the protection on them, read the question before the answer, and it should clear things up nicely for you).

As for the outpacing, see the last paragraph, crashing LB without blockers, or the threat of the "option" portion of the read option probably is going to lower the success of the running back. Good lord.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:43 pm

obiken wrote:As long as Carson Palmer stays upright, they are as good or better than we are.

Based on what, exactly? I am not saying they aren't but I would have to see them beat good teams consistently with him at QB to put them at the level of a team who has been to back to back SB's.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:59 pm

Based on what, exactly?

Yeah, mixed feelings here about that, too.

They *have* done what you expect a good team to do (beat the bad teams soundly), but it also can't be ignored that the two teams they beat are considered among the worst in the league.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:07 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:
As to the first question, the answer is yes.

As to the rest of it, feel free to misconstrue what that statement was in response to. It certainly was not Carroll admitting to the rest of the league that Wilson was no longer keeping it on read options, so they no longer had to play it honest, and had an unblocked free tackler to hit Lynch in the backfield for the year.( it was in response to passing plays, and the protection on them, read the question before the answer, and it should clear things up nicely for you).

As for the outpacing, see the last paragraph, crashing LB without blockers, or the threat of the "option" portion of the read option probably is going to lower the success of the running back. Good lord.

Hmm so I am confused a lot of people to include those on this boards said Lynch makes Wilson, seems now we are saying the opposite now that we have seen that it is indeed a symbiotic relationship. And gain I an not convinced they want him to run any more than he has too, as PC did say the want him to stay in the pocket more.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:15 pm

burrrton wrote:
Yeah, mixed feelings here about that, too.

They *have* done what you expect a good team to do (beat the bad teams soundly), but it also can't be ignored that the two teams they beat are considered among the worst in the league.

To further the point, with Palmer at QB they are 8-0 and have beat teams with a combined 32-52 record (not counting the Cowboys who were without Romo when they played; this might be cherry picking a little, but whatever. The Cowboys are an average team at best without Romo). That's a whopping .38 winning percentage. Again, I'm not saying they are bad or can't beat us but I just haven't exactly seen it on a consistent enough basis yet to be convinced that they are on the precipice of dethroning us.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:06 pm

as PC did say the want him to stay in the pocket more.

Like I said, read the question that was asked and get back to me, until then all I see is an excuse as to why Wilson, has refused to keep the ball, and nothing more.

As for the Lynch statement, what a moronic thing to say, using the same principle you just used, I could claim, that the offensive lineman " make" Wilson, because if none blocked he couldn't succeed, the SAME as Wilson not occasionally keeping the ball (you know since the OLB does not get blocked) and at the VERY least sell that he does (something he refused to do in the fourth against the Rams and OT) hence without the option, Seattle might as well remove Wilson altogether and direct snap the damn thing to Lynch with two extra blockers in front of him.

Yes Lynch relies on Wilson, just like Wilson relies on Lynch, its unfortunate one of them is refusing to do his job on those playcalls, and sorry, it isn't Lynch.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum