An open letter to Michael Bennett

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

An open letter to Michael Bennett

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:07 am

Dear Mr. Bennett:

Come on, man! I know that you are hair triggered and that getting a good jump is essential in your play, but enough's enough! And what's worse is that I've seen you line up offsides...twice in a row! Time to quit whining about how much money you aren't making and pull your head out of your arse. Your penalties are just killing us!

Respectfully,

River Dog, a charter Seahawk fan since 1976.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: An open letter to Michael Bennett

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:21 am

People forget that Bennett's off sides on the goal line in SB 49 was the nail in the coffin as NE would have had to run at least 1 play from inside the one with 20 seconds left. My brother swears Brady was ready to take a knee until Bennett jumped.
There is no question his penalties provided a margin of victory yesterday.

I love Bennetts motor but he's killing us with rookie type mistakes.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:37 am

Don't forget KJ Wright for being ejected. KJ you just cant do something like that, the right way to do it is take the helmet of from the opponent first and THEN slam his head into it and all you get then is $35000.00 fine but you still get to finish game ;)
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:25 am

depaashaas wrote:Don't forget KJ Wright for being ejected. KJ you just cant do something like that, the right way to do it is take the helmet of from the opponent first and THEN slam his head into it and all you get then is $35000.00 fine but you still get to finish game ;)

Along those lines, the replay never showed him taking off an opponents helmet. He certainly should have been flagged, but he was wrestling with the TE (maybe #82, but I can't remember for sure) and it never appeared that his helmet came off. It was a lineman's helmet that eventually came off and I don't think it was KJ who took it off. Anybody re-watch that and get a better view?
mykc14
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:40 am

Anybody re-watch that and get a better view?

No, but what you describe is what I saw, too. Unless there was another altercation after the one where he was shoving the guy's head down, it was a bullsht ejection.

Another question while I'm venting: was offensive holding removed from the rulebook in the offseason? It's easy to btch about, and I know it happens on virtually every play, but there were SO many plays where our d-line moved the LOS back, then they were frozen in place as the runner ran by them over and over and over.

Frustrating to watch.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:55 am

The holding was criminal
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:01 am

Along those lines, the replay never showed him taking off an opponents helmet. He certainly should have been flagged, but he was wrestling with the TE (maybe #82, but I can't remember for sure) and it never appeared that his helmet came off. It was a lineman's helmet that eventually came off and I don't think it was KJ who took it off. Anybody re-watch that and get a better view?[/quote]

I was throwing in what pacman jones did last week against oakland. He did not got ejected or suspended just fined. And yes it was a personal foul but I don't think ejection was needed in this particular case, maybe there was something we are just not aware of like it was second time during game and refs gave him warning already I can see him being ejected like that but not like this
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:04 am

depaashaas wrote:
I was throwing in what pacman jones did last week against oakland. He did not got ejected or suspended just fined. And yes it was a personal foul but I don't think ejection was needed in this particular case, maybe there was something we are just not aware of like it was second time during game and refs gave him warning already I can see him being ejected like that but not like this

Yeah, I knew what you were referencing and agree KJ shouldn't have been ejected. It wasn't for a previous incident or anything as they said he was ejected for taking another players helmet off.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:29 am

I wouldn't think KJ will be suspended. It's not like he's a chronic problem in the league.
I believe it's now an immediate ejection for removing another players helmet, and of course a fine of some sort.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:34 am

NorthHawk wrote:I wouldn't think KJ will be suspended. It's not like he's a chronic problem in the league.
I believe it's now an immediate ejection for removing another players helmet, and of course a fine of some sort.

Did you see KJ take a player's helmet off?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:01 pm

It doesn't matter. It's what was ruled on the field.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:08 pm

NorthHawk wrote:It doesn't matter. It's what was ruled on the field.

Well, partially agree, but when the league office reviews this, if he didn't actually take a player's helmet off, I suspect that might influence what they choose for punishment.

That, and I'm honestly curious if anyone saw more than I did.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:16 pm

s*** happens (with regards to KJ). Bennett lining up in the neutral zone is an every game thing (often multiple times). He really needs to be more disciplined with that. Get with the official and ask how they are calling it so he knows where to line up. It's extended too many drives over the last couple years.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:24 pm

burrrton wrote:

That's where I'm at as well. Don't get yourself in that situation in the first place, but I would like to know if anybody saw him take a guy's helmet off, because I also get frustrated when officials call a penalty when they see something happen and 'think' they know how it happened (i.e. The Packers helmet coming off and thinking it was KJ). Also, the longer I coach the more frustrated I get at officials.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:26 pm

I understand your frustration with Bennett lining up in the neutral zone, but players like him play best while on the edge of an infraction.
That little bit extra often means the difference between beating his man and being blocked effectively enough for the play to be a success.
I'd hate to temper his aggressiveness by making him change the way he plays.
But I do get the frustration.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:28 pm

burrrton wrote:
Well, partially agree, but when the league office reviews this, if he didn't actually take a player's helmet off, I suspect that might influence what they choose for punishment.

I didn't see any replays that showed either way. The camera coverage is usually pretty good by the networks, so I have to wonder if there are any other viewpoints we didn't see.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:52 pm

That's why I'm saying he needs to talk to the officials to see how far they are going to let him go without calling it. It's too much when ever week there are one or two drives he's extending or a turnover/sack he nullifies because he lined up in the neutral zone.

I'd be more forgiving if he was jumping but lining up in the neutral zone doesn't need to happen.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:17 pm

kalibane wrote:s*** happens (with regards to KJ). Bennett lining up in the neutral zone is an every game thing (often multiple times). He really needs to be more disciplined with that. Get with the official and ask how they are calling it so he knows where to line up. It's extended too many drives over the last couple years.

to be fair, it's common, GB's tackles lined up offsides every single snap and was not flagged a single time. As for Wright, he did remove the helmet after he was yanked back down by his facemask. Ultimately, Wright made a mistake by shoving on the guys face, got yanked down by his facemask in retaliation and then grabbed and yanked the guys helmet off. Automatic ejection. Not saying I agree with not ejecting guys like Pac Man ( head slamming into knocked off lid) or Suhs ( pardon me while I kicked off your helmet) BUT if those aren't ejectable offenses, and in Suhs case not even a fineable one, how the F do you eject Wright ( especially given the history of those two players) ?
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:31 pm

Ultimately, Wright made a mistake by shoving on the guys face, got yanked down by his facemask in retaliation and then grabbed and yanked the guys helmet off.

Got a timestamp for that? I haven't gone back to dig, but I couldn't find it looking real quick last night.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:36 pm

Just watch the replay that is shown after the penalty, it's pretty clear.

Honestly, it looks like Wright just had his helmet buckled on better, as he was the one grabbed far more aggressively.
Last edited by HumanCockroach on Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:37 pm

Wasn't it KJ that was flagged for SWEARING vs Carolina a couple years ago? Refs cut Hawks no slack ever as the statistics show. Sherm may have had a bad day for sure but the Pack CBs absolutely undressed our receivers one to Kearse in particular stands out. you cant flag Sherm if that was legal. Same for Mathews running over Luke Willson from behind.
Its never even folks.
The last two Hawks teams have been mentally and physically strong enough to overcome it. So far this one isn't..................
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:40 pm

Luke fell, Mathews never even touched him until he fell over him. I agree with the other point, but Willson clearly slipped.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:40 pm

I doubt it would have made any difference in the game, though.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:42 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Just watch the replay that is shown after the penalty, it's pretty clear.

Honestly, it looks like Wright just had his helmet buckled on better, as he was the one grabbed far more aggressively.

So it WAS the TE whose helmet was taken off? It looked like he was grabbing it and pressing it to the ground but I never saw his (the TE) helmet come off. After the play they had a lineman with his helmet off, but it didn't look like KJ was around him. Again I haven't really re-watched it, just trying to go off memory.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:44 pm

Watching replays of the screen pass that was picked it looks like even more of a game changer than it was. Lynch had nothing but tundra and offensive linemen in front of him. Russ is normally awesome at getting a little air under the ball but he threw it shoulder high in traffic. That would have been a huge play if it were completed.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:33 pm

kalibane wrote:s*** happens (with regards to KJ). Bennett lining up in the neutral zone is an every game thing (often multiple times). He really needs to be more disciplined with that. Get with the official and ask how they are calling it so he knows where to line up. It's extended too many drives over the last couple years.

When I played... ugh, I can hear the groans now... You could line up on the LOS and make eye contact with the ref and he'd motion for you to move back a bit if you were lined up offside. I don't suppose that happens anymore.

There's just no excuse for jumping offside as much as Bennett does. Just watch the ball and screen out the noise. I can understand losing concentration every once in awhile, but Bennett must have jumped 5-6 times last night.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:01 pm

Easy on KJ - He made one hellofa play when he stripped (Mugged) the running back Starks of the ball and recovered the fumble in Green Bay territory.

If memory serves me I think through some effective play calling we ended up punting and getting 0 points for KJ's effort.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:10 pm

We lost our composure last night, period. Vets and pro bowlers and All Pros made rookie mistakes.

We are on pace to yet again be the most penalized team in the league, it was NOT the officials last night.

Many of our favorite Seahawk players need to stop reading their own press clippings, no Sherm., you are NOT the best CB in the league. You are in the top ten, and maybe, I stress maybe in the top 5. But you are NOT #1 or #2 or even #3.

For 3 years I hear how James Carpenter may be a good run blocker but he struggles at pass blocking. I am watching MNF and JC is doing both and really well. Maybe it is the ZBS and/or the coaches, like TC that are not doing his job!

If Russell Wilson can't find Jimmy Graham we should have left him in NO and kept our all important Center.

What I am hearing is Wilson wants to be known as a "pure" drop back and throw from the pocket QB. But, that isn't what wins games for us, so RW needs to swallow his ego and do what he does best!

P.S. Ditto on Bennett, especially his penchant for lining up off sides, there is NO EXCUSE for that.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:53 pm

Why is everyone being so soft on Bennett? It's time PC put the hammer down on this BS! Bilichick would've benched the fuc* after the 2nd penalty.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:57 pm

& savvyman is right. KJ had a stellar game up until he got tossed.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:14 pm

His tossing was a bad call and bogus. KJ gets a free pass for this week.
obiken
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:06 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:
What I am hearing is Wilson wants to be known as a "pure" drop back and throw from the pocket QB. But, that isn't what wins games for us, so RW needs to swallow his ego and do what he does best!

Where are you hearing that? I have heard fans say that but I haven't seen any actual reports of it let alone a mention of anything like that from PC or RW.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:00 am

Did anyone else notice on the PI call that put the Packers in business at the end of the half that Sherman had given up on the play, was loafing until he suddenly realized that Rodgers was still on the move and that his man was 10 yards behind him? Then he had to struggle to make up ground and ended up committing the PI that netted the Pack about 35 or 40 yards.

Our veterans are killing us. We've had two winnable games and now we're in a position where we have to win or our season will be over before it gets started. I saw an article today that only 11% of the teams that start out 0-2 make the playoffs. Of course, that's before you handicap it with the fact that both losses were on the road and the strength of the teams that beat us, although the Rams rolling over for the Skins this weekend didn't make our loss to them look any better. We're going to have to run off 10-12 straight to get back in the hunt if our goal is to go to our 3rd straight SB. At this point, I couldn't put our team in the top 10 in a power ranking. We have some serious problems on both sides of the LOS.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:44 am

Did anyone else notice on the PI call that put the Packers in business at the end of the half that Sherman had given up on the play, was loafing until he suddenly realized that Rodgers was still on the move and that his man was 10 yards behind him? Then he had to struggle to make up ground and ended up committing the PI that netted the Pack about 35 or 40 yards.

Yup.

Our veterans are killing us.

Yup yup. There's just something different about the team right now, even ignoring the obvious o-line issues. It's hard to tell but everyone seems like they're going through the motions.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:09 am

burrrton wrote:"Did anyone else notice on the PI call that put the Packers in business at the end of the half that Sherman had given up on the play, was loafing until he suddenly realized that Rodgers was still on the move and that his man was 10 yards behind him? Then he had to struggle to make up ground and ended up committing the PI that netted the Pack about 35 or 40 yards.

Yup.

Our veterans are killing us

Yup yup. There's just something different about the team right now, even ignoring the obvious o-line issues. It's hard to tell but everyone seems like they're going through the motions.

Kam's missing and we're coming off one of the toughest SB losses since Scott Norwood. I said it at the start of the season and I'll say it again: This will be nearly as big of a challenge for Pete as building this team in the first place. The wheels are coming off the wagon.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:20 am

The positive aspect of all these focus and motivation issues is that they are correctable.

It's an altogether different challenge than building the team from scratch, and I don't see it as nearly as daunting a task.

Looking through the bottom of my rose colored shot glasses, I ain't sweatin' this yet.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:54 am

To be honest I was a little worried about Sherman this year. Having a kid is a big adjustment.
kalibane
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum