Rolling stone article on Rusell Wilson

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Rolling stone article on Rusell Wilson

Postby politicalfootball » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:33 pm

Mostly positive article by a very prestigious magazine.

http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/feat ... e-20150826
politicalfootball
Legacy

Re: Rolling stone article on Rusell Wilson

Postby RiverDog » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:49 pm

Rolling Stone is a very prestigious magazine? Could have fooled me.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:13 pm

Some of the responses to him pizzed me off, the article was good.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:53 am

RD; what do you have against Rolling Stone magazine??
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:59 am

I would guess its editorial focus. But whatever you want to call Rolling Stone, it's cachet is undeniable.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:15 am

This article was nothing more than a way of taking a shot at Wilson for his faith and a smear at the "personality type" that would believe as Wilson does.
I thought this article was loathsome, poorly written, rambling, nearly incoherent, and overtly anti religious.
monkey
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:33 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I would guess its editorial focus. But whatever you want to call Rolling Stone, it's cachet is undeniable.

Well... it's still a nationally circulated magazine, but it's not just their editorial focus (which is the same as virtually every magazine this side of National Review)- whatever shine they had left in 2014 was erased with their 'mattress girl' hatchet job.

One of the most egregious examples of "journalism" in recent memory, and that's saying something with the state of the profession today.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:36 am

monkey wrote:This article was nothing more than a way of taking a shot at Wilson for his faith and a smear at the "personality type" that would believe as Wilson does.
I thought this article was loathsome, poorly written, rambling, nearly incoherent, and overtly anti religious.

I didn't read it, but having been a subscriber to it many decades ago, and to Esquire more recently, what you describe there would be the most expected result imaginable IMO.

Again, though, I didn't read it, so I'm not criticizing personally.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:42 pm

monkey wrote:This article was nothing more than a way of taking a shot at Wilson for his faith and a smear at the "personality type" that would believe as Wilson does.

I'm going to have to sort of disagree with you here. I thought it was alright. I agree it wasn't well written and did ramble a bit, but personally I wouldn't characterize it as incoherent or loathsome. It was anti-religious but I wouldn't classify it as overly anti-religious. To me it was a guy writing about some time he spent with RW. While doing that he's trying to make sense of what RW is about and who he is as a person. I don't know for sure what he would claim religiously but I think a lot of Americans, claiming to be Christian or not, probably feel at least a little like he does about some of RW's claims, especially his claims about the God speaking to him after the SB and his lack of physical relationship with Ciara. I don't agree with a lot of what the author thinks but I don't think he is trying to make RW look bad or smear his personality type. A good example of this is when he is talking about RW's conversation with Lockette in Hawaii where RW admits that he has had sleepless nights too and the author says that somehow this deviates from how RW presents himself and from the whole 'God spoke to me and did this for a reason' statement that RW believes. I see it as RW trying to empathize with a teammate and understanding that having moments of doubt and or questioning Gods plan doesn't make your faith any less real. I mean even Jesus questioned God as He was praying the night He was arrested saying something like 'Father if at all possible take this cup from Me' referring to what was about to happen. Most people don't get it because they don't know.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:15 pm

I dint really see any negatives in the article. It pretty much describes Russ as who he is, unafraid and unashamed.Russell's faith is the cornerstone of all that he is which is pretty darn good.

As for his comments about God speaking to him I absolutely believe it. Ive experienced it as well. Scripture describes it as a "still small voice". IE it isn't audible to the human ear. It speaks to the heart, the soul, the emotion and thought process. But if you are a Christian and you never hear the voice of God you need to listen closer,
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:38 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:RD; what do you have against Rolling Stone magazine??

Boston Marathon.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum