Kam is coming to work

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Kam is coming to work

Postby depaashaas » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:47 am

depaashaas
Legacy

Re: Kam is coming to work

Postby obiken » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:55 am

Makes sense, he knows that we will win the next 2 games, it all downside for him if he stays out.
obiken
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:06 am

Thank GOD.

Please please please let him have buried the hatchet and truly become comfortable with pushing new negotiations to their proper time.

Now- can we get Big Walt out of retirement to join him?

Comment from FieldGulls kinda summarizes some feeling I still harbor, too:

"Stilled (sic) pissed off that he signed a 4 year deal, bought his mom a house and himself a Bentley and turned his back on his team 1 yr into a 4 year deal. I hope he’s embarrassed and his agent gets fired.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:49 am

Kam says he and the team can address the situation this off season. Yes, yes you can Kam. WELCOME BACK!!!!

Kam says he doesn't want to let his "dog" down, his dog meaning Marshawn Lynch. He said the two of them started something a few years ago and it isn't done yet. He is coming back with a GREAT ATTITUDE and with the idea of helping his team mates getting back to the "big dance".

I know all of our troubles, especially on defense, had nothing to do with his hold out but having Kam back our Seahawks will have that SWAGGER back that we have all come to love.

WELCOME BACK KAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My step son and his wife will be attending his first game at the CLINK this Sunday against Chicago, what a game to see his first one in the "new" digs! I told him that when he comes out of the tunnel and sees the field for the first time it will take their breath away. I know I couldn't believe how intimate the field and the players were in relation to the seats, it is magnificent!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:06 am

He ain't gonna fire his agent.

I actually think this was pretty shrewd in the long view;

- Kam and his agent were gambling that the Seahawks would lose these first two games without him, particularly since it was obvious from the schedule release that this was possibly our toughest two game stretch of the season ...

- During the holdout it comes out that Kam plays a much greater role in the overall structure and implementation of the defense than was previously thought. Earl was though to be the catalyst but even he admitted during the holdout that it was Kam that got him line up pre-snap.

- Now, after losing the first two games and having very pedestrian defensive rankings Kam will come back and against the next few opponents we'll look like the Legion of old again and his bargaining position is much improved.

- He's coming back with no concessions from the team right now, and having lost possibly more than a million in fines and lost wages, so the Team can claim a win here but the they are already saying they will look at restructuring his deal next year, and he will more than make up that difference on the new deal

It pisses me off that he cost us two games to set himself up for next years bargaining, but I couldn't be happier he's back and have to tip my hat to his agent after all.
Last edited by c_hawkbob on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:10 am

Maybe you're right, Bob- doesn't change that *I* want his agent fired, though.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:15 am

obiken wrote:Makes sense, he knows that we will win the next 2 games, it all downside for him if he stays out.

I doubt Cam "knows" we are going to win the next two. Hes going to help for sure. The defensive secondary was absolutely pedestrian without him.
But its a 50-50 league,a field goal league, a new season and nobody wants to go 0-3 or 0-4 so we will get their best shot.First against a team with an elite back(leading the NFL in total offense) and coach who has watched as much film on Seattle as anyone. Then against a pro bowl QB and 2 excellent wideouts one of whom Mr Golden Tate will absolutely be relishing his shot to silence the 12s and Stafford will give him every opportunity.

There is no such thing as easy with our schedule.
I certainly hope our team isn't as overconfident with the next 2 as some of our fans.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:31 am

Normally yes, but the Bears and the Lions at home?? Come on we had to win them with or without Kameroonee.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:38 am

The Bears and Lions games will be good to tune Kam up! he has probably been sitting on the lazyboy for two months eating chips and drinking beer LOL.
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:48 am

Exactly, Bob.

This is the text I sent a friend this am about it. "He hurt himself and the team. We could be 2 n O and not behind this hill he have to to climb now. I'll forgive him, just not today. And the story lines will read we got better when he got back. We were much better defensively last week against GB. We were gonna start rippin off wins w/ or w/o him. - he'll use this as future leverage for sure and it really makes me mad."

Welcome back, I still love you - you are one of my all time faves - ya selfish prick. Now get to work!!!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:43 am

c_hawkbob wrote:He ain't gonna fire his agent.

I actually think this was pretty shrewd in the long view;

- Kam and his agent were gambling that the Seahawks would lose these first two games without him, particularly since it was obvious from the schedule release that this was possibly our toughest two game stretch of the season ...

- During the holdout it comes out that Kam plays a much greater role in the overall structure and implementation of the defense than was previously thought. Earl was though to be the catalyst but even he admitted during the holdout that it was Kam that got him line up pre-snap.

- Now, after losing the first two games and having very pedestrian defensive rankings Kam will come back and against the next few opponents we'll look like the Legion of old again and his bargaining position is much improved.

- He's coming back with no concessions from the team right now, and having lost possibly more than a million in fines and lost wages, so the Team can claim a win here but the they are already saying they will look at restructuring his deal next year, and he will more than make up that difference on the new deal

It pisses me off that he cost us two games to set himself up for next years bargaining, but I couldn't be happier he's back and have to tip my hat to his agent after all.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Kam did what he had to do, I hold no ill will against him.

Just excited to have him back in the fold, it will make everyone better from player #1-62.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:24 am

So...Now that he's back they have 54 players, who's going to get cut to make room for him?
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:33 am

depaashaas wrote:So...Now that he's back they have 54 players, who's going to get cut to make room for him?

I was wondering that, too.
I suspect someone on the PS will be cut and someone on the active roster be assigned to the PS.
Who? Maybe someone in the secondary I suspect.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:34 am

depaashaas wrote:So...Now that he's back they have 54 players, who's going to get cut to make room for him?

Doesn't matter. Somebody less important than Kam.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:10 am

You all think he is playing this week? I doubt it. Maybe Lions
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:17 am

He has to be activated at some point, so who goes when he does?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:30 am

One of our starting o-linemen, probably.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:25 pm

Do we still have 2 fullbacks on the roster? If so, I say Tukuafu
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawktown » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:04 pm

I would still bench him for a while, maybe even 3-4 weeks.
Hawktown
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:11 pm

Hawktown wrote:I would still bench him for a while, maybe even 3-4 weeks.

Just heard Pete on radio saying that he will play but not every snap, at least that's what I got out of it. "edite" just reading that I heard it wrong LOL
Last edited by depaashaas on Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:22 pm

Here's an interesting take on what went on to start the holdout:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -2016-pay/
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby The POPE » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:25 pm

I told y'all in the "Lets just say it" thread that once I arrived on American soil we could resolve this issue.
Issue resolved.

Thank you very much

The POPE
The POPE
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:04 pm

Thanks, Frank.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:06 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Here's an interesting take on what went on to start the holdout:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -2016-pay/

If that article is accurate, a huge if for sure, then it sounds like it was Schneider who was jerking Cam around and misled him. This might explain the seemingly mystifying behavior of a player nobody would have dreamed would do such a thing as hold out.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:14 pm

You do know you spell his name wrong, right? It's Kam. Not Cam.

Pete said they are going to take it one day at a time and see where he is. Kam said he's ready, Pete said we shall see.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:28 pm

Surprised, but pleasantly so.

What's done is done, and now the team and Kam can move forward.

He better stretch himself out reaaaaaally well for Sunday if he's playing.

We do not need him to return, only to pull a hamstring and miss a few games because he wasn't in football shape.

I'd actually rather not see him play at all against the Bears, to be honest. We should be able to beat Chicago without him, and he'd be able to to practice and get back up to speed for the next 11 days until we host the Lions.

Sounds like he's suiting up, though, so hope he just contributes some and comes away healthy.

It will also be very interesting how much things "progress" in his contract talks next offseason. In many ways, I don't see how the F.O. is all a sudden gonna change their philosophy here, which made sense to begin with (in terms of not redoing a deal that still has 3 yrs on it). Even a slight adjustment in Kam's favor could mean that we'll be looking at other holdouts in 2016.

We'll see.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:51 pm

I'm elated that he's back, and I hope he can repair the bridges between both management and the fans. Up until the holdout, I really liked Kam and would like to forgive him for this ill advised, incredibly selfish move.

I would imagine that the Hawks will waive the fines, but it will be interesting to see what their stance is next year. But the important thing is that he's back. We're a lot better team with him than without (No duh!)
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby SalmonBB » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:04 pm

Glad he's back as well. I enjoyed listening to his press conference with Pete Carroll. He makes a point that the fans probably didn't understand everything ... fair enough. I still hold to my belief though, that when you sign a contract, you should honor it. With that said, I'm ready to admit I don't know everything concerning this whole ordeal. I'm also ready as a fan to move forward and see this as water under the bridge. Whatever his reasons for holding out, there is no doubt that his reasons for coming back were good ones ... mainly in that he wanted to get back and support his team and teammates.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
SalmonBB
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:11 pm

What I wonder about is if he is still not 100% after last years injury. It has always been in the back of my mind that he wasn't fully recovered coming into the season and was trying to get more coin cause he saw the writing on the wall. What I mean is....once you get injured bad enough it makes you think about your future and guaranteed money.

Just my thoughts. Regardless, to me something smells fishy.

Go Hawks!

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... hawks-com/
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby Oly » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:16 pm

Hawktawk wrote:If that article is accurate, a huge if for sure, then it sounds like it was Schneider who was jerking Cam around and misled him. This might explain the seemingly mystifying behavior of a player nobody would have dreamed would do such a thing as hold out.

The fact that it is from one source--most likely from Kam's side--makes me skeptical already.

But this paragraph from that article makes me more so:

"Initially, discussions in early August between the team and Chancellor resulted in a tentative understanding as to a deal that would, as of 2016, pay Chancellor in accordance with the top safeties in the game. The Seahawks later declined to execute in 2015 a deal that would kick in for 2016, due to concerns regarding the precedent it would set for other players with multiple years remaining on their own deals."

In other words, the source is saying that the Hawks negotiated, and only at the last minute thought "Hmm, this would set a bad precedent." I highly doubt that Schneider didn't think of the precedent issue until then, or even that he would have happily renegotiated a deal with 3 years left to begin with.

I'm not saying that Kam didn't believe some version like this--maybe he did--but I just flat don't believe it's true.
Oly
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:18 pm

Distant Relative wrote:What I wonder about is if he is still not 100% after last years injury. It has always been in the back of my mind that he wasn't fully recovered coming into the season and was trying to get more coin cause he saw the writing on the wall. What I mean is....once you get injured bad enough it makes you think about your future and guaranteed money.

Just my thoughts. Regardless, to me something smells fishy.

Go Hawks!

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... hawks-com/

I honestly don't know what was going on in Kam's head, but I think your suggestion is as good of an explanation as any. Injuries and other health events, even those that are not life threatening, does things to your mind. Maybe Kam just wasn't right, physically and/or emotionally.

It's all water under the bridge now, at least until after the season. He's back and I'm ecstatic! Our chances to go back to the SB just took a giant step forward.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:46 pm

I will never understand the ire many seem to be hell bent on directing at any human being for asking for, or demanding a raise, as I would bet EVERY fan ( or damn close to it) have ALL done the SAME exact thing at some time in their lives. So many people get so incredibly hung up on the dollar amounts, that they lose site of that fact. Every person in this country, that has worked, whether for an hourly wage or a salary have entered into a contract. Verbal contracts ( ie I agree to work for x amount of dollars) are indeed contracts, and are recognized by law as such. So in essence every single person who has asked for, demanded and received a raise have "broken" their contract ( the original agreed upon compensation at the time of hire). This doesn't change, just because the amount is greater, or the contract agreed upon has a signature. Nor does a franchise place ANY importance upon that same contract whenever they see fit. Whether it be cutting the player, or forcing them to take a pay cut, or giving them an injury settlement as opposed to the agreed upon salary.

While people are busy getting bent out of shape over the "honor your word" or the " he makes millions to play a game" they COMPLETELY miss what is really happening, which has played out for the majority of people at one time or another. Kam went to his BOSS and asked for a raise, his BOSS said no, it would set a bad precedence, the EMPLOYEE said fine, then I don't want to work for you anymore. The ONLY difference is, because of the contract, said employee could not change companies within the same field, and was forced to resign himself to WORK under the original parameters of the AGREED upon compensation, or leave his field of expertise.

Neither is unique, neither is the "bad guy", the Seahawks did what they HAD to do, and Kam did what he felt was BEST for him, his family and his future. This is NOT war, it's football folks, and Kam is an employee, not a damn soldier. Employees quit, leave, call out sick, have personal matters, refuse to work for or under employers ALL the time, happens every day, across every field, and by most upset with him at one point or another.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:20 pm

I will never understand the ire many seem to be hell bent on directing at any human being for asking for, or demanding a raise, as I would bet EVERY fan ( or damn close to it) have ALL done the SAME exact thing at some time in their lives.

You better believe it, HC- just not right after I just got through signing a contract I negotiated.

Nobody blames anyone for asking for, or even playing hardball to get, a renegotiated contract. Just don't ask for sympathy from me when you start hurting the entity I root for because you're disappointed in the contract you negotiated.

I'm surprised you're giving him that sympathy. Nobody is ever going to give you that deference, nor does Kam deserve it compared with anybody else in the NFL.

Neither is unique, neither is the "bad guy"

Wrong. The Seahawks were going to give Kam every dime they agreed to give him- Kam reneged on it, though, because he thought "Oops, I should have asked for more!"

There's only one "bad guy" (to whatever degree there is one) unless you think the Seahawks are somehow to blame for Kam not liking his contract- quit dabbling in relativistic nonsense.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:51 am

HumanCockroach wrote:I will never understand the ire many seem to be hell bent on directing at any human being for asking for, or demanding a raise, as I would bet EVERY fan ( or damn close to it) have ALL done the SAME exact thing at some time in their lives. So many people get so incredibly hung up on the dollar amounts, that they lose site of that fact. Every person in this country, that has worked, whether for an hourly wage or a salary have entered into a contract. Verbal contracts ( ie I agree to work for x amount of dollars) are indeed contracts, and are recognized by law as such. So in essence every single person who has asked for, demanded and received a raise have "broken" their contract ( the original agreed upon compensation at the time of hire). This doesn't change, just because the amount is greater, or the contract agreed upon has a signature. Nor does a franchise place ANY importance upon that same contract whenever they see fit. Whether it be cutting the player, or forcing them to take a pay cut, or giving them an injury settlement as opposed to the agreed upon salary.

While people are busy getting bent out of shape over the "honor your word" or the " he makes millions to play a game" they COMPLETELY miss what is really happening, which has played out for the majority of people at one time or another. Kam went to his BOSS and asked for a raise, his BOSS said no, it would set a bad precedence, the EMPLOYEE said fine, then I don't want to work for you anymore. The ONLY difference is, because of the contract, said employee could not change companies within the same field, and was forced to resign himself to WORK under the original parameters of the AGREED upon compensation, or leave his field of expertise.

Neither is unique, neither is the "bad guy", the Seahawks did what they HAD to do, and Kam did what he felt was BEST for him, his family and his future. This is NOT war, it's football folks, and Kam is an employee, not a damn soldier. Employees quit, leave, call out sick, have personal matters, refuse to work for or under employers ALL the time, happens every day, across every field, and by most upset with him at one point or another.

If we have a vendor that signs a contract and starts into a job and suddenly stops halfway through and demands a raise, we'll sue him and we will win, and more than likely it will be the last time they do any work for us. The contractor completes their work under the terms they sign. We will consider paying more if both sides underestimated something, such as running into some unexpected environmental problem, if the price of materials suddenly went up, or if we changed the specs, but not simply to give them a raise for such things as giving their employees a buck an hour more. And if they don't complete their work on time or there is a quality issue with their work, they pay a penalty.

And please, spare us the "he did it for his family" excuse. You don't know any better than the rest of us if Kam held out for the reasons you state or if he held out for something like greed or feeding an insatiable ego. Personally, I don't know why he did it. It's as illogical of a contract dispute as I've witnessed.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:28 am

I don't think HC is offering Kam any sympathy. He's just treating it as a matter of fact occurrence. I feel the same way. I'm bothered by the spectacle it created around the Seahawks but that's me being selfish. I just can't work myself up about it to actually get angry and direct venom at Kam over his tactic.

I think the contract as sacrosanct is a specious argument. Hold outs are frowned upon but it's an accepted way of doing business in the NFL, which is why they have a penalty structure set up to sanction people who don't honor their contract instead of terminating the contract and suing for breach.

Mainly I just think it was a stupid tactic. He had no leverage from day one. He was never going to get what he wanted this year.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby Hawktown » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:15 am

HumanCockroach wrote:I will never understand the ire many seem to be hell bent on directing at any human being for asking for, or demanding a raise, as I would bet EVERY fan ( or damn close to it) have ALL done the SAME exact thing at some time in their lives. So many people get so incredibly hung up on the dollar amounts, that they lose site of that fact. Every person in this country, that has worked, whether for an hourly wage or a salary have entered into a contract. Verbal contracts ( ie I agree to work for x amount of dollars) are indeed contracts, and are recognized by law as such. So in essence every single person who has asked for, demanded and received a raise have "broken" their contract ( the original agreed upon compensation at the time of hire). This doesn't change, just because the amount is greater, or the contract agreed upon has a signature. Nor does a franchise place ANY importance upon that same contract whenever they see fit. Whether it be cutting the player, or forcing them to take a pay cut, or giving them an injury settlement as opposed to the agreed upon salary.

Half the reason the I think the fans get so upset is because they put their MUCH HARDER earned money into this sport so that the NFL can support such contracts. Also this is not Boeing where NOBODY would want to watch that as entertainment. Football is entertainment and it wouldn't be what it is if it were not for the exact people who complain about it that pay the NFL's bills.

In the end, Kam signed a contract that he felt disrespected with just a little into it when he was more than happy to sign it to begin with. He should play it out or completely expect outsiders to be "venomous" toward him. He could just retire and still have made more than most in a lifetime, I have ZERO sympathy for him. If he doesn't want to play by what he signed, He shouldn't have EVER signed anything but a 1 year deal every year.

If this were my employee, I would seriously (no matter his/her worth to my business) not let them come back and force them into retirement from that line of work. Sorry but I HATE greedy people and I fully expect a contract to be honored even if it for peanuts as I make millions.

This is why I don't work for anyone that requires a contract beyond ONE job. I will give my cost estimate as my contract and that is what I get while what is stated on the estimate is what they get no more, no less. Take it or leave it.

With that said, BENCH KAM!!!! :D
Hawktown
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:21 am

The NFL is a little different than the "real world".
There are only 32 jobs available for that position, and as we have seen there are few substitutes that are available that can do that job as well in our Defense than Kam.
So to say, "get someone else" like you are hiring a stock boy is a lot easier said than done and considerably so as in this business there are only a few windows of opportunity to be the best.
Remember it's not just about making money like other businesses, it's about being top dog.
Anything less is considered a failure.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktown » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:03 pm

I realize that the NFL is not like "the real world" but I could apply the rest of your post to "the real world" where business is not just about money but being the top dog also. In my business, there are few who can produce at a "high level" and there ARE many I would NOT let work for me for many reasons, even if they are more qualified than what is left out there. There are also few opportunities in lots of jobs out there to be the top dog.

BTW, I didn't say get someone else, I would just like to see him benched a couple games. Kam IS an asset, I also think we can do it without him though it would be tough.
Hawktown
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:45 pm

Hawktown wrote:I realize that the NFL is not like "the real world" but I could apply the rest of your post to "the real world" where business is not just about money but being the top dog also. In my business, there are few who can produce at a "high level" and there ARE many I would NOT let work for me for many reasons, even if they are more qualified than what is left out there. There are also few opportunities in lots of jobs out there to be the top dog.

BTW, I didn't say get someone else, I would just like to see him benched a couple games. Kam IS an asset, I also think we can do it without him though it would be tough.

Seattle lost two winnable games without Kam. The pass defense has been one of the worst in the league in spite of decent play and pressure from the front 7. Kam absolutely would have us at 1-1 minimum. Anyone who feels comfortable with this secondary home or away without Chancellor is delusional.

its not a good Idea to risk going 0-4 and deep sixing the season to try to prove some nefarious point. Kams the one who proved his point already.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:03 pm

c_hawkbob
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum