Do We Purposely Sandbag The 1st Half?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Do We Purposely Sandbag The 1st Half?

Postby Vegaseahawk » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:04 am

There's been some discussion about how the Seahawks have a history of starting out games slowly, & then turning it on in the 2nd half, offensively. A recent tweet by PC bolstered this theory somewhat. It's obvious that the D is king from the get go, but I picked up on a thread over on Seahawk Blue that I found interesting, & thought I'd bring it over here like stinking roadkill dragged in by the family pet.
Slow Starts, 2nd Half Domination

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQGcfRyUEAArvuS.png
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Re: Do We Purposely Sandbag The 1st Half?

Postby Anthony » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:14 am

Vegaseahawk wrote:There's been some discussion about how the Seahawks have a history of starting out games slowly, & then turning it on in the 2nd half, offensively. A recent tweet by PC bolstered this theory somewhat. It's obvious that the D is king from the get go, but I picked up on a thread over on Seahawk Blue that I found interesting, & thought I'd bring it over here like stinking roadkill dragged in by the family pet.
Slow Starts, 2nd Half Domination

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQGcfRyUEAArvuS.png[/quote]

Well for one the first 15-25 plays ( I have heard both numbers) are scripted and they do not deviate until they get through them all unless we go hurry up, no huddle, or last 2 minutes were Wilson takes over and calls the plays. In addition PC has said many times he wants a slow grind it game , were we wear them down in the first half and then do some damage in the 2nd. That is until we get a lead then they go conservative so the defense can win it, If they falter they rely on Wilson to make magic, which he does more often than not. One of the many reason I laugh when people try to blame the offense for its slow starts, that is the way PC wants it.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:49 am

I seriously doubt that Pete doesn't want us to score 'much' in the first half for fear that we'll let up if we're ahead. I don't know what it is, exactly. Do we really still script plays?
We start like we're in mud, but I'm another one that sees an offense that, right now, has other defenses licking their lips to play us. And it's not just the Offensive line . It's Russell, Marshawn, Tight Ends and receivers, too. They all seem to make dumb mistakes (did you watch #88Jimmy G. 'block' and I use that term loosely and not laugh when CBS had him isolated) and we're predictable in the first half.

What we do have is a coaching staff that does seem to be able to make some pretty good moves at half-time, at least up to the start of this year. Didn't work as we didn't finish against the Rams and GB, but, It's the finish that matters, and we've been slipping. No doubt we need to pick it up this week and then a real test against a probably undefeated Cincy.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:54 am

What the heck is that link all about? No title, no attribution, no anything. It looks like a link to a notepad text reminder someone wrote to themselves.

And Anthony, I've never seen it written as 25 scripted plays other than by you. Pete has said it's the first 15 "or so" and Holmgren used to say it was the first series or two.

A good part of the reason for scripting plays it is to judge how the opposing defense is defending different formations and personnel groupings. Information that can be invaluable to a play caller later in the game when the stakes are so much higher. It's not to intentionally give the other guys a head start.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:07 am

The Hawks style early in games may be maddeningly boring but it has been pretty effective. Being more conservative though it is important the plays that are there are made. Last Sunday after Sherman's return Wilson put it right on Ricardo Lockettes hands inside the ten for a first down and it gets dropped. So we are talking about a field goal instead of goal to go. That isn't Bevel's fault or Wilson either.Execution needs to be better.
But no question this is a second half or at least towards halftime team. I think the Hawks plan is to set the opponent up early in the game for what is coming later. They are like a heavyweight fighter, jabbing, clinching, counter punching then BAM!!!!

Its tough to argue with the results most Sundays.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:02 am

NO we don't do it intentionally. They got it backwards I think, l they should use the pass to set up the run. Instead Bevy runs the whole first half and opens up the 2nd half. IF Rawls can make some good 10-15 yard runs in the 1st or 2nd quarter than we really put points on the board with play action.
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:09 am

I doubt we won't ever deviate from the first 15 scripted plays.
What happens if the opposing team stops us and we find our selves with the first 5 drives of 3 and out?
Meanwhile the other team scores 3 TDs, would we still have the same plays? I seriously doubt they wouldn't change being down 21-0.

We've had success in the past because the run game has been able to grind it out, but this years group hasn't shown the ability yet to do that early.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:22 am

What the heck is that link all about? No title, no attribution, no anything. It looks like a link to a notepad text reminder someone wrote to themselves.

Sorry Bob, that was Danny ONiell quoting PC on twitter. The link was the only way I could get PC's twitter post referenced. I tried to copy & paste it, but that didn't work.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:33 am

No worries, just looks goofy ... I have since seen the FB post.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:09 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:And Anthony, I've never seen it written as 25 scripted plays other than by you. Pete has said it's the first 15 "or so" and Holmgren used to say it was the first series or two.

A good part of the reason for scripting plays it is to judge how the opposing defense is defending different formations and personnel groupings. Information that can be invaluable to a play caller later in the game when the stakes are so much higher. It's not to intentionally give the other guys a head start.

25 scripted plays represents more than a third of all the plays in an average game and would take up most of the first half. No way does any team script that many plays.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum