Does anyone else notice our penalty count is down?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Does anyone else notice our penalty count is down?

Postby RiverDog » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:57 pm

18 after 3 games, tied for second lowest in the league. And that's taking into consideration that we have Michael Bennett in our lineup.

We've always been one of if not the most penalized team in the league. It's only been three games so the sample size isn't very large, but there is an undeniable trend in progress. Any guesses as to why?
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Does anyone else notice our penalty count is down?

Postby Zorn76 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:28 pm

If ever there was a surprise, under-the-radar stat after 3 games, it's this one.

Very surprised, because it certainly feels like more.

It's one of the few areas that I've complained about Pete historically, yet 2 straight SB appearances tends to overshadow flaws like this. Hopefully, the lack of flags trend will continue. Our offense doesn't need to add more to a 3rd and long situation as it is.

EDIT: Anyone else noticing that certain random words in posts become links for advertising? I've seen that a few times here and on other websites lately.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:07 am

No I didn't notice, thanx for filling us in. That is one area I will be glad to quit harping on. There is nothing I hate worse than shooting our selves in the foot.

I would like to know what kind of penalties we have had. It seems to me that we already have had plenty of those flags that either stall our offense or keep our defense from getting off the field on third down. I will take it though, being at the bottom of flags called against is like a dream come true. Now, I hope they keep it up.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:26 am

ESPN posted an article where Pete talks about how he's pumped about this. Now, can they keep this up and improve the offense? That would be tremendous.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:01 pm

RiverDog wrote:18 after 3 games, tied for second lowest in the league. And that's taking into consideration that we have Michael Bennett in our lineup.

We've always been one of if not the most penalized team in the league. It's only been three games so the sample size isn't very large, but there is an undeniable trend in progress. Any guesses as to why?

Penalties down, Wins Down, Losses Up...... Is there cause\effect relationship here?
savvyman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:23 pm

savvyman wrote:Penalties down, Wins Down, Losses Up...... Is there cause\effect relationship here?

That's a common misconception. The perception is that we are more penalized because of our hard hitting, physical style, particularly on defense where a point of emphasis was instituted to try to stop Richard Sherman's hand fighting. But we really didn't get all that many personal fouls or PI/defensive holding calls last season, at least no more than any of the rest of the league. Our problem on both sides of the ball was pre snap penalties, of which we led the league in. Therefore, I don't think there the 1-2 start has anything to do with our being less penalized.

FYI here's a good website that tracks penalties. Bear in mind that our 18 penalties are only through 3 games whereas most have already played 4 games. You will note that half of our penalties are pre snap.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:16 am

One thing that stood out in the Detroit game is that we again kept the penalties down.

WTG Pete, you finally got it done! THANKS!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum