Official Seahawks vs Bengals POST Game Thread

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Official Seahawks vs Bengals POST Game Thread

Postby savvyman » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:23 pm

Well losses don't get much more disappointing than this. Weak play calling on offense and defense once we got the big lead was just what the Doctor ordered for Cincinnati.

I put this loss completely on the coaching staff.
savvyman
Legacy

Re: Official Seahawks vs Bengals POST Game Thread

Postby SalmonBB » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:28 pm

I don't put this one on the D at all. I put this on whoever decided we needed to slow things down with a full quarter of football left and a three score lead. Run left. Run left. Third and short, failed pass. Punt. How many times? Enough times to get our offense off the field, and leave our D out there the entire time. Oh yeah ... and enough times to leave our offense with 0 time to respond.

Our O was finally clicking, and then we decided to play the clock with over a quarter of football left. Kinda' like the Super Bowl. PATHETIC.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Last edited by SalmonBB on Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SalmonBB
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:29 pm

All that was needed was a first down late in the 4th quarter.
That wouldn't have left enough time for Cincinnati to tie it up.

The OL played better than last week for most of the game, but the Offense didn't have enough when it counted.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:31 pm

Worst loss since the 04' rams meltdown
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:33 pm

Why not mortgage the goodwill you have gotten with Rawls with a couple of deep play action shots? I dunno they missed a few by inches... Rough loss. It went from an anticipated loss to an anticipated win to an ugly excruciating loss. Brutal.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby SalmonBB » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:34 pm

That's what happens when your focus becomes the clock.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
SalmonBB
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:39 pm

NorthHawk wrote:All that was needed was a first down late in the 4th quarter.

The OL played better than last week for most of the game, but the Offense didn't have enough when it counted.

Guess Wilson should have stayed in the CLEAN pocket, instead of running for 0 gain on that crucial 3rd down...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:42 pm

Team Loss. Coaches included. I don't know how one can excuse the D allowing 419 yards, committing stupid key penalties, and giving up 17 points in the effin 4th quarter; it's unacceptable. Yes, the coaching and play calling sucked, yes, the lack of Jimmy (it's too early to say Evan Mathis and a 1st round o-lineman would have been preferred - but I feel that way) but this was a team loss all the way around. Top 5 defenses DON'T FIVE UP 17 points in the 4th quarter. No matter what.
Last edited by Hawk Sista on Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:43 pm

Momentum is such a cruel thing at times.
We were Rolling early, then slowly but surely, saw it all slip away.

Beyond frustrating.
Gotta keep the pedal to the medal until the clock reads 0:00.
Started to get that sinking feeling when it was 24-21, and sure enough...
2nd OT loss on the road.
Brutal.

And a nice twist of the knife to have winning overtime FG hit the upright and still go through.
Regroup for next week hosting a very scrappy Panthers team.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:47 pm

All that said, we played a really good team on the road and our o-line made strides. This season is far from over. If we can get to 4&4 at the midway poin; we will be ok. I think.

GO HAWKS!!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby tcingrum » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:50 pm

Why is it so hard for this team to throw and catch the football. We make it look so difficult. All we needed was 1 sustained drive to close it out. Darrel bevel is the one common denominator in all this.
tcingrum
Legacy

Postby SalmonBB » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:53 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:Team Loss. Coaches included. I don't know how one can excuse the D allowing 419 yards, committing stupid key penalties, and giving up 17 points in the effin 4th quarter; it's unacceptable. Yes, the coaching and play calling sucked, yes, the lack of Jimmy (it's too early to say Evan Mathis and a 1st round o-lineman would have been preferred - but I feel that way) but this was a team loss all the way around. Top 5 defenses DON'T FIVE UP 17 points in the 4th quarter. No matter what.

Sista,

I agree with you only on one point: the penalties. I could also get down on WIlliams for trying to play AJ Green close up two times in a row, but fortunately, we adjusted that.

I'm interested to see what time of possession ended up being. But the problem started after we scored the defensive TD. I got the sinking feeling on what I believe was our next possession after that, when we started running the ball and protecting it in the interest of running down the clock. I believe we easily havea Top 5 D. But that doesn't matter when you are out there the whole time. From what I saw, the D was busting their a--, and the O did NOTHING to help them. And it all happened in the last third of the game ... up till then our team was clicking.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
SalmonBB
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:13 pm

Time of possession was Hawks 30:35; Bengals 40:49.

I don't disagree and after they scored the 1st TD in their 17 point run, I had the same sick inner tummy feeling. I still maintain that this was a loss that everyone needs to wear, save a few. Kam was personally out of alignment twice leading to that opening score & you don't give up 17 points in the 4th and crow that you have an elite D. Can't convince me otherwise.

Everyone always wants to be the smart one and call out THE reason we lost. Guess what...there was not just one reason we blew a 17 point 4th quarter lead. I do agree that a 1st down or two in the 4th would have gone a very very long (game winning) way. #sickofBevel
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby SalmonBB » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:25 pm

Sista,

Well said. I still think the O deserves the majority of the blame (and I don't think it's the players) ... but I get where you are coming from, and it's a much more healthy approach than the one I'm taking. I am pretty furious, sick, etc, too. I need to get back to my family and the new puppy I brought home today ... because of them, this is really a pretty awesome day. And I guess I can hope that the Seahawks will turn this loss into something positive ... something they've done pretty well before.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
SalmonBB
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:31 pm

Well said yourself. That was generous - thank you. And I have to know...puppy? What kind? I feel better just knowing someone I like has a new puppy today. :-)
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby SalmonBB » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:35 pm

Black Golden-Doodle. She is 10 weeks old. Drove 6 hours to Western NC yesterday, then came home today. My kids, who have been asking for a dog for a long time, couldn't believe it was theirs. Pretty awesome.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
SalmonBB
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:47 pm

We knew coming in that our offense was a problem (particularly up front. The line actually showed it can work together and that it has the potential to become a solid unit. For that reason I consider today a step forward even though we lost.

Even with Russ' contract this team spends it's money on, and it's calling card is, it's DEFENSE. There is no reason 27 points should not be enough to win for this team on the road.

If you MUST assign blame for this loss, I put 70% on our defense (including coaching), 20% on our offense (including coaching) excluding Russ and 10% on Russ.

No one was perfect today (though Sweet Lou was damn close!!) so the loss is everyone's, but the way I see it progress was made on offense and our defense took a step back.

The good news about our defensive problems is that it is largely correctable. Both those TD's that blew right by Kam were communication issues. He did't even try to cover! It's obvious to me (especially because he did exactly the same thing the second time) that he saw the receiver as being Earl's responsibility. Substitute those 7's for 3's and there is no OT and everything's a party right now instead of the end of the world.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:09 pm

Agreed, Bob. I might assign different percentages to who's fault it is, but there's enough blame to go around and that would be totally splitting hairs. And while I don't really believe in the concept of a moral victory (or whatever you wanna call it) I do think that there were some things to give me hope.

Meanwhile, the Cards are killing the Lions. They really are quite good. YIKES

SB&B - Congrats!!!! What a very special day for you. Let us know what you name the lil' pup. :-)
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:16 pm

I switch the % around, Bob with 80% on Offense including the coaching.
The O didn't convert a 3rd down for the last 5 consecutive possessions and all that was needed was a first down on one of the last 3 possessions. A single 1st down or 3rd down conversion would have left very little time for the Bengals to tie it up.

They shut down what was successful early, but the play calling didn't adapt. Pete said after the game that the Offense didn't change in the second half. We have to wonder why no changes were made when they shut down what was working.

I agree, the OL looked good for most of the game, but with only 27 yards of Offense in the 4th quarter, the Defense can't be blamed and for another game, the O only contributed 17 points.

Both Wagner and Hill were hurt this game. Hills presence was clearly missed late.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:39 pm

Really? I must have watched a different version as I watched the Bengals convert 3rd down after 3rd down during crunch time. Realizing the symbiotic nature of football, one has to acknowledge the failures on offense/play-calling, but you head into the 4th Quarter w/ a 17 point lead with the "#2" D in the league, you should absolutely win. It's not like the O turned it over and the Bengals had short fields. Dalton & company marched it right down the length of the field three straight times to tie the game and then again to win in OT (yes, I realize the O had 2 chances in OT and blew it).

I know calls were botched both ways. That hit on Balwin shoulda drawn a flag and there were other BS calls and no-calls (as is always the case)...but we were pretty fortunate (IMHO) to get the holding call against Bruce and a few others - if we are being honest. Again, plenty of room for blame to go around. Plenty of reason for hope.

Glass half full! Go Hawks!!!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:45 pm

I meant the Seahawks didn't convert 3rd downs.
My apologies for the lack of clarity.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Oly » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:06 pm

I put most of the blame on Bevell, plain and simple.

In terms of players, though, it's on the defense. On a Carroll-coached team that has $$ thrown at the defense to play a low-scoring, ball-control game, I put more blame on defense than offense. Yeah, the offense wasn't doing anything in the 4th quarter, but as a team if you are built like the Hawks, you should be winning games where you have 24 points on the board.
Oly
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:37 pm

NorthHawk wrote:All that was needed was a first down late in the 4th quarter.

Couldn't agree with you more, you are saying what I was saying. Even more crazy, if offense get'ts two I mean two first downs in latter part of 4th quarter the bengals may not even have enough time to score that last td either and Hawks go home with 10 point win.
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:02 pm

depaashaas wrote:
Couldn't agree with you more, you are saying what I was saying. Even more crazy, if offense get'ts two I mean two first downs in latter part of 4th quarter the bengals may not even have enough time to score that last td either and Hawks go home with 10 point win.

o I have kind of stayed off the forums from a posting perspective lately. Mainly because in some of them it is laughable. This forum is my favorite and so here we go.

We lost first because of a change in philosophy once we got a lead. We went prevent on defense and offense and that was stupid and that is all on coaching, period. Yes there were plays that could have changed things, kam misplaying of 2 tds, Bennetts stupid penalties, oline stupid penalties, Lockette not dragging his foot, dropping a pass that hits him in the hands, not having Rawls in in OT, bad bad play calling, can anyone say run, run pass. Etc etc. But first and foremost not staign aggressive. All that said this team is built and PC has said it many many times on defense he wants a conservative, low To offense, then get a lead and let the defense win it for you. Well guess what right now they cannot. We are 2-10 in games were the other team scores 24 or more points, however in 9 of those losses we had a lead late into the 4th qtr and our defense could not keep it, and then the offense had to try to pull off a miracle. That is not how you play smart football. So once again like with the letting off of the gas pedal it falls on the coaches first and foremost.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:22 pm

Any loss is ultimately on everybody but I am going to blame our offense a little more than most in here. This wasn't chopped liver the LOB was lining up against. Seattle was playing a loaded offensive machine that was scoring on everyone. Our D spent an extra 10 minutes on the field because we could get a couple of damn first downs and close the deal. The pick by Wilson cost us at least 3 on a force to Graham. Dropped balls, Russ.....I dont know I have to go watch the film again. Could someone smart please tell us what was going on?Since RW got here in 2012 and this defense coalesced the Hawks have been about late game magic.Starting with SB 49 there hasnt been much magic lately . This team is dangerously close to irrelevance right now. Another must win coming up next Sunday but even at 3-3 they wouldn't be a shell of the team last year at that mark.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:37 pm

Anthony wrote:
We lost first because of a change in philosophy once we got a lead. We went prevent on defense and offense and that was stupid and that is all on coaching, period.

Yes Anthony you are right on - some people insist on over-complicating what is a pretty simple and accurate conclusion to reach.

Next time let the F@#$#@#$ Players Play.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:40 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Any loss is ultimately on everybody but I am going to blame our offense a little more than most in here. This wasn't chopped liver the LOB was lining up against. Seattle was playing a loaded offensive machine that was scoring on everyone. Our D spent an extra 10 minutes on the field because we could get a couple of damn first downs and close the deal. The pick by Wilson cost us at least 3 on a force to Graham. Dropped balls, Russ.....I dont know I have to go watch the film again. Could someone smart please tell us what was going on?Since RW got here in 2012 and this defense coalesced the Hawks have been about late game magic.Starting with SB 49 there hasnt been much magic lately . This team is dangerously close to irrelevance right now. Another must win coming up next Sunday but even at 3-3 they wouldn't be a shell of the team last year at that mark.

The magic you speak of has always been Wilson, well unfortunately there are a few new issues, 1 the OL is worse than ever, 2 play calling has been worse than ever, 3 at least this year there is less Rw running the show in OT than in years past. It appears that Bevel is keeping his hand on the reigns more in OT, you can see in how the plays are run and called.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:23 pm

The blame starts and ends with one person, Pete Carroll. PC is the guy who hired Bevell and has stuck with him even though he cost us a Super Bowl win last season. PC is also the guy who told KR to go conservative on defense. I am sure Pete also told Bevell to keep it conservative too.

I hang this loss 100% on Pete Carroll.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:02 pm

Well, the D pissed down their legs, but at least the offense was inept.

Sooo discouraging.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:46 pm

I need to get back to my family and the new puppy I brought home today ... because of them, this is really a pretty awesome day.

Congrats on the new family member. We have had Bull Terriers in our home for years. Maybe an appropriate name for your pup would be Owie, or Choker, lol...Such a disappointing loss. I was encouraged by the quick start, & the aggressive play calling. The problem is that the Seahawks didn't maintain it for 60 min. And then to get 2 shots in OT & come up short. Thats not what championship teams do. They step on the neck & finish it. Where is our killer instinct?
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:29 am

It seems to me the Bengals made some half time adjustments on Defense to stop what was successful for us in the first half.
Our play calling didn't adjust to their adjustments and we were pretty much stopped cold in the 4th Quarter.

I think the OL took a big step today. They opened up some good holes which they hadn't done much of in the previous games and with a few exceptions the pass protection didn't look like a jail break like it did at times against the Lions. The 4th quarter was a disappointment, though.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:03 am

NorthHawk wrote:It seems to me the Bengals made some half time adjustments on Defense to stop what was successful for us in the first half.
Our play calling didn't adjust to their adjustments and we were pretty much stopped cold in the 4th Quarter.

I think the OL took a big step today. They opened up some good holes which they hadn't done much of in the previous games and with a few exceptions the pass protection didn't look like a jail break like it did at times against the Lions. The 4th quarter was a disappointment, though.

for 3 qtrs. the oline looked good, then came 4th and OT and same old same old/ The Bengals adjustments actually came after 3rd qtr and we did nothing
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:27 am

Last 4 blown leads. SB 10 points 4th quarter. Rams and Pack 7 point lead. Bengals 17 point lead. 4 blown leads in the last 7 games. Other than the Pack its fair to say the Hawks are about a play a game from back to back lombardis and sitting at 4-1 or 5-0.
Its maddening.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:13 am

You have to go back more than a decade to find a blown 4th quarter lead of this size.

Everybody complaining so hard about the offense losing us this game needs to take a minute and soak that in ...

We knew the offense had problems; coming off the worst O-line performance in recent memory and without the player around whom our offense is built. They played much better than we had a right to expect through the 2nd and 3 quarters, we almost had to expect them to struggle at some point (this was an undefeated team we were playing and it was in their house), but defense is supposed to be this team's calling card, blowing a 17 point 4th quarter lead is inexcusable.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:05 am

Defense needed to get off the field. But the offense went from moving the ball to giving up and going 3 and out over and over again. It was a team effort in the 2nd half to lose it. I have to say I'm about over Darrell Bevell. The last time I remember complimenting his play calling was shortly after the PI forum closed.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:04 am

It was a team effort in the 2nd half to lose it. I have to say I'm about over Darrell Bevell.

I'll second both of these.

The D choked on a 17pt lead like a dog with a chicken bone, and the offense gained almost literally nothing for over a quarter (iirc), and Bevell doesn't seem to be able to dial up *anything* way too often to make me comfortable.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:49 am

Kalibane; You are over Bevell only NOW??? You really held out a long time.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:49 pm

I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt for a very long time partly because that's just my nature when I don't have prior knowledge of a player or coach and partly because I have seen some weeks in the past where Bevell really did call a brilliant game. I started to get off the bus last year when it seemed like the only way he could figure out to get Harvin the ball was on a fly sweep. The last play of the Super Bowl put me on Defcon 2 for how ridiculous the combination of the play call and personnel package was. Now the inability to figure out how to use Jimmy Graham just tears it for me. It doesn't take a lot of creativity to get a TE involved in an offense if you have a talented one. And it has nothing to do with unrealistic expectations based on what he did in New Orleans. No one expects him to have the same production he had in NO. I do expect him to be more productive than Zach Miller.

It's also why it makes me laugh that some people are acting like this offensive line thing is coming out of left field. The issues on the offensive line have been simmering for 3 seasons now. The idea that we're supposed to have faith that it's going to all of a sudden reverse course after three seasons of steady decline and practically zero talent investment is kind of naïve. How long are people supposed to be patient? I've given it 3 seasons since it first got on my radar. Enough is a enough...
kalibane
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:46 pm

kalibane wrote:I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt for a very long time partly because that's just my nature when I don't have prior knowledge of a player or coach and partly because I have seen some weeks in the past where Bevell really did call a brilliant game. I started to get off the bus last year when it seemed like the only way he could figure out to get Harvin the ball was on a fly sweep. The last play of the Super Bowl put me on Defcon 2 for how ridiculous the combination of the play call and personnel package was. Now the inability to figure out how to use Jimmy Graham just tears it for me. It doesn't take a lot of creativity to get a TE involved in an offense if you have a talented one. And it has nothing to do with unrealistic expectations based on what he did in New Orleans. No one expects him to have the same production he had in NO. I do expect him to be more productive than Zach Miller.

It's also why it makes me laugh that some people are acting like this offensive line thing is coming out of left field. The issues on the offensive line have been simmering for 3 seasons now. The idea that we're supposed to have faith that it's going to all of a sudden reverse course after three seasons of steady decline and practically zero talent investment is kind of naïve. How long are people supposed to be patient? I've given it 3 seasons since it first got on my radar. Enough is a enough...

There have been a few times where I've felt that a few of us were like the proverbial frogs in the water pointing out that it's starting to warm up while others were saying it wasn't because it didn't happen yesterday. Now it's being noticed by most that this OL issue is a concern. I think that group made some good progress yesterday, but they need to improve a lot more if they want to dominate the Line of Scrimmage like they need to to have a sustained run attack. The play calling was such that I don't think it helped late in the game when the Bengals DL upped their game. Not knowing how to use Graham is really weird to most observers. I still think they are trying to make him into something he is not.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:57 pm

They were good for 2.5 quarters until Cincy figured out the plan was going to be pound Rawls and they adjusted. Why in gods name not strike while the iron is hot? Off a 70 pus yard TD you go play action to Rawls on 1st or second down, roll Wilson out right and drag Graham across the formation with a deep option 20 yards behind him Lockette or Kearse. Ive seen them run it a zillion times already the last 5 years WTF! It just never got called. Maybe Bevell does need to go.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum